Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know God *can* use any method He wishes to communicate with us. I'm just trying to figure out what is actually coming from Him or not.

For instance, I will see an ad, read a blog or something of that nature that coincides with thoughts I'm having and I'm wondering if God is telling me what He wants me to do through those things. But then I'm not entirely sure, so I don't want to go against what He's telling me by not following what I'm seeing. I'll try to make it make sense.

Here's an example (and this isn't actually what I'm seeing in particular): seeing information everywhere about becoming a missionary or hearing people talk about it and it correlates with thoughts at the same moment, like say I'm thinking about my desire to become a researcher and as I'm having that thought, an ad pops up about being a missionary or someone on the radio talks about their story. Or having a thought about what God wants from me and a Christian leader starts talking about the calling for a missionary. So then I feel like God is saying no, He doesn't want me to do what I originally wanted to, but to be a missionary instead and then I'll wonder if I'm not following Him if I try to pursue what I wanted. Hopefully that makes sense! Again, this wasn't my particular case, but I will get things like this for different themes in my life. Coincidences that just seem to line up and match the thoughts I'm having, whether it be through conversation with someone, something I read, something I see, etc. I just don't know what to make of it all and how to go about it. I don't want to disobey God! I'll keep seeing all these coincidences that seem like signs, and at the same time I feel sad if God is telling me He doesn't want me to have my desires.

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know God *can* use any method He wishes to communicate with us. I'm just trying to figure out what is actually coming from Him or not.

For instance, I will see an ad, read a blog or something of that nature that coincides with thoughts I'm having and I'm wondering if God is telling me what He wants me to do through those things. But then I'm not entirely sure, so I don't want to go against what He's telling me by not following what I'm seeing. I'll try to make it make sense.

Here's an example (and this isn't actually what I'm seeing in particular): seeing information everywhere about becoming a missionary or hearing people talk about it and it correlates with thoughts at the same moment, like say I'm thinking about my desire to become a researcher and as I'm having that thought, an ad pops up about being a missionary or someone on the radio talks about their story. Or having a thought about what God wants from me and a Christian leader starts talking about the calling for a missionary. So then I feel like God is saying no, He doesn't want me to do what I originally wanted to, but to be a missionary instead and then I'll wonder if I'm not following Him if I try to pursue what I wanted. Hopefully that makes sense! Again, this wasn't my particular case, but I will get things like this for different themes in my life. Coincidences that just seem to line up and match the thoughts I'm having, whether it be through conversation with someone, something I read, something I see, etc. I just don't know what to make of it all and how to go about it. I don't want to disobey God! I'll keep seeing all these coincidences that seem like signs, and at the same time I feel sad if God is telling me He doesn't want me to have my desires.
My Experience has been GOD does things in 3's when he first blessed me with his Holy Spirit, then too did i see him confirm in 3's i was watching Jesus Of nazereth, and the part where he says 'once was lost but now is found" played 3 times, and the video feed never skipped or broke. (Mind you he didn't need to do this due to how very vivid the LORDS Holy Spirit felt,(hallelujah)i also burnt for 3 days(i was watching it on youtube) shortly after when i first heard his voice and was being disobedient, i kept seeing 'the world isn't worth your soul" back to back to back from different sources and almost immediately right after each other fast forward to when he accepted my repentance and i awoke with GLADNESS( Hallelujah) in my heart (mind you at the time i had no real knowledge of scripture and had just been listening to Psalms because of a relative suggesting it) that morning as i slept before waking to a heart full of gladness hallelujah! the LORD kept awaking me to Psalms 121:8 it happened 3 times// These are Just My experiences though. Good luck and GOD Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Most of us don't want to admit it, but this is a form of subconscious confirmation bias. When we think about something long enough, our mind will develop a fixation on things around us that relate to our thoughts, and often it seems as though the universe is telling us something. If someone bought a brand new car, for example, sometimes they may begin to notice that there are more people in town that drive that same model, and they will say themselves, "Huh, I never realized how popular this car is." In reality, other people already had the same kind of car, they simply never paid attention until they bought a car like them. This is actually how some marketing strategies work. They have figured out that if they can advertise their product enough times, consumers like you will be more likely to buy it later down the road. You collect a lot of information day to day, and much of that is stored in your subconscious mind. When you go to sleep at night, your dreams often happen to be things that you did or thought about prior. Dreaming is sort of an info dump for your subconscious mind when the day is done.

Now, this isn't to say that God can't use this, but we should be careful of attributing every instance to be God's purpose for us.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Experience has been GOD does things in 3's when he first blessed me with his Holy Spirit, then too did i see him confirm in 3's i was watching Jesus Of nazereth, and the part where he says 'once was lost but now is found" played 3 times, and the video feed never skipped or broke. (Mind you he didn't need to do this due to how very vivid the LORDS Holy Spirit felt,(hallelujah)i also burnt for 3 days(i was watching it on youtube) shortly after when i first heard his voice and was being disobedient, i kept seeing 'the world isn't worth your soul" back to back to back from different sources and almost immediately right after each other fast forward to when he accepted my repentance and i awoke with GLADNESS( Hallelujah) in my heart (mind you at the time i had no real knowledge of scripture and had just been listening to Psalms because of a relative suggesting it) that morning as i slept before waking to a heart full of gladness hallelujah! the LORD kept awaking me to Psalms 121:8 it happened 3 times// These are Just My experiences though. Good luck and GOD Bless
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great that you were led to salvation. It definitely also helps when there is scripture to back up how you are feeling led.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of us don't want to admit it, but this is a form of subconscious confirmation bias. When we think about something long enough, our mind will develop a fixation on things around us that relate to our thoughts, and often it seems as though the universe is telling us something. If someone bought a brand new car, for example, sometimes they may begin to notice that there are more people in town that drive that same model, and they will say themselves, "Huh, I never realized how popular this car is." In reality, other people already had the same kind of car, they simply never paid attention until they bought a car like them. This is actually how some marketing strategies work. They have figured out that if they can advertise their product enough times, consumers like you will be more likely to buy it later down the road. You collect a lot of information day to day, and much of that is stored in your subconscious mind. When you go to sleep at night, your dreams often happen to be things that you did or thought about prior. Dreaming is sort of an info dump for your subconscious mind when the day is done.

Now, this isn't to say that God can't use this, but we should be careful of attributing every instance to be God's purpose for us.
Thank you so much for your reply. Confirmation bias does sound pretty relevant; it can still be hard though to realize the difference when the things that you're fixated on seem to happen right when you're thinking of them!

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's great that you were led to salvation
Not Quite there yet, Can't wait till my Mind is Liberated<3 so all my thoughts are his<3 LORD willing, It'll be in his time and even be it not, I'll love him still. (just wish i wasn't so froward)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here's an example (and this isn't actually what I'm seeing in particular): seeing information everywhere about becoming a missionary or hearing people talk about it and it correlates with thoughts at the same moment, like say I'm thinking about my desire to become a researcher and as I'm having that thought, an ad pops up about being a missionary or someone on the radio talks about their story. Or having a thought about what God wants from me and a Christian leader starts talking about the calling for a missionary. So then I feel like God is saying no, He doesn't want me to do what I originally wanted to, but to be a missionary instead and then I'll wonder if I'm not following Him if I try to pursue what I wanted.
God leads in a number of ways and those are some of them -- but normally he uses multiple channels at the same time if one specific thing is what He wants of you and of course always check with the Bible as your guide. "Wait upon the Lord" do move rashley and do not be too slow when His will is made clear. Look for the elders in spiritual matters that God has put into your life - to add wisdom and insight into your situation.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Not coincidence I don't think but best to ask him directly.. I have the same occurrences. I know it's very hard to let go of what we think we want but the key word is trusting his way is higher than ours. (This is what I am learning lately). It's possible too, you already know the answer to your question, I also do this over-analysing thing in my mind when I'm not quite ready to accept the answer that was already given.

To look at it from another angle is to approach God with curiosity in your prayer.. missionary might not mean in a traditional sense, God may have a plan that's nothing like what you imagine when you hear the word 'missionary'...

• Informative
Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not Quite there yet, Can't wait till my Mind is Liberated<3 so all my thoughts are his<3 LORD willing, It'll be in his time and even be it not, I'll love him still. (just wish i wasn't so froward)
This is interesting...so you don't believe you are saved yet or you don't want to be? I don't think you can love the Lord and not be saved. Perhaps you are unaware that you are already!

Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God leads in a number of ways and those are some of them -- but normally he uses multiple channels at the same time if one specific thing is what He wants of you and of course always check with the Bible as your guide. "Wait upon the Lord" do move rashley and do not be too slow when His will is made clear. Look for the elders in spiritual matters that God has put into your life - to add wisdom and insight into your situation.
Thank you. I wish things were clearer for me! Sometimes, the things I think might be from God, would be still good things to do regardless. I'm just not sure if He specifically wants me to do them or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not coincidence I don't think but best to ask him directly.. I have the same occurrences. I know it's very hard to let go of what we think we want but the key word is trusting his way is higher than ours. (This is what I am learning lately). It's possible too, you already know the answer to your question, I also do this over-analysing thing in my mind when I'm not quite ready to accept the answer that was already given.

To look at it from another angle is to approach God with curiosity in your prayer.. missionary might not mean in a traditional sense, God may have a plan that's nothing like what you imagine when you hear the word 'missionary'...
So you are saying that you do think God is speaking like this when you said you have the same occurrences?
It's hard, because I do pray, but then seem to end up getting more of these coincidences.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is interesting...so you don't believe you are saved yet or you don't want to be? I don't think you can love the Lord and not be saved. Perhaps you are unaware that you are already!
It's a bit more complex than that.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you are saying that you do think God is speaking like this when you said you have the same occurrences?
It's hard, because I do pray, but then seem to end up getting more of these coincidences.
If it is backed by scripture and true to Gods character revealed in the bible (and as we know personally from our own experiences). Then yes I do. But you have to get a direct line to him to be sure.

I haven't yet had God lead me into my purpose yet because I've just returned to Christianity in the past year, but he speaks to me in my testing in this way and when I've prayed, he always answers, even if it takes my stubborn butt a while to 'get it' or even 'accept' it. Hence, why I say, maybe deep down you already know but you aren't ready to accept because you have your sights/heart set on something else you think will be better suited.. my experience so far tells me, I try my best to get what my heart truly desires my way, but it always ends in either disappointment or like something is missing.. I'm not really 'satisfied'. So because God already knows the way (he's already walked ahead of us), so he knows what the outcome of each decision we make will be - I'm beginning to let go of what I think I want and just trust he knows what is best. It's scary but kind of liberating at the same time. :)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it is backed by scripture and true to Gods character revealed in the bible (and as we know personally from our own experiences). Then yes I do. But you have to get a direct line to him to be sure.

I haven't yet had God lead me into my purpose yet because I've just returned to Christianity in the past year, but he speaks to me in my testing in this way and when I've prayed, he always answers, even if it takes my stubborn butt a while to 'get it' or even 'accept' it. Hence, why I say, maybe deep down you already know but you aren't ready to accept because you have your sights/heart set on something else you think will be better suited.. my experience so far tells me, I try my best to get what my heart truly desires my way, but it always ends in either disappointment or like something is missing.. I'm not really 'satisfied'. So because God already knows the way (he's already walked ahead of us), so he knows what the outcome of each decision we make will be - I'm beginning to let go of what I think I want and just trust he knows what is best. It's scary but kind of liberating at the same time. :)
mind if i pm you? i Got a question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I wish things were clearer for me! Sometimes, the things I think might be from God, would be still good things to do regardless. I'm just not sure if He specifically wants me to do them or not.
I see many Christians including myself in that spot at times. But it always seems to work itself out over time if we just wait a bit and ask God for clarity. Sometimes I pray something like "Lord I am willing to do this - but you need to confirm to me that it is really what you want" --- then wait.

Jesus said "let each man take his sword" - Peter took a sword ... and then on the night Jesus was captured Peter boldly drew his sword because in his mind "what could be more right - than being willing to stand alone against the entire mob - for the sake of defending my Lord"... yet it was the wrong thing to do as Jesus then pointed out to him.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where we ask and to whom really matters. Some are spirit filed some are not. Some will disagree with just that. Yes all this matters. Some believe God talks today some do not.

Here are two. We were about to got to Church Sunday night and I said "Lord I know you called me can you please tell me again. You said in your word by the mouth of two or three". Now I just said that never giving it any thought what so ever. We had been going to this Church for like 6-7 years at that time. So that night 3 people came up to me saying "I should be a preacher, you should be in the ministry" Like that. Now you might think so what. Well remember 6-7 years going there and up to that night not one person ever said anything like that to me or after. Most if not all will tell you.. what God did there almost never happens that fast.

We moved to Denver my mom for the 1st time said it would be nice if we were there. So we moved there. Well months had passed and I was just talking to the lord not really asking I said "remember when that preacher came to our door (Yeah who does this any more and it was the Church we went to for over 7 years). We don't know where to go here .. be nice if you did that again". I was just talking not really asking. About a week or so later one night a knock on the door it was a old man asking for so and so. I said sorry wrong house. He turns to walk away and stops says "no the lord would not have me go to the wrong house with out a reason. So comes back hands me this card.. he was a preacher. Believed every thing I do as in the word of God.

Last one.. When I was 20 or so our Church would go to other Churches and sing and pray for the sick. Well in some city after Sunday Church I went for a walk alone and said "lord I know you called me I just don't know to what". So that Sunday night we sing then go start to pray for the people. Well I notice off to my left Roy was not praying for someone they were praying for him. My first thought was ooh maybe he will pray for me. WHY I thought that no clue lol. So I go over there.. didn't say a word. The man takes his hands off Roy puts them on me and said "My son I have called you but you don't know to what but I will open all the doors. You have great faith..." so on and so on. Even duh knowing that was God I still went to my pastor and asked if his word can be trusted.

Yes there are so many ways He can talk He will ALWAYS back it up by His word. Its why we are told to always test the spirit. Just a few days ago asking about.. I know but you forget sometimes "prayer". I have this book that never read through it. He said "page 38". Sure you know your just guessing. Top of the page? "PRAYER" just the one word. Don't you ever wonder why some times you think about someone you have not for some time? Hes telling you something. Don't want to but yesterday happen to me. I was just doing something and "Kenny" popped in my head (brother) yeah we don't talk other them maybe once a year. I thought YES I need to call him. Not long after that he calls I say.. WOW I was just thinking about you and he just starts to brake down and cry. Hes 64 me 61. His daughter Monic 23 maybe that same day taken to the hospital put in a coma tube in her and rushed to another hospital. Doc thinks its covid..they were not to sure yet. No its ok.. Jesus Christ is still who He said He is and has not changed :)

Its OK to expect to ask God to confirm His word since He said He does. Now myself I would not be looking for answers from God on some TV show or some random sign if talking about a ministry. Ministry which He starts we don't. If I want to hear more from God then I must pray and seek Him and praise sing to Him and wait on Him. I go in to that knowing He will. We walk by faith not how we feel. Seek Him.. haha Hes GOD He can take anything you say. You can get mad say things wrong or right and trust me.. Hes God He can take it. Its the fact we always COME to Him no matter what. Learn to listen..ooh thats a worship song.

For me in all these kind of moments I never once ever had to wonder. If I do i put it on a shelve and keep going. He has talked to me through music so many times but...never worldly music and it always goes in line with His word. ALL the times its for the good up lifts helps me others. Always has a peace in it. Another thing to look for. KNOW THIS.... its song but true...your desire is the confirmation the destination is there. He would not put in your spirit if it was not going somewhere.

• Love
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most if not all will tell you.. what God did there almost never happens that fast
Sometime after the LORD heard My prayer and Blessed me with His Holy Spirit. ( Hallelujah )
I had it in my mind at the start of my trip to ride my bike from New York To TN
I found myself cold, under a bridge and some miles from shelter, there was still snow on the ground and it was raining plus sunlight was fading fast
I being worried that I'd get sick or worse
Prayed to the LORD under a Bridge, no sooner than I finished a Man in a Red van Pulled up
Offered me a ride, The other Half of the Sandwich his wife had made him and
Told me that if i could make it to his antiques shop in ohio (while giving me his business card) That he had a cot i could use in the back. Hallelujah
At the TIME the LORD had called me out of my life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hmmm.... and I posted a post of being a missionary yesterday. Take it from me.... I'm a missionary. You need to be really convinced that you should be a missionary. Living in another culture can be very draining... Especially if it is a third world country. Now, I love it, but it's not for someone, who isn't convinced, or will later on doubt, whether they should be there. The vast majority of missionaries leave the field within one year.... It's like I've heard guys tell me that they need to get married to someone.... maybe God is telling them to get married to this girl named Josie.... All of a sudden they see the name Josie all over the place. That's not God telling them. That's them all of a sudden being aware of how many times the name Josie appears around them, whereas before they would not have noticed it.
If you want to know how God speaks to you. I made a video about that. It's very short. Here it is.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's not for someone, who isn't convinced, or will later on doubt, whether they should be there.
There's also many Christians of Today who have it in their mind they want to be this or that, (usually Pastor, called to start their own ministry). They convince themselves God called them into it, when sometimes it's their view on what it means to serve God which is limited.

Upvote 0