Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I doubt because I have not knowingly been aware of "being caught". Perhaps I was caught many times and am just not aware of it.
...Some people can easily point to times when they were certain of God's s actions. I can't and I find that disturbing.

That's clearer now. So it's not a matter of God holding a grudge so much as you not being able to feel within yourself that he cares.

Reactions: Doubting Lyle
Upvote 0

Doubting Lyle

Oct 15, 2020
suburb of Chicago, IL
✟8,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's clearer now. So it's not a matter of God holding a grudge so much as you not being able to feel within yourself that he cares.
Yes, that's a fair statement.
Everything relating to receiving God's graces, feeling his presence and love, knowing his plan for us - everything related to knowing God in a positive way requires that humans learn a lesson, jump a hurdle, or pass a test. It seems to be an all or nothing proposition; there is no sliding scale. Not everyone can pass the tests; we might get 70%. Shouldn't that be worth something? I know this is twisted, human thinking, but doesn't it make sense?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's a fair statement.
Everything relating to receiving God's graces, feeling his presence and love, knowing his plan for us - everything related to knowing God in a positive way requires that humans learn a lesson, jump a hurdle, or pass a test. It seems to be an all or nothing proposition; there is no sliding scale. Not everyone can pass the tests; we might get 70%. Shouldn't that be worth something? I know this is twisted, human thinking, but doesn't it make sense?
I'd say that it depends on what you think God expects. He knows that even the just man falls seven times a day. But he forgives.

That's the point of the Gospel. We are found wanting--if it's our own record that God judges by when we face him. But it's not. He forgives our lapses so long as we try to live according to his will and we believe in Christ as He who already has paid the price for our sins.

Upvote 0

Ananias

Oct 20, 2020
Florida
✟9,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm reminded of the trust-building exercise where a person or persons stand behind you and you are supposed to let yourself fall backward, assuming the person/s will catch you. The trust comes as you believe and have faith that you will indeed be caught. This is a simple exercise and one that I imagine quite a bit. If I intentionally let myself fall backward (submit to God's will), will he in fact catch me (fulfill his promises)?

Jesus Christ quotes Isa 7:12 in Luke 4:12 when Satan tempts him, saying, "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test."

This is Jesus' way of saying that God works to his own purposes and to his own greater glory, not to ours. We cannot "test" God by devising ways to see if he works in our favor or not.

What befalls us on this earth, our successes, our trials and errors and hardships, is all done to make us stronger in our faith so that we may glorify God. This is the entire theme of the book of Job. We do not trust God to save us from physical harm or mental anguish; in a fallen world, God promises us no such safety. Through our own sin, we are opened up to pain and suffering as long as we live. We will die in the end, as all humans must.

Our trust in God is that, if we remain faithful and true, we will be raised up on the Last Day and abide in Heaven with him. That is the promise of God: salvation through his son, Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0