Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This means God chose to have a brain while not having one.
Yes, sort of. It's not possible for our created brains to comprehend the nature of the Un-created Creator. We can neither comprehend the Divine Essence, nor the Divine Persons. God is simply beyond all comprehension by creatures. What is impossible to us is not impossible to God. To be subject to determinism on the basis of nature is applicable to creatures, but not to the Creator.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope you don't believe God also moves the will of a serial killer to keep murdering.
It's part of his wrath on the world. Nothing moves of itself. He moves all according to his plan.
“I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” Isaiah 45:7 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does God have a free will? Does he will his attributes? Or do his attributes determine his will?

I believe God does not have a free will. Because He is love. And He is perfect. And any change in his will determined by love and righteousness would be to imperfection.
free will in practice is used to describe sovereignty over choices. We can turn free will into something that is impossible but this is not beneficial and it would mean we should stop using the term altogether calling it a logical facility and think of something else to use. It's a word (2 words actually) that carries meaning, I would rather approach it with meaning we can grasp than approach it with a concept so abstract that even God can't touch it. God is sovereign so he has free will.

the question I think you really want to approach here is that if God doesn't have free will then certainly we don't (and I think this puts it in the strawman category). Using your definition of free will, free will itself doesn't exist so it would be a moot point but if we approach the concept in a more practical way it turns into simply do we have power over the choices we make? I think this is a more beneficial question that has real answers over abstract non-sense like can God make a rock so big that he can't lift it because anyone who asks that question just misses the point.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
free will in practice is used to describe sovereignty over choices. We can turn free will into something that is impossible but this is not beneficial and it would mean we should stop using the term altogether calling it a logical facility and think of something else to use. It's a word (2 words actually) that carries meaning, I would rather approach it with meaning we can grasp than approach it with a concept so abstract that even God can't touch it. God is sovereign so he has free will.

the question I think you really want to approach here is that if God doesn't have free will then certainly we don't (and I think this puts it in the strawman category). Using your definition of free will, free will itself doesn't exist so it would be a moot point but if we approach the concept in a more practical way it turns into simply do we have power over the choices we make? I think this is a more beneficial question that has real answers over abstract non-sense like can God make a rock so big that he can't lift it because anyone who asks that question just misses the point.
God freely chose according to his nature all that will ever be and its assigned path. This is the basis for his omniscience. So he is not learning anything from what he planned and created. This plan is unchangeable being perfect. ny change would deny omniscience and his perfection.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,663.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's part of his wrath on the world. Nothing moves of itself. He moves all according to his plan.
“I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” Isaiah 45:7 (KJV 1900)

... Not evil, calamity

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... Not evil, calamity
“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” John 3:36 (KJV 1900)

Can you think of any examples of this?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,663.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” John 3:36 (KJV 1900)

Can you think of any examples of this?

It's about the day of judgement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,663.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about the wrath you see all around you. The wrath of God ABIDES = presently. Also in the future present.

It's the result of sin and evil my friend.

We were all children of wrath. (Eph 2)

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,663.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not those who believe in Christ.

Eph 2
1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eph 2
1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
Those chosen for salvation must be saved. Limited wrath.

Upvote 0