USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You still have not given a reference to a specific scripture, but now other's interpretations. The New Testament is the fulfillment of the Old as is shown repeatedly in the New Testament. Jesus fulfilled hundreds of prophesies that predated his life on Earth by at least several hundred years. Some people in the past incorrectly interpreted what the prophesies meant, but this does not mean the Old and New Testaments are contradictory. It means as you have replied, their interpretation is contradictory.

So I ask you again can you give specific verses where the Old and New Testaments are contradictory?
Does the OT call for a literal physical millennium? Does Jesus refute this teaching a spiritual kingdom only? Are you aware of this? If so, the OT becomes symbolic instead of literal in these matters. Do you know the historic Presbyterian position on this?

Upvote 0

Ohj1n37

May 13, 2018
North Carolina
✟25,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Does the OT call for a literal physical millennium?

You still haven't sited a specific scripture.

If so, the OT becomes symbolic instead of literal in these matters.

And I am not sure what exactly you are referring to. The Bible explains many things symbolically and taking everything literal is not good, I was taught this at a very young age. If you do so you will soon go off the deep end.

Do you know the historic Presbyterian position on this?

No, I don't. And I am not bound to what my denomination thinks. I agree with what I have been taught at my church and I go there because my family has roots there for at least over a century. With all due respect I find that question inflammatory.

But anyhow I am not sure exactly what you were looking for by starting this thread, but it appears I am unable to provide you any assistance. You haven't offered any scripture as relating to your point of view.

All I know to tell you is that if you are searching for answers in understanding God you need to pray, talk to God, and read his word. He will give you understanding if you are sincere, the Bible says so. That's what I did and I have peace in my understanding of God, my life, and his will. I still face trails and hardship, but I have the foundational peace in knowing God is with me and that he loves me.

Alright have a good one.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You still haven't sited a specific scripture.

And I am not sure what exactly you are referring to. The Bible explains many things symbolically and taking everything literal is not good, I was taught this at a very young age. If you do so you will soon go off the deep end.

No, I don't. And I am not bound to what my denomination thinks. I agree with what I have been taught at my church and I go there because my family has roots there for at least over a century. With all due respect I find that question inflammatory.

But anyhow I am not sure exactly what you were looking for by starting this thread, but it appears I am unable to provide you any assistance. You haven't offered any scripture as relating to your point of view.

All I know to tell you is that if you are searching for answers in understanding God you need to pray, talk to God, and read his word. He will give you understanding if you are sincere, the Bible says so. That's what I did and I have peace in my understanding of God, my life, and his will. I still face trails and hardship, but I have the foundational peace in knowing God is with me and that he loves me.

Alright have a good one.
I normally don't get tied up with more than one question at a time. So for #1, Jesus teaches a spiritual kingdom only.

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He have free will. Everybody have free will, there is none without.
I think you conflate free agency with free will. The will of a person is in bondage either to sin or God thus that individual's will isn't truly free. There is no middle ground to claim.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is omniscient. He never learned anything and never changed his will having willed all. We see his will unfolding but it is rooted in eternity and unchangeable.

Right!! God's will is being done ON EARTH as it HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE IN HEAVEN.

• Agree
Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He wouldn't do that. Whomsoever believes hath eternal life.

You're adding to that verse to make it say what you want it to say so it supports your doctrinal position.

What the verse says is this: Whosoever does A (Believes) will have B (Eternal life). That verse says absolutely nothing about who will ever believe.

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does God have a free will? Does he will his attributes? Or do his attributes determine his will?

I believe God does not have a free will. Because He is love. And He is perfect. And any change in his will determined by love and righteousness would be to imperfection.

We first need to define what we mean by “free will.” For the purpose of this post, we will define free will as “the capacity of a conscious mind to make decisions and choices without any external constraints or coercion.” God has a mind and is conscious; He has the capacity to make decisions and choose (He has volition); He does not answer to any authority, is not limited by any external constraints, and cannot be coerced. Therefore, based on this definition, we can say, yes, God certainly possesses free will.

God created us with a limited (Free) will; it’s part of what distinguishes us from rocks and animals. But the volition we possess is of a lesser sort than God’s. Free will with no external constraints is impossible for human beings to have since we always have limitations of some kind. There are always things that we cannot choose to do, such as flap our arms and fly to the moon. At best, the above definition suggests that human beings only have mostly limited (free) will—there do exist external constraints on our choices—and not completely free will. We surmise that God has completely free will in the sense that, in His omnipotence, He is not limited by anything apart from Himself. According to Job 36:23, no one tells God what to do: “Who has appointed Him His way, And who has said, ‘You have done wrong’?” (NASB).

Another way to look at free will in human beings is that we have a certain aspect of our decision-making process that is unconstrained by natural laws. Many events are determined by natural laws: a pen falls when someone drops it (the law of gravity), and robins build nests every spring (animal instinct). But no such natural laws govern one’s choice to put on tennis shoes instead of dress shoes, for example, or to order bacon for breakfast instead of sausage. Mankind operates in a realm subsidiary to the natural world, yet he maintains a limited autonomy within that world.

God, on the other hand, has free will in every aspect. The natural world operates subsidiarily to His realm. God is unconstrained by all natural laws; He in fact established those laws and is sovereign over them. God could have created the universe in any of a number of ways, and the way it exists is due to His choice. God was not required to create at all: in Revelation 4:11 we read, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” The point is that even the act of creation itself was the result of God’s free will: His choice to create was not influenced by any necessity or obligation. God’s volition is absolute; His actions are neither deterministically constrained nor controlled by someone else.

There are certain things that God is incapable of doing because His perfect and holy nature disallows it. Titus 1:2 says that God “cannot lie” (NASB). This doesn’t suggest any kind of external control, however; the fact that God’s perfection prevents Him from lying identifies an intrinsic property of God’s own character. God cannot be unfaithful to Himself; He cannot break His Word; He cannot be less than perfect. A lesser being can choose to sin, but God cannot—or He would not be God.

Also, there are certain things that God is incapable of doing because of the very nature of reality. Can God make a triangular square? No, not if the words triangular and square have any real meaning. God does not deal in absurdities, fallacies, or farces. He deals in reality; in fact, God is the source of reality. He is the I AM WHO I AM (Exodus 3:14). As the Creator and Sustainer of all that is, God has defined what we call reality. The way things are is the way He chose things to be.

Human beings have some measure of limited (free) will. But God’s volition is truly free—it is maximal in both quantity and quality. God’s inability to lie or sin or be illogical does not diminish His freedom in any way, since it is the result of His own intrinsic nature; external influences have no hold on Him.

Does God have free will? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We first need to define what we mean by “free will.” For the purpose of this post, we will define free will as “the capacity of a conscious mind to make decisions and choices without any external constraints or coercion.” God has a mind and is conscious; He has the capacity to make decisions and choose (He has volition); He does not answer to any authority, is not limited by any external constraints, and cannot be coerced. Therefore, based on this definition, we can say, yes, God certainly possesses free will.

God created us with a limited (Free) will; it’s part of what distinguishes us from rocks and animals. But the volition we possess is of a lesser sort than God’s. Free will with no external constraints is impossible for human beings to have since we always have limitations of some kind. There are always things that we cannot choose to do, such as flap our arms and fly to the moon. At best, the above definition suggests that human beings only have mostly limited (free) will—there do exist external constraints on our choices—and not completely free will. We surmise that God has completely free will in the sense that, in His omnipotence, He is not limited by anything apart from Himself. According to Job 36:23, no one tells God what to do: “Who has appointed Him His way, And who has said, ‘You have done wrong’?” (NASB).

Another way to look at free will in human beings is that we have a certain aspect of our decision-making process that is unconstrained by natural laws. Many events are determined by natural laws: a pen falls when someone drops it (the law of gravity), and robins build nests every spring (animal instinct). But no such natural laws govern one’s choice to put on tennis shoes instead of dress shoes, for example, or to order bacon for breakfast instead of sausage. Mankind operates in a realm subsidiary to the natural world, yet he maintains a limited autonomy within that world.

God, on the other hand, has free will in every aspect. The natural world operates subsidiarily to His realm. God is unconstrained by all natural laws; He in fact established those laws and is sovereign over them. God could have created the universe in any of a number of ways, and the way it exists is due to His choice. God was not required to create at all: in Revelation 4:11 we read, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” The point is that even the act of creation itself was the result of God’s free will: His choice to create was not influenced by any necessity or obligation. God’s volition is absolute; His actions are neither deterministically constrained nor controlled by someone else.

There are certain things that God is incapable of doing because His perfect and holy nature disallows it. Titus 1:2 says that God “cannot lie” (NASB). This doesn’t suggest any kind of external control, however; the fact that God’s perfection prevents Him from lying identifies an intrinsic property of God’s own character. God cannot be unfaithful to Himself; He cannot break His Word; He cannot be less than perfect. A lesser being can choose to sin, but God cannot—or He would not be God.

Also, there are certain things that God is incapable of doing because of the very nature of reality. Can God make a triangular square? No, not if the words triangular and square have any real meaning. God does not deal in absurdities, fallacies, or farces. He deals in reality; in fact, God is the source of reality. He is the I AM WHO I AM (Exodus 3:14). As the Creator and Sustainer of all that is, God has defined what we call reality. The way things are is the way He chose things to be.

Human beings have some measure of limited (free) will. But God’s volition is truly free—it is maximal in both quantity and quality. God’s inability to lie or sin or be illogical does not diminish His freedom in any way, since it is the result of His own intrinsic nature; external influences have no hold on Him.

Does God have free will? | GotQuestions.org
Omniscience alone says God cannot change his mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are implying God's omniscience is imperfect if he learns something he didn't know.
NO but if God chose who would be saved before the foundation of the world began and in doing so he also he passed some thereby leaving them bound in their sin, thus causing them to become the vessels of his wrath, then God most definitely has free will. Omnipotence is just a part of who God is. Omnipotence is not the controlling factor in who God is.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NO but if God chose who would be saved before the foundation of the world began and in doing so he also he passed some by leaving them bound in their sin, thus causing them to become the vessels of his wrath then God most definitely has free will.
Not in the least. God's nature determines his will. You cannot trust him otherwise.

Upvote 0

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not in the least. God's nature determines his will. You cannot trust him otherwise.
Perhaps YOU cant trust him otherwise. The bible says trust comes from being born again. Believe= means adhere to, trust in and rely upon. I think you are overthinking this a bit. God's nature is not summed up in just his omnipotence. Being all-powerful is just a part of Who God is. Its a part of his nature. Perhaps you should focus on his being absolutely sovereign instead.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps YOU cant trust him otherwise. The bible says trust comes from being born again. Believe= means adhere to, trust in and rely upon. I think you are overthinking this a bit. God's nature is not summed up in just his omnipotence. Being all-powerful is just a part of Who God is. Its a part of his nature. Perhaps you should focus on his being absolutely sovereign instead.
If God wills his nature, he needs a brain first. So his nature gives him all the brain he ever needed to make a perfect plan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1Reformedman

Dec 11, 2019
St. Louis
✟4,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's your favorite Theology book? Chances are I have it and will look it up for you.
I dont have a favorite. It is a personal choice if you follow what other men say as if what they say is absolutely correct. There are some things Calvin said I disagree with. I know they are just as fallible as me. You see, I dont like to appeal to authority as its a logical fallacy. I appeal to God, not man. Now in support of my theological views I will quote others who agree but that does not mean that we are 100% correct either. Our minds are just far too finite to think as highly (holiness) as God does.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0