New york
✟15,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How can we know if our sins are forgiven?
If God forgives our sins every time we ask for forgiveness then can we just keep committing sins and ask for forgiveness cant we?
that's not very moral. how does this even work?
Would God really forgive the most horrible sins committed by humans in the history of mankind? It disturbs me to think someone like Hitler would be forgiven..
Also this has been bothering me a lot. Even if you are not a sinner yourself..Would you still be punished because your ancestor committed a sin? would God punish people just because their blood is impure?

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We can know our sins are forgiven because God said if we believe Jesus and trust in the atonement He secured for our forgiveness then we shall be forgiven... Our assurance comes because we trust God is telling us the truth and that God is not a Liar...

Jesus said that only one sin will never have forgiveness and that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.. So all other sins can and will be covered by the Atoning blood of the LORD Jesus Christ for those who believe..

Yes God can and has forgiven the most horrible sins committed by humans in history when they have acknowledged their sins as such and believed in the Way God has made for them to be saved..

• Agree
Reactions: Theadorus
Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We cannot know. We can only pray and hope.
If God forgives our sins every time we ask for forgiveness then can we just keep committing sins and ask for forgiveness cant we?
We should not voluntarily sin. We can stumble and sin sometimes because temptation overwhelms us, but if we continuously keep sinning voluntarily then we cannot hold high hopes that our sins will be forgiven.
Would God really forgive the most horrible sins committed by humans in the history of mankind? It disturbs me to think someone like Hitler would be forgiven..
Hitler did not repent, but yes, God is known for forgiving even horrible sins if the person repents.
Also this has been bothering me a lot. Even if you are not a sinner yourself..Would you still be punished because your ancestor committed a sin? would God punish people just because their blood is impure?
The Bible is not clear on the topic. Some verses say yes, while others say no.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Okay ... very quickly, as I only have a little time ...

Jesus said that God will forgive every sin ... except, essentially, the sin of unrepentence.

Note that coming to God in repentence requires that you recognize your wrongdoing, commit to leaving it, ... and being/becoming a member of God's family.

Just think what an achievement it would be for God to convert a Hitler to see the evils of his past/present ... and come to God in humble repentance.

So, yes, ... God would forgive Hitler if he came to to Him in reprentance.

As for us being cursed or held responsible for the sins of our fathers, ... in Ezekiel, God said that He would NOT hold the children responsible for the sins of their fathers ...

God bless you ...

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even if you are not a sinner yourself..
Let me illusitrat sin for you.
If you drive a car there are only two states regarding the speed limit. You are obeying the speed limit or you are breaking it.
We, all of us eith obey All of Gods Law or we are breaking All of Gods Law.

Can you remember when you last Loved the Lord your God with All your mind, body and soul?
If you are not always doing this you are a 'sinner'.

The bible says that , All, that is everybody, has broken Gods law and deserves only condemnation.

Questions about how and why God forgives are only relevent if you have asked God for forgivenes.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Question: "Will God continue to forgive you if you commit the same sin over and over again?"

Answer:
To best answer this question, we’re going to look at two powerful passages of Scripture. The first is found in the book of Psalms: “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us” (Psalm 103:12). One of the most effective tricks Satan plays on Christians is to convince us that our sins aren't really forgiven, despite the promise of God's Word. If we've truly received Jesus as Savior by faith, and still have that uneasy feeling wondering whether or not there is true forgiveness, that may be coming from demonic influences. Demons hate it when people are delivered from their grasp, and they try to plant seeds of doubt in our minds about the reality of our salvation. In his vast arsenal of tricks, one of Satan’s biggest tools is to constantly remind us of our past transgressions, and he uses those to prove that God couldn't possibly forgive or restore us. The devil's attacks make it a real challenge for us to simply rest in the promises of God and trust His love.

But this psalm also tells us that God not only forgives our sins, but removes them completely from His presence. This is a profound thing! Without question, this is a difficult concept for humans to grasp, which is why it's so easy for us to worry and wonder about forgiveness instead of just accepting it. The key lies in simply giving up our doubts and our feelings of guilt and resting in His promises of forgiveness.

Another passage is 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” What an incredible promise! God forgives His children when they sin if only they come to Him and in an attitude of repentance and ask to be forgiven. God’s grace is so great that it can cleanse the sinner from his sin so that he becomes a child of God. Even when we stumble, we can be forgiven still.

In Matthew 18:21-22, we read, "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, ‘Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.’” Peter was probably thinking that he was being generous. Rather than repay a person who had committed a sin against him with equal retribution, Peter suggested giving the brother some leeway, say, up to seven times. But the eighth time, forgiveness and grace would run out. But Christ challenged the rules of Peter’s suggested economy of grace by saying that forgiveness is infinite for those who are truly seeking it. This is only possible because of the infinite grace of God which is made possible through the shed blood of Christ on the cross. Because of Christ’s forgiving power, we can always be made clean after we sin if we humbly seek it.

At the same time, it must be noted that it is not biblical for a person to sin habitually and continually as a lifestyle and still be a believer (1 John 3:8-9). This is why Paul admonishes us to “examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?” (2 Corinthians 13:5). As Christians, we do stumble, but we do not live a lifestyle of continual, unrepentant sin. All of us have weaknesses and can fall into sin, even if we don’t want to. Even the apostle Paul did what he didn’t want to do because of the sin at work in his body (Romans 7:15). Like Paul, the response of the believer is to hate the sin, repent of it and ask for divine grace to overcome it (Romans 7:24-25). Although we need not fall because of God’s sufficient grace, sometimes we do because we rely upon our insufficient strength. When our faith grows weak and, like Peter, we deny our Lord in word or in life, even then there is still a chance to repent and be forgiven of our sin.

Another one of Satan’s tricks is to get us to think that there is no hope, that there is no possibility that we can be forgiven, healed, and restored. He will try to get us to feel consumed and trapped by guilt so that we do not feel worthy of God’s forgiveness any longer. But since when were we ever worthy of God’s grace? God loved us, forgave us and chose us to be in Christ before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4-6), not because of anything we did, but “in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:12). We must always keep in mind that there is no place we can go that God’s grace cannot reach, and there is no depth to which we can sink that God is no longer able to pull us out. His grace is greater than all of our sin. Whether we are just starting to wander off course or we are already sinking and drowning in our sin, grace can be received.

Grace is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8). When we sin, the Spirit will convict us of sin such that a godly sorrow will result (2 Corinthians 7:10-11). He will not condemn our souls as if there is no hope, for there is no longer any condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). The Spirit’s conviction within us is a movement of love and grace. Grace is not an excuse to sin (Romans 6:1-2), and it dare not be abused, meaning that sin must be called “sin,” and it cannot be treated as if it is harmless or inoffensive. Unrepentant believers need to be lovingly confronted and guided to freedom, and unbelievers need to be told that they need to repent. Yet let us also emphasize the remedy, for we have been given grace upon grace (John 1:16). Grace is how we live, how we are saved, how we are sanctified, and how we will be kept and glorified. Let us receive grace when we sin by repenting and confessing our sin to God. Why live a sinful life when Christ offers to make us whole and right in the eyes of God?

www.gotquestions.org/forgive-same-sin.html

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

"But God demonstrates his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8

"The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--and I am the chief of sinners" - 1 Timothy 1:15

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9

"Then Peter came and said to him, 'Lord, if another member of the church sins against me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times.'" - Matthew 18:21-22

We are instructed to have no limit in forgiveness, when Jesus says "seventy-seven times" (alternate readings say "seventy times seven times") He is not giving an upper limit to forgiveness, He is instead saying there is no upper limit, always forgive. And this is a true reflection of God, who is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, there is no limit to God's forgiveness, His forgiveness is infinite, limitless. We can always trust that God forgives us.

"But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." - Luke 6:36-37

God is kind even to the ungrateful and the wicked, His mercy is infinite and everlasting; having shown kindness to us even while we were sinners and enemies of God:

"For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life." - Romans 5:10

"God is love" - 1 John 4:8b

Yes, because that's who God is. God is the God who throws Himself away in love for others, even for His enemies.

"Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death--even death on a cross." - Philippians 2:5-8

Everyone is a sinner. Everyone has sinned, everyone has fallen short (Romans 3:23), everyone has failed to be just toward their neighbor in love. You aren't held accountable for what your ancestors did; we are held accountable to our own sins.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Targaryen
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are forgiven according to the very same standards you forgive and judge by.

This means very judgmental and narrow minded folks will be well acquainted with the fire of Hell...

Otherwise, obviously, it is a matter for your own self to decide. Which, as you have a functioning mind and heart, will be immediate.

Plagued with constant doubts because your standard you are using is broken?

The doubts are removed when your standard is no longer broken.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I have some questions of for you, and some comments as well.

1.) Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins? And do you believe in His bodily resurrection?

2.) When you ask about "just keep committing sins and asking for forgiveness," are you talking about knowingly continually sinning? Like, you know that something you are doing is sinful, but because you believe in the concept of forgiveness, you keep on doing it? Or are you talking about just living life, and sinning sometimes, and then repenting of it once you realize that what you've done was sinful?

3.) Yes, God would forgive the most horrible sins committed by humans --- if they truly repented. All sin is the same to God...there are no levels of sin. There being levels of sin is a human concept.

4.) Hitler would only be forgiven if he repented, and if he came to Christ. By his actions, he showed that he was not a believer in Christ, no matter whether or not he claimed to be Christian. He had some weird theology that he tried to promote -- he called it something like Positive Christianity, which eliminated anything negative (such as sin and salvation).

5.) There is only one person who has ever lived who committed no sin, and that was Jesus. Everyone else, including you and me, has sinned at least once at some point in our lives. All of us need forgiveness from God.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God has no need for forgiveness, in his eyes, you are already forgiven. There is nothing to be forgiven because he did not create anything negative, therefore, nothing negative exists. Forgiveness is a tool for us to use to get closer to him. Which is the true meaning of repentance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Of course, God forgives all sins. When we sin against God we confess our sins and we are cleansed from all unrighteousness. We can know our sins are forgiven because God said that they are forgiven and God cannot lie.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
God has no need for forgiveness, in his eyes, you are already forgiven. There is nothing to be forgiven because he did not create anything negative, therefore, nothing negative exists. Forgiveness is a tool for us to use to get closer to him. Which is the true meaning of repentance.
That's an interesting viewpoint, but I don't see that as biblical.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You need to read and really study Matt. 18: 21-35.
God is doing His part perfectly in forgiving everyone, but forgiveness is a transaction requiring the forgiver to play a part (humbly accepting the forgiveness as pure charity 9as it is given). Like the unmerciful servant in the parable found in Matt. 18 :21-35, you cannot just "ask" for more time, or believe it will not happen out of a lack of trust (faith) in God/Christ.
If you are truly forgiven you will automatically receive an unbelievable huge Love (Godly type Love) which is unselfish and unconditional, so does that describe the Love you have?

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That's an interesting viewpoint, but I don't see that as biblical.
It is, the interpretation you were taught may be off. It doesn't really matter what is biblical if it has been misinterpreted. God is real and does not exist in the realm of misinterpretations. If anyone has an opinion about God if it is not right then you don't know anything, if it is right then you must know it is undoubtedly, knowledge of God cannot be an opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

We know our sins are forgiven because that is what the Bible says happens when we confess our sins to God. (1 John 1:9) You'll notice the verse doesn't say we should ask God to forgive us, only that we should confess our sin to Him. Forgiveness is applied upon confession, not by our pleading with God to forgive us. The born-again disciple of Christ already has forgiveness through faith in the atoning work of Christ for them on the cross.

Can you just keep on sinning and being forgiven if you're a genuine child of God? I think not. One in whom the Holy Spirit dwells does not live this way. One who loves God will not abuse His forgiveness. So it is that the apostle Paul wrote:

Romans 6:1-2
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

Romans 5:20-21
20 ...But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more,
21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

As far as God is concerned, Mother Theresa is just as worthy of Hell as Hitler. Compared to God, we are all of us utterly unworthy of His forgiveness, grace and love; we are all of us wicked sinners in desperate need of a Saviour. So we should be very careful about looking over at the next person and thinking, "I'm not nearly so bad as that fellow! Why, I quite shine next to him!"

Romans 3:23)
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Even if you are not a sinner yourself..Would you still be punished because your ancestor committed a sin? would God punish people just because their blood is impure?

We are not punished for another's sin. God is not unjust. We have quite enough sin of our own for which we must give account.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
By making a good confession to and receiving absolution from an ordained Priest.

You mean, willingly sin because we figure we can just ask for forgiveness later? No - that's the sin of Presumption, which is a very serious sin.

Even Hitler could have been forgiven, if he had wished to be. It doesn't seem likely that he did.

Also this has been bothering me a lot. Even if you are not a sinner yourself..Would you still be punished because your ancestor committed a sin?
No. A baby cannot sin, nor can those with certain serious mental infirmities. We are not responsible for the sins of our ancestors. However, their sinful acts can certainly have affected the situation in which we finding ourselves.

... would God punish people just because their blood is impure?
"Impure blood" is a concept that is foreign to legitimate Christian thought.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would God really forgive the most horrible sins committed by humans in the history of mankind? It disturbs me to think someone like Hitler would be forgiven.

You have asked some very deep questions. Thank you for starting this excellent discussion. I just wanted to address the above statement because it's one with which many people struggle, including myself occasionally.

Apparently Jeffrey Dahmer found Jesus in prison and became a Christian. Dahmer was one of the most heinous serial killers this generation has ever seen, and if his conversion was true, he has received eternal salvation. While scriptural, this does tend to wear against our human sense of justice. But let’s consider for a moment that this is actually good news, not a miscarriage of justice. If someone like Dahmer could be forgiven and accepted as a child of God, all the more we should rejoice that we too are forgiven in the eyes of our Lord.

Remember, who was the first person to cash in on the promise of eternal salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ? Not a righteous, holy man. Not an all-around good guy with a few minor sins. But a man rightly executed for his crimes (Luke 23:39-43).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1.6-9:

""If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Upvote 0