Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
God is bigger than the changes that take place. It's not a question of whether He reproduces or not: He doesn't need to evolve. Selection pressures don't exist for God because He cannot die. Moreover, if God had children they would inherit this fact.

That our eternal destiny does not change is just the tip of the iceberg. All sorts of questions come up if you start saying that we evolve all the time. Like who did Jesus die for if He could not predict what evolution would be next?

I presume that since you use a capitalization of the pronoun that you believe that Jesus is God, correct?

Are you saying that God cannot die but that he did?:scratch:

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am once again shocked and dismayed at how people who have no idea at all about what evolution is insist on applying it in nonsensical ways.
Is that me you mean? I know evolution refers to genetic change in succesive generations but I'm using it as change over time in a specific individual. I guess that's better called growth or development or whatever. But in reference to God, an omnipotent being, couldn't it also be possible that God could change His/Her own makeup? Recreate itself? In essence evolving without a new generation?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Sentient beings don't evolve. Humans don't evolve. Evolution is an uncontrolled process.

Then please tell us which mutations your parents chose to give you. Every human has between 125 and 175 point mutations not found in either parent. If humans are in control of their heredity then your parents or someone must have chosen which mutations you received.

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is that me you mean? I know evolution refers to genetic change in succesive generations but I'm using it as change over time in a specific individual. I guess that's better called growth or development or whatever. But in reference to God, an omnipotent being, couldn't it also be possible that God could change His/Her own makeup? Recreate itself? In essence evolving without a new generation?

I meant the OP.

But I don't see how biological evolution could apply to God.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The fact that we can inherit eternal life from God is what makes it great to be a Christian. Having eternal life is also why Christians so easily see that evolution does not make sense, from an eternal perspective. If life were evolving all the time, our eternal destiny would be changing all the time. Our eternal destiny stays the same until we change something, for or against God.
So basically, you are saying that the conditions of one's soul is somehow based on the genes one carries? Because if one's eternal destiny is based on, as many Christians have told me, the condition of the soul (that is, the sins one has been forgiven by God/Jesus for versus the sins one has not been forgiven for - also effected by having accepted Jesus as one's personal savior and whatnot) then why should the contents of one's genetic code matter?
The questions above are all red-herrings; you should be able to tell that the above questions are red-herrings from reading them. Its the deeper questions that really hurt when it comes to evolution.
The deeper questions? I'll answer them individually.
Like how do you tell your kids that you care if you believe evolution makes them significantly less like you than they could be?
What?
Evolution is the theory that the genetic composition of a populations changes from generation to generation (due to natural selection).

This does not mean that one's offspring will not carry one's genetic material. In fact, this Scientific Theory shows how one's offspring carry one's genetic traits.
Or how do you ask your parents for advice if they don't know what it's like to be your particular evolution?
Evolution happens very, very slowly. Over the course of millions of years, one species might develop into multiple.

Over the course of a generation, there are very few mutations. One's offspring is of the exact same species that one is.
Even how do you reconcile your morality with the fact that at some point you believe your ancestor was lower than you are?
"Lower"? Just because one species evolved into another doesn't make the latter one any better than the former. It just means that some beneficial trait or combination of traits was passed on the entire population over a long period of time, thus creating a new species that is genetically dissimilar from the original.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dawiyd

Veteran
Apr 2, 2006
✟2,566.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No.

Malachi 3

ו
כִּי אֲנִי יְהוָה, לֹא שָׁנִיתִי; וְאַתֶּם בְּנֵי-יַעֲקֹב, לֹא כְלִיתֶם.

For I the LORD change not; and ye, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No.

Malachi 3

ו
כִּי אֲנִי יְהוָה, לֹא שָׁנִיתִי; וְאַתֶּם בְּנֵי-יַעֲקֹב, לֹא כְלִיתֶם.

For I the LORD change not; and ye, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

God is not static, therefore He changes.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
I think that Gottservant is confusing biological evolution with how the term evolution is used in popular culture. I also think that I deserve a Captain Obvious picture for pointing this out.
captainobvious.jpg

There ya go

Upvote 0