✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

Recently as I've learned more theological concepts and ways of thought, I've come to the realization that my church embraces a biblical theology that prioritizes the gospel above all else. Now that's obviously not a bad thing, but what I mean is that everything stems around Jesus saying after his resurrection that everything in the old testament was talking about Him. This results in every single sermon, and every single sermon series having the main point being making a Christ connection. The preacher will spend 40 minutes explaining how any given passage points to Christ. Nothing else will be gleaned from said passage. So take the fall in the garden for instance. Instead of touching on temptation and how to deal with it, or how a marriage structure aught to work, you're only going to see how this passage calls for Christ, and points forward to Him. In fact people in the church tend to dislike pastors or be wary of preaching that isn't like this.

I'm curious what people's reactions are to this. Do you think this is a good thing? Is this healthy?

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello all,

Recently as I've learned more theological concepts and ways of thought, I've come to the realization that my church embraces a biblical theology that prioritizes the gospel above all else. Now that's obviously not a bad thing, but what I mean is that everything stems around Jesus saying after his resurrection that everything in the old testament was talking about Him. This results in every single sermon, and every single sermon series having the main point being making a Christ connection. The preacher will spend 40 minutes explaining how any given passage points to Christ. Nothing else will be gleaned from said passage. So take the fall in the garden for instance. Instead of touching on temptation and how to deal with it, or how a marriage structure aught to work, you're only going to see how this passage calls for Christ, and points forward to Him. In fact people in the church tend to dislike pastors or be wary of preaching that isn't like this.

I'm curious what people's reactions are to this. Do you think this is a good thing? Is this healthy?
"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen". Romans 11:36 The gospel deals with all fact, and God's reason for creating.

But yes, there is a habit of missing the point, or at least, important points, of a passage, just in the study of ways the passage points at Christ.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello all,

The 4 gospels are great and necessary to learn of the birth, ministry, crucifixion, resurrection, and Him (Jesus) being taken up...

However ….despite the page that says New Testament in the Bible (added by man) the gospels are old Testament ….We don’t live under the law, we live under grace. And you cannot get to grace through the 4 gospels. The New Testament (or New Covenant) begins at Pentecost (Act 2:4) with the incorporation of gentiles into the one body which took place in Act 10:44&45.

Seeing as God made Jesus head of all things to the Church … the Words that Paul wrote (the church epistles Romans – Thessalonians) were written by revelation of/from Jesus Christ as Paul makes clear in Galatians and other places.

Gal 1:11&12 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

The words in the Epistles are Just as much Jesus’s words…. Just as the words that He gave to Mat, Mark, Luke & J-man, via revelation. No one wrote these things on their own accord… 2Pe 1:20&21.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

EnriqueNye

Sep 11, 2019
East Coast
✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The 4 gospels are great and necessary to learn of the birth, ministry, crucifixion, resurrection, and Him (Jesus) being taken up...

However ….despite the page that says New Testament in the Bible (added by man) the gospels are old Testament ….We don’t live under the law, we live under grace. And you cannot get to grace through the 4 gospels. The New Testament (or New Covenant) begins at Pentecost (Act 2:4) with the incorporation of gentiles into the one body which took place in Act 10:44&45.

Seeing as God made Jesus head of all things to the Church … the Words that Paul wrote (the church epistles Romans – Thessalonians) were written by revelation of/from Jesus Christ as Paul makes clear in Galatians and other places.

Gal 1:11&12 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

The words in the Epistles are Just as much Jesus’s words…. Just as the words that He gave to Mat, Mark, Luke & J-man, via revelation. No one wrote these things on their own accord… 2Pe 1:20&21.
Very true, but I think what people at my church is saying is that the only things that are worth emphasizing above all else at any given time that Jesus said are things pertaining to his death burial and resurrection.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

I've been part of a congregation that spent a couple years going through a sermon series about finding Christ in the Books of Moses, so while I think that there is certainly room for that sort of series, I agree that it is also good to study the plain meaning on the text.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The preacher will spend 40 minutes explaining how any given passage points to Christ.
Yet Jesus spent all His time teaching HIS Gospel of the Kingdom for which he said he was sent to tell and bring about. His Gospel which said God was coming back to live among man and take control away from man over each other. Most churches don't want to teach that.. even if it is in the Lord's Prayer. He was all about the Kingdom, not Himself. That should be the focus of Christianity simply because He said so.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Law of God was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message, which is the Gospel of Grace. In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of setting it before him, so that is what it means to be under grace, and that has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in John 17:3, knowing God and Jesus is eternal life, which again is salvation by grace through faith. In Genesis 6:8-9, Noah found grace in the eyes of God, he was a righteous man, and he walked with God, so God was gracious to him by teaching him how to walk in His way in obedience to His law and he was righteous because he obeyed through faith. In Romans 1:5, we have received grace in order to bring about the obedience of faith. In Titus 2:11-13, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God graciously teaching us to do those works in obedience to His law is part of the content of His gift of salvation.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

Yes, Jesus did say the scriptures "are they which testify of Me", in John 5:39.

Also, see Luke 24:27 where Jesus shows the two guys things the earlier scriptures said about Him.

So, Jesus would use the writings of Moses and the Prophets to help people see that they are intended to bring people and their attention to Jesus.

And we see how the Law of Moses "was our tutor to bring us to Christ", we have in Galatians 3:24.

For reaching to Jewish unbelievers it can be very helpful to know how their scriptures do point to Jesus and His death, burial and resurrection.And so, ones would encourage us to know how the earlier scriptures are pointing to and prophesying the coming of Jesus and His death and burial and resurrection.

But such knowledge is indeed not a stopping place. A person needs to trust in Christ for salvation, then walk and grow in Jesus while ministering salvation to others and mutually ministering for one another to grow in Jesus, so that we may "become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (in Romans 8:29)

So, I think you have an excellent point about how the report of Adam and Eve should be used to help us to overcome temptation. You can understand this, even though it seems ones in your church are stuck on the foretelling of Jesus part.

I would say pray about where you belong. And while you are there you can find people you can help to grow in Jesus and how He has us relating as His family and ministering to others.

You might discover ones who agree with you, and you can minister in home group and during sharing after services, if God keeps you there. And maybe stay clear of potentially endless disputing with any hardcore people who only want that knowledge thing about the early Bible pointing to Christ.

God's word does give us that, but also other doctrinal matters, plus God's word can be good >

"for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (in 2 Timothy 3:16).

About correction, I offer Hebrews 12:4-14 about how God's correction changes our character into His holiness and His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness", so we are maturing in how Jesus is and loves. And this is a major meaning of all the scriptures. I offer that you can use any scripture to help us find out how to be and love like Jesus. God can use any scripture with this love meaning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Very true, but I think what people at my church is saying is that the only things that are worth emphasizing above all else at any given time that Jesus said are things pertaining to his death burial and resurrection.
All those things are critical but they’re not going to get you there.

If you were taking a bus to Disney World…. and started heading south on 95 … from 95, the driver jumps on I-4 …but as he going down I-4 there is a sign, DeLand 7 miles …. ALRIGHT! Everyone! ….we are going to see Micky!!! But …No ☹…. sadly De Land does not have Micky ….and stopping at De Land is like stopping at the resurrection… it’s a stop along the way. It has some interesting things, but it is not your destination. Another 60 miles to Disney World…. another 28 chapters through Acts to Romans and you can start getting on the rides for free... and claiming the benefits and blessing that God has laid out for you…… Although you might want to drive yourself, because this bus driver is not good at navigation.

Reactions: EnriqueNye
Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

Some pastors will do this and justify it by using Jesus' statements like Luke 24:44 (Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”) as justification. Personally, I believe some of the information is given just to give us historical reference points and events, broader theological truths such as the evolution of dietary laws, or, as it says in 1 Cor 10:6, as examples to us for things to avoid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

Obviously, everyone with even half a brain realizes there's more to life than just the Bible. But, a lot of pastors likely realize too that they only get about 30 minutes or so of any one person's attention per week, whereas the world takes the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

Wow sounds like a great church! How rare ! What denomination?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I think I understand your concern. To say that Christ is the answer is one thing. But to explain how that should work out in our lives, how He expects us to live or model Him is another.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello all,

I think that the gospel is far more than theology. "Save" means "deliver" as well as escape the penalty of sin. Luke 4:18 is the gospel. Being Christ centred is essential, but so is the outworking of faith. For example, Paul wrote to the Ephesians emphasising the blessings of our salvation in the first chapters. He then goes on to how this should work in real life.

There is a Singaporean pastor who focuses on grace. That's wonderful, but it is like a meal with just one vegetable - unbalanced. Others focus entirely on experiences. That's like trying to live on ice cream. We need the whole counsel of God. That's why Lord Jesus gave teachers and pastors, apostles, prophets and evangelists to the church. If the pastor does not know enough to preach more than his limited theology, he should invite others to step in and fill the gaps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
southern baptist in the north lol
Charles Stanley was Southern Baptist. He preached a lot more than showing that the early scriptures point to the coming and death and resurrection of Jesus. You can search for "In Touch Ministries" and view or listen to his sermons, I think. But I think you might get even more from the Bible and people you know personally who are mature and experienced in doing God's word.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

No it is not healthy, The main reason Jesus came was to tell the world to repent and to be ready for the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus explained how to get there and he also made certain we can have access as he payed the price for us, he gave his life so we can have access to the Kingdom.

Peace

Upvote 0

EnriqueNye

Sep 11, 2019
East Coast
✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think that the gospel is far more than theology. "Save" means "deliver" as well as escape the penalty of sin. Luke 4:18 is the gospel. Being Christ centred is essential, but so is the outworking of faith. For example, Paul wrote to the Ephesians emphasising the blessings of our salvation in the first chapters. He then goes on to how this should work in real life.

There is a Singaporean pastor who focuses on grace. That's wonderful, but it is like a meal with just one vegetable - unbalanced. Others focus entirely on experiences. That's like trying to live on ice cream. We need the whole counsel of God. That's why Lord Jesus gave teachers and pastors, apostles, prophets and evangelists to the church. If the pastor does not know enough to preach more than his limited theology, he should invite others to step in and fill the gaps.
Wow that's a really good take on it

Upvote 0

EnriqueNye

Sep 11, 2019
East Coast
✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
People often follow the messenger rather than the message
What's tricky is that Jesus does say to follow him, but following his message is following the messenger, but people think they're better off just following the messenger.

Upvote 0