Does dating/marrying a non-Christian disqualifying for serving on the music team?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's say someone is a Christian (or at least a professing Christian) and has been serving on the music team.

Does dating a non-Christian disqualify this person from serving on the music team?
Does marrying a non-Christian disqualify this person from serving on the music team?
What if twenty years later they go to a difference church and this person wants to serve on the music team again (assuming their now-spouse is still non-Christian)?

A more general question is: what counts as leadership-roles in the church (public-facing or private?) and what kinds of sins disqualify someone from serving on that role and if so, for how long?

Your church should have a code of conduct which spells out what is expected. (In my church, neither dating nor marrying a non-Christian would disqualify you from being a church musician).

"Leadership roles" is a bit of a fuzzy term, but it might not be a bad rule of thumb to look at it this way; if you need some form of formal authorisation for the role, or if you need a clearance (police check or the like) to take it up, it's probably some form of leadership role.

Upvote 0

Jane2468

Aug 3, 2022
Northern Ireland
✟33,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The pharisees criticized Jesus for associating with sinners and Jesus corrected them, each and everyone of us associates with non Christians everyday does that make us unworthy to server God? There are many cases where a believer marries a non believer and that non believer over time becomes a believer there are also cases where a husband or a wife becomes a believer after marriage should they not be allowed to serve God until their spouse also converts?[/QUThe problem is the saved person intentionally marrying a non-believer. We are told in the bible not to be unequally yoked. The non-believer in that marriage might never convert.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why would a Christian want to date/marry a non-Christian is the more important question though.

Because love. Love is a pretty strong motivator, leastwise in western culture.

So we've got priorities, communication, time, money, commitments, and children (posted earlier) as areas of different perspectives.

Here is an interesting observation from my experience as a practicing marriage and family therapist. I'd say 80% of the people I see have problems in one or more of those areas that tturt lists above. I've spent hours discussing those very things with couples. The one issue that has never come before me in couples counseling over the last 20 years is religious differences. Not once. Make of that what you will, but it's rather curious don't you think?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simple.

2 Corinthians 6:14 NAS20
“Do not be mismatched with unbelievers; for what do righteousness and lawlessness share together, or what does light have in common with darkness?”

Numbers 25 is quite strong on this subject too. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let's say someone is a Christian (or at least a professing Christian) and has been serving on the music team.

Does dating a non-Christian disqualify this person from serving on the music team?
Does marrying a non-Christian disqualify this person from serving on the music team?
What if twenty years later they go to a difference church and this person wants to serve on the music team again (assuming their now-spouse is still non-Christian)?

A more general question is: what counts as leadership-roles in the church (public-facing or private?) and what kinds of sins disqualify someone from serving on that role and if so, for how long?
I think every church might have their own rules... But I think it would not be a smart thing to do... If you marry someone with different values in life, expect a lot of problems in your life. It might be fun for the moment, but it would be like drinking salt water in the ocean... Better to stay thirsty!

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married

The scripture says the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through the believing wife. So, I wouldn’t say dating a non Christian disqualifies one for service to God. However, the Bible also says how can two walk together lest they agree. So, I believe after befriending someone and if the person eventually dates someone they will win them over to their point of view. Also, it says it’s better to marry than to burn. So, if you dating an unbeliever causes you to sin and you can not refrain yourself it’s better to marry the person.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I think the answer to your question lies in the distinctive between someone who is born again and someone who is not born again.

In John chapter 3 Jesus said that unless a person is born again they cannot see or enter the Kingdom of God. Jesus never talked about someone calling themselves a Christian. He talked about people being born again by the Spirit of God. This is such a fundamental change that is changes everything. We were dead in our trespasses and sins, now we have been made alive in Christ (Ephesians 2:1-3). It's not a moral improvement, it's a total transformation. We have been rescued from the realm of darkness and brought into the Kingdom of God's beloved son (Colossians 1:13). Redeemed at a price, the precious blood of Jesus (1 Peter 1:19). Citizens of heaven, strangers in the world. Apart from a very superficial level, in things the bible describes as garbage (Philippians 3:8), the born-again believer and the unbeliever have nothing in common. Life in this world and the next are on a different trajectory, no-one can travel in two directions at the same time or be tied to someone who is travelling down while you're going up. “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them” (John 3:36). The things that matter, the one true bond comes between those who are born again.

So if someone claims to be born again and is marrying someone who is not born again, that professing believer, far from service on the worship team needs very urgent counselling on the very basics of the faith. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I've seen it happen so many time when a Christian puts their emotional attachments to a non-christian ahead of their commitment to God and the next thing that happens they are no longer maintaining any association with the Church or the Christian they use to spend time with. I've lost count how many over the past 50+ years. For many who are in the church married to a non-christian there seems to be a part of them that is not present in fellowship because they have to maintain the relationship with their spouse. In some case there is a strained relationship... especially it one is 'trying to convert' the other. I knew one bloke who, after committing his life to the Lord, was met at the door of his house by his wife, with a knife, and she tried to kill him. That marriage did not survive... at all... and he never married again. 'Unequally yoked' relationships are definitely not a good idea.
There may be many Churches who will not care if a member becomes attached to a non-christian as long as they continue to support their church. It makes them look inclusive to the world in general and avoids any persecution. It is not the way to encourage spiritual growth within a Christian to have them occupied with a non-christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It can disqualification to serving God.
2 Corinthians 6:14 . Light and darkness can't share together. How can christ and Beliail, the devil, have concord? Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers.
The outsiders will interfere with your spiritual growth. Christian people are to study the bible and plant seeds for God.
Jesus won't use Christian who is biblically illiterate.
Jesus won't use Christian who is consorting with the heathen. Get the picture.
Mark chapter 9:43. What ever is causing you to sin, cut it off.
I strongly recommend you leave that church. Do you want God's blessing and protection.
Study sound doctrine. Repent sins to God. Stop consorting with the heathen.
Fresh water and polluted water will Contaminate. Get the picture.
Peace.

Upvote 0