• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does anyone on here suffer from Fibromyalgia?

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
sleep wacky lately
cold, humid weather tough on me so hopefully spring comes soon

is it any better living in Nevada?
keep thinking if lived out west would feel better

started D3 every other day but not noticed any change

D3 blood levels need to be monitored as you can get too much or not enough. I have to take 10,000 units daily, or I am too low. But I get no sun. If you get some sun, 5,000 daily would probably be enough, but blood levels needed to confirm.
Las Vegas weather is highly changeable. What is best for fibro is a steady barometric pressure. It is the quick changes that gets us. It has snowed in Vegas before, but this winter has seen more of it. We've been in drizzles and snow for about 2 weeks. So no--it's no better living here.

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'll just point out that although I was diagnosed with "text book fibro", IBS and mild arthritis (which someone said earlier arent related) I think all of these are actually a food intolerance to corn/sweetcorn/maize (all the same thing). It may be both or that the corn is a trigger for flare ups but my symptoms are common in the groups Im in for corn intolerance.

I would suggest people look into food intolerance as a possible cause of their symptoms and consider doing a food elimination diet to see if they feel better, but should probably do this under medical supervision.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'll just point out that although I was diagnosed with "text book fibro", IBS and mild arthritis (which someone said earlier arent related) I think all of these are actually a food intolerance to corn/sweetcorn/maize (all the same thing). It may be both or that the corn is a trigger for flare ups but my symptoms are common in the groups Im in for corn intolerance.

I would suggest people look into food intolerance as a possible cause of their symptoms and consider doing a food elimination diet to see if they feel better, but should probably do this under medical supervision.
Good point. Some folks have found that eliminating / greatly reducing refined sugars has helped a lot.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good point. Some folks have found that eliminating / greatly reducing refined sugars has helped a lot.
Sugar in processed food is usually corn derived.

I suspect a lot of fibro is actually a corn intolerance (and probably other foods) but the medical profession just dont understand it and it often comes back negative on allergy testing (as its an intolerance rather than true allergy) so they just slap the name fibromyalgia on it as they dont know what it really is and allows them to congratulate themselves on getting a diagnosis. Allergies and intolerance's can affect and and every part of the body. Every symptom of fibro and more are caused by food intolerances, hence why I think its worth investigating. It wont do any harm when done properly under medical supervision and can lead to massive improvements.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

I suspect a lot of fibro is actually a corn intolerance (and probably other foods) but the medical profession just dont understand it and it often comes back negative on allergy testing (as its an intolerance rather than true allergy) so they just slap the name fibromyalgia on it as they dont know what it really is and allows them to congratulate themselves on getting a diagnosis. Allergies and intolerance's can affect and and every part of the body. Every symptom of fibro and more are caused by food intolerances, hence why I think its worth investigating. It wont do any harm when done properly under medical supervision and can lead to massive improvements.

I do agree that we should try food elimination diets to check if that is the problem. Nothing worked for me. I had IBS for several years also. The only thing that helped me was muscle relaxants. After a few years it just disappeared. Don't know why. I eat lots of corn, and corn products--tortillas, corn chips, tortilla chips--love corn bread, though I stay away from corn syrup. I've tried eliminating all sorts of things--all for nothing. I gave up on all that elimination diet stuff. I stick to a few food supplements that help me, and stay away from alcohol--they all contain sulfites which I do react to, and many of us do. Alcohol can actually help at first, then it makes you worse. If it works for you---great.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do agree that we should try food elimination diets to check if that is the problem. Nothing worked for me. I had IBS for several years also. The only thing that helped me was muscle relaxants. After a few years it just disappeared. Don't know why. I eat lots of corn, and corn products--tortillas, corn chips, tortilla chips--love corn bread, though I stay away from corn syrup. I've tried eliminating all sorts of things--all for nothing. I gave up on all that elimination diet stuff. I stick to a few food supplements that help me, and stay away from alcohol--they all contain sulfites which I do react to, and many of us do. Alcohol can actually help at first, then it makes you worse. If it works for you---great.
I fully accept food intolerances wont be everyones problem but expect a number of peopple will have been misdiagnosed. And as for the food elimination diet, its very unlikely you managed to eliminate corn, especially in the US. It gets everywhere. For example, potatoes are washed in a solution to stop them sprouting and going mouldy which is made from corn so not even a fresh potato is corn free.

Even the smell of the foods you listed would give me an instant headache, but I used to eat things like that and not get an instant reaction that I noticed until I knew what it was. I'm glad for you that you dont have to go through the corn thing but at least it does reduce symptoms for those of us with it.

I dont want to go off topic any more but if it helps even one person it is worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I confess that, frankly, I don't know what fibromyalgia is. It seems like a collection of symptoms with one name that surfaced as an actual disease fairly recently. No one seems to know what it is or what causes it, but my mother does think that there are psychological aspects, which cause physical pain. Not sure.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I confess that, frankly, I don't know what fibromyalgia is. It seems like a collection of symptoms with one name that surfaced as an actual disease fairly recently. No one seems to know what it is or what causes it, but my mother does think that there are psychological aspects, which cause physical pain. Not sure.

I agree with your conclusion. In my particular case, the pain and insomnia symptoms respond well to medication targeting chemical imbalances in the brain, leading me to conclude that my disease is caused by overactive pain receptors in the brain. For others the pain and insomnia results from major trauma such as an automobile accident. For others, however, it seems to be related to diet or other environmental factors. Still others develop symptoms related to psychological stress. For many, the symptoms come and go to varying degrees. For myself, the symptoms are very stable.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For others the pain and insomnia results from major trauma such as an automobile accident.

mine was triggered by a car accident
totally fine before accident and was working two jobs up to 14 hr/day
(10 at one which required overtime then my pt job in eve.)

diagnosed by a rheumatologist
am never without pain but the amount of pain varies
pain in all parts of body including neck, shoulders, chest, back, arms, and legs
when it's really bad feels like a fire burning pain

the rheum. didn't give me meds and as far as I know only narcotics can take away fibro pain and certainly not going that route
everyday I use heat on some part of my body, whichever is worse for that day

read that Lady Gaga has fibro and that she got a heat box
would like something like that but am sure that would be expensive

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

pain in all parts of body including neck, shoulders, chest, back, arms, and legs

the rheum. didn't give me meds and as far as I know only narcotics can take away fibro pain and certainly not going that route

Funny, I was in a car accident, too. Interesting. It wasn't a terrible car accident, but my nervous system seems slightly messed up after the fact. Tremors, muscle spasms, fatigue, deep, random muscle pain, etc. I'm not old, only 34, but my body feels much older.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,431.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Some non-narcotic meds actually do help. I take gabapentin (Neurontin) and duloxetine, which consistently have maintained my pain level at about two, so I actually am able to function normally. However, these meds work for nerve pain, which mine seems to be, and are not helpful for others.

Heat does help a lot, especially a nice warm bath or hot tub. There are a lot of things which help and I recommend that you try them until you find something that actually works for you and then stick with it.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

When they used to say it's all in your head---they were right! It's the equivalent of your brain short circuiting. I've often wondered if electric shock treatments would be of help. They are done much nor humanely now, they put you to seep! And yes, it often hits after a trauma. It's also an interesting thing that when I as on a fibro website, the number of people that had been abused, either physically or emotionally was very high. And the longer the abuse, the worse the symptoms. It's almost like the brain says--enough, and it was one assault too many and the circuitry overloaded and got damaged! Whatever--it just plain stinks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When they used to say it's all in your head---they were right! It's the equivalent of your brain short circuiting. I've often wondered if electric shock treatments would be of help. They are done much nor humanely now, they put you to seep! And yes, it often hits after a trauma. It's also an interesting thing that when I as on a fibro website, the number of people that had been abused, either physically or emotionally was very high. And the longer the abuse, the worse the symptoms. It's almost like the brain says--enough, and it was one assault too many and the circuitry overloaded and got damaged! What've--it just plain stinks.
Interesting. My mother has also noted a connection to abuse, especially, sadly, sexual abuse / trauma. It's like the body's saying "enough", and just hurts all the time as a coping / defense mechanism.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a psychological aspect to fibro, I dont think that is in doubt. What I have found is that the symptoms are caused by triggers. I have a food intolerance to corn/sweetcorn/maize and if I have anything with that in I get terrible symptoms. I also find that if any part of my body gets cold when I am asleep I get aches and pains in that part of my body. For me at least there is a proven link between physical causes for pretty much all my symptoms. Identifying and eliminating them is the key (for me).

Trauma is a well documented factor in fibro being diagnosed. Neglect and no love in childhood or a traumatic event like accidents or abusive relationships are common. The medical world do look for trauma when diagnosing it. Physical stimulus are also key diagnostic requirements and pressure points are often used.

And for the record the link to trauma applies to me as well. They said I was textbook. My father was violent and verbally abusive for my whole childhood and I was the youngest of 3 brothers so they bullied me as well. My mum left when I was young (not her fault, she couldnt cope with him) so I was in a completely loveless and abusive environment at home.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There is a psychological aspect to fibro, I dont think that is in doubt. What I have found is that the symptoms are caused by triggers. I have a food intolerance to corn/sweetcorn/maize and if I have anything with that in I get terrible symptoms. I also find that if any part of my body gets cold when I am asleep I get aches and pains in that part of my body. For me at least there is a proven link between physical causes for pretty much all my symptoms. Identifying and eliminating them is the key (for me).

Trauma is a well documented factor in fibro being diagnosed. Neglect and no love in childhood or a traumatic event like accidents or abusive relationships are common. The medical world do look for trauma when diagnosing it. Physical stimulus are also key diagnostic requirements and pressure points are often used.

And for the record the link to trauma applies to me as well. They said I was textbook. My father was violent and verbally abusive for my whole childhood and I was the youngest of 3 brothers so they bullied me as well. My mum left when I was young (not her fault, she couldnt cope with him) so I was in a completely loveless and abusive environment at home.

Yep--me to. Sexual abuse started at 5--2nd husband alcoholic with all the usual trauma that comes with that. I also have diabetic neuropathy pain in hands and feet and can't tolerate cold--but than I can't tolerate heat either! I have a narrow comfort zone. I had horrible IBS and dealt with it with muscle relaxants. However, looking back, that, and my coughing fits, ended when I had to go on disability and was no longer exposed to all the hospital chemicals. I didn't even see the connection till just a couple days ago!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey everyone. I suffer from Fibromyalgia. It really sucks. I was diagnosed in November of 2010. Who else on here has this debilitating disorder?

I was diagnosed with it years ago.

Taking magnesium and getting adequate vitamin D has helped. Also, avoiding stresses.

CBD is very good for fibro pain, I have used that myself. I support marijuana legalization, as a result. But in many states, it's already legal, since hemp oil doesn't necessarily contain THC, and hemp products are generally legal in the US, as long as they do not contain THC.

I even did accupuncture years ago, which was very helpful. My hormones were out of whack and my body was cold all the time, even in Florida heat.

All stress is stress, whether it's physical or mental, it strains your body, so it's good to do things to take care of yourself. I know in my own case my fibro came on from a period of both mental stress and physical illness that happened within a very narrow window of time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep--me to. Sexual abuse started at 5--2nd husband alcoholic with all the usual trauma that comes with that. I also have diabetic neuropathy pain in hands and feet and can't tolerate cold--but than I can't tolerate heat either! I have a narrow comfort zone. I had horrible IBS and dealt with it with muscle relaxants. However, looking back, that, and my coughing fits, ended when I had to go on disability and was no longer exposed to all the hospital chemicals. I didn't even see the connection till just a couple days ago!!!
That could well be a corn intolerance or other food. Some of the symptoms are fibro like and others include aches and pains, IBS, cough, sensitivity to chemicals.

Other symptoms include mental fog, irritability, hives in some people and many many other things. It might b worth looking into for you.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all fellow Fibro sufferers, I guess I'm officially in this club. lol

Thank you FireDragon76 for your post:

I was diagnosed with it years ago.

Taking magnesium and getting adequate vitamin D has helped. Also, avoiding stresses.

CBD is very good for fibro pain, I have used that myself. I support marijuana legalization, as a result. But in many states, it's already legal, since hemp oil doesn't necessarily contain THC, and hemp products are generally legal in the US, as long as they do not contain THC.

I even did accupuncture years ago, which was very helpful. My hormones were out of whack and my body was cold all the time, even in Florida heat.

All stress is stress, whether it's physical or mental, it strains your body, so it's good to do things to take care of yourself. I know in my own case my fibro came on from a period of both mental stress and physical illness that happened within a very narrow window of time.

This is very helpful to me. I've been looking into CBD and THC things to help the fibro and other chronic pains I have. It's good to see someone who has used it who has what I do and say that it works. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on it.

Also I've heard a lot about magnesium but have been very skeptical about that, still I will consider just about anything to see if it at least helps.

I'm 31 and as I get older it feels like the pain is getting worse and other fibro symptoms as well. Like they're changing or evolving, and also it feel like I'm gaining new symptoms that I didn't have when I was younger.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My (nonscientific) impression is that people with fibro tend to have people pleasing tendencies and tend to neglect self-care and not be able to say "no". It could be why more women than men tend to have it. Though I am a guy, I have a conscientious, INFP type personality.

I'm actually very lucky because most of my fibro symptoms have gone away over the years, but it took time.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My (nonscientific) impression is that people with fibro tend to have people pleasing tendencies and tend to neglect self-care and not be able to say "no". It could be why more women than men tend to have it. Though I am a guy, I have a conscientious, INFP type personality.

I'm actually very lucky because most of my fibro symptoms have gone away over the years, but it took time.

I've had it for over 27 years. The research suggests that those who have had "cures" didn't have it to begin with---it mimics many things. It is a brain dysfunction. I've tried elimination diets and all sorts of stuff---nothing did any good. Lyrica and Savella helps some--side affects on me were too severe. LDN did help some, but I couldn't afford it. Morgan Freeman and Lada Gaga both have it.

Upvote 0