Does anyone here read the "Left Behind" books?

WOTbunny

Sep 2, 2002
Surrey, BC
Visit site
✟248.00
Faith
Christian
Good stories and interesting reading, but uhhh... not particularly well written. Don't get too mad, I'm not bashing Jesus or anything (in some people's eyes the authors are right up there however) but the books read as if written by a 16 year old. I couldn't really get past that and dropped the books after the 6th one (whatever it was). "Joe said, '.............', so Bob said, '......... .' Joe disagreed so he said, '...........' " etc

Still good, and at a reading level so as to draw in all types of people and even those who wouldn't normally read. A few non-christians I work with (at a warehouse, typically low row low-IQ type guys) love the books to death, and I commend the authors for that. But for those who do read quite a bit, it's just a bit too far on the other end of the spectrum.

Just my two cents of course

-Sean

Upvote 0

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by WOTbunny
Good stories and interesting reading, but uhhh... not particularly well written. Don't get too mad, I'm not bashing Jesus or anything (in some people's eyes the authors are right up there however) but the books read as if written by a 16 year old. I couldn't really get past that and dropped the books after the 6th one (whatever it was). "Joe said, '.............', so Bob said, '......... .' Joe disagreed so he said, '...........' " etc

Still good, and at a reading level so as to draw in all types of people and even those who wouldn't normally read. A few non-christians I work with (at a warehouse, typically low row low-IQ type guys) love the books to death, and I commend the authors for that. But for those who do read quite a bit, it's just a bit too far on the other end of the spectrum.

Just my two cents of course

-Sean

I agree with you a little there actually! I believe the books could have had a LOT more detail to them, and saved with the 500 different characters that you have to keep track of!

Still, for the most part, I have enjoyed them. I feel like I really know these people, and am so glad I will never have to go through what they're going through!

Upvote 0
I enjoyed all of the books and look forward to the next one. I think the different characteristics and personalities of the characters was well done and not a hodge podge of characters that all seem like clones.
Although I agree after a while it gets difficult to keep track of them all, especially after you let a period of time go between reading the next book.

When the next one comes out I'll have to go back and read right through from the beginning of the series again.

Anyone have a favorite character?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
no so, if an author is good enough, he/she can stick so many details and thoughts in that the story will spin into a very large scale.

yep, the LB books are quite good..... but the descriptions and style are a bit disappointing. (still good though)

Upvote 0

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Blessed-one
no so, if an author is good enough, he/she can stick so many details and thoughts in that the story will spin into a very large scale.

yep, the LB books are quite good..... but the descriptions and style are a bit disappointing. (still good though)

LOL! the author may be good, but my little brain can only keep track of so many details before I just have to put the book down! :)

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I read the LB books! My only problem with them is that sometimes I think they drag. Not neccessarily in action but the storyline. When there was supposed to be only 7 books, they zipped right along. When they changed it to 12, the stories, IMO, slowed down. I really think the series could have been finished in 7 books. But, I am not the authors.

I do enjoy reading them though. Mainly because I want to see who makes it to the end!

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟35,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read them. I actually like them. I'm going through 12 step for this...

J/K!! LOL I agree with Sean way up there, they kind of lost quality after about book 8 ( I give a little more credit there, but not by much). My favourite so far is The Mark. Nothing written since then has really captured my emotions and attention like that one. I also agree that there are too many characters to deal with now. Too many tangents going on, and most of it is getting really unbelievable now. Especialy when he's describing someone in a romantic or dating relationship. Oy!! Kind of makes me wonder just how out of touch this author is with real relationships.

My favourite character WAS DAvid... he was the absolute best! Don't like Chang nearly as much, but I do like him.

Oh dang.. I just realized if someone hasn't read as far as I have.... sorry for that little spoiler.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
smurfy2day,

lol, that's a possible reaction, it's pretty hard to keep track of all the characters.. confusing.

My only problem with them is that sometimes I think they drag.
wvmtnkid,

i reckon there're too many dialogues in the book, which made it all the more "superficial", if the books were down to seven, then the impression won't last, and the impact won't be as dramatic. It won't feel complete... finished.....
well, that's my opinion anyway. :)

Upvote 0

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by mld3three
They are good books. I think that it is important to remember they are fiction though, only an interpration of what could happen. Some people have been known to take them as gospel and that is dangerous.

They may be, but I personally think that most of the stuff WILL happen, and since I didn't have a clue how some of this stuff was going to be pulled off, I think they did an EXCELLENT job of interpreting. Especially the horsemen that breathe smoke and sulphur.... Bravo. I never would have thought that one out!

Upvote 0