Does Anyone have a back injury that req'd surgery??? Input please!

Nan1

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Washington
✟3,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, there. Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I was not sure where to post and am fairly new to this particular forum. Not even sure if posting here was correct, but it does involve my spouse...so, here goes....

My hubby has degenerative disc disease. He's been injured for a little over three years now. He has had one surgery already (two years ago) that helped somewhat, but now the disease has taken a turn and rapidly degenerating his lumbar discs. Have gotten second opinions. There is one surgery out there that involves disc replacement, but is costly and relatively new (so insurance won't cover it). The only option left us is fusion.

My question is this: Has anyone had these types of surgery (disc replacement or fusion)?? Did it improve your situation? How was your family life during recovery? Would you recommend fusion to another?

I greatly appreciate any comments (and prayer). We are praying for God's wisdom in all of this and diligently seeking direction. If you know of somewhere else I should post, let me know.

Thanks,
Nan

B

Beth1231

I am in the early stages of degenerative discs. I don't know if it is too late for your husband or not, but I recommend chiropractic. They have helped me a lot. My discs are getting blood flow and nutrients to them during adjustments which slows down the degenerative process. I would check into a "holistic" chiropractic office before I went for surgery. I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When my back was at it's worst, my chriopractor was a God sent. I went twice a week and it helpped so much on top of what my rhumatoligist was doing!

I would highly recommend NOT to have DYE injected into it for any reason. The dye sometimes does not disapate and then they cannot see through it for further X-rays or MRIs so it's a major pain.

I was 16 at the time, so my family pretty much let me be, the only one who really noticed was the dog who wasn't getting walked.

Recovery was slow, but I think I bounced back quicker because of my age and I was used to being in pain.

Once they say he should move, he should the longer he stops doing stuff the stuffer he'll get. The last thing he would want is to kill his range of motion from lack of motion and then have to work for it which is a lot harder than keep it.

Good luck.

Upvote 0