Does a Rosary a day keep the devils away?

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No..... at least, not in my experience.

Praying a daily Rosary and Chaplet of Devine Mercy durring Lent has been good for my soul, I suppose, but has not made me less likely to commit grave sins.

That may not have anything to do with devils, it probably has to do with personal vises.

When my wife and I started living as true Christians (as Catholics according to the RCC) we both came under attack by devil(s). My wife would be awakened at night feeling like she could not breath and a weight was on top of her. She thought of the Rosary and the weight disappeared. She felt sure that a demon was interrupting her sleep but the prayer always helped. This is also coming from a woman that found it difficult to pray to Mary for fear of taking away any honor or glory from God. My wife has been a testament to me in so many ways.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save thew world."

Saint Dominic

I sleep with the Rosary wrapped around my hand. It's always there if I can't sleep.

I keep a Rosary on my bedpost. I have been waking up around three a.m. for so many years that I started saying prayers when I get up. Usually only the Joyful mystery or Divine Mercy. I also have holy water and an Icon that I pray with and some olive oil from a picture that sweats it out from Canada and some chrism and incense. I am a real freak now. :D

But, I can tell you all this... My spiritually life is much greater and my vices are far fewer. So, it has been helping. :crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for the link. I don't know about the demons but I believe it helps me remember more about Jesus and His life and a whole lot of things. What the demons do about anything is not something I think of really. Sorry to say, I need to be more consistent about praying the Rosary. Again ty for the link.

Upvote 0

Eastern Drifter

Oct 19, 2011
the Ages of Ages
✟16,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't pray the whole rosary. However, I do still say the individual "Hail Mary" prayer in another form (see my signature).

Also, "Most Holy Theotokos, save me, a sinner."

I've always struggled with issues of severe anxiety, anger, and depression. For the longest time, I had to tough it out. But once I really started to pray, focusing on the words, their meaning, and exercising a little faith and humility, I can overcome episodes of destructive emotion (sometimes with anger, I don't want to 'overcome' it, however, since it feels so empowering and liberating in a way). As far as depression goes, I made a thread on this forum a while back about how a "Hail Mary" pulled me out of a state of near complete despondency.

Love for the Theotokos cancels out fear. Gratitude for her obedience to God cancels out anger. It's a matter of disciplining yourself to pray. Being willing to pray. With the aforementioned faith and humility. That's more challenging than it sounds, because behold, I am a very deeply flawed sinner even now.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ahhh, JacktheCatholic, 3 a.m. must or is supposed to be the witching hour. At any rate I to awake at three. Think I will try and say the Rosary then or at the very least some prayers. Take care and God bless

God bless Tigg. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't pray the whole rosary. However, I do still say the individual "Hail Mary" prayer in another form (see my signature).

Also, "Most Holy Theotokos, save me, a sinner."

I've always struggled with issues of severe anxiety, anger, and depression. For the longest time, I had to tough it out. But once I really started to pray, focusing on the words, their meaning, and exercising a little faith and humility, I can overcome episodes of destructive emotion (sometimes with anger, I don't want to 'overcome' it, however, since it feels so empowering and liberating in a way). As far as depression goes, I made a thread on this forum a while back about how a "Hail Mary" pulled me out of a state of near complete despondency.

Love for the Theotokos cancels out fear. Gratitude for her obedience to God cancels out anger. It's a matter of disciplining yourself to pray. Being willing to pray. With the aforementioned faith and humility. That's more challenging than it sounds, because behold, I am a very deeply flawed sinner even now.

I have dealt with the anger and anxiety and depression too. Prayer is always helpful for me. There have been times while praying the Rosary or Divine Mercy that I meditate on Jesus when he is on the Cross and suffering for us and I have felt not only humbled but grief too, as though I was there watching Him be spit on and tortured. And, these times of prayer have helped with change in me to where I have managed to change and not be so angry or anxious. It is awesome that we have this to help us.

By the way, the prayer in your Sig is cool. I like how the Orthodox have the Greek version of much of what we Latins have. It kind of adds another facet to how I see things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Starlightsobright

Jesus is Love
Aug 2, 2011
✟22,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Rosary is an excellent prayer and it is the scourge of the devil. Those that pray it do come under spiritual attack. If prayed correctly and following scripture with it you are meditating on the Gospel of our Lord and it will bring you many graces. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is also an excellent prayer and it very common for those who pracitse both devotions to be awakened at 3am to pray the chaplet.

Scriptural Rosary, Beginning Prayers Of The Holy Rosary

This way is much longer and I don't say it this way often.
I do however pray it everyday and belong to Our Lady's Rosary Makers although I haven't made a Rosary in the past months I have made then for years.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No..... at least, not in my experience.

Praying a daily Rosary and Chaplet of Devine Mercy durring Lent has been good for my soul, I suppose, but has not made me less likely to commit grave sins.
We don't need demons to inspire us to commit grave sins. I would argue that since prayers drive away evil people it would follow that prayer also drives away evil spirits (demons).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Rosary is an excellent prayer and it is the scourge of the devil. Those that pray it do come under spiritual attack. If prayed correctly and following scripture with it you are meditating on the Gospel of our Lord and it will bring you many graces. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is also an excellent prayer and it very common for those who pracitse both devotions to be awakened at 3am to pray the chaplet.

Scriptural Rosary, Beginning Prayers Of The Holy Rosary

This way is much longer and I don't say it this way often.
I do however pray it everyday and belong to Our Lady's Rosary Makers although I haven't made a Rosary in the past months I have made then for years.

Great link for prayers.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am just curious. How many of you use this prayer when you say the Rosary?

O my Jesus
Forgive us ours sins,
save us from the fires of Hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of thy mercy.

I had never in my life heard this prayer until I moved to the Bible Belt...but the ladies here in the Bible Belt act like it was always part of the Rosary. I don't know why they think they know more than the Dominican sisters who taught me in grammar school.

Or my mother. Or my grandmother.

I have just read it is a "pious addition." In other words, that it is optional...

If I am in a group that is praying the Rosary, I'm thinking to myself, "Oh, heavens, how does that prayer go again?"

So is it a part of your Rosary, or not? Or do you think it's optional? And if it is optional, do you choose to add it, or not?

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fantine said:
I am just curious. How many of you use this prayer when you say the Rosary?

O my Jesus
Forgive us ours sins,
save us from the fires of Hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of thy mercy.

I had never in my life heard this prayer until I moved to the Bible Belt...but the ladies here in the Bible Belt act like it was always part of the Rosary. I don't know why they think they know more than the Dominican sisters who taught me in grammar school.

Or my mother. Or my grandmother.

I have just read it is a "pious addition." In other words, that it is optional...

If I am in a group that is praying the Rosary, I'm thinking to myself, "Oh, heavens, how does that prayer go again?"

So is it a part of your Rosary, or not? Or do you think it's optional? And if it is optional, do you choose to add it, or not?

I think it is called the Prayer of Fatima and, Yes, I use it. It comes after the Glory to the Father...at the end of each decade. However, I was told that it is an optional prayer, so you don't have to say it if you learned to Pray your Rosary without it. But I love saying that prayer; it produces in me a sense of hope and of confidence in Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0