Does a Bible verse carry more than one meaning?

mrmccormo

Jul 27, 2011
✟8,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just curious what the board thinks. Were Bible verses written with a specific, singular meaning in mind? Is there one meaning per verse?

Or, can you get multiple lessons and multiple meanings from the same verse or story?

ONE THING: when I say "multiple meanings", I'm not talking about getting a deeper understanding of the same meaning. For instance, one could say that the story of the Good Samaritan is about love. True. But, it is also about loving your neighbor when they are hurt. True. But, it is also about how even people who are considered outcasts of society can carry out God's love. Those are not "different meanings" but are simply deeper understandings of the one, same meaning.

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just curious what the board thinks. Were Bible verses written with a specific, singular meaning in mind? Is there one meaning per verse?

Or, can you get multiple lessons and multiple meanings from the same verse or story?

ONE THING: when I say "multiple meanings", I'm not talking about getting a deeper understanding of the same meaning. For instance, one could say that the story of the Good Samaritan is about love. True. But, it is also about loving your neighbor when they are hurt. True. But, it is also about how even people who are considered outcasts of society can carry out God's love. Those are not "different meanings" but are simply deeper understandings of the one, same meaning.

There are some passages that have double meanings. The story of the prodigal son had what you might call a double meaning.

Jesus had two audiences he was addressing in that story. He was revealing how God's kingdom is in relation to all of us.

One audience was the outcasts and sinners. They were the one's who were not good enough for the Jewish religious crowd. We see the Father in the story embracing them inspite of all they had done. He appeals to our sense of familial love in the story and says God's kingdom is like that. Of course there are as you pointed out deeper cultural meanings to it that are profound. For example, a son who did what the prodigal did was the worst of insults he could have made to His father. It was the same as the prodigal saying "you are dead to me."

Yet we see this father in the story transcending cultural boundaries and out of deep love for his child giving him his portion, waiting and hoping for the son to return, then when the son returns instead of rightfully shaming the son and turning a cold shoulder (which the father was completely justified in doing) instead he runs to him when he sees him afar off. Many Christians focus in on the repentance of the prodigal, but that is not really the point. The father ran to him long before he had a chance to repent.

It's a picture of a loving father that is so in love with his son, he doesn't care about what he did or how he disgraced him or that he wasted his inheritance. He does not wait on the porch and wait to see how sorry or repentant his son is. Such great love.

To Jesus' sinner and outcast audience this must have been a most wonderful and captivating story. They wouldn't have been thinking about how sorry the prodigal is. Anyone who has realized the consequences of their sin knows it promises something it can't deliver. What they would have been captivated by is this tremendous love of this father and then the "sounds to good to be true" Jesus telling them, this is the way God is.

Then there is the other audience. The religious audience of the day, that kept the rules and were faithful. Jesus again displays God's love in the story. The elder brother is proud and self righteous and yet the Father loves him just the same.

It is a message to both audiences. A message of the love of the Father and the kingdom of God.

So long story short, yes in a sense passages can have multiple meanings. They can also mean different things for us at different times. Understanding the original purpose of each one though helps to bring things into focus. So then in another sense, no not really, they only had one original meaning.

Scriptures are not meant to be enigmatic. Many times they are imagery that paints a picture. Other times they are just informational. (Ex. Joe will come to see you when he gets back.) I'd say most of the time Scriptures speak to the heart and are meant to be understood with the heart.

That's my two cents anyway. Hope that helps answer the question.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Good question. My instinct is that it should mean the same to all believers, because like the bible says we should all "be of a like mind"

But I agree with the previous posters.. some have more than one meaning (especially the parables). I think this is why the Spirit is so important. I think as long as we pursue Him, He will reveal the Truth in a passage for our lives.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Christians ar
Good question. My instinct is that it should mean the same to all believers, because like the bible says we should all "be of a like mind"

But I agree with the previous posters.. some have more than one meaning (especially the parables). I think this is why the Spirit is so important. I think as long as we pursue Him, He will reveal the Truth in a passage for our lives.
I think Christians deep down are all of one mind. Sure we have different opinions of how to look at things, sometimes very different. But when it comes to compassion, mercy, justice, grace, love. We are (deep down) of the same heart and mind. IMO :)

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Psalms has many passages which apply to David personally, and also end up with Messianic implications. Also, the prophetic books, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and a number of the minor prophets have that as well, a local or immediate application of a prophecy, and also a future fulfillment.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
I think Christians ar
I think Christians deep down are all of one mind. Sure we have different opinions of how to look at things, sometimes very different. But when it comes to compassion, mercy, justice, grace, love. We are (deep down) of the same heart and mind. IMO :)

That's very sweet but in a way naive to say. I say naive bec the bible mentions that there are false prophets (false teachers) who claim christianity but teach a false gospel, which leads people away from Christ. (ear-tickling doctrine, just what they "want" to hear and believe)

Now you could say, these are not True Christians, and as for true Christians those believers all think alike. Then I would be inclined to agree with you :)

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Yes. There are definitely multiple applications for the same passage. God is a pretty good multitasker. It begins early in the scripture too. Multiple fulfillment of prophesy is one example. The use of shadows is another. Jesus was the passover lamb and Israel also had a literal lamb that they used.

This does not mean that all meanings that people get out of a passage are correct. There is such a thing as interpreting a passage incorrectly.

But there certainly are layers of meaning in a passage. Layers of understanding. We see this in church when different Pastors will preach a hundred different messages out of the same passage.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's very sweet but in a way naive to say. I say naive bec the bible mentions that there are false prophets (false teachers) who claim christianity but teach a false gospel, which leads people away from Christ. (ear-tickling doctrine, just what they "want" to hear and believe)

Now you could say, these are not True Christians, and as for true Christians those believers all think alike. Then I would be inclined to agree with you :)

Well just so I'm not misunderstood, God is the only one who truly knows who has received God's love into their heart. That said, yes that is what I meant. Christians are funny. We are just as human as the next person, and yet there is a quality to Christians that others don't have. From observation I notice that Christians (the one's I think really believe it and are not just wearing it as a tag) are forgiving, loving, gracious, merciful, want to see justice not judgment just for the sake of it. You might call it fingerprints of agape, they just love without any reason. It's one of those things that just show up and many times they are unaware of it. They may even not want to be that way at times, but still they are. Not perfect, just a love for Love itself. If that makes sense.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Well just so I'm not misunderstood, God is the only one who truly knows who has received God's love into their heart. That said, yes that is what I meant. Christians are funny. We are just as human as the next person, and yet there is a quality to Christians that others don't have. From observation I notice that Christians (the one's I think really believe it and are not just wearing it as a tag) are forgiving, loving, gracious, merciful, want to see justice not judgment just for the sake of it. You might call it fingerprints of agape, they just love without any reason. It's one of those things that just show up and many times they are unaware of it. They may even not want to be that way at times, but still they are. Not perfect, just a love for Love itself. If that makes sense.

I love when I find Christians I don't have to even explain myself with because we just have that understanding from God's love. To me, that is the biggest evidence of the existence of God and affirmation of my faith. I realize that I'm not going to have that sort of connection with every Christian. But I do think most Christians experience this, and it's a completely AWESOME mystical gift from the Father.:angel:
Praise Him for that:clap:

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love when I find Christians I don't have to even explain myself with because we just have that understanding from God's love. To me, that is the biggest evidence of the existence of God and affirmation of my faith. I realize that I'm not going to have that sort of connection with every Christian. But I do think most Christians experience this, and it's a completely AWESOME mystical gift from the Father.:angel:
Praise Him for that:clap:

:)
;)

Upvote 0

Ed J

Nov 27, 2010
✟10,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does a Bible verse carry more than one meaning?
Hi mrmccormo and Everyone else,

I believe there is evidence to suggest this is true...

This is a topic I was attempting to start on another forum: and in doing
an internet search, to find the best verse to start with, I landed on your site.

Here is one such example (1 Corinthians 14:27):

"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three,
and that by course; and let one interpret." (1 Corinthians 14:27)

On the face value context: we see that Shaool is referring to Church protocol
with regard to speaking in tongues. No-one understands, then someone interprets. <-- simple enough

But I believe there is an even deeper truth to this verse. Consider this verse
itself as a Prophetic Utterance form the "HolySpirit" that needs interpretation.
I believe the deeper meaning is about the bible itself. The English "AKJV Bible".

AKJV Bible interpretation...

"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two (Hebrew, Aramaic),
or at the most by three (Greek), and that by course;
and let one (AKJV Bible) interpret." (1 Cor 14:27).

Do a word search in Strong's Concordance on the word "interpret"
and you will see that it means "to Translate". Now if you think
this interpretation is all washed up, consider this verse:

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth,
purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt
preserve them from this generation for ever."(Psalms 12:6-7)

The words "purified seven times" is the key PROOF this interpretation is true.
God's word certainly needed no purification, but the English translation SURE DID!

Upvote 0

Ed J

Nov 27, 2010
✟10,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is a second witness (Isaiah 28:11) to the interpretation of "AKJV Bible" to the verse (1 Cor 14:27)

"For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people." (Isaiah 28:11)

(1) First: Let's at the face value context of this verse. "this people" - what "People"?
I believe this people are the Hebrew speaking people (I believe most would agree).

(2) Next: "another tongue" - could be a reference to Greek, as the New Testament was written in Greek.
This makes sense.

(3) But there is another answer that fits the bill as well. Consider English speaking Christians.

One interpretation does not preclude the other. Both can be true! We know the English speaking
world is BY FAR the leading tongue that is witnessing to the unbelieving Hebrew speaking people
that "YA-shu-a" is indeed their Messiah. So that is the first example. And here is more PROOF...

"In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." (2 Cor 13:1)

1 First witness: Psalm 12:6-7
2 Second witness: Isaiah 28:11

3 Also Consider 2 Corinthians 13:1

"In the mouth of two (Hebrew, Aramaic,) or three witnesses
(Greek) shall every word be established." (2 Corinthians 13:1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Verses are in settings that generally have specific meanings and intentions. However, one can learn many different things from each setting. The problem comes when someone believes they have gleaned from a scripture something that contradicts what God has said somewhere else. To get the correct idea of what is being talked about one must read the scripture in its context. What did the message convey to its original hearers and what is the culture behind what is going on? It does make a difference in our correctly understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
multiple lessons and multiple meanings from the same verse or story such as:

Christ and the tabernacle, the fear of the Lord, church, and His yoke is easy.

Also, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." Gen 1:5

Why this order? The darkness gives way to the light and warmth of the day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
multiple lessons and multiple meanings from the same verse or story such as:

Christ and the tabernacle, the fear of the Lord, and His yoke is easy.

Also, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." Gen 1:5

Why this order? The darkness gives way to the light and warmth of the day.

Yes, God is very deep and we must continue to dig to find. It will never contradict itself though which so many new doctrines that people come up with do. I think one needs to be careful though to try and find hidden messages in what the Apostles wrote in the newer Testament. There are some pretty strange doctrines that come out of people pulling a verse out of it's setting and it has nothing to do with that particular doctrine at all...that makes the doctrine a doctrine of demons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said "now the night comes when no man can work" the night was indeed coming during that day, but He also spoke of when He would be taken away from them.

Since Jesus spoke with a double meaning, it is possible every passage can have a second meaning if God is person being narrated as speaking.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes because we all know in part and God may choose to reveal a part of a verse to you to expand your knowledge. I would also add that there may be times God uses a specific verse to speak to you that may be just for your, although you have to be careful in this so as not to be deceived.

Upvote 0