Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
To what degree is Christian doctrine threatened by JEPD? Is it a deal breaker or not? I can't fathom how to reconcile the two.

I don't think it matters a great deal who wrote the Pentateuch; what matters is the theology contained therein.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it matters a great deal who wrote the Pentateuch; what matters is the theology contained therein.

I'm not sure it is just that. The theology itself appears to have been evolved, and later edited. If it is true that the idea of a covenant is a late one, then Abraham (if he existed) didn't receive a covenant - or at least he didn't recognise it as such. Isn't the basis of our salvation the Abrahamic covenant?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Technically it shouldn't be an issue. But in practice it's hard to maintain both the documentary hypothesis and inerrancy. Pretty much everyone who accepts the DH regards Gen 1 and 2 as not entirely consistent with each other. Inerrancy is the foundation of conservative Protestantism, so the DH is normally rejected by conservative Protestants. During the latter parr of the 20th Cent Catholics accepted critical Biblical scholarship. I believe most Catholic scholars today would be similar to non-conservative Protestants and secular scholars. I'm not sure the DH is universal there, but it's common.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Technically it shouldn't be an issue. But in practice it's hard to maintain both the documentary hypothesis and inerrancy. Pretty much everyone who accepts the DH regards Gen 1 and 2 as not entirely consistent with each other. Inerrancy is the foundation of conservative Protestantism, so the DH is normally rejected by conservative Protestants. During the latter parr of the 20th Cent Catholics accepted critical Biblical scholarship. I believe most Catholic scholars today would be similar to non-conservative Protestants and secular scholars. I'm not sure the DH is universal there, but it's common.

Inerrancy is a dead duck and I don't consider it at all plausible. So how do those who accept DH (such as modern catholics) reconcile it with theology described in the most heavily edited, redacted books?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

All Souls

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm not sure it is just that. The theology itself appears to have been evolved, and later edited. If it is true that the idea of a covenant is a late one, then Abraham (if he existed) didn't receive a covenant - or at least he didn't recognise it as such. Isn't the basis of our salvation the Abrahamic covenant?

The basis of salvation is faith in Christ. I made a comment elsewhere on this site, that, to me, the New Testament is about salvation, and the Old Testament is about the need for it. Speaking very broadly of course.

In any case, reconstructing what happened more than two millennia ago is at best guesswork. Even amongst liberal scholars, there are nowadays at least two alternative hypotheses in circulation.

If you spend all your time worrying about how the Bible was put together, you will never get around to reading what it says theologically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The basis of salvation is faith in Christ.

Indeed. In that sense, most theology relies on the N.T. As to the need for salvation, we don't actually require the O.T. to tell us that it's necessary.

Upvote 0
A

All Souls

Formats
Amazon Price New from Used from
Hardcover -- $1,098.50 $169.99
Paperback -- -- --

The US price seems somewhat prohibitive for a personal library; I think the thing to keep in mind is that there are many Christians who hold to biblical criticism, thus adherence to JEDP does not demand one to reject faith in Jesus. One example is the Reverend Professor Ernest Nicholson whose book on the Pentateuch can be previewed online.

Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To what degree is Christian doctrine threatened by JEPD? Is it a deal breaker or not? I can't fathom how to reconcile the two.

Not at all. It isn't a deal breaker.

How to reconcile? Yes, that is a tough one. I do it by not assuming that we know the full historiographical nature of the bible. In other words, in our modern era, we want to assume that it meant to be a straightforward historical account, somewhat like intelligent people would write to today. But that, I think, is a mistake. Besides the fact that the bible is a collection of different genres of literature, some of the earliest (i.e. Genesis) are more in the way of theological polemics in the shape of history. Add to this that it has indications of being somewhat an reworking of older documents (e.g. Book of Wars), as well as having been worked over by later individuals. The early essence, however, it still there.

That's my approach anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not at all. It isn't a deal breaker.

How to reconcile? Yes, that is a tough one. I do it by not assuming that we know the full historiographical nature of the bible. In other words, in our modern era, we want to assume that it meant to be a straightforward historical account, somewhat like intelligent people would write to today. But that, I think, is a mistake. Besides the fact that the bible is a collection of different genres of literature, some of the earliest (i.e. Genesis) are more in the way of theological polemics in the shape of history. Add to this that it has indications of being somewhat an reworking of older documents (e.g. Book of Wars), as well as having been worked over by later individuals. The early essence, however, it still there.

That's my approach anyway.

It isn't that I don't believe you - but I don't see this in the church. I only see it in the halls of academia. What role does the bible play in the outworking of your faith?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It isn't that I don't believe you - but I don't see this in the church. I only see it in the halls of academia. What role does the bible play in the outworking of your faith?

I don't see the problem. For the sake of argument, let's say that the JEPD hypothesis is correct, and that J was writing around 1,000BC. The world Abraham is depicted as inhabiting is that of the first half of the second millenium BC. Therefore, in writing about Abraham, J was either:

1.) Making stuff up, or

2.) Reworking earlier traditions.

One or the other must be true, and yet people who want to reject the first possibility seem also to want to reject the second possibility.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Sayre said:
Inerrancy is a dead duck and I don't consider it at all plausible. So how do those who accept DH (such as modern catholics) reconcile it with theology described in the most heavily edited, redacted books?
God can't work through a process of development and redaction?

Upvote 0