Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ha-Ha..... As is your usual fashion Major1, you disregard the more difficult questions/assignments people ask of you. Like what ConcreteCamper just did.

Result........Silence.

And what I've asked of you for the forth or fifth time.

"As a person that self admittedly accepts the doctrine of Sola Scriptura.... could you please show where "exactly" in Scripture that it guarantees that you "personally" will be given an accurate understanding of the Bible?"

Would you please post the # of the comment where...............
""exactly" in Scripture that it guarantees that you "personally" will be given an accurate understanding of the Bible?"

You are couching your question in a way where it is trying to make me say something I have not said so I want to read the exact words. You seem to operate in a way where you are seeking some kind of
comment from me so that you can then dissect it and use it as a hammer. This is the 3rd time you have done that.

DO you actually have any input to the subject of this thread or is it just you personal calling to ask me questions.

Then would you please post where I have said that I know more than you or anyone else.

The opposite is the truth. I do not know as much as most here know. I am only an old country boy from NA and proud to be one who is always having to work to find things out.

IF you knew me you would not even ask such a question at all.
IF you knew the Scriptures you would not ask such a question.

The Bible says in 2 Peter 1:20...............
"“But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation."

No one, the passage says, is allowed the comfort of a private, personal interpretation of the Bible. The Bible is not to be read in such a way that it is made to conform to our opinions and assumptions; instead, we must conform to what it says.

Now is the Bible is eminently understandable?????? It makes this very claim for itself in Eph 3:4.....
"In reading this, then, you will be able to understand the insight into the mystery of Christ".

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Would you please post the # of the comment where...............""exactly" in Scripture that it guarantees that you "personally" will be given an accurate understanding of the Bible?"

Okay, on your very own "Was Peter Baptized?" thread. Page 8, post # 158; Page 10, post's # 182,183, 192 and in page 17, post # 321 of this thread.

You are couching your question in a way where it is trying to make me say something I have not said so I want to read the exact words. You seem to operate in a way where you are seeking some kind of comment from me so that you can then dissect it and use it as a hammer. This is the 3rd time you have done that.

It was actually my fifth time. Anyway, My intent is not to hammer on you at all. All I'm am asking is why we should take your personal interpretation/ understanding/ teaching of scripture as absolute and without error. As I said before, all through this forum you have disagreed with other posters understanding of any certain passage as of they were in error, and your's was not. If you remember, back on the "Was Peter Baptized?" thread, you said to TheDictator:

You are forcing the Scriptures to say what YOU want them to say instead of just accepting them as they are.

Remember? Then finding your statement interesting, I asked: "I find these statements quite interesting Major1. Could I ask by what authority is it, that you consider your understanding/interpretations/teachings of phrases and Scripture is correct, and Thedictator's is not?" Then you go on to say; "Good question" and that you base it on teachings of bible scholars, teachers ect. And for some reason quote 2Tim.3:16-17. Then you go on to say:

Now when the preponderance of Scriptures teaches us something, but some people believe it says something else, then every thing on that subject must be weighed with the filter of the Holy Spirit and how he speaks to us.

Then I responded: "Okay, however, what if 'Thedictator' claims that the Holy Spirit spoke to him as well in the disagreement the two of you had, who is in error, you or him, for the Holy Spirit cannot teach error, one of you has to be in error, right?" Your responce....... Silence!! Care to respond now?

Then would you please post where I have said that I know more than you or anyone else.

Sure, There are numerous examples throughout this forum, so I'll restrict it just to your "Was Peter Baptized?" thread.

Post #42: "That simply is not true.". #60; "This verse does not say that baptism is a requirement for salvation. Let me show you why." #61; Sorry friend, but that is not correct. #115; "I have explained to you now several the correct teachings on the phrases and Scriptures you posted and I really do not see a need to go on debating something that is really not debatable." 156, "Do you realize how wrong you are in your comments???" #174; "Your premise and theology is foundational wrong therefore the rest of your theology reflects that error my friend." #175, "Not so my friend!" #176, "So my statement stand that yes, you are in fact ADDING what you want the Scriptures to say instead of accepting them as they are written." #177, "Are you still with me? Do you understand this correct theology???" #178, "Again, you are adding to the Bible what YOU want it to say."

Thats just one thread!

The opposite is the truth. I do not know as much as most here know. I am only an old country boy from NA and proud to be one who is always having to work to find things out.

Still sticking to it, or would you care to retract? Oops! :)

The Bible says in 2 Peter 1:20...............
"“But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation."

No one, the passage says, is allowed the comfort of a private, personal interpretation of the Bible. The Bible is not to be read in such a way that it is made to conform to our opinions and assumptions; instead, we must conform to what it says.

Scripture also says Major1 we need an authority to help us interpret the Bible correctly:

"Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him." – Acts 8:30-31

The Bible also says that some parts are hard to understand, as Peter says when writing about Paul’s epistles:

"And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you, speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures." – 2 Peter 3:15-16.

Now if you do not agree with the Catholic Church's teaching of these passages, feel free to explain why, and by what authority you do so.

Keep in mind Major1, the Bible is a collection of ancient texts with different audiences, authors, messages, literary styles, objectives, and styles. Led by the Holy Spirit, we have to study it intently and have a proper hermeneutic, that is, a proper way of interpreting the Bible. If we don’t have this, then we can easily find ourselves committing interpretive errors and believing our own opinion in place of the truth of Scripture. While the Bible might be inerrant, we are not. If we were all inerrant in our individual interpretation of the Bible, then we wouldn’t have any differences in doctrine within Christianity. As it is, God set up way to give His Church a guide (the Holy Spirit) so we can reliably interpret Scripture.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, on your very own "Was Peter Baptized?" thread. Page 8, post # 158; Page 10, post's # 182,183, 192 and in page 17, post # 321 of this thread.

It was actually my fifth time. Anyway, My intent is not to hammer on you at all. All I'm am asking is why we should take your personal interpretation/ understanding/ teaching of scripture as absolute and without error. As I said before, all through this forum you have disagreed with other posters understanding of any certain passage as of they were in error, and your's was not. If you remember, back on the "Was Peter Baptized?" thread, you said to TheDictator:

Remember? Then finding your statement interesting, I asked: "I find these statements quite interesting Major1. Could I ask by what authority is it, that you consider your understanding/interpretations/teachings of phrases and Scripture is correct, and Thedictator's is not?" Then you go on to say; "Good question" and that you base it on teachings of bible scholars, teachers ect. And for some reason quote 2Tim.3:16-17. Then you go on to say:

Then I responded: "Okay, however, what if 'Thedictator' claims that the Holy Spirit spoke to him as well in the disagreement the two of you had, who is in error, you or him, for the Holy Spirit cannot teach error, one of you has to be in error, right?" Your responce....... Silence!! Care to respond now?

Sure, There are numerous examples throughout this forum, so I'll restrict it just to your "Was Peter Baptized?" thread.

Post #42: "That simply is not true.". #60; "This verse does not say that baptism is a requirement for salvation. Let me show you why." #61; Sorry friend, but that is not correct. #115; "I have explained to you now several the correct teachings on the phrases and Scriptures you posted and I really do not see a need to go on debating something that is really not debatable." 156, "Do you realize how wrong you are in your comments???" #174; "Your premise and theology is foundational wrong therefore the rest of your theology reflects that error my friend." #175, "Not so my friend!" #176, "So my statement stand that yes, you are in fact ADDING what you want the Scriptures to say instead of accepting them as they are written." #177, "Are you still with me? Do you understand this correct theology???" #178, "Again, you are adding to the Bible what YOU want it to say."

Thats just one thread!

Still sticking to it, or would you care to retract? Oops! :)

Scripture also says Major1 we need an authority to help us interpret the Bible correctly:

"Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him." – Acts 8:30-31

The Bible also says that some parts are hard to understand, as Peter says when writing about Paul’s epistles:

"And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you, speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures." – 2 Peter 3:15-16.

Now if you do not agree with the Catholic Church's teaching of these passages, feel free to explain why, and by what authority you do so.

Keep in mind Major1, the Bible is a collection of ancient texts with different audiences, authors, messages, literary styles, objectives, and styles. Led by the Holy Spirit, we have to study it intently and have a proper hermeneutic, that is, a proper way of interpreting the Bible. If we don’t have this, then we can easily find ourselves committing interpretive errors and believing our own opinion in place of the truth of Scripture. While the Bible might be inerrant, we are not. If we were all inerrant in our individual interpretation of the Bible, then we wouldn’t have any differences in doctrine within Christianity. As it is, God set up way to give His Church a guide (the Holy Spirit) so we can reliably interpret Scripture.

I can not help but notice that your comments stem from the Catholic "Blog" at
(Catholics + Bible + Personal Interpretation) where their thoughts were copied and pasted word for word.

The question you asked has been answered.

The comments you posted of my comments all must be taken in the context of how they were given and in the response from another person posting comments which I addressed.

They were all in response to his comments and if you read them I never said I knew more than him.
I simply said that IMO he was incorrect and by the way that is exactly what he said to me.
I notice that you did not post any of his comments to me.

If I had the need and desire to do it I could go through every comment you have made and come up with the same thing. But in all honesty, no one is that important to me that I would do such a thing.

On top of that, when one reads the comment posted to me, I stand by every single word said as it was a correct response to the context of the comment made by another person.

You said...............
"Keep in mind Major1, the Bible is a collection of ancient texts with different audiences, authors, messages, literary styles, objectives, and styles. Led by the Holy Spirit, we have to study it intently and have a proper hermeneutic, that is, a proper way of interpreting the Bible."

That is NOT something I need to keep in mind my friend. I have live my life with that understanding. And to that end, if and when someone who does not do that makes comments which are NOT Biblical teaching but instead are denominational dogma, those comments must be addressed even if you or anyone else do not like the Biblical answer.

Then you said.........
" Scripture also says Major1 we need an authority to help us interpret the Bible correctly".

Of course you as a Catholic believer accept only what the RCC tells you. You believe that it is only the RCC that can correctly interpret the Scriptures.

Did you know that that is exactly what the Mormons say!!!!

My dear friend, how do you know the Roman Catholic Church is the one true church in that it has the authority to forgive sins, give the sacrements, and interpret Scripture? Is it because you believe the Roman Catholic Church is true because it says it is the true church?

If so, then is that a good enough reason? If it is, then what do you do when another church claims to be the one true church? Is a simple claim sufficient? Of course not. Besides, if you trust whatever the Roman Catholic Church says about itself, then there's no way to verify if it is true or false because you would always believe whatever it says. So, if by some chance that were false, you would never know.
Who has the authority to interpret Scripture in Roman Catholicism? | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

You have stated that it is the church which has the authority to interpret Scriptures and you believe the Roman Catholic Church is the one true church? Since that is the case then you need to consider a few questions yourself........

1). By what authority do you interpret the word of God?
2). How do you know your interpretations of the Scriptures are correct?
3). Are you giving a private interpretation of the word of God?
4). Are you interpreting these verses for yourself without the authority of the Roman Catholic Church?
5). Are you subjecting the entire Roman Catholic Church to your interpretation of Scripture and thereby concluding it is true?

If you reply that you were just reading what the Scriptures say, then when I do the same thing and conclude that the Roman Catholic Church is not the true church, then you can't argue with me since I also am interpreting the Scriptures the same as you. But, if you say that I am wrong and you are right, then how do you know without asserting your own authority?

Now, do you have any input to the subject of this thread or are we just going to banter back and forth because you do not like what I say????

"Doctrine that adds to Scripture" is the threads focus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course you as a Catholic believer accept only what the RCC tells you. You believe that it is only the RCC that can correctly interpret the Scriptures.

Did you know that that is exactly what the Mormons say!!!!
And of course, Protestants believe they themselves as individuals are infallible, being led by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And of course, Protestants believe they themselves as individuals are infallible, being led by the Holy Spirit.

That is something I have never received a good explanation of.

I've seen protestants insist that "I am interpreting scripture correctly led by the Holy Spirit". Yet they arrive at different places than other protestant. Yet the only answer is that "I am right and they are wrong." "I am always the one who has done my homework correctly". "They are clearly wrong and I am right because of scripture."

It so confusing. I can see only 2 alternatives to the protestant phenomena. Either the Holy Spirit is fickle or these men are. My bet is that these men are.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I've seen protestants insist that "I am interpreting scripture correctly led by the Holy Spirit". Yet they arrive at different places than other protestant. Yet the only answer is that "I am right and they are wrong." "I am always the one who has done my homework correctly". "They are clearly wrong and I am right because of scripture."

It so confusing. I can see only 2 alternatives to the protestant phenomena. Either the Holy Spirit is fickle or these men are. My bet is that these men are.

The actual reality is that the Bible is easily understood such that ordinary people such as yourself could read it and understand it without resorting to "interpretation". It only happens that, when a particular Church decides to insert doctrines which either never appear in the Bible or, at worst, contradict the Bible, that folks jump through some really amazing interpretive hoops.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now here is one reason why I could never become a Catholic.

The 4th Session of the Council of Trent said:

"Furthermore, in order to restrain petulant spirits, It decrees, that no one, relying on his own skill, shall,--in matters of faith, and of morals pertaining to the edification of Christian doctrine, --wresting the sacred Scripture to his own senses, presume to interpret the said sacred Scripture contrary to that sense which holy mother Church,--whose it is to judge of the true sense and interpretation of the holy Scriptures,--hath held and doth hold; or even contrary to the unanimous consent of the Fathers; even though such interpretations were never (intended) to be at any time published. Contraveners shall be made known by their Ordinaries, and be punished with the penalties by law established."

Source

Now in seminary, I took Greek, wand passed with a 94 average.

Now this also means that I can look at the Greek MSS, and given a little time, translate them for myself.

Now if I was a Catholic, this would automatically get me excommunicated.

Now, bearing that in mind, try this experiment at your church, in your Sunday school. Whisper something in a persons ear, and tell them to do the same to the person beside them. And so on and so on until it comes back around. Tell the last person to say out loud what was told them. Tell the first person to say out loud what was told them.

It is easy, even under the best intentions and with proper guidance to get something astray.

Now, lets most to what is called "PATRISTIC QUOTATIONS". (Quotes from the ECF's)

"The third source of textual evidence is furnished by quotations from the Greek Testament by other writers, especially the Church Fathers. This class of evidence is styled "the Evidence of Patristic Quotation." It has a certain value, but the value is limited or qualified by numerous considerations. While it is probable that nearly the whole substance of New Testament teaching could be recovered from the Patristic writings, the same cannot be said of the text. The text of many of the Fathers is itself in an imperfect state. "It is a shame," says Dr. Nestle, "that the most important Fathers are not yet before us in proper editions." Dr. Sanday says: "The field of the patristic writings needs to be thoroughly overhauled. What makes this the more urgent is that where the text has not been critically tested, the quotations from the Bible are the first to suffer. The scribes were constantly in the habit of substituting the text with which they were themselves familiar for that which they found before them in the manuscript. So that what we have very frequently is, not the words of the Father as they were originally written, but simply the late Byzantine or Vulgate text current in the Middle Ages when the manuscript was copied."

The habits of the Fathers in quotation were very loose. Having no concordances or indices, or anything resembling the modern apparatus for facilitating reference, and often no manuscript, they were frequently compelled to rely upon memory for their citations. Quoting from memory explains what we so often find, — combinations of different passages, transpositions, and sense-renderings. Though a full summary of the whole gospel life could be composed from the quotations of Justin Martyr, his quotations are careless. He quotes the same passage differently on different occasions. Although he cites written documents, he often quotes from memory, and interweaves words which are given separately by the Synoptists. He condenses, combines, and transposes the language of the Lord as recorded in the Gospel records. Take, for example. Matt. 5:22, 39, 40, 41, and Luke 6:29. In Justin, 1 Apol. XVI, we read τῷ τυπτόντι σοῦ τὴν σιαγόνα πάρεχε καὶ τὴν ἄλλην, καὶ τὸν αἴροντα σοῦ τὸν χιτῶνα ἢ τὸ ἱμάτον μὴ κωλύσῃς. ̔́Ος δὲ ἂν ὀργισθῇ ἐνοχός ἐστιν εἰς τὸ πῦρ, παντὶ δὲ ἀγγαρεύοντί σε μίλιον ἀκολούθησον. Here we have several verses massed, apparently from two Evangelists. Luke is literally followed in the first nine words. The order of the Gospel is not observed, and the sense is changed in the words about the coat and the cloke.

Similarly Matt. 5:46 ; comp. Luke 6:27. Justin, 1 Apol. XV: εἰ ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἀγαπῶντας ὑμᾶς, τί καινὸν ποιεῖτε; καὶ γὰρ οἱ πόρνοι τοῦτο ποιοῦσιν. Here, instead of "What reward have ye?" Justin has "What new thing do ye do?" For "publicans" he gives "fornicators."

Again, see Clement of Alexandria, Strom. III, 4, 36, where Matt. 5:16 is given τὰ ἀγαθὰ ὑμιν ἔργα λαμψάτω, "Let your good works shine."

It is possible that, in some cases, the writers do not intend to quote, but merely to use the words loosely by way of allusion. But often, even when quotation is intended, the citation is inaccurate. To take a single instance, Clement of Rome was familiar with the Epistle to the Hebrews, and references to it occur frequently in his letter to the Corinthians; but in his citation of Heb. 1:3, 4, in Ch. 36, for δόξης "glory," we have μεγαλωσύνης "majesty"; for κρείττων "better," μείζων "greater"; and παρ ̓ αὐτοὺς "than they" is omitted.

Renderings where the sense is given without strict regard to the text are found frequently in Irenæus, who is usually careful in quotation. He changes the syntax, or uses different words intended as equivalents, as εὐχαρίστησεν for εὐλόγησεν in Luke 2:28; ἀκολουθεῖ μοι for ἔρχεται ὀπίσω μου, in Luke 14:27; πεπλανημένον for ἀπολωλός in Luke 15:4. Similarly Origen, Cont. Cels. 8:43, gives the equivalent of Eph. 2:12 without exact quotation, τοὺς ξένους τῶν διαθηκῶν τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ ἀλλοτρίους τῶν εὐαγγελίων.

It is quite possible that a Father may have shaped a passage to fit his view of a disputed point. Hence, passages which bear upon great doctrinal controversies must be examined to see whether they exhibit traces of intentional alteration in the interest of doctrinal bias. On the whole, there is little of this. The worst that can be charged, in the great majority of cases, is a tendency, where two readings exist, to prefer the one which makes for the writer's view. Some other cases may be set down to ignorance of the principles of textual criticism. Thus Tertullian castigates Marcion for substituting διαμερισμόν "division" for μάχαιραν "a sword," in Luke 12:51. "Marcion," he says, "must needs alter, as if a sword could do anything but divide." But Marcion was right, and Tertullian, quoting from memory, had in mind the parallel passage in Matt. 10:34.

Again, Tertullian stigmatises the Valentinians as adulterators for reading, in John 1:13, οἳ ἐγεννήθησαν, "which were born." The correct reading, he maintains, is ὃς̀ ἐγεννήθη, "where was born," and the reference is to Christ. But the reading of the Valentinians was correct, and Tertullian's reading was absurd, as the context shows.

Similarly, Ambrose charged the Arians with erasing from the text of John 3:6, the words, "because the Spirit is God and is born of God," in order to support their denial of the deity of the Holy Ghost. But Ambrose did not know that these words were a gloss which had been incorporated into the western text, and that therefore the Arians were right in omitting it."

A History of Textual Criticism of the New Testament, Marvin Vincent, BALDWIN PROFESSOR OF NEW TESTAMENT EXEGESIS AND LITERATURE IN UNION THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, NEW YORK, 1899, Chapter IV, Patristic Quotations

And as I have been told many times by some "hard-core" Catholics, that John 16:13, was meant only for the Apostles, if they under the influence and guidance of the Holy Spirit couldn't even quote it correctly, why is my translation incorrect?

Now I have shown that sometimes, they were wrong. And if they passed that down to somebody else and its wrong, in probability for it being passed down from one to another incorrectly grows each times it is passed on.

Oh well. :sigh:

What do I know, I'm the official CF idiot anyway.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The Catholic Church has no problem with scholarship, or you sharing your scholarship. Thank you for being a part of the forum.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Catholic Church has no problem with scholarship, or you sharing your scholarship. Thank you for being a part of the forum.

Your welcome.

But here again, my seminary and Greek still places me at odds with the rulings of the Council of Trent, and certain Catholic doctrines.

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom

The 4th Session of the Council of Trent said:

"Furthermore, in order to restrain petulant spirits, It decrees, that no one, relying on his own skill, shall,--in matters of faith, and of morals pertaining to the edification of Christian doctrine, --wresting the sacred Scripture to his own senses, presume to interpret the said sacred Scripture contrary to that sense which holy mother Church,--whose it is to judge of the true sense and interpretation of the holy Scriptures,--hath held and doth hold; or even contrary to the unanimous consent of the Fathers; even though such interpretations were never (intended) to be at any time published. Contraveners shall be made known by their Ordinaries, and be punished with the penalties by law established."

Source

Now in seminary, I took Greek, wand passed with a 94 average.

Now this also means that I can look at the Greek MSS, and given a little time, translate them for myself.

Now if I was a Catholic, this would automatically get me excommunicated.

Now, bearing that in mind, try this experiment at your church, in your Sunday school. Whisper something in a persons ear, and tell them to do the same to the person beside them. And so on and so on until it comes back around. Tell the last person to say out loud what was told them. Tell the first person to say out loud what was told them.

It is easy, even under the best intentions and with proper guidance to get something astray.

Now, lets most to what is called "PATRISTIC QUOTATIONS". (Quotes from the ECF's)

"The third source of textual evidence is furnished by quotations from the Greek Testament by other writers, especially the Church Fathers. This class of evidence is styled "the Evidence of Patristic Quotation." It has a certain value, but the value is limited or qualified by numerous considerations. While it is probable that nearly the whole substance of New Testament teaching could be recovered from the Patristic writings, the same cannot be said of the text. The text of many of the Fathers is itself in an imperfect state. "It is a shame," says Dr. Nestle, "that the most important Fathers are not yet before us in proper editions." Dr. Sanday says: "The field of the patristic writings needs to be thoroughly overhauled. What makes this the more urgent is that where the text has not been critically tested, the quotations from the Bible are the first to suffer. The scribes were constantly in the habit of substituting the text with which they were themselves familiar for that which they found before them in the manuscript. So that what we have very frequently is, not the words of the Father as they were originally written, but simply the late Byzantine or Vulgate text current in the Middle Ages when the manuscript was copied."

The habits of the Fathers in quotation were very loose. Having no concordances or indices, or anything resembling the modern apparatus for facilitating reference, and often no manuscript, they were frequently compelled to rely upon memory for their citations. Quoting from memory explains what we so often find, — combinations of different passages, transpositions, and sense-renderings. Though a full summary of the whole gospel life could be composed from the quotations of Justin Martyr, his quotations are careless. He quotes the same passage differently on different occasions. Although he cites written documents, he often quotes from memory, and interweaves words which are given separately by the Synoptists. He condenses, combines, and transposes the language of the Lord as recorded in the Gospel records. Take, for example. Matt. 5:22, 39, 40, 41, and Luke 6:29. In Justin, 1 Apol. XVI, we read τῷ τυπτόντι σοῦ τὴν σιαγόνα πάρεχε καὶ τὴν ἄλλην, καὶ τὸν αἴροντα σοῦ τὸν χιτῶνα ἢ τὸ ἱμάτον μὴ κωλύσῃς. ̔́Ος δὲ ἂν ὀργισθῇ ἐνοχός ἐστιν εἰς τὸ πῦρ, παντὶ δὲ ἀγγαρεύοντί σε μίλιον ἀκολούθησον. Here we have several verses massed, apparently from two Evangelists. Luke is literally followed in the first nine words. The order of the Gospel is not observed, and the sense is changed in the words about the coat and the cloke.

Similarly Matt. 5:46 ; comp. Luke 6:27. Justin, 1 Apol. XV: εἰ ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἀγαπῶντας ὑμᾶς, τί καινὸν ποιεῖτε; καὶ γὰρ οἱ πόρνοι τοῦτο ποιοῦσιν. Here, instead of "What reward have ye?" Justin has "What new thing do ye do?" For "publicans" he gives "fornicators."

Again, see Clement of Alexandria, Strom. III, 4, 36, where Matt. 5:16 is given τὰ ἀγαθὰ ὑμιν ἔργα λαμψάτω, "Let your good works shine."

It is possible that, in some cases, the writers do not intend to quote, but merely to use the words loosely by way of allusion. But often, even when quotation is intended, the citation is inaccurate. To take a single instance, Clement of Rome was familiar with the Epistle to the Hebrews, and references to it occur frequently in his letter to the Corinthians; but in his citation of Heb. 1:3, 4, in Ch. 36, for δόξης "glory," we have μεγαλωσύνης "majesty"; for κρείττων "better," μείζων "greater"; and παρ ̓ αὐτοὺς "than they" is omitted.

Renderings where the sense is given without strict regard to the text are found frequently in Irenæus, who is usually careful in quotation. He changes the syntax, or uses different words intended as equivalents, as εὐχαρίστησεν for εὐλόγησεν in Luke 2:28; ἀκολουθεῖ μοι for ἔρχεται ὀπίσω μου, in Luke 14:27; πεπλανημένον for ἀπολωλός in Luke 15:4. Similarly Origen, Cont. Cels. 8:43, gives the equivalent of Eph. 2:12 without exact quotation, τοὺς ξένους τῶν διαθηκῶν τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ ἀλλοτρίους τῶν εὐαγγελίων.

It is quite possible that a Father may have shaped a passage to fit his view of a disputed point. Hence, passages which bear upon great doctrinal controversies must be examined to see whether they exhibit traces of intentional alteration in the interest of doctrinal bias. On the whole, there is little of this. The worst that can be charged, in the great majority of cases, is a tendency, where two readings exist, to prefer the one which makes for the writer's view. Some other cases may be set down to ignorance of the principles of textual criticism. Thus Tertullian castigates Marcion for substituting διαμερισμόν "division" for μάχαιραν "a sword," in Luke 12:51. "Marcion," he says, "must needs alter, as if a sword could do anything but divide." But Marcion was right, and Tertullian, quoting from memory, had in mind the parallel passage in Matt. 10:34.

Again, Tertullian stigmatises the Valentinians as adulterators for reading, in John 1:13, οἳ ἐγεννήθησαν, "which were born." The correct reading, he maintains, is ὃς̀ ἐγεννήθη, "where was born," and the reference is to Christ. But the reading of the Valentinians was correct, and Tertullian's reading was absurd, as the context shows.

Similarly, Ambrose charged the Arians with erasing from the text of John 3:6, the words, "because the Spirit is God and is born of God," in order to support their denial of the deity of the Holy Ghost. But Ambrose did not know that these words were a gloss which had been incorporated into the western text, and that therefore the Arians were right in omitting it."

A History of Textual Criticism of the New Testament, Marvin Vincent, BALDWIN PROFESSOR OF NEW TESTAMENT EXEGESIS AND LITERATURE IN UNION THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, NEW YORK, 1899, Chapter IV, Patristic Quotations

And as I have been told many times by some "hard-core" Catholics, that John 16:13, was meant only for the Apostles, if they under the influence and guidance of the Holy Spirit couldn't even quote it correctly, why is my translation incorrect?

Now I have shown that sometimes, they were wrong. And if they passed that down to somebody else and its wrong, in probability for it being passed down from one to another incorrectly grows each times it is passed on.

Oh well. :sigh:

What do I know, I'm the official CF idiot anyway.

God Bless

Till all are one.

And I thought I was the official CF idiot. Can there be more than one of us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I can not accept that.

Anyone who believe that is full of pride and ego and actually has no reason to say anything at all.

"We are all sinners. Some are saved sinners and some are lost sinners but sinners ALL".

Sometimes one person is correct in their understanding and sometimes they are incorrect.
The reality as I see it is that when someone is shown that they are BIBLICALLY incorrect, their response is usually one off anger for being told that they are in error.

The thought seems to be to Forget that we are not understanding the Bible correctly, lets kill the messenger and then we will be correct in our understanding.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your welcome.

But here again, my seminary and Greek still places me at odds with the rulings of the Council of Trent, and certain Catholic doctrines.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Me too!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The actual reality is that the Bible is easily understood such that ordinary people such as yourself could read it and understand it without resorting to "interpretation". It only happens that, when a particular Church decides to insert doctrines which either never appear in the Bible or, at worst, contradict the Bible, that folks jump through some really amazing interpretive hoops.

Agreed.

Deuteronomy 4:2.........
"You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you. "

Taking away is not the problem. ADDING to the Bible has always been where the problem comes.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,698.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I can not accept that.

Anyone who believe that is full of pride and ego and actually has no reason to say anything at all.

"We are all sinners. Some are saved sinners and some are lost sinners but sinners ALL".

Sometimes one person is correct in their understanding and sometimes they are incorrect.
The reality as I see it is that when someone is shown that they are BIBLICALLY incorrect, their response is usually one off anger for being told that they are in error.

The thought seems to be to Forget that we are not understanding the Bible correctly, lets kill the messenger and then we will be correct in our understanding.

What Catholics seem to ignore is that non-Catholics such as ourselves have a high view of the Bible as being inerrant. They must, perforce of holding a high view of their Magisterium which has contradicted the Bible and set its teachings above the Bible, thus demean the Bible. To avoid the appearance of disdaining the word of God, they invent the strawman argument that we consider ourselves infallible.

It is a pity to me that they lack such integrity as to admit that they actually have little regard for the Bible and, instead, have a firm and unwavering faith in the pronouncements of their Magisterium.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I say this to you with all due respect.

It makes no difference what one says or believes. The one who is always correct and is never confused is the Word of God.

May I say to you my friend, that when two people have a disagreement, we must always allow the Bible to be true and it is us who must change their thinking in order to correspond to the Bible.

If you have always been told and taught by your church that you can go to heaven by believing in Christ, OR you can paint your neighbors house every year, OR you can take your mother to the food store every week, then when you are told by some one that YOU are wrong according to the Bible, heaven is only obtained by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.............WHAT DO YOU DO??????????

Do you get angry with the one who told you the truth of God's Word or do you read and study and pray about what was said to you and then IF the Bible then in fact tells YOU THAT THE ONLY way to heaven is by faith in Christ.........do you then change your understanding or stick with the error of what you were told??????

Men are sinners!!! Protestant believers are sinners! Catholic believers are sinners!

The Holy Spirit is God and He is always right! It is you and me who must seek to grow and learn and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth according to the written Word Of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can not accept that.

Um, yeah...I have yet to ever meet a protestant who believes they are infallible. Kind of an odd claim really.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What Catholics seem to ignore is that non-Catholics such as ourselves have a high view of the Bible as being inerrant. They must, perforce of holding a high view of their Magisterium which has contradicted the Bible and set its teachings above the Bible, thus demean the Bible. To avoid the appearance of disdaining the word of God, they invent the strawman argument that we consider ourselves infallible.

It is a pity to me that they lack such integrity as to admit that they actually have little regard for the Bible and, instead, have a firm and unwavering faith in the pronouncements of their Magisterium.

You are correct my friend and I agree completely with you. We see that played out right here in front of us every day.

It is the same old story as the Prophets of old. Kill the messenger and we can still be correct in our ignorance and sin.

You and I read in the Bible that God said .........."Do not bow down to any graven image".

As soon as you say that to a Catholic believer "YOU" are then the problem for telling them what God said. You see, in their mind and thinking, we are the problem but all we are messengers. They can not see God, or insult God or be rude and abusive to Him, but they can to YOU.

And there it is........."Kill the messenger and then we can keep on doing the sin that we like to do".

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Um, yeah...I have yet to ever meet a protestant who believes they are infallible. Kind of an odd claim really.

Agreed!

I for one and I suspect that you as well feel the same as did Paul. "As for me, I am the chief of ALL sinners".

For a person to think that he is infallible is in fact a sin in itself. PRIDE!

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It makes no difference what one says or believes. The one who is always correct and is never confused is the Word of God.
God is ALWAYS correct

it is us who must change their thinking in order to correspond to the Bible.
I have seen over the past few weeks you being proved wrong about your view of what scripture teaches, yet you refuse to change your view. I suspect because you think your view is correct.

If you have always been told and taught by your church that you can go to heaven by believing in Christ, OR you can paint your neighbors house every year, OR you can take your mother to the food store every week, then when you are told by some one that YOU are wrong according to the Bible, heaven is only obtained by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.............WHAT DO YOU DO??????????.
Following your example, I would talk down to the person, show them how I think their view is wrong, insist my view is correct, and say it with all due respect^_^

Do you get angry with the one who told you the truth of God's Word or do you read and study and pray about what was said to you and then IF the Bible then in fact tells YOU THAT THE ONLY way to heaven is by faith in Christ.........do you then change your understanding or stick with the error of what you were told?????.
No, I shake my head in disbelief on how hypocritical some people can be with no self awareness on how they are behaving.

Awesome commentary, your advice is that if two protestants disagree on what the bible teaches, your solution is follow the bible. Circular reasoning at its best.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.