• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Doctrinal Origin from Pope Gregory I

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Swordman007, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Original Happy Camper

Original Happy Camper One of GODS Children I am a historicist Supporter

+1,247
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    can you give me a link to support "Just the other day he took out Matthew and replaced it with the didache."

Thanks

2. Swag365

Swag365 Well-Known Member

+370
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    You don't have to be God to know how this thread is going to end.

3. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+1,074
    Catholic
    Married
    Other than that it seriously misrepresents what the doctrine of purgatory is, and relies on your own thinking (which is called into question by your misrepresentation of what the Church teaches about purgatory), I find that to be a compelling response.

4. Original Happy Camper

Original Happy Camper One of GODS Children I am a historicist Supporter

+1,247
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Okay you are not GOD but you are representing yourself as a prophet now.

5. Swordman007

Swordman007 Truth Seeker

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    That's why I created this thread...to explore the definition of that belief and to see if it withstands the test of scripture. Some of the other roman catholics in this thread have called it "purging."

So, what's YOUR definition?

6. Valletta

Valletta Active Member

+154
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    The Catholic Church does not state that purgatory is a place. We know the nothing unclean can enter Heaven, the purification before Heaven is purgatory. That's it--you either believe the Bible or you don't.

7. Swag365

+370
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Thank you for the compliment.

8. Swordman007

Swordman007 Truth Seeker

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    [1 John 1:9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So, we see here that we're cleansed from ALL unrighteousness in Christ Jesus when He was made sin for us.

I have seen some refer to "venial" sins. Are those sins unrighteous, or are they righteous? Is there such a thing as "righteous sin" as long as it doesn't fall into the category of "unrighteous"?

9. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+1,074
    Catholic
    Married
    Then why haven't you bothered to study the only definition that matters? You know, the one given by the Catholic Church? I gave you the link already.

10. Swordman007

Swordman007 Truth Seeker

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Ok, so where does the Bible name "purgatory"? Mine doesn't have that name in any language.

11. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ citizen of the Kingdom Supporter

+11,238
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    How can sin and righteousness be in the same sentence except it be self righteousness? :confused:

12. Swordman007

Swordman007 Truth Seeker

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Understood, but when I try to mesh it with the Bible, I don't see it in there.

13. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+1,325
    Catholic
    Single

You have to also remember God is also a righteous judge. He has to be just. What about those who where born and raised in a different geographical location in where they would never learn or know Christ? Should they just go to hell? Obviously, they can't just shoot up to heaven either.. so what is the right judgement here?

What about other people who may have hurt someone severely such as abusing someone that he/she commits suicide, should that just be "swept under the rug"? Imagine if a country had a leader who granted his followers a safe pass (or reward them to a life of paradise) to do any crime towards others. Is this leader just/righteous?

14. Swag365

+370
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Read it again. Perhaps the Lord will show you.

15. Swordman007

Swordman007 Truth Seeker

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    All I can offer to you is what is written along this line:

[Romans 1:18-23] 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

My understanding doesn't go beyond what's written and what Holy Spirit reveals, as is stated in 1 John 2:27.

I'm not sure what these questions are driving at in relation to what I actually said.

16. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+1,074
    Catholic
    Married
    I might find that reasonable if you displayed any understanding of what purgatory is, and didn't ignore the ample evidence that the teaching existed long before the 6th Century.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:54 PM
  17. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,758
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I will respond there but responding here isn't my cup of tea. I just get really tired of the polemics.

18. lsume

lsume Well-Known Member Supporter

+485
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    As I’m sure you know, a great deal written in The Bible is hidden until someone seeks Christ. You are of course correct in your observation of why the king might have wanted his own church. People are reading the Bible the same way today reading without seeing. All we can do is pray.

19. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,195
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Pope Gregory did not teach purgatory. Gregory taught only one eternal hell fire while the doctrine of purgatory taught a temporal fire and the eternal hell fire.
    Gregory said that if anyone believes some sins can be forgiven in the next life make sure they only believe they are small trivial sins that have small bearing. He makes clear in Chapter 39 bk4 of his dialogues no purgatory. So much so that in the 14th century Pope Gregory's writings were brought up by the Orthodox Greeks against their Latin counterparts at Florence when debating the validity of purgatory. .

20. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+1,325
    Catholic
    Single
    You protestants need to take the Bible as a whole, you can't just cherry pick verses. There are also verses that speak of a person needing to pay their sins and being judged by their deeds, we don't just put them on a lower significance.

The question is supposed to show the need of being just and righteous. Yes, Christ saved us but he is still the Righteous Judge and it would not be right to just let any sin done to someone get swept under the rug. Just answer the question by yourself plain and simple, how can a leader be considered good based on those actions given?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 4:03 PM