Jan 30, 2005
virginia
✟213,711.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Aymn27 said:
Nobody is wishing anything other than to live...with the freedom to practice one's religion as they wish.

I am sure that the good people of the dioceses of New Hampshire and New Westminister agree with you completely. The freedom to practice one's faith without the intervention of others, violent or not, is indeed important. Thank you for pointing that out. Now, if we could just convey that thought to the Archbishop of Nigeria.:doh:

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
john23237 said:
I am sure that the good people of the dioceses of New Hampshire and New Westminister agree with you completely. The freedom to practice one's faith without the intervention of others, violent or not, is indeed important. Thank you for pointing that out. Now, if we could just convey that thought to the Archbishop of Nigeria.:doh:
Oh, freedom to practice as you wish you will have! Just no longer under the auspices of the Anglican Communion...

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
john23237 said:

Do you really not see a difference between violence and death and Church Polemics and genuine doctrinal disputes? I do not believe that Akinola recruited those churches that left, I am sure they would have done so anyway. Akinola is providing pastoral oversight to a group that already went through a difficult decision process and found they could no longer stay within an organization they felt, for whatever reason, was no longer an expression of Orthodox Christianity.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
jtbdad said:
Do you really not see a difference between violence and death and Church Polemics and genuine doctrinal disputes? I do not believe that Akinola recruited those churches that left, I am sure they would have done so anyway. Akinola is providing pastoral oversight to a group that already went through a difficult decision process and found they could no longer stay within an organization they felt, for whatever reason, was no longer an expression of Orthodox Christianity.

And in fact you speak the truth here. Which in no way justifies his actions as primate of another province. It's funny how Tradition is the hole card of the conservatives when it supports their perspective, yet easily discarded when it doesn't. Any Orthodox bishop who did as Akinola did would have been censured if not deposed for his effrontery.

But, sir, you furnish a very important question here: perhaps each side may find it a matter of grace to recognize that the other is speaking out of a genuine doctrinal concern, from a moral principle? I find it purely annoying to read posts that dismiss firmly held moral principles as, on the one hand, homophobic hatemongering, and on the other, "watering down the Gospel" or "adopting political correctness in place of moral uprightness." If everyone who feels strongly about this issue would take the time to discern prayerfully the moral principles on which his/her opponents are standing, we might actually find our way clear to resolve the dispute.

Upvote 0

john23237

Jan 30, 2005
virginia
✟213,711.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
jtbdad said:
Do you really not see a difference between violence and death and Church Polemics and genuine doctrinal disputes?

Only as a question of degree. Whether it is Muslims attempting to force their beliefs upon Nigerian Christians or the Archbishop of Nigeria demanding that the ECUSA submit to his understanding of Scripture, it is all an attempt to force the views of one group upon another group. As to the issue of violence and death, do you seriously believe that the inflamatory remarks of the Archbishop have not contributed to violence against gays in Nigeria? Get real. This man has blood on his hands. He may not have called for violence against gay Christians, but he most certainly feed the fires of hate and knew fully where that would led. Scripture says what one sows, one reaps. It is also written that he who lives by the sword dies by it. Perhaps it is the conservatives who need to review Scripture. One can pretend that hate directed toward a group is really just "correction" to "save" them from themselves, or the hate is really directed toward the "sin", not the "sinner" all one wishes, but Our Lord said one would know them by the fruits they bear, and when the "fruits" are gay men in Nigeria with their heads bashed in, the "fruits" are clear enough. To be blunt about it, evil is evil and the fact that evil in Nigeria calls itself Christian makes little difference to one more murdered gay. Would they have been any less dead if the murder had been at the hands of Muslims? I repeat, get real.:mad:

Upvote 0

john23237

Jan 30, 2005
virginia
✟213,711.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Polycarp1 said:
But, sir, you furnish a very important question here: perhaps each side may find it a matter of grace to recognize that the other is speaking out of a genuine doctrinal concern, from a moral principle?

I agree with you completely and the moment "genuine doctrinal concern" and "moral principle" no longer result in injury and death to gays in Central Africa and else where, I will be more than glad to consider it a matter of grace. For now, however, I will gauge it by Our Lord's yardstick of it's "fruits" and it looks a lot more like genuine evil to some of us.

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only as a question of degree. Whether it is Muslims attempting to force their beliefs upon Nigerian Christians or the Archbishop of Nigeria demanding that the ECUSA submit to his understanding of Scripture, it is all an attempt to force the views of one group upon another group
If the ECUSA wants to remain in the AC, then it must adhere to the historical and correct view of Scripture and the Church's understanding of it. As I remember, Akinola did not come to the US seeking out parishes - those parishes fled from the "inclusiveness" being forced upon them for higher ground. ECUSA is wrong according to Anglicanism, catholicism, orthodoxy and the entire history of the Church.

As to the issue of violence and death, do you seriously believe that the inflamatory remarks of the Archbishop have not contributed to violence against gays in Nigeria?
Please provide support for this statement or don't make these ridiculous statements.

Get real. This man has blood on his hands. He may not have called for violence against gay Christians, but he most certainly feed the fires of hate and knew fully where that would led.
Again..back it up.

Scripture says what one sows, one reaps
Brings to mind a bishop in rehab if you ask me..not to mention dioceses loosing churches faster than they're loosing the money out of their trusts. Indeed the reaping continues.

Perhaps it is the conservatives who need to review Scripture. One can pretend that hate directed toward a group is really just "correction" to "save" them from themselves, or the hate is really directed toward the "sin", not the "sinner" all one wishes, but Our Lord said one would know them by the fruits they bear, and when the "fruits" are gay men in Nigeria with their heads bashed in, the "fruits" are clear enough.
References? Also, appealing to emotion...not going to work..

To be blunt about it, evil is evil and the fact that evil in Nigeria calls itself Christian makes little difference to one more murdered gay.
How inclusive, how kind and understanding. where oh where is that inclusive gospel? Maybe we should "listen" and "dialogue" and see what the spirit is doing..

Upvote 0

john23237

Jan 30, 2005
virginia
✟213,711.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
If one honestly believes that the hateful, inflamatory remarks of the churches in Cental Africa have nothing whatsoever to do with creating a social mindset that feeds the violence against gays there, there is no room for rational discussion. The word that comes to mind is hopeless. After the Secord World War, there were party members in Germany who said that they personally took no part in certain actions. They never once lifted a finger against a Jew and, no doubt, in many cases that was true. They personally did nothing. They DID, however, help support the organization that did the dirty work for them .

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
This is an official moderator post.

This thread derives from a thread in STR discussing violence and Christian responses to violence. Several posts in that thread have moved on to discussing doctrinal differences over homosexuality and the effects of those difference on violence against homosexuals.

In compliance with Christian Forums Rules, those posts have been split out into thisthread in Christian Ethics, where they can be discussed openly with appropriate supporting references.

Regards,
Pamela

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Polycarp1 said:
And in fact you speak the truth here. Which in no way justifies his actions as primate of another province.

It wasn't my intention to justify his actions but I would ask what should these churches do? They need Episcopal oversight and they feel that ECUSA has irreparably strayed from Orthodox Christianity.

It's funny how Tradition is the hole card of the conservatives when it supports their perspective, yet easily discarded when it doesn't. Any Orthodox bishop who did as Akinola did would have been censured if not deposed for his effrontery.

Not true at all, in my city alone there are Canonical Greek, Russian, and Antiochian bishops represented. I admit that the U.S. is unique in this but they are also pretty unique (within the Anglican Communion) in the fact that many of her churches no longer consider her Orthodox.

But, sir, you furnish a very important question here: perhaps each side may find it a matter of grace to recognize that the other is speaking out of a genuine doctrinal concern, from a moral principle? I find it purely annoying to read posts that dismiss firmly held moral principles as, on the one hand, homophobic hatemongering, and on the other, "watering down the Gospel" or "adopting political correctness in place of moral uprightness."

Here you and I agree. While I may believe that those on the more liberal side of the fence than I are wrong; I am more than willing to admit that many have gone through long periods of prayer, study and thought to come to the conclusions that they have. I certainly do not consider them insincere. I assure you that I have gone through those same long periods of thought, prayer, and study to reach the conclusions that I have reached. I appreciate your acknowledgement that my concerns are truly doctrinal and moral. And I happily apply the same acknowledgement to those who disagree with me.

If everyone who feels strongly about this issue would take the time to discern prayerfully the moral principles on which his/her opponents are standing, we might actually find our way clear to resolve the dispute.

While this may be true I believe that the best that can be hoped for is amicable separation. I know many conservatives who simply will not accept what they see as the ECUSA's new definitions of sin and morality(which they view as immutable). I know just as many liberals who believe that morality and doctrine must evolve and does in fact change. I do not see how these two opposing views can peacefully coexist within the same body.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
john23237 said:
If one honestly believes that the hateful, inflamatory remarks of the churches in Cental Africa have nothing whatsoever to do with creating a social mindset that feeds the violence against gays there, there is no room for rational discussion. The word that comes to mind is hopeless. After the Secord World War, there were party members in Germany who said that they personally took no part in certain actions. They never once lifted a finger against a Jew and, no doubt, in many cases that was true. They personally did nothing. They DID, however, help support the organization that did the dirty work for them .

Funny how what you consider hateful and inflammatory, others consider speaking out against sin. I would appreciate your posting these hateful and inflammatory remarks please. I have researched much of what Akinola has written and said and I only find his condemnation of homosexuality as sinful. Is it your contention that Bishops should not speak out against sin because it may lead to violence by some? In that case Jesus should not have spoken out against sin such as hypocrisy and legalism. Because after all it could have led to the death of hypocrites and legalists. Of course it is absurd to assert that Jesus shouldn't have done anything that he did. Just as it is absurd to assert that speaking out against sin is not something a Bishop should do.
Appealing to Nazism is not a logical appeal here but it is an emotional one.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, sir, I think we may have some working ground for discussion. Certainly if you were a greeter at your parish church some fine Sunday morning, you would not bar the door to the single man from down the street that Mrs. Rumormonger informs you that everyone says is gay. I'm sure you'd welcome him, discern the truth, and perhaps speak to him in friendship and compassion if you found him to in fact be actively gay.

As I'm hearing your stance, it's opposition to making someone openly and actively involved in a gay relationship into a bishop of the church, and the blessing of such relationships by the church, that have become the "ne plus ultra" line on which we seem divided.

I'd submit to you that there are clear Scriptures defining persons who are condemned, for a variety of reasons, and that we're called to (1) accept such people into the church as sinners like ourselves, (2) call them to repentance as led by the Holy Spirit, and (3) after much prayer and discernment, and in accordance with Biblical practice, expel them if and when they remain "notorious and open sinners."

Now, the question at hand is exactly whom those people are. And I offer up to you the stance, which is hardly in accord with small-t tradition but which has much scholarship behind it and, more importantly, the direct command of Jesus to avoid sitting in judgment over others as the Pharisees did but instead to treat others with radical love as He did -- and that stance is that that which the Scripture condemns is not what the typical gay Christian engages in.

God does not condemn sex; He created it and called it good, and His first commandment to mankind was to engage in it. He commands the abuse of sex for a variety of reasons.including lust, idolatry, prostitution, etc.

We take the stance that our job is to welcome and affirm those whom God has called to follow Him, and to love them even as ourselves or as Christ would. If we are to expel an arsenokaitis, then it is wise to discern what one of them is -- and it's clear that what Paul was talking about is not a person in a committed monogamous relationship, gay or not. It's quite likely that it was intended to mean one who patronized enslaved boy prostitutes (a major industry in the seamy side of Corinth's economy) , when taken in context, and that Paul coined the word (he is the first person ever to use it in Greek, and nearly every use of it thereafter is a quote of or allusion to his writings) to parallel the phrasing of Leviticus 18, which in literal Hebrew speaks of "lying with men" as a Canaanite idolatrous practice.

Further, while I am aware of the overlapping American Orthodox jurisdictions, if you ask any Orthodox CF member they will tell you that it is an embarrassment and one that the exarchates and such are working to overcome.

We Anglicans are tempted to set ourselves up as the judges of orthodoxy, and to judge our bishops. That is precisely the reverse of the historical role, where the bishops collectively are the judges of orthodoxy and the people ratify and affirm their collective teaching.

I will apologize for reporting secondhand information about Akinola, to this extent: I offered it as data not generally known about his character, to aid in gauging the sincerity of his actions. I personally see him as fomenting discord in the name of doctrinal purity, with a hidden agenda of his own aggrandizement.

It's my end to honor Christ's call to love all people as He loved us, to the extent of my ability, and to be led and guided by my bishop and priests. I regret that that has placed us at odds, but like you I feel that I must stand for what my Lord expects of me and what my Church teaches as the proper moral behavior.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Polycarp1 said:
Well, sir, I think we may have some working ground for discussion. Certainly if you were a greeter at your parish church some fine Sunday morning, you would not bar the door to the single man from down the street that Mrs. Rumormonger informs you that everyone says is gay. I'm sure you'd welcome him, discern the truth, and perhaps speak to him in friendship and compassion if you found him to in fact be actively gay.

Polycarp I was not sure whether this post was directed to me or elsewhere but since you and I can and have had constructive and peaceful communication in the past I welcome this opportunity.

You are absolutely correct in your assumption that I would not bar entry to Church to, well almost anyone. I think the only persons I may bar are those who have a history of disrupting the liturgy. (which unfortunately I have witnessed) Additionally I would never take such a step without the approval of the pastor.

As I'm hearing your stance, it's opposition to making someone openly and actively involved in a gay relationship into a bishop of the church, and the blessing of such relationships by the church, that have become the "ne plus ultra" line on which we seem divided.

This is why I am not sure you are addressing me. I have made no comments as to the Rev. Gene Robinson. But since this issue has come up, and because I can address it here, I will. To begin with, just the fact that Gene Robinson is divorced excludes him canonically from the Episcopate. Additionally; I see his placement (I mean no insult however I cannot refer to him as consecrated) as the ECUSA's final statement concerning homosexuality and that statement being that it is not a sin. This, as you probably could already guess, I consider a matter that scripture speaks clearly on. And of course I believe that that clear message is that homosexual acts are sinful.

I'd submit to you that there are clear Scriptures defining persons who are condemned, for a variety of reasons, and that we're called to (1) accept such people into the church as sinners like ourselves, (2) call them to repentance as led by the Holy Spirit, and (3) after much prayer and discernment, and in accordance with Biblical practice, expel them if and when they remain "notorious and open sinners."

I agree with this completely.

Now, the question at hand is exactly whom those people are.

Of course this is the crux of the matter.

And I offer up to you the stance, which is hardly in accord with small-t tradition

Or Large T.

but which has much scholarship behind it

Is it your contention that there is not much scholarship behind the opposing stance? You seem to be an educated person, you must know of course that the majority of Christian Theologians who have written on the matter take the opposing stance.

and, more importantly, the direct command of Jesus to avoid sitting in judgment over others as the Pharisees did but instead to treat others with radical love as He did

This is not a logical argument. Jesus, as I am sure you are aware, made no statement on the subject of homosexuality. Jesus treated the woman taken in adultery with radical love, yet he told her to "sin no more." I could just as easily argue that he would have taken the same stance if a man who had been caught involved in sodomy were brought before him. That he would have reacted the same, and told him to sin no more.

- and that stance is that that which the Scripture condemns is not what the typical gay Christian engages in.

God does not condemn sex;

No he does not but he certainly restricts it. Unmarried, another mans wife, etc.

He created it and called it good, and His first commandment to mankind was to engage in it.

Yet you must admit that this commandment had to be directed to heterosexual sex, else it made no sense.

He commands the abuse of sex for a variety of reasons.including lust, idolatry, prostitution, etc.

As I have already pointed out.

We take the stance that our job is to welcome and affirm those whom God has called to follow Him, and to love them even as ourselves or as Christ would. If we are to expel an arsenokaitis, then it is wise to discern what one of them is

Once again we agree.

-- and it's clear that what Paul was talking about is not a person in a committed monogamous relationship, gay or not. It's quite likely that it was intended to mean one who patronized enslaved boy prostitutes (a major industry in the seamy side of Corinth's economy) , when taken in context, and that Paul coined the word (he is the first person ever to use it in Greek, and nearly every use of it thereafter is a quote of or allusion to his writings) to parallel the phrasing of Leviticus 18, which in literal Hebrew speaks of "lying with men" as a Canaanite idolatrous practice.

And of course this is where we disagree. As I pointed out there is a great deal of scholarly writing that debunks this. The more liberal person however will not accept the debunking just as the more conservative person will not accept the scholarly gymnastics necessary to accept this theory, which as you pointed out belies millenia of tradition and Tradition.

Further, while I am aware of the overlapping American Orthodox jurisdictions, if you ask any Orthodox CF member they will tell you that it is an embarrassment and one that the exarchates and such are working to overcome.

Yet it neutralizes your earlier assertion that it does not occur in Orthodoxy.

We Anglicans are tempted to set ourselves up as the judges of orthodoxy, and to judge our bishops. That is precisely the reverse of the historical role, where the bishops collectively are the judges of orthodoxy and the people ratify and affirm their collective teaching.

Exactly, and yet the ECUSA has defied the majority of Orthodox Bishops.

I will apologize for reporting secondhand information about Akinola, to this extent: I offered it as data not generally known about his character, to aid in gauging the sincerity of his actions. I personally see him as fomenting discord in the name of doctrinal purity, with a hidden agenda of his own aggrandizement.

The problem of course is that we have no knowledge of the individual you 'quoted' (although you did not give a name) who could just as easily have an agenda. There is simply no way for us to verify the reliability of the source.

It's my end to honor Christ's call to love all people as He loved us, to the extent of my ability, and to be led and guided by my bishop and priests. I regret that that has placed us at odds, but like you I feel that I must stand for what my Lord expects of me and what my Church teaches as the proper moral behavior.

I appreciate your desire to follow Christ and I would never question your "Christianity." I am glad that we can have this discourse. Of course I do not see either of us changing our opinion, but as we have both pointed out earlier it is important to know one another. Be assured of my prayers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.