Do you want to die?

Whatthedeuce

Jun 9, 2010
✟7,683.00
Faith
Humanist
I think the question should be "Are you scared of death"
Yes, thank you. That is what the intended meaning behind the question was.

Capuano said:
No, I'm not scared of death, because if the Bible is true and there is a Heaven, I believe I will go to heaven and live in peace. But if The Bible is false which I highly doubt because I am a Christian and I think there is more evidence of there being a God than there not being one, then no, I'm still not afraid because in the non-believers mind there will be no thought or anything, we will be gone. So how can you be scared with no thought? And we all die eventually. Well our bodys do ;)
To answer the question asking how one can be scared with no thought. The answer is one cannot possibly be scared with no thought. Being scared requires the ability to think.

However, the above answer I gave does not address the real issue at hand here. Personally, I am scared of death. I agree with the idea that when I die I will have no thought. In my opinion, my current state of being alive is more desirable than not having any thoughts. Since being alive is more desirable than being dead, I fear death.

Capuano said:
To answer the REAL question that you are looking for... I don't wanna die, if I did I'd be suicidal right? God put us here for a reason. I don't mind if I die that's for sure.
Well, no. Wanting to die is not suicidal. Wanting to kill yourself is suicidal. There is a subtle but very important difference.

Upvote 0

The Penitent Man

the penitent man shall pass
Nov 11, 2009
Clarkson, Ontario
✟16,654.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

To answer the question asking how one can be scared with no thought. The answer is one cannot possibly be scared with no thought. Being scared requires the ability to think.

However, the above answer I gave does not address the real issue at hand here. Personally, I am scared of death. I agree with the idea that when I die I will have no thought. In my opinion, my current state of being alive is more desirable than not having any thoughts. Since being alive is more desirable than being dead, I fear death.

Well, no. Wanting to die is not suicidal. Wanting to kill yourself is suicidal. There is a subtle but very important difference.

Wanting to die is morbid. It's not healthy.

Upvote 0

Whatthedeuce

Jun 9, 2010
✟7,683.00
Faith
Humanist
Not scared of dying at all. I just want to stay long enough to see my grandkids grow and have kids of their own. I like being a grandpa so I think I'll enjoy being a great grandpa. lol
So, then do you believe that the positive feelings you get from being a grandpa are stronger than the positive feelings you would experience in the afterlife?

Upvote 0

Capuano231

May 23, 2010
✟15,227.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Yes, there is a difference but saying " I want to die" leads up to " I want to kill my self". In your mind if you keep saying "I want to die, I want to die" one day your gonna kill yourself.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, then do you believe that the positive feelings you get from being a grandpa are stronger than the positive feelings you would experience in the afterlife?

Nah, different feelings. My positive feelings for my grandchildren do not infringe or relate to my positive feelings for the afterlife. If I was called to die today I would go happily knowing that it is the Lord's will.

Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟18,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians I talk to believe that they are going to go to heaven after they die. There they will live forever in happiness. From my point of view, it seems like Christians should look forward to and desire death above anything else because it is the only way of getting into heaven. However, it appears to me as if most Christians are scared of death and do not want it to come.

What do you all think about this topic?
Would you rather die sooner or later?
Are you scared of dying?

I feel like Paul did:
Phil. 1:20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live

I'm not afraid of dying. But I know there are things I am supposed to do before I die. We are all part of the body of Christ and have a part to play in the ministry of reconciliation:
2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

And, like Paul, when it's time for me to die I want to be able to say:
2 Tim. 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I think too many Christians think being a Christian is only about dying to go to heaven. If it was, as you stated, why not just die asap so you can reach the goal if the goal is death?
But, that is not the goal of the Christian life.
Phil. 1:21 was already quoted - "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain."
Paul lived Christ. He knew he would experience Christ to an even greater degree after death, but he did not rush off to die - he realized that was not God's will.
God's will is for us to live Christ and to share Him with others.
The goal of the Christian life should be to live Christ - now - while we are alive -and to pursue Him and share Him with others.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most Christians I talk to believe that they are going to go to heaven after they die. There they will live forever in happiness. From my point of view, it seems like Christians should look forward to and desire death above anything else because it is the only way of getting into heaven. However, it appears to me as if most Christians are scared of death and do not want it to come.

What do you all think about this topic?
Would you rather die sooner or later?
Are you scared of dying?

In a way I'm scared of dying because I'm not ready to let the people here go, and I'm not ready for the big changes, and I love much here. I hate change anyway and generally fear it in life as well. I just don't know what the other side would be like and have little eagerness to speed along the process. There's much I love here. I'd like to live a long and fruitful life before passing.

Upvote 0

byronlewis

Jun 13, 2010
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not necessarily every Christian after death will go and rest in heaven. Heaven for a christian is only when he leads a life followed by the christianity path. There are end number of christians who live life full of sins. Those following the disciples of christianity faithfully will for sure rest in peace in heaven forever. Hell is for the sin committers. So a true christian should never afraid of death as death is not the end of a life but the starring of a peaceful endless life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the Orthodox Church we say prayers for the deceased and dearly departed. If you're a strong Christian face the possibility of death with courage. Jesus Christ our Savior overcame and conquered death on the cross. In the natural realm (naturalism), death occurs because of the biological clock. It is only God who lives forever ~ but we Christians are united to Jesus Christ in His victory and resurrection.

Upvote 0