Do you trust the validity of the New Testament?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's stood up to innumerable challenges over the centuries. Arguably, the historic events, etc. that it describes are more accurately presented than are many other historic events that we all routinely accept as true. That concerns history, geography, and so on, to be sure, but these are most often the targets of skeptics. And if these which may seem unlikely do prove out, there is reason to accept the other information contained in the NT.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, do you trust the validity of the New Testament, in parts or as a whole? It was written quite some time after Jesus. How do we know it's true?

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
I'm not sure quoting words from the actual book will help me see its validity?

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's stood up to innumerable challenges over the centuries. Arguably, the historic events, etc. that it describes are more accurately presented than are many other historic events that we all routinely accept as true. That concerns history, geography, and so on, to be sure, but these are most often the targets of skeptics. And if these which may seem unlikely do turn prove out, there is reason to accept the other information contained in the NT.
Please could you give some examples of this. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When that was written ONLY the Old Testament was called "Scripture." Only a scant part of the NT had even been written.

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, do you trust the validity of the New Testament, in parts or as a whole? It was written quite some time after Jesus. How do we know it's true?

Not so long a time after Jesus that he and his words and works couldn't have still been well within living memory. Mark's Gospel (the earliest known) is generally thought to have been written about 66-70 AD, or about 35-40 years after Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, but Paul's letters are earlier and he speaks as one who not only had his own profoundly transformative encounter with the risen Christ, but who knew others who had known Jesus in person during his ministry. Luke in particular claims to have written his Gospel from the accounts of those who "from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word" and "after investigating everything carefully from the very first" (Luke 1:2,3).

More than that, though — and I'm sure so many others will say this too — I trust the validity of the New Testament because I have seen, so clearly and so often, the evidence of Christ's healing and transforming power and presence in my own life and in the lives of many others I know. And the more I go on studying and deepening my love of the Bible, the more that keeps on happening. When you've seen these things for yourself, so clearly that you can't argue (and no longer want to!), it's not hard to believe that what these inspired writings tell us is true. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

First, establish an exact meaning for "validity" and show your source(s) from which you've drawn your definition; otherwise, everyone is just shooting at moving targets with blindfolds in the attempt to 'answer' your question.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not so long a time after Jesus that he and his words and works couldn't have still been well within living memory. Mark's Gospel (the earliest known) is generally thought to have been written about 66-70 AD, or about 35-40 years after Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, but Paul's letters are earlier and he speaks as one who not only had his own profoundly transformative encounter with the risen Christ, but who knew others who had known Jesus in person during his ministry. Luke in particular claims to have written his Gospel from the accounts of those who "from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word" and "after investigating everything carefully from the very first" (Luke 1:2,3).

More than that, though — and I'm sure so many others will say this too — I trust the validity of the New Testament because I have seen, so clearly and so often, the evidence of Christ's healing and transforming power and presence in my own life and in the lives of many others I know. And the more I go on studying and deepening my love of the Bible, the more that keeps on happening. When you've seen these things for yourself, so clearly that you can't argue (and no longer want to!), it's not hard to believe that what these inspired writings tell us is true. :)
So Paul's writings, did he actually know Jesus in real life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When that was written ONLY the Old Testament was called "Scripture." Only a scant part of the NT had even been written.

You either believe all scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit or not. So was the NT and so is that. The gospels were already in circulation to some extent by the time the epistles were written so no not only the OT was in existence.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It must agree with the law and the testimony of the scriptures (the Old Testament). It takes time and dedication to read and study and prove all things. But I had read the entire bible several times over but when God's Spirit began working with my mind the words came alive, they looked different, they had depth and meaning. So the best answer I can give is that the Holy Spirit will convince you of its authenticity and will encourage you to prove it's truth over and over.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure quoting words from the actual book will help me see its validity?

Only the Holy Spirit will help you to see it's validity. The word is alive and a two edged sword. Start by doing a serious reading of the NT and pray and ask the Lord to show you.

I am a bit confused how someone can question the validity of the NT, question the gospels and call Jesus Lord all at the same time since the gospels and NT is exactly the one thing we have that tells us about Jesus in whom we claim to believe...

• Agree
Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me, one of the more interesting things regarding dating is the absence of any specific mention of the actual fall of Jerusalem and destruction of the temple in 70AD in any of the gospels or Acts. Even a few of the epistles (e.g. Hebrews) that specifically dealt with sacrifices and the Law would have been expected to give at least a passing mention to the temple destruction being related to the old covenant passing away or some such thing. Given Jesus' prophetic description of the end of the Temple and the relative importance of the church in Jerusalem, the absence of this would be surprising if these were written after those events. This suggests to me that an earlier dating of most NT books (within the life time of most of the original witnesses) is not unreasonable.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Paul's writings, did he actually know Jesus in real life?
Have you read the book of Acts? That book gives a great history of the beginning of the church and the calling of Paul (also known as Saul). I would advise that you pray before reading every time. Ask God to open your mind and give you understanding, short prayer but He will do it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, establish an exact meaning for "validity" and show your source(s) from which you've drawn your definition; otherwise, everyone is just shooting at moving targets with blindfolds in the attempt to 'answer' your question.
I see where your coming from. I would just like to see if there is undesputed proof that Jesus exsisted upon this earth and that the book im going to spend the rest of my life following is definitely from God. In the back of my mind I have doubts about the NT being tampered with by mankind along the way that would weaken the message.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only the Holy Spirit will help you to see it's validity. The word is alive and a two edged sword. Start by doing a serious reading of the NT and pray and ask the Lord to show you.

I am a bit confused how someone can question the validity of the NT, question the gospels and call Jesus Lord all at the same time since the gospels and NT is exactly the one thing we have that tells us about Jesus in whom we claim to believe...
Well I really do believe Jesus is our Lord and I honestly believe the Holy Spirit has touched me. It's the twisting of mans words that bothers me more.

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you read the book of Acts? That book gives a great history of the beginning of the church and the calling of Paul (also known as Saul). I would advise that you pray before reading every time. Ask God to open your mind and give you understanding, short prayer but He will do it!
Yes but I'm reading a book and staking my life on it. I don't see anything wrong in questioning stuff. What if Jesus had not said certain things and it was written as his words? It's a big ask of anyone to believe in a book that was written by men.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but I'm reading a book and staking my life on it. I don't see anything wrong in questioning stuff. What if Jesus had not said certain things and it was written as his words? It's a big ask of anyone to believe in a book that was written by men.
What brought you to Christ? How did you learn about Him, His life death and resurrection? What is in the NT that has caused you to question its validity?

Reactions: Rakis
Upvote 0