Do you think the Epistle of Barnabas is worth of being read?

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think we have a mission to test the spirits.
Perhaps but there is no time in all the world to test all the literature etc etc etc .
If someone is not going to read something, nor listen to it,
there's no call to test it, is there ?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I read it several times and its useful and provide insight into how the first Church worked with the Old Testament.

He also talks about Jewish Sabbath, which is sometimes a popular topic even today.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Der Alte
Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps but there is no time in all the world to test all the literature etc etc etc .
If someone is not going to read something, nor listen to it,
there's no call to test it, is there ?
Barnabas was directed mentioned in Acts.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
biblegateway.com › resources › encyclopedia-of-the-bible › Epistle-Barnabas

Epistle of Barnabas - Encyclopedia of The Bible - Bible Gateway

1. Authorship. It is highly unlikely that this exhortation has any connection with the Barnabas who is recorded in the Book of Acts as a fellow missionary of the Apostle Paul. The date of its origin (cf. infra) is prob. too late.
========================================

From a description in a wikipage : if this is correct then a serious error is indicated >

The main message of the Epistle of Barnabas is that the Jewish scriptures — what would become the Old Testament in Christianity — were actually Christian documents from the beginning.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
biblegateway.com › resources › encyclopedia-of-the-bible › Epistle-Barnabas

Epistle of Barnabas - Encyclopedia of The Bible - Bible Gateway

1. Authorship. It is highly unlikely that this exhortation has any connection with the Barnabas who is recorded in the Book of Acts as a fellow missionary of the Apostle Paul. The date of its origin (cf. infra) is prob. too late.
========================================

From a description in a wikipage : if this is correct then a serious error is indicated >

The main message of the Epistle of Barnabas is that the Jewish scriptures — what would become the Old Testament in Christianity — were actually Christian documents from the beginning.
Good point. I will admit I have not viewed it that way until now, but this truly is an enlightement. Barnabas' emphasis is further strengthened in Peter's statement:
And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Acts 10:28

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In what sense? As Scripture? No. While the Epistle of Barnabas enjoyed limited status as one of the New Testamenet Antilegomena, and therefore was accepted by some as Scripture, it ultimately did not attain the status as Scripture. That's why it's not in our New Testament.

That said, are the non-Canonical works of the Antilegomena still worth reading, not as Scripture, but as good books or works that can provide us insight into early Christian thought? Yes, I think so.

I think the Epistle of Barnabas is valuable, in the same way that the Didache and St. Clement's Epistle are valuable.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Barnabas was a 1st century Christian.

And the Epistle that bears the name of St. Barnabas the Apostle is almost certainly not the work of the Apostle. But it is, nevertheless, a valuable work of early Christian literature which was held in high esteem by many in the ancient Church. St. Barnabas died probably in the early 60's, ancient accounts of his martyrdom say that he was either stoned to death or hanged; while the Epistle is dated to sometime between 70 and 130 AD.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums