Do you think that using inappropriate contentography is equal to cheating?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe GoT is referencing Game of Thrones. An HBO show full of nudity and full on sex acts . IMO believers should avoid this show whether they struggle with inappropriate content or not. It is simply another pattern of the world of normalizing sin - broadcasting it on television .
OK - thank you.

I have heard of "Game of Thrones" and seen some ads from my cable provider. But as I have never subscribed to HBO (or its competitors) I know next to nothing about the show.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll just say I'm close to 40 and over the years people have become more finger pointy and judgy about things as christian.
I am over 60 and have the exact opposite experience.

In some cases I think it is good, in other cases NOT GOOD AT ALL.

In the cases of unscriptural legalism, I am glad to see that not being much of an issue any more. My dad said one of his seminary profs (late 1940s) was quoted as saying that "the devil is invading the homes in America. You can tell which ones by the horns growing on their roofs." (TV antennas)

When was the last time you heard that if you owned a deck of cards, a pair of dice, or had a bottle of Listerine that you were condemned to hell?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK - thank you.

I have heard of "Game of Thrones" and seen some ads from my cable provider. But as I have never subscribed to HBO (or its competitors) I know next to nothing about the show.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Sorry, it’s a quote from the show :tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ew, that’s gross ^^ :(

I think this all started with abortion. When a culture doesn’t care about the most vulnerable and innocent of life, it will create a slippery slope. And soon there will be no “children.” Scary.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Someone said in an earlier post that they would find inappropriate content more problematic than an actual affair, because the actual affair only happens once - but inappropriate content happens "again and again and again".

Gotta admit - that's exactly the opposite way that I'd look at it. I'd find an actual affair FAR more problematic. The reason for this is mostly because of how I always looked at inappropriate content from a personal standpoint.

For me, when I'd indulge in inappropriate content, it was pretty much utilitarian. It was tied intrinsically to one specific thing - "self pleasuring". No more, no less. And to view it in it's proper context, for me at least, I have to look at the self-pleasure thing and how inappropriate content fit into it.

I figured out about self-pleasure long before I had the slightest hint and/or understanding about sex. I mean, really, it was as simple as I bumped into a wall one day and discovered "Hey, that felt kinda good". Once I discovered that, I was off to the races with it. I mean, why not? I discovered something that felt good.

So I was probably a year or two into that habit before I even started to put the pieces together of how that fit into other things. I started figuring out the sex thing, and what the act was mimicking, probably by around 12-13. And yeah, once I started to piece things together, it took on a sexual nature. Mostly it was in fantasy.

This was about the time that my pastor at church told us kids that "Sexual sin, including masturbation, is second only to murder in the eyes of God." - which really caused me problems - because I was in the midst of puberty, self-pleasuring already, etc. The next couple of years just sucked - because it was one failure after another - promising God I'd "never do it again", feeling that my immortal soul was in danger each time I "failed", etc.

One GOOD thing did come from that though...it made me really sit back and think about what I was doing - how it fit into the "sins" my church was trying to infer I was guilty of - etc...and I came to some conclusions.

Did it really fit into the "He who looks upon a woman with lust has already committed adultery in his heart"?

No, not really. I mean - when I self pleasured - sure - there were sexual thoughts associated with it. But, they were not directed at ANYONE. It was more like sexual scenarios I'd concoct in my head. There were female forms, there were sexual acts, etc...but I wasn't fantasizing about Lisa who sat across from me in History. I was fantasizing about a faceless, nameless, female form, engaging in a sex act with me.

Does a momentary product of your imagination count as a person that you're looking upon with lust? IMHO no. It's a creation of your mind to fulfill a need at the moment, and discarded the moment you don't need it any more. It's identity-less. I could understand the "don't look upon someone with lust" thing in that context if I was actually fantasizing about people - but I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the same thing. I never fantasized about real people.

As time progressed and I discovered inappropriate content - in a sense it almost became a substitute for that imaginary individual in my head. Almost a sort of intellectual laziness. Why exert the effort to concoct a scenario and/or figure in my head if one can be presented to me?

That really was what inappropriate content was, for me at least. I'd watch it if I felt the itch to go take care of myself, and once I was done, it was out of sight and out of mind. Two minutes after I was "done", I probably couldn't tell you the first detail about the girl. I couldn't tell you if she was blonde or brunette, her name, what happened (apart from "sex") in the video, etc. A half hour later, I likely would have forgotten I'd done it altogether. That's how much importance I put on it, and what space it occupied in my mind.

I mean, I'm 48 years old. I "discovered" self stimulation when I was probably 10-11 years old - went through puberty - went through my teens - my 20's - 30's - etc...and a good percent of that time was single. A good percent of that time was taking care of myself. Most likely we're talking total thousands of times if you were to really sit back and work out the math on it. MOST of those times included some concocted scenario in my head. A good percent of those times were watching a scenario presented to me. And I don't remember a single one of them. It truly was "I've got an itch, just took care of it, now on with my day." and whatever was in my head was forgotten about in short shrift.

So since that's how I see self-stimulation and it's corollaries of fantasy (and as a tangent inappropriate content) to assist in self-stimulation - I would FAR prefer my spouse to engage in that over an actual sex act with an actual person. Sure, that ACTUAL sex act with an ACTUAL person might be once whereas the inappropriate content (in my scenario) could be habitual - but ya know - the ACTUAL act (if she was anything like me) would be FAR more meaningful than the habitual self-rub and then going about her day forgetting about the whole thing.

That is a HUGE difference in my mind.

Now, I did eventually come to have a lot of problems with inappropriate content - but not for the types of reasons people are saying here. For me, it was coming to the realization that it wasn't just some substitute-for-my-fantasy I was watching. I was watching an actual person - and what kind of life events could lead someone to make those types of life choices? Where you'd show your face on VIDEO having sex with someone and all of the consequences socially that brings - for a couple of hundred bucks? Were there drugs? Was there sexual abuse they underwent when they were younger? Was my "substitute for fantasy" profiting an industry that exploited broken people?

I came to the conclusion that "yes, it was", and that's the basis of why I eventually came to have a lot of problems with it.

But I also understand people that might not be at that juncture yet - as I spent a good amount of time just kinda happily going along doing my own thing in a sort of disassociated way - equating what was really happening to those people with what ought have just remained within my head.

If that makes any sense.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, Game of Thrones has gotten less and less sexual as the seasons have progressed. In the latest season, I can only remember one sex scene, and the truth is it was pretty tame compared to what there were in the first couple of seasons.

And given what I understand the next season to be like, I'd bet there will be none in that one.

• Agree
Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My parents kept their stuff pretty well hidden. After my folks passed - my wife and I went back out to my old hometown to get the house prepped and ready for sale...which meant going through EVERYTHING and clearing the house out. So there were lots of areas that I got into that apparently I missed as a kid.

Finding my folks' copies of the Kama Sutra and books like "The Joy of Sex" was a little ... weird.

I found my mom's copy of "Games People Play"..............and that was while she was alive.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, Game of Thrones has gotten less and less sexual as the seasons have progressed. In the latest season, I can only remember one sex scene, and the truth is it was pretty tame compared to what there were in the first couple of seasons.

And given what I understand the next season to be like, I'd bet there will be none in that one.

...AND I found her copy of "Fountainhead," but I didn't read it and at that time (35 years ago) I had no idea what it was about. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone said in an earlier post that they would find inappropriate content more problematic than an actual affair, because the actual affair only happens once - but inappropriate content happens "again and again and again".

Gotta admit - that's exactly the opposite way that I'd look at it. I'd find an actual affair FAR more problematic. The reason for this is mostly because of how I always looked at inappropriate content from a personal standpoint.

For me, when I'd indulge in inappropriate content, it was pretty much utilitarian. It was tied intrinsically to one specific thing - "self pleasuring". No more, no less. And to view it in it's proper context, for me at least, I have to look at the self-pleasure thing and how inappropriate content fit into it.

I figured out about self-pleasure long before I had the slightest hint and/or understanding about sex. I mean, really, it was as simple as I bumped into a wall one day and discovered "Hey, that felt kinda good". Once I discovered that, I was off to the races with it. I mean, why not? I discovered something that felt good.

So I was probably a year or two into that habit before I even started to put the pieces together of how that fit into other things. I started figuring out the sex thing, and what the act was mimicking, probably by around 12-13. And yeah, once I started to piece things together, it took on a sexual nature. Mostly it was in fantasy.

This was about the time that my pastor at church told us kids that "Sexual sin, including masturbation, is second only to murder in the eyes of God." - which really caused me problems - because I was in the midst of puberty, self-pleasuring already, etc. The next couple of years just sucked - because it was one failure after another - promising God I'd "never do it again", feeling that my immortal soul was in danger each time I "failed", etc.

One GOOD thing did come from that though...it made me really sit back and think about what I was doing - how it fit into the "sins" my church was trying to infer I was guilty of - etc...and I came to some conclusions.

Did it really fit into the "He who looks upon a woman with lust has already committed adultery in his heart"?

No, not really. I mean - when I self pleasured - sure - there were sexual thoughts associated with it. But, they were not directed at ANYONE. It was more like sexual scenarios I'd concoct in my head. There were female forms, there were sexual acts, etc...but I wasn't fantasizing about Lisa who sat across from me in History. I was fantasizing about a faceless, nameless, female form, engaging in a sex act with me.

Does a momentary product of your imagination count as a person that you're looking upon with lust? IMHO no. It's a creation of your mind to fulfill a need at the moment, and discarded the moment you don't need it any more. It's identity-less. I could understand the "don't look upon someone with lust" thing in that context if I was actually fantasizing about people - but I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the same thing. I never fantasized about real people.

As time progressed and I discovered inappropriate content - in a sense it almost became a substitute for that imaginary individual in my head. Almost a sort of intellectual laziness. Why exert the effort to concoct a scenario and/or figure in my head if one can be presented to me?

That really was what inappropriate content was, for me at least. I'd watch it if I felt the itch to go take care of myself, and once I was done, it was out of sight and out of mind. Two minutes after I was "done", I probably couldn't tell you the first detail about the girl. I couldn't tell you if she was blonde or brunette, her name, what happened (apart from "sex") in the video, etc. A half hour later, I likely would have forgotten I'd done it altogether. That's how much importance I put on it, and what space it occupied in my mind.

I mean, I'm 48 years old. I "discovered" self stimulation when I was probably 10-11 years old - went through puberty - went through my teens - my 20's - 30's - etc...and a good percent of that time was single. A good percent of that time was taking care of myself. Most likely we're talking total thousands of times if you were to really sit back and work out the math on it. MOST of those times included some concocted scenario in my head. A good percent of those times were watching a scenario presented to me. And I don't remember a single one of them. It truly was "I've got an itch, just took care of it, now on with my day." and whatever was in my head was forgotten about in short shrift.

So since that's how I see self-stimulation and it's corollaries of fantasy (and as a tangent inappropriate content) to assist in self-stimulation - I would FAR prefer my spouse to engage in that over an actual sex act with an actual person. Sure, that ACTUAL sex act with an ACTUAL person might be once whereas the inappropriate content (in my scenario) could be habitual - but ya know - the ACTUAL act (if she was anything like me) would be FAR more meaningful than the habitual self-rub and then going about her day forgetting about the whole thing.

Now, I did eventually come to have a lot of problems with inappropriate content - but not for the types of reasons people are saying here. For me, it was coming to the realization that it wasn't just some substitute-for-my-fantasy I was watching. I was watching an actual person - and what kind of life events could lead someone to make those types of life choices? Where you'd show your face on VIDEO having sex with someone and all of the consequences socially that brings - for a couple of hundred bucks? Were there drugs? Was there sexual abuse they underwent when they were younger? Was my "substitute for fantasy" profiting an industry that exploited broken people?

I came to the conclusion that "yes, it was", and that's the basis of why I eventually came to have a lot of problems with it.

But I also understand people that might not be at that juncture yet - as I spent a good amount of time just kinda happily going along doing my own thing in a sort of disassociated way - equating what was really happening to those people with what ought have just remained within my head.

If that makes any sense.

sexual immorality -IS SIN full stop.
your sinning against GOD .
as with ANY SIN God can and wills to set people free . and i testify in the name of Jesus he does so .
and then we go on to do it no more .

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ew, that’s gross ^^ :(

I think this all started with abortion. When a culture doesn’t care about the most vulnerable and innocent of life, it will create a slippery slope. And soon there will be no “children.” Scary.

I always kind of wonder just how much Christians think about what our society would be like if abortion were outlawed. Is there ever any thoughts about that? Or is it simply a moral issue and any problems that might arise as consequences don't really matter?

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always kind of wonder just how much Christians think about what our society would be like if abortion were outlawed.

sadly, it would go back to illegal ones or woman trying to do one themselves

adoption maybe could be promoted more
there are lots of people willing to adopt babies

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always kind of wonder just how much Christians think about what our society would be like if abortion were outlawed. Is there ever any thoughts about that? Or is it simply a moral issue and any problems that might arise as consequences don't really matter?

You seem to think that’s a woman’s only option? That she doesn’t have a choice but to have unprotected sex? Unless it’s a matter of rape, we have choices. Abortion should never be thought of as the first and only option.

But many treat it as such. I don’t think abortion should be banned it just has become an option that has been overused.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You seem to think that’s a woman’s only option? That she doesn’t have a choice but to have unprotected sex? Unless it’s a matter of rape, we have choices. Abortion should never be thought of as the first and only option.

But many treat it as such. I don’t think abortion should be banned it just has become an option that has been overused.

My mistake, so you aren't for outlawing abortion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If that makes any sense.
I think that inappropriate content use is one of those things that can lead one to being curious about having sex with others. It might not lead to that at all but it could lead one to becoming bored or viewing married sex as boring. inappropriate content shows women doing things on command and that’s not real life lol Meanwhile they are getting paid. Sex shouldn’t be a series of commands and demands and if those demand aren’t met, then we think we are missing out. But inappropriate content has a way of making people think that they are missing out in a man or woman who will do anything and everything.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
t it could lead one to becoming bored or viewing married sex as boring. inappropriate content shows women doing things on command and that’s not real life lol
Very good point.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that inappropriate content use is one of those things that can lead one to being curious about having sex with others.
What do you think of the statement that if you have a deep desire for your wife (or husband) to do something sexually that they are not doing or may find offensive; you are actually desiring to have sex with a different person and are (according to Matt 5.28) committing adultery in the heart?

Upvote 0