Do you think that homosexuality is a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Then God said it was also detestable to wear clothing of mixed fabrics, shave, eat shellfish, plow the field with mixed seed, etc. If you don't feel at liberty to uphold all these silly Leviticus laws, then who gives you or anyone else the right to cherry pick it?

Btw, God never said that homosexuality would keep you from entering the kingdom. Again, I post the evidence, of a proven FALSE translation in 1 Cor. 6:9, since the word is unknown:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/homarsen.htm
People have shown numerous reasons as to how to know which laws to follow, and I know because I have explained it numerous times, but people refuse to learn and prefer to wallow in their sin, so..

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm..a link to RELIGIOUSTOLERANCE.org..I wonder if their information will be biased..:doh:
That is silly...that site posts the viewpoints of all, but nonetheless, you have any proof the information lacks credibility? This is your rebuttal to my post?

Upvote 0

Walpurgis

Jan 28, 2008
✟184.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
People have shown numerous reasons as to how to know which laws to follow, and I know because I have explained it numerous times, but people refuse to learn and prefer to wallow in their sin, so..
So what? Why didn't you finish that sentence?

I still don't understand at all. I'm trying to give Christianity a chance, I really am. I've attended hundreds of sermons, bible groups, prayer groups etc and I still just don't get it. Why do modern Christians reject some OT laws (not eating shellfish is the usual example) yet insist so strongly on this particular one being God's will? It doesn't look like any kind of exception from the text. What makes you so sure?

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Regardless it is cherry picking the passage. Without the historical context, it is useless to quote Scripture. For instance, it has been proven that in the Canaanite religion, that men would dress as women and have sex before a false god. Tow'ebah (the word translated as "abomination" in Leviticus) in the ritual sense, would make sense to refer to that ceremonial violation.

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am aware of those very small exceptions. That's God's business. Not ours. No great, sweeping conclusions may be made from it concerning your choices in life.
Small exceptions? there is only contrary evidence shown that you are unaware of that, and no, they aren't "small exceptions".

My "choices" have nothing to do with the thread, but something tells me you still do not grasp that the attraction remains UNCHOSEN, and unchangeable, regardless of what you think you can say to the contrary.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No conclusive evidence has been produced to indicate a "gene" of which you speak. And even if there were..still doesn't make it right! We all have sinful desires that come natural to us..but Christ is stronger than all of them!! :thumbsup:

:amen:
*rolls eyes and supresses urge to scream at monitor*

There IS very strong evidence to suggest that genetics plays a roll in determining predisposition towards homosexuality.

FACT.

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
the numerous reasons to believe homosexuality is wrong would be...? If you would like to have a serious, calm and rational conversation about this, I would welcome it, but so far, I have never seen any evidence supporting this view that doesn't boil down to "The Bible SEZ!"

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
*rolls eyes and supresses urge to scream at monitor*

There IS very strong evidence to suggest that genetics plays a roll in determining predisposition towards homosexuality.

FACT.
What you just said:

FICTION

See how little what you or I say matters in the whole of the debate? Where's the EVIDENCE?

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Regardless it is cherry picking the passage. Without the historical context, it is useless to quote Scripture. For instance, it has been proven that in the Canaanite religion, that men would dress as women and have sex before a false god. Tow'ebah (the word translated as "abomination" in Leviticus) in the ritual sense, would make sense to refer to that ceremonial violation.
Ha..historical context. I'll trust the Holy Spirit to maintain his word in its truth and purity, thank you. Hard to believe you can believe in a God who you believe doesn't..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was discussing Arsenokoitai, the word used in 1 Cor. 6:9, not Romans 1. Not fitting to refute.

Regardless, Romans 1 addresses evil idolaters, and it is debatable whether this passage addresses gays and lesbians, or heterosexuals abandoning their true sexual orientations. The Greek words used in the passage are "phusis" and "phusikos", which are a person's instincts, and what comes instinctively to them. Gays and lesbians do not have a natural instinct to the opposite sex, so they don't "abandon" their natural instincts.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
FloatingAxe,

Pride and Self Righteousness is a terrible sin. I wish you would repent of your sinful lifestyle and get right with God. You need the filling of the Holy Spirit. Jesus can forgive you of your pride.

My self-worth comes from knowing Jesus Christ! He loves me and calls me His own. He lives His life in me.

My lifestyle is serving God by worshiping Him in all I do. He deserves all glory and praise.

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ha..historical context. I'll trust the Holy Spirit to maintain his word in its truth and purity, thank you. Hard to believe you can believe in a God who you believe doesn't..
Then perhaps you might as well use the justification in the Bible to own slaves, since you ignore historical context...

Upvote 0

Walpurgis

Jan 28, 2008
✟184.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Gays and lesbians do not have a natural instinct to the opposite sex, so they don't "abandon" their natural instincts.
How could you possibly know what it feels like to be homosexual? I presume you have feelings towards people of the opposite gender - do you feel able to just switch that off if it disagrees with the book?

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I was discussing Arsenokoitai, the word used in 1 Cor. 6:9, not Romans 1. Not fitting to refute.

Regardless, Romans 1 addresses evil idolaters, and it is debatable whether this passage addresses gays and lesbians, or heterosexuals abandoning their true sexual orientations. The Greek words used in the passage are "phusis" and "phusikos", which are a person's instincts, and what comes instinctively to them. Gays and lesbians do not have a natural instinct to the opposite sex, so they don't "abandon" their natural instincts.
Well since you don't believe your source in this reference why should I accept it in the other? I'd like a more scientific organization's opinion then in this case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Then perhaps you might as well use the justification in the Bible to own slaves, since you ignore historical context...
I'm not saying historical context isn't often key to understanding. But with the levels you want to take it to, well it's just silly. And since you pulled out that card I'll assume you know as well as I do that the slavery of the Bible was NOTHING like the slavery of our day.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Using the word "homosexual" in the Bible, when there isn't any viable translation of the word in Hebrew OR Greek is a serious breaking of Biblical Exegesis.

Btw, why don't you save your argument for the translators, who have proven without a doubt they can't get the translations straight? Big difference between translating arsenokoitai as homosexual and masturbators (the universally).

Does your whole existence as a homosexual revolve around that "a-r-s-e" word? It's just ridiculous, and almost a fixation. Is that your justification?

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well since you don't believe your source in this reference why should I accept it in the other? I'd like a more scientific organization's opinion then in this case.
I was discussing a word study of 1 Cor. 6:9, not someone's interpretation of Romans 1. That is what you quoted, someone's opinion of Romans 1, which is only quoted on the cite as one interpretation.

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does your whole existence as a homosexual revolve around that "a-r-s-e" word? It's just ridiculous, and almost a fixation. Is that your justification?
I quote it when you people believe that translations are infallible and the proven correct translation which is FALSE.

I also quoted it because you feel at liberty to keep saying that "homosexuals will not enter the kingdom of heaven and God says so". THAT word being translated that way falsely is the ONLY place it says what you claim.

Regardless, keep me out of it, this is not about me, and it is against the rules.

Btw, I have posted interpretations of ALL the clobber passages, ad nauseam, so, no, I do not base anything off that one word.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Then God said it was also detestable to wear clothing of mixed fabrics, shave, eat shellfish, plow the field with mixed seed, etc. If you don't feel at liberty to uphold all these silly Leviticus laws, then who gives you or anyone else the right to cherry pick it?

Btw, God never said that homosexuality would keep you from entering the kingdom. Again, I post the evidence, of a proven FALSE translation in 1 Cor. 6:9, since the word is unknown:

Your translation is false and has an agenda behind it. We are not amused.
grrr8.gif

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.