Do you think its ok for this person to Lead worship?

megabuff

Feb 18, 2011
✟23,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a lady who is living with her partner in a long term committed relationship but not married.

She is sometimes in the worship team and sometimes leads.

Nothing against the lady as she is a good friend, but I dont think its right. To me the position id like a deacon in the church and there are certain standard.

Another guy who does backup singing, again a good friend of mine so nothing against him personally, is not yet saved. Hes been coming to church for a few years, initially because his wife is Christian. He is making progress and went from a definite atheist to where he is thinking Jesus may be real, but he is not there yet.

What do you guys think is this ok or not?

I dont want to sound legalistic, and I had mate from another church who was told he could not sing because he like to occasionally have a few beers. and i think that was way over the top.

I know no one is perfect and we all sin but isnt there a certain standard one should have?

Reactions: Job3315

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Two people joined together in front of witnesses are married (maybe this isn't the case in the OP). Maybe they need to make a formal vow of marriage to each other to satisfy our churches requirements.. How does your church view marriage and what importance does it place on the piece of paper from the state?

Worship is a leadership position and those serving should be born again and have several years of walking uprightly in order to serve. Oh yes, and be able to sing well.
As a musician, I don't buy into this mentality that anyone can get up and lead just because they can strum a few chords or croak out a song. Musicians have egos and those must be in check and submitted to the Lord before one note if played. Worship leaders are people of prayer and worship in their private lives not just in front of others. JMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We have a lady who is living with her partner in a long term committed relationship but not married.

How long have they been together...?, are they very committed to each other...? Do they, or is there, a "common law" marriage where they/you live...?

Another guy who does backup singing, again a good friend of mine so nothing against him personally, is not yet saved. Hes been coming to church for a few years, initially because his wife is Christian. He is making progress and went from a definite atheist to where he is thinking Jesus may be real, but he is not there yet.

Why is he in church...?

Don't know...? It depends...?

I dont want to sound legalistic, and I had mate from another church who was told he could not sing because he like to occasionally have a few beers. and i think that was way over the top.

Why, or why not...?

I know no one is perfect and we all sin but isnt there a certain standard one should have?

Perhaps, but what is it or should it be and who should set that standard...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟325,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I know no one is perfect and we all sin but inst there a certain standard one should have?
Living and learning in Christ, walking towards Him and not away. Sin is sin, we all sin and hopefully get it washed clean by the blood. I can't say who should hold a position in church and even at that some churches are already dead, others alive. If a church doesn't help you walk towards Christ and if it isn't dead it might as well be to you, then leave it. But leave the business of the church up to those in charge is my suggestion.

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Beer is not a problem; getting drunk is a problem. I wouldn't stop someone from singing at church because they said they liked to have a drink.

As a worship leader,I would stop them if they weren't a Christian. I also think it's correct to question those type of issues.

Would it be okay if the pastor/worship leader was living with someone but not married?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your church is probably a registered business.....and just like most businesses, they should have rules to follow for membership and/or participation. You should look at these rules, just like any business would, and if they are not followed, do whatever you can to enforce them, even until the revocation of membership.

However know that you are doing what is best for you and your business and not what is best for God. In fact, what you are doing to the people in question, is what you will be doing to God...since they seem to be viewed as "the least" in your eyes. But have no fear....Jesus as been sat down and pushed out of churches in the past as well...so this is nothing new.

You have every right to want the organization run the way it was designed to be ran. And should not be made to feel bad for your desire to do so. Your actions will have reaction, however, but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Nothing against the lady as she is a good friend, but I dont think its right. To me the position id like a deacon in the church and there are certain standard.

I don’t consider a worship leader as being like an elder, deacon, ect.

You probably only know their situation because you are friends and I’m not sure it should matter, especially in a smaller church where they are volunteer positions

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What kind of church is the one you are asking about in the original post? Which denomination, etc.?

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP

I think this is a tricky issue. Marriage has a long and complicated history. We think of it as vows and legal registration. In the Bible it was effectively moving in together with paternal consent, and consummating the relationship. There was no service at the synagogue.

On the other hand, should we consider our cultural norms? Do we need a wedding ceremony? What about two people who "get hitched" at the town hall? What do we understand marriage to be?

If we understand it as a public, committed relationship for life, your friend might actually meet the Biblical standards!

This is one where I would be inclined to leave it between her, her partner and God.

To be clear - I would take a different view on short casual relationships!

Okay, the beer - I agree. Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine, and he liked to go to parties. That Church would probably have prevented Jesus from teaching!

The guy singing while not a Christian - we all have different faith journeys. I wonder how much progress he would have made had he been told he couldn't use his gifts and skills? Would he have come back? Would he have the motivation to join in? This is where grace comes in. By allowing him to be fully part of the community you have provided a space where you benefit from his gifts, and where he's obviously free to ask his questions and find the answers. I wonder how many faith based discussions he's had at practice? How many friends has he made that are helping him find Jesus? Let's face it, if you're using good songs with sound theology, he has to learn them right? And that's a teaching exercise in itself (not to supplant the Bible of course). ;-)

It sounds like a lovely Church :)

Personally I have no issue with this. Ultimately worship is between you and God, the community and God - it's not dependent on who has the mic.!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Shacking up ain't marriage...nor should she be leading worship as long as she is shacking up. Believers should honor marriage and the marriage bed.
Man pass all kind of laws to satisfy flesh but they don't trump biblical standards...we are to honor God and apply His Word in our lives.

Jesus and the woman at the well: John 4:16 He told her, “Go, call your husband
and come back.”
17 “I have no husband,” she replied.
18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not
your husband. What you have just said is quite true.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Shacking up ain't marriage...nor should she be leading worship as long as she is shacking up. Believers should honor marriage and the marriage bed.
Man pass all kind of laws to satisfy flesh but they don't trump biblical standards...we are to honor God and apply His Word in our lives.

Jesus and the woman at the well: John 4:16 He told her, “Go, call your husband
and come back.”
17 “I have no husband,” she replied.
18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not
your husband. What you have just said is quite true.
Yet she was forgiven...?

And loved by Christ...

Does, or would that mean that she cannot go to, or participate in a church...?

God Bless!

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus say to the woman at the well?

Not just, you are forgiven, but, Go and sin no more!

He didn't say go on living in sin and you are forgiven.

The singer guy should absolutely be encouraged, not thrown out for not fully believing yet. I would rather attend a church full of seekers, than one run by a woman living in sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The singer guy should absolutely be encouraged, not thrown out for not fully believing yet. I would rather attend a church full of seekers, than one run by a woman living in sin.
Uh, no he did not, actually...? Your getting that confused with the woman caught in the act of adultery (John 8:1-11) The Samaritan woman at the well, is in (John 4:7-30) to whom he said no such thing...?

And the woman caught in act of adultery and why she was forgiven (I believe) and I'm going to paraphrase, "let any man that is free from, or that is without guilt (for this woman's adultery), cast the first stone at her."... (From various translations)...

Then there is Matthew 21:31

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Jesus was perfect. What do you expect Him to say?

She was forgiven and it was not contingent

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If they are accepted and loved they will stay at your church. If they are rejected from tasks they volunteer to do at your church...they will stop attending your church or perhaps any church group.
Treat other people, the same as you would wish them to trust you. Do you enjoy high hurdles and tests regarding your volunteer activities? Then fine. Screen others as well.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is there a reason they aren't getting married? Is it like someone is going to lose benefits or something? Do they consider themselves married? I see why you find it troubling, but depending on what the nature of the situation is, it may not be what it looks like.

Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think she is perfect for the job because she is well rounded. If she is 65 or older then she can automatically have the position of elder.

Upvote 0