• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

do you really need to want to get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ED is mostly about control. it starts with us controlling our circumstances. ofcourse it ends up 'controlling' (more like consuming) us.

is it important to find out what controls we started with; so we can see where our false thinking is?

how do we get our control back?

each person will have their own ideas and ways.... their own answers.

God's love and grace... never changes or needs picked apart, but never leaves us. we can let feel free to work on these things with God, with no shame. He listens, understands, interceeds, and saves us. healling will come. sometimes we can't stop the worldly hurts and conseqences; and sometimes this life is a complete struggle; but nothing can take the love, change the salvation or ruin the healling God has willed for us to feel and know and have though Jesus. :hug: :bow:

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christdefinesme,

actually that makes alot of sense, slow, and allow him to do it....
now honestly i "think' there is no dark underlying secrets, but most people with ED have issues from childhood....:confused: i am praying mine are small a whole bunch of little things....although my darling sister, did bring up something that happened to her when she was young that has left doubt in my mind.....but never made anything surface,i am praying thats cause it was only her..actually that does not sound nice, sorry, she tends at time to what i believe make up stories, but this would have been going to far if it was made up....feel like i am talking in circles..... as for the feeling , i hate feelings, i hate to feel... but thanks for the great advice....
Blessings Denise

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DEE,

so glad to see you, i got a little concerned yesterday when i did not see you on, ya know u get used to seeing peoples names in the sidebar? anyway hey....

Yes ED'S are all about control, at first....and BTW i am a control freak, try to control everything and everyone, and i think i realized that does not work....along with an ED.
but nothing can take the love, change the salvation or ruin the healling God has willed for us to feel and know and have though Jesus. :hug: :bow:

AMEN to that!!!!!!

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is definitely the Lord who does the peeling and revealing. Most people find that what the peeling does is allows them to see themselves as they truly are, warts and all. Then, they see the people that they love and are loved by more realistically, and in a more healthy way. Things that have happened to most of us in our childhoods allowed us to use food in distorted ways, and cause us to view ourselves through really bad lenses. Therapy, recovery, treatment, whatever path the Lord leads you on, allows us to work through things in our past with adult lenses, instead of the child lenses we used when we were younger. Then, we learn to change our thinking about those events, and we learn to change our behavior to more healthy ways of coping with negative feelings and events in our present and future.

All of it is about making peace with ourselves, and our pasts, while learning to cope with our lives now and later on. God is a God of peace. He wants to bring healing to all of HIs children. He can't do this without our cooperation, and willingness. He can be trusted to guide you through this process at His pace, in His time.

When I entered therapy in 1989, I had no clue I was as troubled as I was. The changes were hard to make for me, as I had a lot of addictive behaviors, as well as maladaptive ways of coping with negative emotions. I have been in therapy since then, with the same shrink, bless his heart, and have made many wonderful changes. God has guided me through many traumas since entering therapy, like my divorce in 2001, and my son's heroin addiction from 2001 to 2004. I have recently completed a Masters in Social Work to become a licensed therapist myself. God has helped me every step of the way.

God is faithful and will not take you anywhere He is not prepared to hold you through. When you are ready to heal, He will heal you. His ways are perfect. There may be pain, but He will give grace to sustain through it. Trust Him.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trish,
Praise the lord your son is clean....heroin not a good drug of choice.
what you said makes much sense, with therapy 2 x a week i am sure the peeling will have to start at some point? The Lord would not take me me there is i was not ready to deal with it. hey maybe whatever it is i will never know, but i do know that the Lord does watch out for me and also carry me when i need to be carried..peace with ourselves...thats a hard one, now i can think of quite a few things that bother me about what i have done in my life, but then wonder could that be it?it is so confusing to try and deal with...
my nutrionist called yesterday and she and my therapist have decided that i would not see her until i was ready to get better, no point in going unless i am going to folllow a meal plan..which i so understand.

oh and now you being a therapist and me talking to the pastor at church, that i have an appt on monday, and oh a dr appt on thursday, now he will not be happy with the fact of the nutrionist, and i believe my weight....ugh...

you must be very proud of yourself for making such a big accomplishment in your life and becoming a therapist, that is amazing..
Denise

Just wanted to add,i got myself a job at the supermarket... ok never worked in one before, and since my old job it was only 1 or 2 days a week will not take me back bc i am to thin, so i figured i neeeded a night job, so now this might not have been a good choice but agreeed to work 6 nights a week, from 5.00 o'clock on....... logically in my mind i will not be here for dinner, and we need the money.

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
icon12.gif