Do you let your children play on the computer unsupervised?

Do you let your children play on the computer unsupervised?

• Yes.

• Yes, but we limit their time.

• No. We put the computer in an open location.

• No. We have monitoring software.

• No (Other reason)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
It may be best to define what age you mean when you say children.

I would say, at the age in which they begin having "legitimate" reasons to use the internet (like for example, school projects, research, etc.).

-Davide

Upvote 0

MezzaMorta

Aug 11, 2006
✟4,292.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I let my 12 year old cousin on the computer when I am takeing care of him, though he spends more time on his video games. I never turn the history off on my internet so i can see what he looked at afterwards and it has never been anything i would consider inapropiate for a child of that age.

Upvote 0

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We have the main computer, the one the kids are allowed on, in an open location, very open ;)

The other one, in the computer room, when the grandkids all want on, isn't as open, but we walk in all the time, and we allow them to only get on a limited account.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
One trick I have is to not allow any storage space for cookies when I leave the computer. This makes it impossible for anyone unsupervised and naive to log into a site like CF or to change the safety filters on Google or use a third party anonymous search engine and change the filter systems.

My sites are always stored in favorites and the history is always set to clear after 1 day. Just like being tidy I guess.

I prohibit any personal information about our family on the WEB, especially in chat rooms or forums.

I also have search and recover software that allows me to recover anything that has been deleted, even if it has been emptied from the recycle bin.

Upvote 0

MezzaMorta

Aug 11, 2006
✟4,292.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
One trick I have is to not allow any storage space for cookies when I leave the computer. This makes it impossible for anyone unsupervised and naive to log into a site like CF or to change the safety filters on Google or use a third party anonymous search engine and change the filter systems.

My sites are always stored in favorites and the history is always set to clear after 1 day. Just like being tidy I guess.

I prohibit any personal information about our family on the WEB, especially in chat rooms or forums.

I also have search and recover software that allows me to recover anything that has been deleted, even if it has been emptied from the recycle bin.

Wow, your kids arn't going to get away with anything eh

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MezzaMorta

Aug 11, 2006
✟4,292.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I would also be curious to know if anyone here uses monitoring/parental controls software. And if so, how effective it has been (assuming that can be determined).

Nah, even children have a right to privacy. I wouldn’t have wanted my parents reading my emails or such when I was 12 (if we had a computer) so I wouldn’t subject that upon a child now. There are plenty of programs out there that do that, but if your kids ever find out they might be pretty resentful.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nah, even children have a right to privacy. I wouldn’t have wanted my parents reading my emails or such when I was 12 (if we had a computer) so I wouldn’t subject that upon a child now. There are plenty of programs out there that do that, but if your kids ever find out they might be pretty resentful.
I agree with you to some extent. As far as emails go, anyone who writes to their peers deserve the same privacy as if it were a private conversation, but I do have the right to know exactly who it is they are writing to. No strangers.

Allowing privacy is a priviledge and a matter of trust. violate the trust and you can forget the priviledges.

I conducted a poll in CP&E asking if a 14 year old child posting a question about his sexuality on a WEB site :
what the appropriate response would be.

Well you would be amazed how many well meaning folks have no problem discussing sexual issues with young kids on the internet behind the parent's backs.

Despite my many objections and arguments these helping hands still insist that encouraging or advising a kid they do not know who is confused about his sexuality is okay and that a kids own parents are naive and stupid and not understanding.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The computer my kids have access to is in an open location and there is a cybersitter program on it that filters certain words, sites, etc... They have a specific time limit as well. Of course this is only for internet usage. Most of the time they spend on the computer is not on the internet. Games, drawing...that sort of thing. :)

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MezzaMorta

Aug 11, 2006
✟4,292.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you to some extent. As far as emails go, anyone who writes to their peers deserve the same privacy as if it were a private conversation, but I do have the right to know exactly who it is they are writing to. No strangers.

I agree depending on the age, but I think educating them about the dangers of the internet and ensuring that they do not fall into a predators trap is a lot more effective and responsible then spying on them or blocking them access totally.

Kids are resourceful, they can pull things off right in front of you will out you knowing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.