Do you have to keep confessing sin through out your life to be saved? (See 1 John 1:9)

Do you have to keep confessing sin through out your life to be saved?

• Total voters

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For OSAS folk or the Belief Alone Camp all say King David was saved while he committed his sins of adultery and murder. They say it is not condoning sin, but it is condoning sin because one is saying that if David is saved in his sins, then that means we can be, too. Sure, David repented or confessed of his sins to God. But is confession of sin all it takes? Is that what saves?.
I think you need to take this up with God your doubting King David’s salvation after God wrote in His Word that “David is a man after God’s Own heart”.

I don’t claim to speak for God and your issue is clearly with God putting David on this pedestal after he committed adultery and murder.

Why don’t you pray about King David and ask God what’s up with that.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Uh, no. Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell his possessions (work) and give it to the poor (more work) and follow me (even more work) (See Matthew 19:21).
See I don’t consider that work.

If the rich man wanted to follow Jesus, God has to be number one. That is from the Old Covenant.

For Jesus to want to be placed on a higher plane than someone s possessions or money seems to be God’s expectation from the start.

If the rich man would have seen that the spiritual teachings of Christ and Christ’s ways had a higher value than his possessions, he would have thought it was a good deal to trade possessions for spiritual wisdom. But he (and you it seems) place a higher value on the possessions and consider it a work or obligation to trade.

The problem is the value placed on the trade. None of the other disciples had riches. So Christ did not ask for that

What about the guy who wanted to bury his father and Jesus told him to follow him at that moment?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was active duty, whenever we finished an exercise or any significant action, we would have afterward a "debriefing," or "hot washup" or some other fairly formal session where we identified all the mistakes we made and identify how to avoid those mistakes in the future.

I look at confession as a Christian in the same way. Unlike others think (expressed in other threads), I don't believe I'm continuously slipping in and out of salvation on a moment-by-moment basis depending on when I last sinned and when I last confessed.

But as a Christian, I am always concerned that I'm in step with the will of the Father, so I have "debriefings" periodically with the Holy Spirit to go over events of the past and identify those that were not according to the pattern that the Lord had predetermined for my day, and I try to avoid making the same false step twice.

Many times, I hadn't even been aware of a deviation at the time until I have that "debriefing" with the Holy Spirit, who brings it to my attention. That's what Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 11:28.

I believe "repentance" is the same as "asking God for forgiveness" and we can clearly see this in Scripture. I have created 10 points in Scripture to prove this biblical fact. I provided this list in defense of my view on repentance in post #24 (with Scripture) within this thread.

So if repentance is "asking for forgiveness" as the Bible says (and I believe it is), then confessing sin is just another way of saying "repent." If so, we need to understand that we have to confess (repent) with a Godly sorrow. 2 Corinthians 7:10 says,

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of [regretted]: but the sorrow of the world worketh death" (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Note: In this case, the second appearance of the variation on the word "repentance" (i.e. repent) is to mean "regret" in this particular case. The Bible does have homonyms in it. But when we are told to "repent" by God, it is to seek forgiveness with Him. It is not a military briefing how we need to improve. There is no Godly sorrow in that. I hardly doubt David was having a military briefing in Psalms 51. He was pouring his heart out. He was broken. He was desperate for forgiveness. Just read Psalms 51 for yourself. Doesn't sound like a military briefing to me on how he could have done better. It sounds like He needed to get his heart right with God or things were not going to go well for him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you need to take this up with God your doubting King David’s salvation after God wrote in His Word that “David is a man after God’s Own heart”.

I don’t claim to speak for God and your issue is clearly with God putting David on this pedestal after he committed adultery and murder.

Why don’t you pray about King David and ask God what’s up with that.

Okay. I told you this before several times already and you are not listening. I said David was saved in the end, and that he was saved when he asked God for forgiveness of his sins. But during the time he was in his sins he was not saved. Only during the time in his sins he was not saved. It was when he repented or confessed of his sin when he became forgiven (or saved) again. Not sure how you can not understand this.

Upvote 0

DeeR.

Counselor by trade Christian by life.
Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The meaning of salvation by God's terms: Salvation happens, continues to happen and will happen. Salvation happens in the new birth upon the heart/spirit responding to God's call. The continuous renewing of the mind/soul is God working in us (the finished work of Christ as we die & surrender daily. The completion of the salvation is yet to come (for all who are truly his, it will come).
The word 'confess' (with your mouth) is continual [not mere words but an abundant outflow of a changed heart by God and the believer believing & trusting "continually"] Those who are made new will be led and follow the journey to the end no matter what bumps or set backs occur --- God will complete the work, the believer will move from glory to glory as they continue to follow. We confess (continually heart and overflow and in changing that He is true and we are not by our life deeds heart and all overflow---- To say it is a 1 time act is not to understand the words. To become His and in Him is to abide from glory to glory. If we are in Him and he in us then we must continue in the way we first believed, and those who are will and will remain because it is Him who knows who are His and is able to save Completely All who are His until the end.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand how some people think that the ones who put other things besides God in first place aren't saved. We all failed in putting God in first place at lot of times. OSAS unfortunately creates doubts in the mind of those who thought they were surely saved.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I believe based on the Bible that the answer to this question would be a resounding.... "Yes."
This is based primarily upon 1 John 1:9
(But we can see it expressed in other verses in the Bible).

What do you say?
And can you support your belief on this with the Bible?
If so, then please provide the verses.

Thank you.

Oh, and also please vote in the poll, too.

Thank you.

And may God bless you all this fine day.

Side Note:

The poll options only allow me to say so much.
I wish I could add more words to the poll options but I cannot.
Anyways, it is implied that if you confess sin, it is also required that you have:

(a) A belief in Jesus and
(b) To confess those sins to Jesus.
(b) A Godly sorrow as a part of confessing sins.​

If you disagree, then vote in the option that says, "Yes (Other, - please explain)"
If you voted wrong or if you feel you have changed your mind on this topic at some point, you are free to change your vote in the poll. Thank you; And may God bless you.

I completely agree with this post Jason, well done, but I think this is what is minimally required and not more than that to get into heaven, all else is icing on the cake, so to speak...

Good post, well done...

Oh but/and with (a) I might say "personal relationship" rather than belief or just belief... But that is probably what you'l have if you have the next two (b) & (b)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I completely agree with this post Jason, well done, but I think this is what is minimally required and not more than that to get into heaven, all else is icing on the cake, so to speak...

Good post, well done...

Oh but/and with (a) I might say "personal relationship" rather than belief or just belief... But that is probably what you'l have if you have the next two (b) & (b)...

God Bless!

Thank you for the kind words (even though we disagreed strongly at times before).
As for the relationship with GOD:
I believe we have to have it or we are not saved.

There are believers I have encountered who think that a Christian can break fellowship with God and still sin and still be saved - (if you did not know that).

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeeR.

Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Okay. I told you this before several times already and you are not listening. I said David was saved in the end, and that he was saved when he asked God for forgiveness of his sins. But during the time he was in his sins he was not saved. Only during the time in his sins he was not saved. It was when he repented or confessed of his sin when he became forgiven (or saved) again. Not sure how you can not understand this.

The way scripture shows us is that Jesus is able to save completely All those who Are His. Salvation is not a one time act, however, includes a first completed act done by God received by the believer. Salvation is manifold as is all of God & His work. We are saved already if we believe and cannot be separated from or lose His guarantee. The Salvation aspect that is continual for those who Are His that "He" will not lose one of & "He" who has already completed the work and will see it completed in us until it is finished, is called the Renewing of the mind/soul. There is Now no condemnation for those who are in Him... for HE is able to save completely those who are in Him.
We are counseled to make sure we are not deceived with a false faith that has no evidence but a real one that has many proofs of His being in us & we in Him. this does not imply we are His one moment and lost the next. Those who are Truly His will continue to believe and confess from faith to faith, but are His from beginning to end.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DeeR.

Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Good post, well done...

God Bless!
Yes there are many levels as Christ speaks of in our inheritance depending on how much we surrender and yield our heart & life to His will/call. Those are are truly His will continue in His way until the end confessing and believing in many varied capacities. If we are His we will be kept by him start to finish and He will carry us when we fall but will never forsake or abandon us. We must test our faith to see if it is genuine and give more always striving to be closer to God's heart daily if we want to be His Gold or Silver.

• Winner
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not a condition, but an included result of trusting in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12). God's word guarantees His word "shall" (Isaiah 55:11) do all which God means, and confessing is one thing His word has us doing > not in order to keep salvation but because we are now with Jesus who has us doing all God's word the way God means . . . more and more as Jesus the Word of God keeps growing in us as our new inner Person > Galatians 4:19.

Also, God has us confessing to one another, plus ministering His healing to one another >

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

Our mutual confessing and mutual healing prayer helps to get us "healed" of what in our nature makes us able to sin and then suffer because of the weakness of our nature. And we become "healed" more and more together with God, instead, in His love. We, then, also become "healed" more into oneness with one another, with God as our connection in the body of Jesus.

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

I personally understand, Jason, that this union is almighty and God wins out in our union, to change us to become more and more how He is. Plus, this is God's word guaranteed to succeed in all He means > Isaiah 55:11.

So, if we have trusted in Jesus, all God's word means is guaranteed; we are not only given a ticket guaranteeing Heaven after we die, but now we are gaining all His word commands in us and our life with God and one another. Therefore, confessing and other things are not conditions . . . really . . . but guaranteed inclusions, I think :) And in case a person is not getting the correction which brings this perfection in God's love (1 John 4:17), Hebrews 12:8 to me means the person is not a child of God, never has been saved, since a child of God does get this correction . . . how God is able to succeed, not merely what we can will ourselves to do >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

But, yes, I still might have times when it is not obvious I am doing well in this. So, I trust You, God, to know who and how I really am, and to do what You please. You are the Good Judge to know what to do with every one of us.

Upvote 0

Tom34

Perfection of Character is a daily job
Nov 16, 2018
Brisbane
✟9,006.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When we sin, we need to confess.
But that is not enough. We have to forsake the sin and leave it behind.

Matthew 5:48 : Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

I believe in the perfection of mind. I believe that we can walk a righteous life.
But then someone might say, I can't leave behind lust, lying etc.
Yup! we can't... if... we try to live a holy life with human effort. Why? because human hearts are evil continually;

Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
Mar 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders

That's when we need the holy spirit to work within us.

Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

That is the best promise for everyone. Isn't it? Oh yeah! Cry out to Him daily and He shall help You..

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Strange how they immediately start pushing the "slavery and works" accusation as defense.

I personally know no one who depends on works alone for salvation, (I'd suggest a simple search for "faith and works") so since the claim isn't even true, it can only be a very desperate attempt at a defense for a "sin all we want" salvation. Why are such desperate attempts needed...a good question I think.

Also, I can only assume grace only also means Jesus was wrong in the Sheep and the Goats parable, and we no no longer have to help the poor in order to make heaven.

Easy peasy salvation, people love it. :)
I think the problem is a combination of a religious profession and then doing good religious works (not the ones helping anyone else or any of the good works that show love and care for others, but "churchy" stuff).

You are right about easy believerism. I have said in other threads that true conversion is not just putting on the "badge" of Christianity and then making out that they are saved by "grace" so they can wear the Christian uniform and then do what they like.

True conversion is a work of the Holy Spirit in the believer, and God only does it with true hearted, unhypocritical souls. If He sees even a small hint of hypocrisy, He wont convert the person and will leave them in their sins so they will fall into hell with all the other "christian" badge wearing hypocrites.

A true conversion is a complete transformation of the heart toward God and a hatred of sin, mainly in themselves. Many mistake receiving Christ as conversion. But conversion is Christ receiving them! And that must be sought for in private with God until God does the work of transformation in them. Anything else is just getting religion and nothing more - and God won't have a bar of that!

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Nothing left to say in regards to him then. If you believe what he believed all I can say is... wow. I totally disagree with the ultra disturbing things he believed.
I read his biography. That showed me the man behind the teaching, and it gave me a lot more respect for him.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is not a condition, but an included result of trusting in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12). God's word guarantees His word "shall" (Isaiah 55:11) do all which God means, and confessing is one thing His word has us doing > not in order to keep salvation but because we are now with Jesus who has us doing all God's word the way God means . . . more and more as Jesus the Word of God keeps growing in us as our new inner Person > Galatians 4:19.

Also, God has us confessing to one another, plus ministering His healing to one another >

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

Our mutual confessing and mutual healing prayer helps to get us "healed" of what in our nature makes us able to sin and then suffer because of the weakness of our nature. And we become "healed" more and more together with God, instead, in His love. We, then, also become "healed" more into oneness with one another, with God as our connection in the body of Jesus.

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

I personally understand, Jason, that this union is almighty and God wins out in our union, to change us to become more and more how He is. Plus, this is God's word guaranteed to succeed in all He means > Isaiah 55:11.

So, if we have trusted in Jesus, all God's word means is guaranteed; we are not only given a ticket guaranteeing Heaven after we die, but now we are gaining all His word commands in us and our life with God and one another. Therefore, confessing and other things are not conditions . . . really . . . but guaranteed inclusions, I think :) And in case a person is not getting the correction which brings this perfection in God's love (1 John 4:17), Hebrews 12:8 to me means the person is not a child of God, never has been saved, since a child of God does get this correction . . . how God is able to succeed, not merely what we can will ourselves to do >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

But, yes, I still might have times when it is not obvious I am doing well in this. So, I trust You, God, to know who and how I really am, and to do what You please. You are the Good Judge to know what to do with every one of us.
Awesome posts you guys!

I think all of that/those are not conditions but are "guaranteed inclusions" of, the very first thing being His calling you, which already happened long, long ago, Anyway, the very first thing being His calling you (Drawing or having drawn you) into a (eventually over some time) very personal (deep, intimate) relationship with Him, and that "it", all of "this" you guys are saying and posting and talking about having and doing and being and possessing and/or "becoming" is because "He chose it for us" and is really in no way because of us, not really, but/and/cause we will all be a "certain way", (way that we should have at least some things in common) (and perhaps we could build on those?) but, we will all be (or become) a certain way, and act/be (or become) a certain way, because of "Him" basically, and not us really... Cause he already di it all from the foundation of the World, before you ever born, thought of or ever conceived of maybe...

Our God is an Awesome God!, Glory Be to God!

Love the posts...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have known some OSAS proponents who think you can sin as much as you want and you are still saved. I sometimes think some people (not you) hide this fact by saying that we should live holy. But there is still some level of condoning sin in the OSAS belief (even if one were not to think this way). For OSAS folk or the Belief Alone Camp all say King David was saved while he committed his sins of adultery and murder. They say it is not condoning sin, but it is condoning sin because one is saying that if David is saved in his sins, then that means we can be, too. Sure, David repented or confessed of his sins to God. But is confession of sin all it takes? Is that what saves? According to what you said, confession after coming to God by faith does not effect one's salvation. So it really would not matter if David confessed or not according to your belief. Unless of course you want to change your belief and say that confession is necessary part of the salvation equation if a believer sins.
Genuine conversion is what saves a person. And it is only God who can do it in a believer. A person cannot convert themselves. It is a total transformation of the heart. It is not going forward and receiving Christ. It is not conviction of sin, and it is not becoming religion and attending church. It is not even prayer and Bible Study. We can do all these things ourselves under the banner of religion. But it is God only who can convert a person to Christ. A person can accept Christ, but Christ will not accept him or her until God does the work of conversion in their heart. It does not come automatically. It needs to be sought for of God in the private prayer room, and not to leave that place until one knows they have been truly converted to Christ. If that does not happen, the soul is still lost regardless of the Christian profession.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is not a thread about Dr Prince. But I am fully aware of ALL of his teachings. I personally knew him.
That makes all the difference. I was absolutely impressed with his biography and the things God took him through in his life. I don't think I want to be standing beside him in the judgment!!

Upvote 0