Do you have to keep confessing sin through out your life to be saved? (See 1 John 1:9)

Do you have to keep confessing sin through out your life to be saved?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe based on the Bible that the answer to this question would be a resounding.... "Yes."
This is based primarily upon 1 John 1:9
(But we can see it expressed in other verses in the Bible).

What do you say?
And can you support your belief on this with the Bible?
If so, then please provide the verses.

Thank you.

Oh, and also please vote in the poll, too.

Thank you.

And may God bless you all this fine day.

Side Note:

The poll options only allow me to say so much.
I wish I could add more words to the poll options but I cannot.
Anyways, it is implied that if you confess sin, it is also required that you have:

(a) A belief in Jesus and
(b) To confess those sins to Jesus.
(b) A Godly sorrow as a part of confessing sins.​

If you disagree, then vote in the option that says, "Yes (Other, - please explain)"
If you voted wrong or if you feel you have changed your mind on this topic at some point, you are free to change your vote in the poll. Thank you; And may God bless you.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rather than "strive to live holy," I believe that must "strive to live obedient [to the Holy Spirit]." That is the only part of "holiness" that we have an obligation to. Everything else is covered by grace, but obedience vs. disobedience is an expression of our will in that equation. And 1 John 1:9 is a fail-safe in that regard.

This question really boils down to Conditional Security vs. Eternal Security once again.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not enough to admit to sin, we have to be sorry for failing.
A routine of saying sorry without meaning it is meaningless.

Yes, I agree. 2 Corinthians 7:10 comes to mind.
I wish the poll options are editable and I could add more words to them.
Anyways, it is implied that:

(b) A Godly sorrow is a part of confessing sins here.

I will add these points to the OP (So as to help people vote better).

Note: A person can change their vote.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Rather than "strive to live holy," I believe that must "strive to live obedient [to the Holy Spirit]." That is the only part of "holiness" that we have an obligation to. Everything else is covered by grace, but obedience vs. disobedience is an expression of our will in that equation. And 1 John 1:9 is a fail-safe in that regard.

This question really boils down to Conditional Security vs. Eternal Security once again.

Hebrews 12:14 says, ..."without holiness, no man shall see the Lord" is in reference or context to obedience. The first half of Hebrews 12:14 essentially says to make peace with all men (Which is a part of seeing God, too). So I believe strive to live holy is the same as striving to live obedient. But to just strive to live obedient in some people's minds does not mean that they MUST live obedient to be saved, though. Some think that just making the effort is what counts but one does not actually have to overcome grievous sin at some point in their life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
We are to repent of our sin nature, itself; the non-stop desire to fulfill the lusts of the flesh. When we confess our inability to stop sinning and cry out to God to take over our desires, He does, by baptizing us in His Holy Spirit. Now, we are dead to sin, and not in the flesh but in the Spirit. Our conscience becomes supersensitive to have power to avoid all tempations.

1 John 1:9 is how to become a Spirit-filled and guided Christian, not something we continually need to do. Ideally, we should only have to repent of our sin nature once, but we still have free will and live in a fallen world with many temptations bombarding us non-stop. This is why we must guard our hearts and choose what we "let in" wisely. That has to do with relationships, and especially entertainment. Hollywood is owned by the devil. You can see the hidden (or not so hidden) agenda to desensitize us to what is right and what is wrong, i.e., every new show has homosexuals. That is by design.

cc: @Jason0047

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not enough to admit to sin, we have to be sorry for failing.
A routine of saying sorry without meaning it is meaningless.

I updated my OP (Original Post) with a "Side Note." on explaining the voting options.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are to repent of our sin nature, itself; the non-stop desire to fulfill the lusts of the flesh. When we confess our inability to stop sinning and cry out to God to take over our desires, He does, by baptizing us in His Holy Spirit. Now, we are dead to sin, and not in the flesh but in the Spirit. Our conscience becomes supersensitive to have power to avoid all tempations.

1 John 1:9 is how to become a Spirit-filled and guided Christian, not something we continually need to do. Ideally, we should only have to repent of our sin nature once, but we still have free will and live in a fallen world with many temptations bombarding us non-stop. This is why we must guard our hearts and choose what we "let in" wisely. That has to do with relationships, and especially entertainment. Hollywood is owned by the devil. You can see the hidden (or not so hidden) agenda to desensitize us to what is right and what is wrong, i.e., every new show has homosexuals. That is by design.

Option 3 in the poll reflects this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know, that's why I chose it.

Okay. Cool.

Well, maybe you will agree or disagree: But I also believe that some believers do take more time to mature than others. So confession of sin is a way to help them to overcome their sin (Hence the words, "cleanse us from all unrighteousness."). Not every believer goes from zero to hero overnight. They have to learn to first study God's Word (know His commands in the NT) and learn to apply some of them (Note: For example: I did not know that seeking after riches (or to be rich) was wrong until I read that in the Bible.). Every man has to work out their salvation with fear and trembling. This does not mean that the person who is struggling with sin and is seeking to overcome sin (genuinely) is given a free pass. They must have victory in overcoming sin (at some point) because that is a part of their faith in Christ and their trust in what He has done for them (Ephesians 5:25-27, Titus 2:14, 1 John 1:7, Hebrews 5:9).

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

I believe based on the Bible that the answer to this question would be a resounding.... "Yes."
This is based primarily upon 1 John 1:9
(But we can see it expressed in other verses in the Bible).

What do you say?
And can you support your belief on this with the Bible?
If so, then please provide the verses.

Thank you.

Oh, and also please vote in the poll, too.

Thank you.

And may God bless you all this fine day.

Side Note:

The poll options only allow me to say so much.
I wish I could add more words to the poll options but I cannot.
Anyways, it is implied that if you confess sin, it is also required that you have:

(b) A Godly sorrow as a part of confessing sins.​

If you disagree, then vote in the option that says, "Yes (Other, - please explain)"
If you voted wrong or if you feel you have changed your mind on this topic at some point, you are free to change your vote in the poll. Thank you; And may God bless you.
So long as when you say confess your sins, you mean confess them to the Lord, then yes.
Verses(Romans 10:10; Psalm 32:5; James 1:9)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So long as when you say confess your sins, you mean confess them to the Lord, then yes.

Yes, of course. Christians generally believe Christ is their mediator between God (the Father) and man. Christians believe Jesus is their advocate (1 John 2:1). But I will update my OP on the voting options to reflect this fact.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, of course. Christians generally believe Christ is their mediator between God (the Father) and man. Christians believe Jesus is their advocate (1 John 2:1). But I will update my OP on the voting options to reflect this fact.
Just making sure, some believe otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

But I also see that believers can also (not at the expense of the necessity of confessing sins to Jesus - mind you) that a believer can also say, "forgive us of our debts" to the Father in the Lord's prayer in Jesus's name, too.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
But I also see that believers can also (not at the expense of the necessity of confessing sins to Jesus - mind you) that a believer can also say, "forgive us of our debts" to the Father in the Lord's prayer in Jesus's name, too.
Yes, they can speak directly to the Lord and when they do so they are coming before him in Christ's name. Christ is still the mediator in the situation though since we are speaking to the Father by Christ.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. Cool.

Well, maybe you will agree or disagree: But I also believe that some believers do take more time to mature than others. So confession of sin is a way to help them to overcome their sin (Hence the words, "cleanse us from all unrighteousness."). Not every believer goes from zero to hero overnight. They have to learn to first study God's Word (know His commands in the NT) and learn to apply some of them (Note: For example: I did not know that seeking after riches (or to be rich) was wrong until I read that in the Bible.). Every man has to work out their salvation with fear and trembling. This does not mean that the person who is struggling with sin and is seeking to overcome sin (genuinely) is given a free pass. They must have victory in overcoming sin (at some point) because that is a part of their faith in Christ and their trust in what He has done for them (Ephesians 5:25-27, Titus 2:14, 1 John 1:7, Hebrews 5:9).

Don't forget, when you first repent (some never do!) we are cleansed from all unrighteousness. That means the sin nature, itself, not just our past sins. What we have to "grow" in are the fruit of the Spirit, and the trespasses unwittingly committed while walking in the Spirit and while our fruit is still immature. But lawlessness is something a true Christian cannot do.

I see that many teachers look at the lives of Christians who have never truly repented, and have never been given the Holy Spirit and assume there is a "process" of sanctification. I don't see that in the Word. Sanctification is not a process, but happens as soon as we receive the power of the Holy Spirit. We are set apart unto good works. We are free from sin, and thus live in victory going from glory to glory. It is glorification that becomes the "process" to perfection.

This is my own teaching from what I have observed. You may not agree, and that's okay. But my fear is that there are many in the church that will never see the pearly gates who believed their present and future sins are forgiven.

Upvote 0