Dec 29, 2004
✟174,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was once Catholic, raised Catholic actually, now that I'm no longer catholic I feel much better, freer in Christ.

Besides, those that take communion are no more healthy than the rest of us Christians. Unless that's not what you're saying.

I was once Evangelical, raised in it, now I'm no longer Evangelical and I feel much better, freer in Christ.

Christ is in the Eucharist. The Church is the Hospital for Sinners. Christ is the Great Physician. We need the medicine for what ails us.

Upvote 0

nomerhunks

Jul 6, 2011
Singapore
Visit site
✟15,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do attend mass every Sunday as this is one way I can express my thanks and praise to God for all the blessings I have received and will continue to receive from Him. This is also the right time to ask for forgiveness for the sins you have commited.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe Christians need Church for at least two reasons.

1. Paul said not to forsake the assembly of the brethren together
Hebrews 10.25

2. Paul said to submit to the people in spiritual Authority (leaders) in our lives because they watch over our souls
Hebrews 13.17
John said he had authority in spiritual matters in the body of Christ
3 John v9

We are exhorted to stay together
The bible teaches that there are men of women of God who have spiritual authority over us and that we need to be obedient to them and those people watch over us and take care of us. In order to be connected to that authority and it's purpose you have to be a part of the body of Christ as a people and without a church home that isn't completed well.

The Apostles went about preaching and teaching in churches, establishing churches, staying with the people in churches, meeting the needs of churches, God often spoke directly to pastors and church leaders when he concerned their church. In Revelations God spoke about seven churches and how they were doing. God is all about churches. Paul spoke about the body moving as a community in all it's different parts and people and said that one part doesn't really do anything on it's own and that the body can't say to one part that it doesn't need it. We need each other and the best way to stay together is to go to church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What in Heck is even the POINT of being a Christian if you aren't going to Church? The fish bumperstickers?

I really hope the answer isn't the trite "personal relationship with Jesus" sans explanation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, you can do a lot of worship and growth without church. Church is very beneficial though, and also a way to worship God, share in the holy sacraments, help and support others and the community. Also, having a strong christian community to help you with struggles is important, as well as a pastor to give new insight into passages for study and meditation later on your own. We do know God wishes for us to join each other in worship and learning, so it has great benefit to Christians.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Created well and commanded to be sick
Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
If you HAD TO go to church, I'd be first in line for hellfire. Fortunately, you don't.

Church CAN be beneficial to some, depending on your spiritual growth and beliefs. For others, it just gets in the way of pursuing God. It all depends on the individual.

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

Yes, it's a very important place and it's where Jesus is always present and where the holy spirit remains whole time, and it's even one of the 10 commandments God gave, or the 2 commandments Jesus gave because when someone loves Jesus, he'll visit him, and he's ALWAYS in the church. And it's just 1h in a whole week.

St Padre Pio said: “If men only appreciated the value of a holy Mass they would need traffic officers at church doors every day to keep the crowds in order.”

You keep telling us it is one of the 10 Commandments to go to church, will you please show us exactly where it says this - thank you :)

Jesus is with us at all times not just for 1 hour in a building on a Sunday morning!

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

If you HAD TO go to church, I'd be first in line for hellfire. Fortunately, you don't.

Church CAN be beneficial to some, depending on your spiritual growth and beliefs. For others, it just gets in the way of pursuing God. It all depends on the individual.

I agree totally. I left the church and found Christ - what a liberation :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You keep telling us it is one of the 10 Commandments to go to church, will you please show us exactly where it says this - thank you :)

Jesus is with us at all times not just for 1 hour in a building on a Sunday morning!

Yes, but the difference is that when we go to church, it is us whose seeking and visiting him not the vica-versa. (The church is God&Jesus home on earth)
And it can be part of these 2 commands : Love God from all your heart and do not put any God before him. (If someone truly loves his God, he should be visiting him, just the way that people visit their loved ones (friends-parents etc.) and imagine you have a dear friend you cant visit?It is impossible except if the distance was really big between both houses.And by going to the church you'd show your appreciation and your respect towards the sacred altar which is very important too.

And it more of a subcommand for "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy". To keep it holy, it is important to visit the church, and nothing is more important in remembering it than remembering the bread&wine celebration and Jesus quotes and praising the lord.

Upvote 0

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy". If you dont rest on Sunday, and do any work, then you should go to church to fulfill it I think, or both to at least complete this commandment as it is and not go much deeper in it, like really keeping it holy by praying for hours and hours and not sinning etc. . So it's pretty much a commandment you can say.I never wanted to go to church when I was younger until I was taught this.And since then, I have never jumped 1 sunday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Celtic D,

I believe I have spoken to you about this before and you got rather hostile about it. It may been a different person though and if so I apologize.

The bible says this

Hebrews 13.17
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

The bible says there are men and women in our lives who have spiritual authority over us, you have to be in church, churches, a part of the community in order to do be a part of this and you are commanded to be. You are under spiritual authority and you must obey it and that authority is not Jesus, it is men and women in this world who have spiritual authority over us.

John said some people refused to listen to his "authority" John the Apostle said he had spiritual authority in the church of Christ. This established structure and indicates that that we are supposed to be a part of it.

Hebrews 10.25
not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Were supposed to meet together, churches facilitate that, there really isn't another way to do that without churches.

Acts 2.46
and day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts.

In the book of acts they were faithful to meet together in the temple (church) that's the example given to us in the bible.

What did the Apostles do? They went around building churches, preaching to churches, helping churches.

What did God do in Revelations? He spoke to seven different churches, he praised them, corrected them etc. He said each church had a lampstand in heaven. The lampstands in heaven represented CHURCHES...

God is all about church.

At no point does the bible teach anything that directly says or implies that your supposed to NOT attend church.

I am not going to argue, but this is what the word says, if you do not agree then I will let it drop.

Upvote 0

wesleychapel

Aug 18, 2011
✟7,665.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
good afternoon, i see you got such a thread.....I must say if you love god, and i know you do. you must give god your complete life. and yes ...do go to church, because god has required us to. church on tv is ok...but you need to be there in the mist. hebrews 10:25 do not forsake the assembley of each other, that means going to church. praising god, testimony of the good needness of god and listen to the pastor and she/ he brings the word. be blessed remember if you god you will follow his word and keep the commanments

Upvote 0