Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just thought you could do alot and still praise God without going to church.... any thoughts
thanks
What is Christ's church?

Christ's church is every believer in the world.
That being said that Christ's church is people and
not denominations or buildings, we are still told to get together
with others who believe in Christ for our mutual benefit and for
God's purpose and plan to be fulfilled for those in Christ.

Hebrews 10
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together,
as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and
so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

So above we see that we should not forsake our getting together with believers.

Next we see that gifts are given for the purpose of ministering to each other in the body of Christ.

It would be hard to minister your gift or receive from anothers gift if you never get together.

Hebrews 4
11 And he (Jesus) gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and
some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry,
for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Here are some more gifts...

1 Corinthians 12

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body,
being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

So you can see that it is important to get together with other
believers but it doesn't always have to be what we normally consider a "church".

You can get together with other believers in a home or smaller group
and you would still be assembling yourself together with other
members of the body of Christ.

In China the Christians gather in small groups.
The government has banned the unofficial church and has
created a state church, so the believers must meet in
smaller home "churches" to avoid persecution from the government.

Size is not what is important but to gather together in Christ's name is.
Something very special happens when we come together in Christ,
He shows up.

Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in My name,
I am there in the midst of them.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it's a very important place and it's where Jesus is always present and where the holy spirit remains whole time, and it's even one of the 10 commandments God gave, or the 2 commandments Jesus gave because when someone loves Jesus, he'll visit him, and he's ALWAYS in the church. And it's just 1h in a whole week.

St Padre Pio said: “If men only appreciated the value of a holy Mass they would need traffic officers at church doors every day to keep the crowds in order.”

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it's a very important place and it's where Jesus is always present and where the holy spirit remains whole time, and it's even one of the 10 commandments God gave, or the 2 commandments Jesus gave because when someone loves Jesus, he'll visit him, and he's ALWAYS in the church. And it's just 1h in a whole week.

St Padre Pio said: “If men only appreciated the value of a holy Mass they would need traffic officers at church doors every day to keep the crowds in order.”

Actually, Jesus is everywhere, not just in a church. Where two or three come together, He is there. Doesn't need to be church, just two or three believers.

Upvote 0

blankCrossfire

Hebrews 4:15-16
Jun 20, 2011
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian
Struggled with this question for a while.
People told me I wasn't a Christian or didn't love God if I didn't go to church which was a huge turn off and made me rage because the same could be said about people who just go to church to get right with God and then do whatever they want for the rest of the week. But I realized after removing myself from a community of like minded people for such a long time that I was kind of going insane.

It's good to be around people who share your beliefs. They will only help you grow. While I believe you can still grow outside of the church, it's pleasing to God that you partake in his word and worship with others.

Upvote 0

lovemygod316

Jul 8, 2011
✟15,199.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All that was said above is wise council. I'd just like to add that it just feels good to be around other Christians. The world is full of people that think we are crazy at best, and vicious monsters at worst. So it feels good to be with other people that, while they are going through their own lives and have their own issues, are all coming together to worship God and praise Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

ephesians4:2

Sep 13, 2010
✟1,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Pal Handy did a good job of finding scripture pertaining to this question.

By no means does going to church make you a Christian or saved. However it never hurts to go as long as you've got a good God-fearing pastor preaching the word.

God and Jesus dont dwell in houses built by human hands. They dwell in the hearts of the faithful believers. Your heart is a church of Christ.

Acts 17:24
The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands

Last edited:
Reactions: liars_paradox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Forgiven828

Jun 25, 2011
FL
✟8,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Going to church, for me, means that I am seeking a better relationship with my Lord. I am putting myself in an environment that is pleasing to Him. By going, I surround myself with Brothers and Sisters who feel the desire to worship as I do. Singing praises to Him lifts Him up and makes my heart soar!

All of this can be done in a building we call church or in the living room of a friend. Wherever we are, He is there with us.

The feeling of His pure Love enveloping you, is what will keep you going back for more!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
there are some things that a person can do in attending and worshiping with a church body that they can't do by themselves...

counsel and receive counsel
teach and be taught
work together
corporate praise and worship
fellowship
testify of God's goodness and mercy
show mercy
be humble towards another
share a meal
pray for another
be prayed for
encourage and be encouraged
weep with someone
be comforted
point another person to God

the list goes on, but there are times in our lives when we need these things.
you will find the counterfit of them in the world, but they will lack God's touch and not be inspired by Him. and so they will be empty gestures and will leave you searching and wanting more.
Ony in God can you be satisfied, can your thirst be quenched and your hunger slacked, and your soul be filled to overflowing.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just thought you could do alot and still praise God without going to church.... any thoughts
thanks

I have to go to church- because otherwise I wouldn't be able to partake of the Fountain of Immortality- the medicine for what ails us- the Body and Blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have to go to church- because otherwise I wouldn't be able to partake of the Fountain of Immortality- the medicine for what ails us- the Body and Blood of Christ.

Not all of us are of the religions that partake of communion each week. Since I have become a Christian I have stayed within the non-denom circle. I have only had communion once and that was on Easter.

Not all believe that you must have it each week.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not all of us are of the religions that partake of communion each week. Since I have become a Christian I have stayed within the non-denom circle. I have only had communion once and that was on Easter.

Not all believe that you must have it each week.

Yes- I'm aware. I used to be part of that religion where communion was pointless. Christians need the Body and Blood of Christ. Besides we're told in scripture not to forsake assembling with others.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Yes- I'm aware. I used to be part of that religion where communion was pointless. Christians need the Body and Blood of Christ.

I was once Catholic, raised Catholic actually, now that I'm no longer catholic I feel much better, freer in Christ.

Besides, those that take communion are no more healthy than the rest of us Christians. Unless that's not what you're saying.

Besides, I am saved.

Upvote 0