Do you have the Holy Spirit? Do you have the Gift of tongues?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes - the Holy Spirit gives "Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit." I Cor 12:4

and
"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy."? (I Cor 14:1)

In reference to tongues:
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." (I Cor 12:28).

Some Biblical purposes for tongues:
-Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God (I Cor 14:4)
-Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit (Rom 8:26-27).
-Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds (Eph 6:18-19)
-Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation - (I Cor 12:10; 14:5, 26)
-Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity (I Cor 14:14-15)
-Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues ( Acts 10)
-Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not learned by the speaker). (Acts 2: 4, 6. 8).
(Saint Steven, a CF poster, gave permission to use his basic list).

Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is correct.
I do believe however, that we have all been called to share the Gospel as often as possible. And when doing this, the Holy Spirit will help with the words to say. And that in a way is my original point. The Holy Spirit was given so that we would be His witnesses. The Spirit will give us the boldness and clarity. We have all been given the gift of speech and so, we need to get out there and spread the Good News.
Many believers think that it is mainly up to those who have the gift of evangelism. But we have all been called.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Yes - the Holy Spirit gives "Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit." I Cor 12:4

and
"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy."? (I Cor 14:1)

In reference to tongues:
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." (I Cor 12:28).

Some Biblical purposes for tongues:
-Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God (I Cor 14:4)
-Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit (Rom 8:26-27).
-Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds (Eph 6:18-19)
-Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation - (I Cor 12:10; 14:5, 26)
-Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity (I Cor 14:14-15)
-Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues ( Acts 10)
-Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not learned by the speaker). (Acts 2: 4, 6. 8).
(Saint Steven, a CF poster, gave permission to use his basic list).

Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17)
Nothing presented here is sound doctrine. It is twisted misrepresentations of scripture.

Psalm 78: 36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant.

Mysticism is a cancer in the church. Many who are deceived thereby are not genuine in their profession of salvation.

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing presented here is sound doctrine. It is twisted misrepresentations of scripture.

Psalm 78: 36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant.

Mysticism is a cancer in the church. Many who are deceived thereby are not genuine in their profession of salvation.
Yes, people think that they hear still small voices.... The Hebrew there actually means: "A total silence." (The type of silence that would be very uncomfortable. I made a video on that. Click it below.

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amusing.

Received grace - laughing at your post.

Might want to study more beginnIng with -
"Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant." I Cor 12:1

'"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." I Cor 14:1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Amusing.

Received grace - laughing at your post.

Might want to study more beginnIng with -
"Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant." I Cor 12:1

'"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." I Cor 14:1
These mysteries are only revealed by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

2Thess 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

Inhocsigno

Dec 20, 2007
✟26,773.00
Faith
Lutheran
Yes, and the promise is in Acts 2:47.... And the Lord added to their midst daily those who were being saved. It can happen again. We sing this Song here in South America. We went to the studio and recorded it. You can download it. Acts. 2:42, 47

One of our favorite and often cited declarations from Acts! So glad to hear it's being used in such a wonderful way with congregations.

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of our favorite and often cited declarations from Acts! So glad to hear it's being used in such a wonderful way with congregations.
Thank you so much! We love singing Scripture Songs. The very Words of God Himself!

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have zero choice which gift or gifts the Holy Spirit decides to give me.
There are a lot He has and it's at our discretion to cultivate them as it seems clear to us at any time and stick with people who will help us. For instance, share insights from meanings of Holy Scripture.

I know I don't seem to be an evangelist but am particularly interested in everything else, somehow - not as boss (tongues haven't come in to it so far).

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit is given the instant one receives Christ as Savior. It is how we go from dead in trespass and sin to a new creature in Christ.

Only new creatures in Christ can be filled and used of God to testify of Christ. The gospel is a mystery to those who are lost. Those who are in Christ are to reveal Christ in their testimony of how they were saved.
Distinct assurance of having been empowered (undramatic in itself) is by some more firmly believed in if teachings are more distinct. Materialistic, mystical prescriptions sparked a backlash suppressing all belief altogether.

"Only new creatures in Christ can be filled and used of God to testify of Christ." Yes exactly.

The gifts received after Ascension are entailed in the purpose and meaning of the teaching and inbreathing before Ascension. The underlying norm is to be taught and receive both parts together. When one has first been taught indistinctly one may catch-up and believe the rest (unobtrusively) (as happened to some people in Acts).

I think legalists had been taught indistinctly or manipulatively and that made them prone to being turned into meddlers.

. . . And can have assurance we shall be saved, also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WiSteel79

Oct 20, 2023
Wisconsin
✟9,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Still super new to all of this, even through raised and worked in churches in my twenties. Understood about asking for forgiveness, it wasn’t till I asked for the gift of the Holy Spirit everything changed. It wasn’t only the Bible that made sense, I could hear the Lord speaking to my heart. Because within a few moments as the tears cleared, heard Him say “now bend your fingers.” To give context due to the reflex sympathetic dystrophy in my body lost the muscle around the middle joints of right index and middle finger. My doctor couldn’t get them to bend down all the way anymore.

Without thinking about it I listen, and on the day I asked for the gift of the Spirit. Both fingers can now bend down fully again. When I saw my doctor also a believer he had tears in his eyes because he loves to see when God is really at work in people’s lives.

Also before the gift of the Spirit didn’t understand the Bible or worshipping at all. Now the words change and God is leading and teaching me daily. Know why people would raise their hands and why people jump and dance during times of worship. They are celebrating our Lord and King.

I was saying some strange words at the time but I was by myself, and couldn’t spell them if I tried. I don’t know if that’s tongues or not due to being alone. I was healed to a point because part of the testimony I’m meant to share has to do with every type of pain. The pain that so many many deal with alone and in the dark, they need the light of Christ. Still new but called to serve those that are ignored and lost in worlds of physical, mental, and emotional pain.

• Winner
Reactions: OldAbramBrown
Upvote 0