Do you have the Holy Spirit? Do you have the Gift of tongues?

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The other day I found a quote from brother Yun (Chinese Pastor). Since then, I have been thinking a lot about his quote and I have also been reading Acts where the disciples were given the gift of tongues.
Here is the quote:

“The church today lacks this. The Holy Spirit descended as a tongue. It is the Spirit that transforms our tongues. Those that couldn’t talk became preachers. The disciples received a message. They received power, clarity and boldness and they started preaching the Gospel.”

Before the Holy Spirit comes on the early disciples in the upper room, and before Jesus ascended to heaven, Jesus said in Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” So, those who received the Holy Spirit, will tell everyone about Jesus. They will be his witnesses. They will not hold back, and God will give them the gift of speech. The Holy Spirit gives us a drive to fulfil the great commission.

We see in Acts 2:11 that, when the believers received the Holy Spirit, that they spoke about the things of God. And since the people listening were from all over the world, the Spirit also gave the believers the ability to speak in foreign languages so that others may know about the wonderful works of God.

Today, we who have the Holy Spirit, we will speak to everyone about the goodness of God. Just as Acts 1:8 says. We have received power, clarity and boldness to tell of the Good News to those that do not believe, and we will do it in such a way that those listening will understand. Thus, we have the gift of tongues, albeit, in our native language, English. So, I believe that those who have the Holy Spirit will go and tell as many people in our country about the Good News as possible. It is a fire that God has put there within us. And it does not need to be in a foreign language. (Though, God can bless someone to be able to speak in another language if needed)

Acts 2:1-11 says, “When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. They were amazed and astonished, saying, “Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? “And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs—we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.”

So, I believe that all who have the Holy Spirit will speak forth the Good News. The Holy Spirit was given so that we would be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. We are to go outside the church and speak to as many as possible.

NOTE: Even though we speak with clarity and unbelievers understand, they can still choose not to believe. Some love their sin more than God and some are not wise. Others will have deaf ears, hearing it clearly but not perceiving it.

Last edited:

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have the sweet sweet holy Spirit you have tongues. Now the gift of tongues thats different according to what I read and understand.. its what I believe. When they asked if I wanted the holy spirit I said yes he then reads only what the word says as in Luke 11:13 and a few others then asks again if I wanted it I say yes he prays super short then just stops says "you got it". No one says a word .. nothing happened I get up I go to sit down the second I set TONGUES just came out. Now I don't believe God loves me more or gave me something only a few can have.

Some "denominations" that believed in Luke 11 13 being baptized with the holy spirit and then all spoke in tongues they also believed and did go to other nations where God would give some the gift of tongues so they could share the gospel to people in a language they never spoke before. Now allot of that has stopped today. So from what I read and understand anyone that asks the Father for the holy spirit will get it and will speak in tongues. As for the gift of tongues...that's His call

Now something that is not true, un-ture "the Church today lacks this". Over 30 million Churches in the world how in the world would anyone know "the Church lacks this". Yes I understand how you mean it yet the way you said it is not true. How many in my own city? No clue.. I would have to go to each one for months watch listen and also talk to the pastor. Then am I to say understand that what I personally believe is what those Churches lack? :)

SOOO do I have the holy spirit..yes I had to ask and I speak in tongues but do not have the gift.. He can still use me with any gift He chooses

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now something that is not true, un-ture "the Church today lacks this". Over 30 million Churches in the world how in the world would anyone know "the Church lacks this". Yes I understand how you mean it yet the way you said it is not true. How many in my own city? No clue.. I would have to go to each one for months watch listen and also talk to the pastor. Then am I to say understand that what I personally believe is what those Churches lack?
Acts 1:8 says, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses ....... to the ends of the earth.”"
I believe that the Holy Spirit was given out so that the Gospel would be spread. That we would be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. The Holy Spirit creates a fire within you to go forwards in boldness and clarity. I know that many profess to have the Holy Spirit, but their actions seem to differ. If they did have the Holy Spirit, then they would have a drive to speak the Gospel to as many people as possible. But instead, they make friends and then when they feel comfortable, they may say the Gospel. Many churches have put their faith in friendships over proclaiming the Gospel.

So, the Holy Spirit gives us a boldness and a clarity. This clarity was increase with those in the upper room. They were given more clarity so that those from other nations could hear and understand. This extra clarity was in the form of another language (gift of tongues). In my county, I do not need to speak in other languages, and so God has given me a clarity in English (gift of tongues).

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit is given the instant one receives Christ as Savior. It is how we go from dead in trespass and sin to a new creature in Christ.

Only new creatures in Christ can be filled and used of God to testify of Christ. The gospel is a mystery to those who are lost. Those who are in Christ are to reveal Christ in their testimony of how they were saved.

Reactions: 1Tonne
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit is given the instant one receives Christ as Savior. It is how we go from dead in trespass and sin to a new creature in Christ.

Only new creatures in Christ can be filled and used of God to testify of Christ. The gospel is a mystery to those who are lost. Those who are in Christ are to reveal Christ in their testimony of how they were saved.
I do agree with what you are saying but I also think that we need to be careful that we do not put our testimony over saying the Gospel. The reason I say this is because, sometimes, our testimony will not tell of what Christ done on the cross. For instance, someone's testimony could be that they audibly heard the voice of God, and they were amazed and from there they believed. This does not tell of His great sacrifice, nor does it tell of the reason why we needed His sacrifice. But it does give the reason for why the person believes. So, our testimony is the reason why we have come to believe, and it is good to say. But the Gospel should always be said most of all.

“Your testimony is not the Gospel.” R. C. Sproul

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Whole belief comes from whole teaching. The whole church was present from Ascension, believing in all Jesus' teachings and not only part, and supplicating. What occurred on pentecost and in Joel was the consequence of all of that and not only part. Ascension meant that all the gifts were distributed unvetoed, because they had listened and they had developed belief. The gospel was the gospel because it reflected all Jesus' teaching and not only part. The cry of Jesus and the baptist's listeners was "but how?" How shall we have the integrity to give to others also?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 1:8 says, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses ....... to the ends of the earth.”"
I believe that the Holy Spirit was given out so that the Gospel would be spread. That we would be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. The Holy Spirit creates a fire within you to go forwards in boldness and clarity. I know that many profess to have the Holy Spirit, but their actions seem to differ. If they did have the Holy Spirit, then they would have a drive to speak the Gospel to as many people as possible. But instead, they make friends and then when they feel comfortable, they may say the Gospel. Many churches have put their faith in friendships over proclaiming the Gospel.

So, the Holy Spirit gives us a boldness and a clarity. This clarity was increase with those in the upper room. They were given more clarity so that those from other nations could hear and understand. This extra clarity was in the form of another language (gift of tongues). In my county, I do not need to speak in other languages, and so God has given me a clarity in English (gift of tongues).
Hi bless you but you still didn't backup your statement “The church today lacks this.". I can name hundreds of Churches that do not lack this. So like I said I understand what your trying to say but just lumping all together based on a personal belief/doctrine not wise. Some Churches lack it for sure but some don't. When you find out every single word to Christ matters...

As for Acts 1:8 amen.. I agree.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi bless you but you still didn't backup your statement “The church today lacks this.". I can name hundreds of Churches that do not lack this. So like I said I understand what your trying to say but just lumping all together based on a personal belief/doctrine not wise. Some Churches lack it for sure but some don't. When you find out every single word to Christ matters...

As for Acts 1:8 amen.. I agree.
You are correct. This is a hyperbole, an exaggeration. It is meaning that many, many churches lack this. Not all.

Here is an interesting thought. The Holy Spirit was given so that we would go out and preach the Gospel to the ends of the earth, to all creation (Acts 1:8). So, the Holy Spirit gives us the power, boldness, clarity to preach the Gospel. Now, if we choose not to go out and preach to the lost, are we moving in the Holy Spirit? No, we are not. Are we denying the Holy Spirit within us? Yes, we are. Since we have been given the Holy Spirit, if we then choose to deny its power, are we blaspheming the Holy Spirit? There is a good chance this is correct and that we are blaspheming it by denying it.
Those who have the Holy Spirit should speak the Gospel often. The fear of being ridiculed should not stop them because the drive from the Holy Spirit should push those that have it, to witness to as many as possible. It should be overflowing. But if someone who has the Holy Spirit, allows fear to over-run them, and they choose not to share the Gospel, then they are obviously allowing fear to rule them. This is cowardly. And in Revelation 21:8 it says that the cowardly will be thrown into the lake of fire. This is a scary thought for believers who profess to have the Holy Spirit but do not tell others of Gods great sacrifice.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To speak the Gospel often, includes at its core teaching the whole of Jesus' teachings among ourselves. Then we'll see how we all can help those who do most of the evangelising. Denying Holy Spirit and stealing the bread of life from our fellows began at home, and continued outside.

When we get this right, befrienders will get befriending right as well. It would be good if a fashion could be started, that in each church a cell will pray for good teachings. Then what you say will work better (probably without chocolate bars).

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi bless you but you still didn't backup your statement “The church today lacks this". I can name hundreds of Churches that do not lack this. ...
It wasn't 1Tonne's statement. It was Yun's statement, reproduced without perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have zero choice which gift or gifts the Holy Spirit decides to give me.
Correct. The question becomes, if Jesus was in front of you right now, and said to you, go and tell as many people as possible the good news of my sacrifice. Would you do it?
Mark 16:15 was said to His disciples. We are His disciples in this time. Are we going to obey in this time?
"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter." Matt 7:21

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Correct. The question becomes, if Jesus was in front of you right now, and said to you, go and tell as many people as possible the good news of my sacrifice. Would you do it?
Mark 16:15 was said to His disciples. We are His disciples in this time. Are we going to obey in this time?
"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter." Matt 7:21
I share the gospel every chance I get. Been doing that since 1980 when I was saved .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I share the gospel every chance I get. Been doing that since 1980 when I was saved .
That is what we need. God has given you a voice. Awesome. Keep it up and look for more opportunities.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟211.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I do not have the gift of tongues but Jesus has transformed my life "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." -Galatians 5:22-23.
That is your choice. But we are all accountable in the end.
Accountable for what my friend? Not speaking in tongues?
"Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."-Romans 12:6-8

"Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills. For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ.
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many.
"-1 Corinthians 12:3-14

If The Holy Spirit distributes these gifts as He wills, how can the person be held responsible for not doing it?

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,561.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Accountable for what my friend? Not speaking in tongues?
No. Accountable for not sharing the Gospel.
The Holy Spirit was given so that we would be God's witnesses throughout the world. Acts 1:8.
Many say that they have the Holy Spirit but then they do not share the Gospel. They are not witnesses. They fill pews and they think that God will save the world without us speaking. See Romans 10:14
Those in the upper room spoke in clarity to the outsiders listening who were from other nations. So, the Holy Spirit gave them the ability to speak in another language so that those outside would understand.
I have not been given the gift of speaking in another language, but I have been given boldness and clarity to speak to others in English about the good news. Those that have the Holy Spirit should get out there and be His witnesses. Weather that is in the workplace, school, university or elsewhere. If we claim to have the Holy Spirit and do not use it, then we are denying it. Denying the Holy Spirit is not a good thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟211.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No. Accountable for not sharing the Gospel.
The Holy Spirit was given so that we would be God's witnesses throughout the world. Acts 1:8.
Many say that they have the Holy Spirit but then they do not share the Gospel. They are not witnesses. They fill pews and they think that God will save the world without us speaking. See Romans 10:14
Those in the upper room spoke in clarity to the outsiders listening who were from other nations. So, the Holy Spirit gave them the ability to speak in another language so that those outside would understand.
I have not been given the gift of speaking in another language, but I have been given boldness and clarity to speak to others in English about the good news. Those that have the Holy Spirit should get out there and be His witnesses. Weather that is in the workplace, school, university or elsewhere. If we claim to have the Holy Spirit and do not use it, then we are denying it. Denying the Holy Spirit is not a good thing.
Ohhh ok sorry. I misread what you wrote and thought you were talking about a doctrine of "Baptism of The Holy Spirit" that's evidenced by Tongues which is in more extreme Pentecostal churches. My bad :heart:

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The other day I found a quote from brother Yun (Chinese Pastor). Since then, I have been thinking a lot about his quote and I have also been reading Acts where the disciples were given the gift of tongues.
Here is the quote:

“The church today lacks this. The Holy Spirit descended as a tongue. It is the Spirit that transforms our tongues. Those that couldn’t talk became preachers. The disciples received a message. They received power, clarity and boldness and they started preaching the Gospel.”

Before the Holy Spirit comes on the early disciples in the upper room, and before Jesus ascended to heaven, Jesus said in Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” So, those who received the Holy Spirit, will tell everyone about Jesus. They will be his witnesses. They will not hold back, and God will give them the gift of speech. The Holy Spirit gives us a drive to fulfil the great commission.

We see in Acts 2:11 that, when the believers received the Holy Spirit, that they spoke about the things of God. And since the people listening were from all over the world, the Spirit also gave the believers the ability to speak in foreign languages so that others may know about the wonderful works of God.

Today, we who have the Holy Spirit, we will speak to everyone about the goodness of God. Just as Acts 1:8 says. We have received power, clarity and boldness to tell of the Good News to those that do not believe, and we will do it in such a way that those listening will understand. Thus, we have the gift of tongues, albeit, in our native language, English. So, I believe that those who have the Holy Spirit will go and tell as many people in our country about the Good News as possible. It is a fire that God has put there within us. And it does not need to be in a foreign language. (Though, God can bless someone to be able to speak in another language if needed)

Acts 2:1-11 says, “When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. They were amazed and astonished, saying, “Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? “And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs—we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.”

So, I believe that all who have the Holy Spirit will speak forth the Good News. The Holy Spirit was given so that we would be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. We are to go outside the church and speak to as many as possible.

NOTE: Even though we speak with clarity and unbelievers understand, they can still choose not to believe. Some love their sin more than God and some are not wise. Others will have deaf ears, hearing it clearly but not perceiving it.
Yes, and the promise is in Acts 2:47.... And the Lord added to their midst daily those who were being saved. It can happen again. We sing this Song here in South America. We went to the studio and recorded it. You can download it. Acts. 2:42, 47

Last edited:
Upvote 0