Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you're at the point and have enough distance to address divinity without the encumbrances you had and the negative reminders. Your perception of God shouldn't rest on your childhood or experiences you had with the church you weren't able to set aside. You weren't in control. But now you are. You can ask questions and explore things with an adult mindset that you couldn't as a youth.

I'm not saying you have to believe in God. I'm saying the decision should be based on the person you're becoming not the one you were long ago. You're in a different place and that's the best time to find answers.

Ever since I was a kid, I was hyper aware of the fact that my Christian peers around me were able to engage in spiritual states that I personally had trouble comprehending or engaging in. The two spiritual states I found mysterious was God's love (or love in general) and submission. God's love being the most unknown to me. I was always bewildered God's love seemed to be a great motivator for many religious people.

Submission, being one I can sort of understand. I was never good at submitting to God. Like love I didn't understand it, nor why God would want his creation to submit to him. I always liked the idea of a submission-less God Seems like this type of view on God is very uncommon. I believe this lack of submission in my faith cut me off from a lot of my Christian peers. I found it impossible for example to speak in tongues or get very into the worship services. Losing balance and even fully fainting on rare occurrences happened during worship services. Curiously these same reactions are described by people who engage in deep submissive states in non-spiritual contexts. Also, curiously. like suffering... submission can be expressed in very diverse states. Whether it be romantic, sexual, platonic or spiritual.

There was only one time I can really remember when I was a Christian that I put real effort into submission to God. Surprisingly I felt something... I didn't like it... I felt hazy... like I was in a drunken stupor. During the middle of it... I wanted to snap out of this trance... but it persisted for a few more hours.

I am sure there are other spiritual states than the two I listed. Right now, though, I consider spiritual submission to be responsible for the more psychedelic states.

I do not see myself practicing those two spiritual states. What do you get out of spirituality? I know little about the love part, if you're able to explain it I'd be very interested. While my loss of faith was traumatic, I did not become an atheist for emotional reasons. My reasons are calm and sober, I lack a belief in a God because of a lack of evidence.

As for the gender wars, I think they're destroying both sides. Looking at the posts on social media is unsettling. Everyone's angry and lashing out. When neither are in a position to oppress on the scale we've seen. They're pulling your strings. I wish both sides would recognize their real enemy and stop fighting one another.

~bella

My hatred of feminism is directly aligned with my psychoanalyzing of my Christian faith. The hostility towards men having problems and uncompromising drive I see within those circles to view women as victims is highly disturbing to me. From observing men all of my life... there is something about masculinity that makes men very sensitive towards women's pain. I will never be part of a movement that doesn't properly acknowledge this... or take appropriate responsible precautions. Feminists come in all different chemical makeups... but sorry.. the movement attracts very masochistic women. I don't see why these types of women wouldn't thrive in feminist environments.

I hate people like Andrew Tate. But for the reasons above... feminism is always going to irk me more. Funnily enough... I think the conservative gender environments have a disturbing romanticization of dominance and submission. I don't like feminism... but what I see there is easier to comprehend compared to the socially conservative environment I grew up in.

I'm glad I don't have children nor ever want any, because I'd feel so helpless and angry about the current environment, I'd have to raise them in.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've heard other religions have a hell before. Regardless... I worry about the afterlife of Christianity the same way you would worry about the afterlife of another religion.
Before what?
Bird flu? I guess it's a good excuse for restaurants to further raise the prices of their menu items.
Lol

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've heard other religions have a hell before. Regardless... I worry about the afterlife of Christianity the same way you would worry about the afterlife of another religion.
You mean hell on earth? That's the thing i have heard in the way you are thinking. Some do think their live's here on earth are hell. But not Christian thinking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ever since I was a kid, I was hyper aware of the fact that my Christian peers around me were able to engage in spiritual states that I personally had trouble comprehending or engaging in.

Is it possible you were pressured or expecting more of yourself than appropriate? Most people don't speak in tongues. It's a spiritual gift and if you lack it that's okay. As for worship, expression is personal. Some are more emotional and others are quiet. Given the setting you described it's understandable why you weren't comfortable and felt different from the rest.

This is where I part ways with modern practices. Church is a continuance of the spiritual education that begins at home. The foundation must be laid by the parents and children should be given the latitude to explore and experience God on their terms. They tell them about God. They rarely discover Him.

Questions are equally important. Everything won't make sense and some things become clearer as they mature. There's a reason why many fly the coop later on. They never developed a relationship with Him. They followed a routine that collapsed later on.

Religion wasn't forced in my home and pastors and priests weren't on pedestals. They were fallible creations just like us and agreement wasn't required. When I didn't go to confession no one made me. When I wouldn't get confirmed no one complained. I always impressed upon my daughter the necessity of choice. She had to choose Him for herself and if she didn't that was her choice as well. I wouldn't strong-arm her.

There was only one time I can really remember when I was a Christian that I put real effort into submission to God. Surprisingly I felt something... I didn't like it... I felt hazy... like I was in a drunken stupor. During the middle of it... I wanted to snap out of this trance... but it persisted for a few more hours.

It sounds ecstatic. Have you read Avila or Lisieux?

What do you get out of spirituality? I know little about the love part, if you're able to explain it I'd be very interested.

My relationship with God is experiential and practical. I recognize there's a lot I don't understand and will never know and it doesn't bother me. I don't adhere to any traditions or blueprints. My desire to know Him is foremost. That requires fellowship between He and I and a willingness to apply what He said. While I can learn from other's experiences I need my own and that's the bedrock of my faith.

Who is He to me? What has He done for me? How has He helped and challenged me? And so on. I can answer those questions with concrete experiences which encourages me and deepens my trust. He guides me like a Father which includes the willingness to correct and nudge me when I'm going off course. I understand the changes won't happen overnight and the journey is purposeful. He loves me as I am and shows me who I'll become under His direction. His desires for me exceed my own and it's humbling.

I love Him because He loves me relentlessly. He's not thwarted by my fears or weaknesses. He doesn't love me less when I fail or err. He's always there encouraging me to try again and believes in me. What human would do the same? We have limits and biases. He sees beauty where others don't. He doesn't put me in a box; He wants me to soar. Why wouldn't I love Him? We love others who give far less.

I've never been the sort of person who learned things the hard way. His directives yield good results and I'm more likely to listen than not. I don't want the consequences for disobedience. That doesn't sound super spiritual but it's true. I'm the same way in the natural. I do what I can to avoid a wreck.

I feel immense peace in His presence and I'm happier too. There's no heaviness or stirring. I'm settled now and content. I spent several years working to reach this point. I dismantled everything until I was emptied. I asked myself throughout the process what do you want? What do you need? What's working and what isn't? Answering the questions brought me to this place and it's liberating.

My hatred of feminism is directly aligned with my psychoanalyzing of my Christian faith. The hostility towards men having problems and uncompromising drive I see within those circles to view women as victims is highly disturbing to me.

I can understand your feelings. I saw a lot of things that troubled me. I don't think men were well esteemed by many. And it was evident when they were out of earshot and we were all together. One day I looked around me and told myself if you want to get married don't listen to them. I didn't want a henpecked man or the semblance of submission. I wanted to follow him.

That's when I learned to keep my own counsel and directed my confidences to the women who mirrored the qualities I respected. I don't listen to women I don't want to emulate. I look at her life and ask myself do you want the same?

And I don't keep company with feminists. I'm polite and we can talk or grab a bite to eat. But she'll never be my friend or in my ear. I don't want to be like her. Rohn was right when he said, "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with."

From observing men all of my life... there is something about masculinity that makes men very sensitive towards women's pain. I will never be part of a movement that doesn't properly acknowledge this... or take appropriate responsible precautions. Feminists come in all different chemical makeups... but sorry.. the movement attracts very masochistic women. I don't see why these types of women wouldn't thrive in feminist environments.

What would you like them to say?

I hate people like Andrew Tate. But for the reasons above... feminism is always going to irk me more.

Andrew Tate is a conversation in itself as are most in that sphere. He's an attractive man with money that's why people listen to him. They've never asked themselves the bigger question can I do the same? You won't get his results and don't say he's encouraging you. False empowerment is equally troubling.

Don't get me wrong he can make good points but you need to be in the place where you can execute what he said (the sensible stuff). The advice must fit your circumstances. If you want to level up that's fine. But set realistic targets.

Now that you mention it I don't think I like any gurus. LOL

Funnily enough... I think the conservative gender environments have a disturbing romanticization of dominance and submission. I don't like feminism... but what I see there is easier to comprehend compared to the socially conservative environment I grew up in.

How so?

I'm glad I don't have children nor ever want any, because I'd feel so helpless and angry about the current environment, I'd have to raise them in.

Yeah, this is a difficult time. You'd have to homeschool and move to the country for normalcy. This is a different world.

~bella

• Friendly
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some people have a sick view of Christianity and treat it as if it were a form of witchcraft. Taking glee in other’s struggles to justify one’s self is just another revelation of character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I told my husband that my son's back was hurting him badly, he told me my son might be starting to also have weather related arthritis.

How on earth did this happen?

Where did the time even go?

How did my son become 40?

With age-related problems to boot?!?!!!

I'm only 55... And life is seeming at it's end... Lol.

Time is a crazy thing!

In a way I don't regret having my son so young though... We grew up together in our own way. But now he's 40.... Hahaha
I can empathize with this. My youngest turned 40 at the end of February. My oldest will turn 45 this June Where did the time go?

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some people have a sick view of Christianity and treat it as if it were a form of witchcraft. Taking glee in other’s struggles to justify one’s self is just another revelation of character.

It's a lot more complicated than someone just taking glee from another's suffering. In fact I suspect for some people who find suffering divine it is a great motivator for them helping others.

A person who is overly concerned about the plight of others is probably more sensitive towards suffering itself.

I do agree though. I do think it says something about the person. I personally believe it's genetic. Christianity or the early exposure of it didn't cause me to find suffering beautiful, but I do believe it helped exasperate it. There are questionable things I see displayed in that world that need calling out.

You can at least understand some of my concerns... right?

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
and no where to say it?

Yes, I do.

Please stop shouting at people in thread titles. It is off-putting and very unnecessary. We can read you just fine without ALL OF THIS SORT OF THING THAT MAKES IT SEEM LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A TANTRUM.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a lot more complicated than someone just taking glee from another's suffering. In fact I suspect for some people who find suffering divine it is a great motivator for them helping others.

A person who is overly concerned about the plight of others is probably more sensitive towards suffering itself.

I do agree though. I do think it says something about the person. I personally believe it's genetic. Christianity or the early exposure of it didn't cause me to find suffering beautiful, but I do believe it helped exasperate it. There are questionable things I see displayed in that world that need calling out.

You can at least understand some of my concerns... right?
I think we are talking about two different things. Say you have a disagreement with a fellow Christian or simply do not like them for whatever reason. One Christian suddenly has a difficulty. Other Christian looks at it as the Lord’s defense and the Lord being on their side. Brags about the Lord defending them and supposedly the Lord forcing the Christian with difficulty to reveal their problem by asking for prayer or whatever. It’s sick, superstitious, and extremely arrogant and cruel. It shows true character. Nobody should delight in another’s difficulty and see it as justification. That’s a schoolyard bully mentality. I hope this clarifies what I meant.

This attitude is prevalent in some evangelical churches amongst the laity.

Last edited:
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I do.

Please stop shouting at people in thread titles. It is off-putting and very unnecessary. We can read you just fine without ALL OF THIS SORT OF THING THAT MAKES IT SEEM LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A TANTRUM.
SORRY

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums