United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pretty much.

A lot of religious trauma that is hard to talk about. I've met a few people online who experienced the same.. but overall I don't really have any outlet to vent.

Also as someone with a language disorder, it's extra hard to accurately express my thoughts.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pretty much.

A lot of religious trauma that is hard to talk about. I've met a few people online who experienced the same.. but overall I don't really have any outlet to vent.

Also as someone with a language disorder, it's extra hard to accurately express my thoughts.
I am sorry. It must be frustrating for you. If I'm understanding what you are saying here. If it's traumatic it seems it would be really important to be able to discuss it with someone. I can't understand what you mean by religious trauma? You don't have to reply to my comments. I'm thinking out loud. God bless.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's a big uproar herE in my neighborhood and I'm in the middle of it.
Since 2016 I've been feeding the stray cats . It was tolerated by all until about a year ago when new neighbors moved.in.
There was a woman that came and trapped them for s and n. She didn't come back so it's getting out of hand controlling their reproducing. I can only afford to feed them.
The police have been involved many. Times because the cats are tormented and killed, etc.
So, sometimes i have come in. Contact with newborns like right now.
This is terrible but i have ponder whether i should consider ending their lives now before they can be abused, killed or starved to death when i leave this world it's a horrible thought except now rather than later is a little easier to accept. I'm convinced the neighbors will hunt them down when I'm gone.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am sorry. It must be frustrating for you. If I'm understanding what you are saying here. If it's traumatic it seems it would be really important to be able to discuss it with someone. I can't understand what you mean by religious trauma? You don't have to reply to my comments. I'm thinking out loud. God bless.

Thank you. I believe I am psychologically better off than I was a few years ago. Each passing year my former spiritual life becomes more and more of a distant hazy memory. I occasionally make short posts about my traumatic religious experience. Usually nothing with any real depth. Back during my early days of being an atheist on this website I used to be more vocal. I just don't have the stomach for it like I used too.

Usually, I just don't comment much about Christianity. I'm really into the psychology of it, but I don't see much here to comment upon.

While I have not read every post made on this website, I have used the search feature and am shocked how I've never really seen any posts talking about similar spiritual experiences I had. The only time being when a Christian woman private messaged me on here in utter shock that someone else had the same spiritual experience as her. While I was in turn shocked that she was so self-aware yet still remained religious.

Even within atheist circles I seldom see it talked about. Occasionally though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. I believe I am psychologically better off than I was a few years ago. Each passing year my former spiritual life becomes more and more of a distant hazy memory. I occasionally make short posts about my traumatic religious experience. Usually nothing with any real depth. Back during my early days of being an atheist on this website I used to be more vocal. I just don't have the stomach for it like I used too.

Usually, I just don't comment much about Christianity. I'm really into the psychology of it, but I don't see much here to comment upon.

While I have not read every post made on this website, I have used the search feature and am shocked how I've never really seen any posts talking about similar spiritual experiences I had. The only time being when a Christian woman private messaged me on here in utter shock that someone else had the same spiritual experience as her. While I was in turn shocked that she was so self-aware yet still remained religious.

Even within atheist circles I seldom see it talked about. Occasionally though.
Do you feel you can tell me about the experience so i can understand? I can't think what it might have been. Don't be pressured though. We will just move on:)
Maybe start by explaining your signature, lol. Are you talking about an experience you had because you are atheist and the other was a believer?

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did anyone watch Oprah? She did look different. Her face was elongated. Maybe from the loss of fat her skin fell. It appeared she didn't wear makeup which wasn't as pretty. I still think it's a dangerous thing to do IMHO

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm glad the F-trend in book titles has waned. It was disconcerting to see a plethora or f-bombs on the shelves. We can do better than that.

The Stanley Cup debacle is equally strange. There's a video where a man jumped the Starbucks counter at Target and stole a box of them. He was tackled at the door by irate shoppers who'd stood in the cold to buy one. You can't make this up.

IMG_9842.jpeg

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad the F-trend in book titles has waned. It was disconcerting to see a plethora or f-bombs on the shelves. We can do better than that.

The Stanley Cup debacle is equally strange. There's a video where a man jumped the Starbucks counter at Target and stole a box of them. He was tackled at the door by irate shoppers who'd stood in the cold to buy one. You can't make this up.

View attachment 344285
I saw that on scripts news i think it was. But i didn't get to see what all the fuss was about, the cup. Must be something special.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw that on scripts news i think it was. But i didn't get to see what all the fuss was about, the cup. Must be something special.

Not at all. Just a plastic cup that's popular that people are fighting for.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you feel you can tell me about the experience so i can understand? I can't think what it might have been. Don't be pressured though. We will just move on:)
Maybe start by explaining your signature, lol. Are you talking about an experience you had because you are atheist and the other was a believer?

Hmm. I guess I'll say I feel like a lot of Christian circles glorify suffering. The church I went to was what I'd call plain and nothing special. Yet martyrdom and suffering was glamorized.

I remember watching a cartoon in Sunday School where these kids traveled back in time to the ancient Roman era. Lol.. I find some of this stuff funny. I can't remember the plot much.. but they wound up being in the colosseum with lions trying to eat them. The cartoon at least had the decency to let them escape. But I remember becoming self aware even at that age.. there was a scene that was just panning through the crowd shouting nasty stuff at the Christians. I remember thinking.. "what are we doing here?" "Why do we have to get up early on Sunday morning to watch this crap?"

As an adult I finally became hyper aware of all this suffering glamorizing and I spent a lot of time having to detox myself from this mindset.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. I guess I'll say I feel like a lot of Christian circles glorify suffering. The church I went to was what I'd call plain and nothing special. Yet martyrdom and suffering was glamorized.

I remember watching a cartoon in Sunday School where these kids traveled back in time to the ancient Roman era. Lol.. I find some of this stuff funny. I can't remember the plot much.. but they wound up being in the colosseum with lions trying to eat them. The cartoon at least had the decency to let them escape. But I remember becoming self aware even at that age.. there was a scene that was just panning through the crowd shouting nasty stuff at the Christians. I remember thinking.. "what are we doing here?" "Why do we have to get up early on Sunday morning to watch this crap?"

As an adult I finally became hyper aware of all this suffering glamorizing and I spent a lot of time having to detox myself from this mindset.
I have the same feelings most of the time and I'm sure you know what people tell you as to why we must suffer. I get it some what. But it's hard to accept why a loving.....and yet he had his own son suffer and die for us. So who am i to complain in comparison. See, the same old song and dance. I said all that to say this. I understand where you're coming from
God bless you. A reminder of how much we should love Jesus, nothing else matters. Thanks for letting me reply and for your answer. Have a nice week:)

• Friendly
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
From my recollection most Christian parents weren't instructing their children at home on spiritual matters. They got most of it from the church and the remainder at school if they attended a religious one. There's pros and cons to that and everything you hear isn't ideal.

The thing that weirded me out about church was the notion of implied trust. Just because you showed up you're okay. But I never agreed with that. We visited a Methodist church in the past and I stopped in the children's area. They had a Sunday school and a nice setup. The kids were singing and laughing and appeared to be enjoying themselves.

The teacher looked at me and said, she'll be okay you can go. My daughter was three years old. I smiled politely and took a seat. There's no way I'd leave her with strangers while I'm elsewhere. She was a little miffed that I didn't leave. But I trust my gut.

I took her to the sanctuary after that and kept her with me. She never went to children's church. There's nothing wrong with it per se. But I would only do it when they're teens. When they're more mature and not as vulnerable. You get all types in those places and most parents are too hands-off in my opinion.

~bella

Upvote 0