Do you have any traditions around Advent?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have an Advent wreath on our dining room table; we light the candles when we have meals together. Mostly that's at dinner, but sometimes other meals if we're together for them. Privately, I usually do some kind of special reading or other devotional activity during Advent.

We also gradually decorate the house for Christmas during Advent -- one new decoration per day -- but that's more leading-up-to-Christmas rather than Advent proper. Still, the house becomes a kind of Advent calendar.

Our church observes Advent, of course, with seasonal hymns and Scripture readings and altar hangings.

Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have an Advent wreath on our dining room table; we light the candles when we have meals together. Mostly that's at dinner, but sometimes other meals if we're together for them. Privately, I usually do some kind of special reading or other devotional activity during Advent.

We also gradually decorate the house for Christmas during Advent -- one new decoration per day -- but that's more leading-up-to-Christmas rather than Advent proper. Still, the house becomes a kind of Advent calendar.

Our church observes Advent, of course, with seasonal hymns and Scripture readings and altar hangings.
I like the idea of lighting candles at dinner time.

I've been really trying to stay consistent with daily Bible reading, I finally finished the book of Matthew. That's a long book lol

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,890.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the idea of lighting candles at dinner time.

I've been really trying to stay consistent with daily Bible reading, I finally finished the book of Matthew. That's a long book lol
LOL! Have you read any in the Old Testament? Lots of long books!

• Haha
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,890.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesss^_^, I'm determined to get through them all though!
Same here. I'm taking my time, I'm in no rush! Bugs me when people say they read the Bible in X many months. Uh huh, sure. What did you learn, exactly? The quiz starts.... NOW! ;)

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We read scripture and are trying to do one thing each day as a family that point others to Christ- serving or volunteering or doing something kind for neighbors , etc... one lovely tradition I want to incorporate is with a Manger scene. Each week you add figures to the nativity and on Christmas eve or the week of Christmas you place the baby Jesus inside.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0