Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is another contradiction. Jesus said, "Repent" in Matthew 3:2. The word repent in Greek is metanoeo which is an action verb and it means a change of mind. In context, repent means a change of mind from unbelief to belief as well as a change of mind from living in darkness (sin) to living in the light (Jesus). So yes, action is required on our part.
No, repent does mean a change of mind. Realizing you are a sinner and in need of a saviour is related to this. This is NOT an action. It is a change of mind to belief on Jesus. It does not mean turning from sin to get saved... If that were the case, everyone would go to hell. NO ONE is sinless. Sanctification comes after salvation, and it is separate. Our actions do not save us. Jesus saves us, not our works.

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Except, according to you, recite the sinner's prayer. :rolleyes:
Did we not already discuss this? Are you now again making the statement that no one got saved ever with the sinner's prayer being a tool or that people can't get saved through method of prayer? You are saying God never uses these methods again? I thought you repented of that when you replied to me last time... But it looks like you haven't, and you really should... For that statement undermines the power of God and what methods he can use and even bears false witness to those who really did get born again by the sinner's prayer, and God hates people who bear false witness against their neighbours.

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is your doctrine, this is not biblical doctrine. Simply reciting the sinners prayer cannot save a person.
The sinner's prayer itself doesn't save, Jesus saves. But the sinner's prayer can be a means to salvation if it is used to get the person to believe on Jesus Christ. It absolutely can be away to get the person to the faith. And if you deny that then be careful because you may be bearing false witness against your neighbour and God hates that because God may have indeed used to sinner's prayer to get people to him.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It does not mean turning from sin to get saved.

Yes it does. The word repent used in context means a change of mind from living in sin. So yes, in context it does means to turn from sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again you are incorrect. The word repent used in context means a change of mind from living in darkness to living in the light. So yes, in context it does means to turn from sin.
Nope, it means a change of mind. Not turning from sin. What do you mean "Again" I'm incorrect? Did you re-read my post? lol

Turning from sin does not save you. This is one of the most dangerous teachings in the church today because it is about works. No one can ever be sinless, that's why we need Jesus. We sin less AFTER we are saved by grace, we are not sinless though.

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are incorrect again. You cannot living in darkness (sin) while living in the light (Jesus). You must repent (turn from your sin). Repent is not works.
Turning away is works... You have to put in effort and works to turn from sin. What are you even talking about? Repenting of sins isn't works? Really.... So me doing things to avoid sinning out of fear of hell isn't works-based salvation? On what planet?

How on earth do you accept me to take you seriously when you literally said turning from sin isn't works? You go against the very definition of works...

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Nope, it means a change of mind. Not turning from sin.

I would disagree. Repent used in context means a change of mind from unbelief to belief and it also means a change of mind from living in sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DM25. You are in incorrect. Repent used in context means a change of mind from unbelief to belief as well as a change of mind from living in darkness to living in the light.
No it does not. Maybe the "context" that fits your line of thinking, but not the biblical definition. It means change of mind, and deep sorrow. It does not mean turning away from sin to get saved.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
No it does not. Maybe the "context" that fits your line of thinking, but not the biblical definition. It means change of mind, and deep sorrow. It does not mean turning away from sin to get saved.

Yes it does. Again, you cannot be living in sin and still be saved. You need to turn from sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You cannot be living in darkness while living in the light.
You're right about something at least. We are made new in spirit, so we are not living in darkness anymore, the spirit does not sin. The flesh can still sin. And, when you are saved that's not the direction of our life anymore. Nobody said a believer lives in darkness... We get sanctified. BUT that is NOT what the believer does, the spirit is at work. You not living in darkness, or you turning from sin or not sinning DOES NOT SAVE YOU. Faith alone saves you. All glory to GOD for sanctification and the holy spirit, not our effort. But we still have our flesh, no glorified bodies, so we will still sin... Sanctification is a process and we will never be perfect and we will still sin. And I can tell you have a spirit of pride and religion. Are you without sin? You have many sins you don't even know about... Being sinless is impossible.

The gospel you preach is dangerous and false. Repent in the context of salvation means change of mind and to turn to Jesus Christ and believe on him for salvation... It does not mean to turn from your sins to get saved, that is unbiblical. You can repent from your sins in the sanctification process, but that's not what saves you. You are saved by his grace alone through faith alone, salvation is an event, not a process, and you cannot lose your salvation. NOWHERE in the gospel does it say "turn from sin" to get saved... THAT IS WORKS BASED SALVATION and it is unbiblical and a false teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Being sinless is impossible. The gospel you preach is dangerous and false.

I am not preaching sinless perfection. I never said sinless perfection nor did I ever imply it. I am preaching biblical repentance, which is to turn from sin and seek to our Lord Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DM25. Please I ask you to repent, to turn away from sin, and seek our Lord Jesus Christ.
I know I am saved by the bloodshed of Jesus Christ and his finished work on the cross, I have complete confidence in that. Unlike you, who thinks you are saved because of your works and performance, and you think you don't sin but are really deceived... You are trusting in yourself for your salvation, not Jesus... You are looking at yourself and you think you need to earn salvation, and that is perverting the gospel of Jesus Christ and that will not get you saved. You are no different than the pharisees, who look at the law for salvation and focus on their works and sin more than Jesus, this is selfish, fleshly religion that perverts the gospel. Repent. This will lead to destruction. So I ask you to repent, for your own well-being. Because God will destroy those who rely on their works for salvation like yourself rather than Jesus alone.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Unlike you, who thinks you are saved because of your works and performance, and you think you don't sin but are really deluded

I would ask you to turn from sin and seek our Lord Jesus Christ. Again this is not works based salvation. It is biblical repentance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0