Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to give to the homeless, but I stopped after I realized that the devil has agent out there who pose as the homeless. They want to get your money so that they can curse your finances. I once walked out of the store and went to my car. There was a young boy who asked me for a ride which was on my way. My brother was with me. He offered to pay me ten dollars which was in his hand. I said no you don't have to pay me. He had ten dollars, he could have called a taxi or an uber. When we got to the destination he offered to pay again, with the 10 dollars balled up in his hand. I said no. Then he acted as if he didn't know how to open the door. I didn't touch it or him, I just instructed him how to open it. I believe he was an agent of the devil, because he could have definitely called a taxi. Of course, if you know the person, and know that they are not an agent of the devil, by all means, help them. I do help people I know. If I feel that God is leading me to help someone on the street then I will.

Maybe he was an angel sent to test you.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes Ken - Your ignorance is telling - So yes - sweatshop- a name given for attributes that include:
Atrocious working conditions including 18 hr days with no days off
Poor ventilation
Poor lighting
Hi workplace deaths and injuries
Use of children
Use of toxic chemicals, radiation, gases, etc
High-risk activities involving heights, confined spaces and machinery

AND
Indentured labour or outright forced labour
Wages that cannot be justified given the profit margin of said sweatshop and are known to be taking full advantage of the desperately poor standards in a nation.

But you know all this Ken - You said you're OK with it - meh - I'm comfortable with your view - you're arguing with yourself.
And how do you know the Doc Martin shoe company has children working under those atrocious conditions? Did you actually do your own investigation? heard a rumor? or just pulling accusations out of thin air.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's fully understandable, though from my own experience living among those sorts of people; most of them are easy to read, and most don't really mean any harm. The best thing you can do is speak to them exactly how you would anyone else, and try not to look out of your depth. There's a few aggressive crazies, and drug-controlled crazies, but most are just a bit loud and inarticulate, not dangerous.

...Of course I live in a medium-sized town in England, so might have totally different types of street people than where you live lol

Maybe you're right. The few homeless I've seen are mostly eager to tell their story and give you some street philosophy.

As far as the city, the one I had a bad experience in is the city where the George Floyd incident happened which inspired looting and carnage around the country, lol. When everything was burning down.. I don't think it changed the tone of that city too much, lol. I've been told Minneapolis is one of the nicer cities in the world.. oh boy.. if that's true I'd hate to see what the common city is like.

Upvote 0

John Bannister

Apr 11, 2022
Ipswich
✟13,034.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you're right. The few homeless I've seen are mostly eager to tell their story and give you some street philosophy.

As far as the city, the one I had a bad experience in is the city where the George Floyd incident happened which inspired looting and carnage around the country, lol. When everything was burning down.. I don't think it changed the tone of that city too much, lol. I've been told Minneapolis is one of the nicer cities in the world.. oh boy.. if that's true I'd hate to see what the common city is like.

From my experience of American media, the exact opposite of truth is usually what is given as 'truth.' Internationally Minneapolis is known as a particularly awful place lol

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And how do you know the Doc Martin shoe company has children working under those atrocious conditions? Did you actually do your own investigation? heard a rumor? or just pulling accusations out of thin air.
No idea what your talking about Kenny. Are you saying you investigate companies now. Good d for you. Feel free to do what you like whether its giving to the poor or the opposite and supporting slavery. I don't care.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good stewards of God's money. We are to help and give to who asks. Our giving is well meaning that's the important thing. If we believe they should receive then we can't be held accountable if our judgment was bad. Our intentions were good. We did as God asked of us.
I don't give any if they are obviously high on something. I have even questioned them about it.

Upvote 0

JohnPaul88

A Soldier In God Army.
Dec 18, 2021
Trenton
✟38,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't give any if they are obviously high on something. I have even questioned them about it.
I give regardless, if they ask or I see a homeless person I give.

If it will provide them a night of comfort why question them?

Upvote 0

JohnPaul88

A Soldier In God Army.
Dec 18, 2021
Trenton
✟38,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because I won't give to them if it is for booze or drugs. So if I suspect, I ask them.
If it provides a night of comfort, so that they may sleep and rest, why not just give?

Put yourself in their shoes, your kindness may get them thinking and headed in the right direction, people become homeless for reasons we do not know, because there are many, I just give and pray they find a way out that, somehow they are touched by God, and their lives improve.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From my experience of American media, the exact opposite of truth is usually what is given as 'truth.' Internationally Minneapolis is known as a particularly awful place lol

I didn't know that the rest of the world viewed Minneapolis as a particular awful place. Was this viewpoint existent pre-George Floyd?

This does give me genuine hope for other cities. Overall Minnesota does rank high in many lists like education/test scores, average IQ scores and etc. So the idea that Minneapolis might actually be one of the better cities in the country sounded plausible.

I remember listening to a podcast with Jesse Ventura (the greatest Minnesotan who ever lived) and he said he had a talk with Arnold Schwarzenegger about moving to California. He asked how the public schools were there and Arnold just said "enroll your kids into private school" and Jesse said that then and there he knew he didn't want to move his children there.

Although I think Minnesota is going down the tube, although so is the rest of the country. This thread has gotten me thinking.. how good I've actually had it in life.. and how bad other places even within my own country can be.. and how where I live isn't guaranteed to always be good. Sort of humbling.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He was young. The reason I thought he could have been an agent of the devil is because there was another time that I use to jog around the block every morning, when one day a man was in a driveway at a house on the block that I jog on. He came out into the street and told me his name and shook my hand. He told me that he was moving into that house. The next day on my job that house was empty and stayed empty for a while after that. I started to have trouble with my knees so I had to stop jogging. I believe that he was an agent of the devil. I was praying about a certain place and coming against the negativity in that place, in the name of Jesus. I didn't cancel all weapons being formed against me in Jesus name. Now I know to always cancel any retaliation that try to come against me when coming against the devils schemes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums