Las Vegas
✟32,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Not sure where to put this, so I'll give it a go here. Moderators, please move it to where ever you think is best.

A good friend of mine passed away 10 days ago. He wasn't "homeless", but he was poor. He lived in the same apartment complex that I live, but he lived in a studio apartment. His social security check ate up his rent. He relied on food pantries to get him through the month.

I used to go with him down to an off ramp from the highway. He would wheel his manual wheel chair up and down the ramp. He wore a sign around his neck that said, "Please help. Anything Helps". He would be able to collect about $60 bucks in an hour. He never used his military status to collect more.

I said, "$60 bucks in an hour". Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? But the problem was, that he was only able to go out there and collect a few times a month. After all, he was in a manual wheelchair...had a pacemaker...had circulatory issues that impacted his legs.

He was not a drug user. Didn't drink alcohol. Was a lover of history and science. No one would know that just by looking at him. On the sidewalk. In his manual wheelchair.

I wonder...how many people give to someone who they think may be homeless...or poor? How often do we pass by someone who "looks" homeless or poor...and not give our 'brother' a passing thought?

So, what say you? Do you give to someone who's homeless...

...or not?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hear the sorry excuses people offer for not giving. It's usually reducible to some noble sounding paternalism mixed in with a healthy dose of judgment. That's all nonsense. Give, give, give every chance you get, let God sort it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I hear the sorry excuses people offer for not giving. It's usually reducible to some noble sounding paternalism mixed in with a healthy dose of judgment. That's all nonsense. Give, give, give every chance you get, let God sort it.

If I give, then I have given; if what I have given is misused or abused somehow, that's outside of my control. What is within my control is whether or not to give if I am able.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Mink61

Aug 27, 2019
Las Vegas
✟32,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I write this post because of a friend of mine who passed away 10 days ago. While he wasn't "homeless", he used ALL of his social security money to pay for rent...

He went to food pantries to be able to eat. He collected on the highway ramp in order to get money to buy food that he wouldn't be able to get from the pantries on a regular basis.

Some of the horror stories he told me...even as a disabled VET (which he never used to get any money), were horrible!

Imagine having a drink thrown in your face...or shouted at to "get a JOB!", even though you're 70+ years old, and in a wheelchair.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟968,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a rule. I am not saying it is a good or proper rule, but it's mine nonetheless. I give to people who ask me on the street. I don't give to sign holders at intersections or highway ramps. Perhaps I figure if you have to humble yourself to walk up to someone to ask them for money, you must need it pretty badly.

(I once watched shift change at an intersection. I saw a chap holding a highly personalized sign on a corner. His buddy walked up, took over the sign, and the first chap walked away. Maybe that's why I'm suspect of the cardboard brigade. Use to be all the cardboard holders were dying of Aids. Now being a veteran is quite popular). Lord, forgive my cynicism.

Upvote 0

Mink61

Aug 27, 2019
Las Vegas
✟32,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I have a rule. I am not saying it is a good or proper rule, but it's mine nonetheless. I give to people who ask me on the street. I don't give to sign holders at intersections or highway ramps. Perhaps I figure if you have to humble yourself to walk up to someone to ask them for money, you must need it pretty badly.

(I once watched shift change at an intersection. I saw a chap holding a highly personalized sign on a corner. His buddy walked up, took over the sign, and the first chap walked away. Maybe that's why I'm suspect of the cardboard brigade. Use to be all the cardboard holders were dying of Aids. Now being a veteran is quite popular). Lord, forgive my cynicism.

O.k. I get that. But from experience, the "shift change" is literally that. MOST have their own signs. But sometimes, one doesn't have a sign, so they use someone else's.

Not all homeless people are "God fearing". But many of them are. If you give to a homeless person, you've done your part. What they do with the money is between them and God...

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟968,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you give to a homeless person, you've done your part. What they do with the money is between them and God...

I agree with this. I help who I can but I can't help everybody. So I developed my rule of the segment I would help. I attend a downtown church a few blocks from a homeless shelter. Sunday mass is about the time the shelter is turning out the homeless for the day. It has been fairly common to be asked for money on the way into church so I always go prepared for that. And, yes, it's not uncommon to share a pew with a homeless person, either. I don't judge. I've had homeless people accept my money and literally run across the street to McDonald's. As for those who worry about addictions, I say even addicted people have to eat sometime. There are some interesting studies out there about how homeless people spend money, studies that refute that most of it goes to feed addictions.

Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I disagree with some things here. Although I don't see anything morally wrong or not Christ like about giving to the needy we are supposed to be good stewards of our money essentially giving wisely and not frivolously. My default advice is to give to organizations that help the homeless instead of giving directly to them. I also advise actually asking what they need and buying that for them be it food or toiletries etc as often they will buy things that they don't and still wait for the next person to give them money for what they need.
I also do not recommend giving to homeless near home at all, as some can take you for a sucker and harass you for more money even vandalize and steal from you when they feel entitled to your money, yes and some are this way as society these days (some society that is) teaches people that they are entitled to others money and belongings and those who are the most unstably mental can take this thinking overboard. I've had a neighbor that I warned about helping the homeless too generously that he was setting himself up as a sucker and sadly I was right the homeless man tried to talk him into moving into his back yard (likely later in his house rent free) and wanting to be his buddy (with him paying for everything) going out to play pool and bowl etc.
Sadly we live in a fallen world and some of these homeless are not decent people to begin with that is why some are homeless to being with as they have stolen, lied, and abused people while.... essentially some are mentally ill and can be a danger to people who don't know how to deal with them.

I don't see too much harm to giving a few dollars to a homeless person if you want to, just be aware that your even though you may feel good in doing so the results may just be like giving to a child in the neighborhood to buy an ice cream cone when they actually needs a bed and psychiatric help and a good meal and a shower something that your "donation" alone and dozens of others could have done but instead the homeless gets fat on ice cream and living by a dumpster sleeping in it garbage to keep warm in the winter.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟968,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here is a link to an interesting study about how homeless panhandlers spend money. Take a look at Table #3 to see where the money goes. The conclusion:

"In conclusion, the majority of panhandlers in Toronto are homeless and living in extreme poverty. We found that the amount of money panhandlers spend on alcohol and illicit drugs is significant, but much lower than some have suggested."​

You can read the full article here:

Research letter: Income and spending patterns among panhandlers

Many homeless people won't turn to organizations to help them because that help generally comes with strings, strings they don't want - or because they feel safer on the street than they do in shelters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟781,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I used to volunteer as a night warden in a homeless shelter and I got to meet some amazing people - people who utterly shattered any previous conceptions of what it meant to be homeless.
There are plenty of people living rough on the streets and whilst they certainly need money to afford the basics such as food, clothing and shelter, I think that above everything, they are looking for comfort and care. In a world that, for them, has become very lonely, and perhaps even hostile and frightening, seeing a friendly face, someone who is genuinely interested in acknowledging them and even talking to them, can turn an otherwise miserable day into one which is brighter and more bearable.
Whether we give money, gifts, or simply our time, our acts of kindness can have a tremendous impact on people's lives.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I rarely give to people asking for money on the street. I do search out people that appear to be poor and try to find WHY they are poor....is it because of something out of their control or is it because of bad habits and laziness? And I do help those who are poor because of things out of their control. To me, that is being a wise steward.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟556,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to get..burger & pizza for homeless.
---
I found out..there are many stories..
- why & how..they became homeless.
---
I met a homeless (in a wheelchair) who lost everything..
- because of..legal & family issues.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟737,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I do believe that we should give to the homeless. What they do with the money is their business. I don't do it EVERY time though. There is a corner off the freeway exit to downtown. My Parish happens to own that patch, they have a parking lot there.

It really works like a job. The Church monitors the corner for aggressive people or obviously intoxicated people. They have a shift system and somebody is out there literally 24/7. It's probably the primmest patch in the city.

Most of the time I do not give to them because I would have to stop traffic to pull over and people just freak when you slow them down. If I'm there on a red light and I have paper money (usually use a debit card). I give to the ones that look like they are really hurting and those who are giving out free blessings to the passers-by. Surely when someone is juggling or playing music. Then they really provide a service/performance and they should get a tip.

I needed to make some rules about how I give because I go to the Parish often for noon Mass so I could potentially be handing out a significant amount of money over the month. Still, I give as much as I can when I can.

People who ask me get my loose change or a dollar. You do have to be careful because muggers are out there and they can take the opportunity of you stopping to raid your pockets or even hurt you. If I was a woman, I probably would only give from the car window.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I carried cash, I'm pretty open to giving.

I remember my deacon, who helps organize the local shelter program, gave a sermon about giving to the poor. He said that what hurts those who beg most is people avoiding eye contact. It makes them feel invisible.

There is a guy on one intersection who has a sign "Help me get on my feet". He's in a wheelchair and well, has no feet. I once stopped to say hello and ask him how he is doing. I said I just don't carry cash on me anymore. He was so appreciative that I took that small amount of time just to talk to him.

I am also reminded of Abbot Tryphon's, an Eastern Orthodox monk, various homeless encounters:

The Morning Offering

I too believe that I encountered an angel on a Boston subway once, so I never know if I am being tested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,166.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure where to put this, so I'll give it a go here. Moderators, please move it to where ever you think is best.

A good friend of mine passed away 10 days ago. He wasn't "homeless", but he was poor. He lived in the same apartment complex that I live, but he lived in a studio apartment. His social security check ate up his rent. He relied on food pantries to get him through the month.

I used to go with him down to an off ramp from the highway. He would wheel his manual wheel chair up and down the ramp. He wore a sign around his neck that said, "Please help. Anything Helps". He would be able to collect about $60 bucks in an hour. He never used his military status to collect more.

I said, "$60 bucks in an hour". Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? But the problem was, that he was only able to go out there and collect a few times a month. After all, he was in a manual wheelchair...had a pacemaker...had circulatory issues that impacted his legs.

He was not a drug user. Didn't drink alcohol. Was a lover of history and science. No one would know that just by looking at him. On the sidewalk. In his manual wheelchair.

I wonder...how many people give to someone who they think may be homeless...or poor? How often do we pass by someone who "looks" homeless or poor...and not give our 'brother' a passing thought?

So, what say you? Do you give to someone who's homeless...

...or not?
I do

Upvote 0

Mammie5

Feb 25, 2022
✟19,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Near my area the local television station did a story a few years back about a "homeless" lady on the street corner with her cardboard sign. They interviewed her and she was telling her story and it was sad (I don't remember exactly the story but I remember feeling sad for her.) They "hid" and continued to watch and film her and after a few hours, she walked a couple of blocks to her car, a Mercedes and drove to her home in a middle income neighborhood where she had a husband and children. They confronted her and asked her why she was begging on the corner and I remember her reply was something to the effect of she could make more money begging on the street corner in a couple of hours than working an 8 hour job and it was tax free.

That has always stuck with me for some reason..........

I saw a post on instagram with the idea of making ziplock baggies with items in them like socks, kleenex, hand wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick, granola bars and like $5, $10 or $20..... I like that idea and I think I'm going to do that.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,247,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Near my area the local television station did a story a few years back about a "homeless" lady on the street corner with her cardboard sign. They interviewed her and she was telling her story and it was sad (I don't remember exactly the story but I remember feeling sad for her.) They "hid" and continued to watch and film her and after a few hours, she walked a couple of blocks to her car, a Mercedes and drove to her home in a middle income neighborhood where she had a husband and children. They confronted her and asked her why she was begging on the corner and I remember her reply was something to the effect of she could make more money begging on the street corner in a couple of hours than working an 8 hour job and it was tax free.

That has always stuck with me for some reason..........
We had something similar a few years back. Someone made it habit to do her begging in our shopping center's parking lot. While I never encountered her, others who witnessed it said she would then hop into her upscale SUV and drive off. I'm glad I never gave her money, as that money could've gone to someone who really needed it. I like being reasonably sure that what I give is being used the way it was intended and not being diverted away from those who really need it.

Upvote 0