Do you follow the advice of the “authority figure" you have sought out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Calendar for Sunday, August 23, 2009Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

Scripture from today's Liturgy of the Word:
Joshua 24:1-2a, 15-17, 18b
Psalm 34:2-3, 16-17, 18-19, 20-21
Ephesians 5:21-32 or 5:2a, 25-32
John 6:60-69

A reflection on today's Scripture:

Often, when we're faced with hard decisions, we'll seek the advice of an "authority figure." It's usually a wise idea to do so, but sometimes, we just want to shift the burden to someone else. "What shall I do?" we ask, hoping the other person will make up our minds for us. If the answer comes back, "Use your own judgment," then we're right back where we were, faced with the personal responsibility for our choice.

That's exactly what Jesus does in today's Gospel. Many of the Lord's followers had left Him because of His teaching that He Himself is the Bread of Life. If they were willing to eat of His flesh and drink of His blood, they would live forever. Otherwise, they would die. Many of His followers thought the message was too good to be true. So they "walked with him no longer."

Jesus turns to the Twelve and says, "Do you also want to leave?" It's as though He had added, "It's your decision. I'm not going to make your minds up for you!" Fortunately for them and for the future Church, they have enough faith to reply, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. For we have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God." For us today, we need to renew often our decision to firmly believe, and to act on the truths that Jesus teaches us.

The second reading from Ephesians should capture the attention of all married couples, since it is so often misunderstood. It's the famous passage about wives being "subordinate" to their husbands. Women feel that this statement has led to much "wife beating" and worse.

It all hinges on the word "subordinate." We need to read the whole passage to understand St. Paul properly. He starts off by telling us that Christians ought to be "subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ." That means loving and caring for one another as Christ loves us. It means being attentive to each other's gifts. Furthermore, St. Paul tells husbands to love their wives "as their own bodies -- for no one hates one's own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it."

In a nutshell, marriage is all about sacrificing for one another, listening carefully to each other, and telling the truth to one another. All lack of respect, all physical, verbal, emotional or spiritual abuse is to be avoided. And that's really God's idea of a perfect marriage, a true romance!

~ Msgr. Paul Whitmore

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I will be subordinate, I will be subordinate, I will be subordinate, with the authority figures I have sought out. I don't like it one darn bit right now! But I WILL be subordinate!

The trick is finding a guy worthy of being subordinate to. ;)

I think the key is, as St. Paul writes, be subordinate to one another. That is, one doesn't Lord one's will over the other. A loving husband is going to love his wife like Jesus loves the Church, and He gave Himself up to death.

What I gathered from today's reading after reflecting on it this week is the line from John-"...the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken are spirit and life". Often those words are used by our detractors as evidence that Jesus was speaking metaphorically when referring to the Eucharist. I've often battled with that wondering what the true meaning was behind this seemingly contradictory verse.

What I have learned is that the word 'spirit' when used by the Church can be synonymous with the word 'heart'. So, when our Lord says His words are 'spirit', he's not saying he's speaking symbolically, but rather these words are His heart which is synonymous with the Holy Eucharist. (Think Divine Mercy, and The Sacred Heart of Jesus, among others)

Overall, these last few weeks of Ephesians and John 6 have been mind boggling. This stuff blows me away. :)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I will be subordinate, I will be subordinate, I will be subordinate, with the authority figures I have sought out. I don't like it one darn bit right now! But I WILL be subordinate!

But aren't we supposed to screen information and then fit what is good into our lives--not just willy nilly accept whatever someone says (whether we have asked for the particular advice or not)? Perhaps the advice doesn't totally fit (spiritually, emotionally, or even physically.)

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^_^^_^^_^ You guys..... I am talking about my Priest not Joab. LOL!!! I guess I did not realize how that would sound. :doh: :blush:

My Priest gave me some news today (directions) that I have to follow but, I don't like it, and it is sandpapering me.

Yea, given todays readings, what an appropriate thread hun. Trust Fr. with me. ;) He has your/our best interest in mind.

Not like you do anything I say anyway. LOL ^_^^_^^_^ :p

Oh yea, don't let all these internet junkies talk you into second guessing me either. LOL ^_^ ^_^ ^_^. j/k.

But semi-seriously, "one flesh" doesn't think apart. :p

Its a "WE" thing. :D

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But aren't we supposed to screen information and then fit what is good into our lives--not just willy nilly accept whatever someone says (whether we have asked for the particular advice or not)? Perhaps the advice doesn't totally fit (spiritually, emotionally, or even physically.)

Not when it comes from your boss. :p :D

ahhhhh, runs from the mean woman now.... :sorry:

Upvote 0

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's about husbands and wives not sheep and shepherds!

Generally, if my priest suggests I do something, I do it. So far, it's all been for my own good.

You know, stuff like, "Maybe you should serve on Sunday's"
Yep, got that Tad, really I do. But it was so fitting in another sense. I heard in my heart while Father was giving his Homily, "That means following Fathers direction too." Then... After mass, outside Father gave us a little chat and directions to follow, which just ruffled my feathers, and bugged the tar out of me.

Blew me away too in the sense that the HS had to get my attention before Fr. talked to us. I had to be silent on the way home from mass. I didn't even want to talk. I also had to have that internal temper tantrum. :blush: And yes your correct, it is always for our own good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Err--maybe I should have included a consideration of just who that "authority figure" might be. ;) The guardian of one's spiritual life does indeed know best. :holy:

Its really hard to do the right thing sometimes. There have been times in my life when I would have said fooy on the Priest and found a justice of the peace. Didn't work out so well. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.