Do you ever get bored with your spouse/marriage?

Gabe7

Apr 1, 2011
✟1,885.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Being single I can date an endless supply of people. So if I'm with someone and either of us lose that lovin feelin we can move on and its not that big of a deal. This is one reason I fear marriage. I think eventually all our stories will become old news and we'll be left in a stagnant relationship rehashing our glory days wondering if either of us could have done better. How do you avoid this, can you avoid it?

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I don't get bored. 22 years married.

Here's the deal. In 20 years you'll have grown (hopefully more sanctified), she'll have grown. In that sense you'll be different people. If you're doing it right, making your love for each other your top earthly relational priority, you'll be growing together. Raising kids, building careers, setting church, financial, family dreams afloat. That doesn't get boring.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get bored sometimes as I have ADD which brings about special obstacles in a marriage and life in general. Could I have done better? Absolutely not! Hubby has more patience than Job as ADDers can be difficult to live with.

:kiss: I adore my husband, and I can't picture life without him. We just celebrated our 4th anniversary last month, so perhaps I'll have a different answer ten years from now :p

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, everybody gets bored at some point in marriage. Like everything else in life, it kind of goes in phases. Sometimes my wife bores me, sometimes she irritates me, sometimes she excites me--so yeah, it's not all asparagus and cheddar all the time, but for me, I would just hate to keep hopping from partner to partner in endless succession. That would really be depressing. Plus, the stability of marriage helps with raising the kids.

Upvote 0

EarthPsalts

the "P" is silent!
May 26, 2011
las vegas, nv
Visit site
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bored? no.
but over time, bliss turns into contentment. and contentment turns into complacency.
and then we're at serious risk for becoming discontent.

this is why in solomon chapter 2, we're told to catch all the foxes that might ruin the vineyard of love. beautiful poetry there. what it's talking about is all the little distractions of life need to be "caught" and not allowed to interfere with the growth and maturity of a loving relationship.

it's also why we are commanded to never deprive our spouse of what is rightfully theirs except for a mutual time of fasting and prayer... because when we fail to keep the intimacy going in a marraige, the bond gets broken, boredom can set in, and the risk for infidelity sky-rockets.... and if we have not been maintaining a healthy intimate relationship with our spouse, we're held accountable if he/she strays, just as the spouse is held accountable for his/her actions.

Upvote 0

EarthPsalts

the "P" is silent!
May 26, 2011
las vegas, nv
Visit site
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being single I can date an endless supply of people. So if I'm with someone and either of us lose that lovin feelin we can move on and its not that big of a deal. This is one reason I fear marriage. I think eventually all our stories will become old news and we'll be left in a stagnant relationship rehashing our glory days wondering if either of us could have done better. How do you avoid this, can you avoid it?

so now i'll get into the nitty gritty instead of just answering the title question... sorry!

ya know, i always struggled with relationships. seems like the longest i could stay in a relationship without feeling bored with the person was a couple of months. in one case, it lasted a couple of years, but i think the only reason it lasted so long is because he kept walking out on me and i'd stay obsessed til he came back around. yeah, totally unhealthy.

and unfortunately, that pattern of boredom and finding a new partner even existed during my first marriage. ouch.

but after my divorce and nearly ten years as a single mom, i turned my 'love life' over to God and asked Him to bring me His very best for my life. sometimes i still wonder why God brought me my particular husband... it certainly hasn't been a smooth ride, and there are some major issues, and my husband has wandered far from God at this point. BUT....

God gave me an unconditional love for this man that has lasted for 12 years and counting. he's made me angry, he's made me sad, and he's made me want to hate him, but through it all, i've never stopped LOVING him. not an unhealthy kind of love, but the kind of love that only God can give.

and He'll give YOU that kind of love for your spouse too, if you wait for God to bring you the person He has in store for you.

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I wouldn't say bored.
My husband is still my #1 person to want to be around. I want to do things with him, go places, talk or just chill out.
He's my best friend as well as my husband, so if I ever want to go "do something", he's the first person I try to get to come with me.

((of course, not all men want to go clothes shopping, so then I take my sis..but I still keep asking!! :D ))

While dating you can have any number of activities and partners to do it with, there's also the drama, the questioning, the venerability etc.

Being married, (in my case anyway) has allowed me to relax, be who I really am without any excuses and just enjoy eachother completely.
Being married is much better than dating, you just need to make sure you marry the right person!

Peace,
- Niff

Upvote 0

NvxiaLee

May 19, 2011
✟905.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Being single I can date an endless supply of people.

You can date an endless supply of people? Are you bisexual, or just sloppy in your writing? Anyway, a reminder, bisexuals and fornicators do not inherit the kingdom of Heaven.

I don't get bored in my marriage. Isn't it boring to tell the same stories over and over, even if to different women? And, if you think sticking with one woman is boring, it says something about you, and/or the kind of women you're dating (boring women).

Maybe after you've been married 20 years, it might be occasionally boring, but by that age, the dating life would be miserable, anyway. You'll either be dating gold-digging young girls that you have little in common with. Or, you'll be dating worn-out women your age. But, being married to a good woman for a long time will result in the kind of intimacy you can't imagine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
many good replies here but I'll still add a bit.

Firstly love is not just some warm fuzzy feeling. Love is also an action or doing word. You choose to love your partner. I get frustrated and angry with my wife. However when she has really annoyed me I choose not to yell at her. I choose to leave the room and calm down a bit before talking it over.

Before we got married we did a sort of bible study type thing by reading a chapter of the Boundaries books by Cloud & Townsend. We discussed issues that arose from that. Being in the US your a bit luckier in that there are study guides available for these books which are not available here.

I think the biggest problem is people believe the hollywood happily ever after story is actually true. Just like any relationship with frinds, family etc there are good times & bad times. Just because I have a big argument with a friend I don't cut off all connection with them. So find ways you can love your partner. We are in the seven year itch period as some people call it yet there is no thought of leaving. Even a quick shoulder massage that takes 30 seconds while waiting for the kettle to boil makes a big difference. My wife also despite being low on energy due to health problems will still make sure that I can get along to referee sport because she knows I really enkoy it. That is because we choose to love each other rather than take a what can I get from this approach.

Upvote 0

CKanupp

N00B
May 21, 2011
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Love is not a feeling. While those 'feelings' might be nice, they are not what true love is all about. I've been with my man for eight years and I am still completely infatuated with him. Have I been bored? Yes, but I never stay bored. I realized that I am in control of those 'lovin feelings' and I can CHOOSE to feel this way about him and not let those feelings die. But our relationship is so much more than that! There will always be ups and downs, excitement and boredom. And I wouldn't want it any other way!

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

*Feelings come and go-- I have experienced that in marriage and out of marriage. Commitment keeps it together when feelings come and go(change) due to whatever influence.

If you pay rent or a mortgage you are in a "commitment" -- you can decide not to pay and lose your home but you decide each month you are going to pay that rent/mortgage...personal feelings notwithstanding.

Love is an action not feelings...feelings are fickle. I've always said that.

I have been married for 8 years and our feelings have been all over the place--but here we are holding to our commitment to walk together through thick or thin, good times or bad, whether rich or poor. Trust me, we have endured all those!

Almost two yrs.(it will be 2 yrs. in Nov) ago my husband was in an industrial accident (and his leg had to be amputated.) He was taken by medical helicopter to the trauma hospital where he was a patient for a month and a half...he received 10 units of blood and endured two skin grafts(the first one failed.) He also suffered bowel impaction and developed an allergic reaction to morphine. I nearly lost him at one point!
A year of rehab and on-going medical setbacks. Half the time I just felt numb-- our lives were turned upside down! I drove two hrs. every day to be at his bedside when he was in the trauma hospital.

He was out of it most of the time due to pain-killers and other meds. There wasn't any romance going on.
I felt numb inside, I walked around most days in a daze....no loving feelings.
I had God and my bible, I stayed close to both!
Many prayer warriors came along side me from all around the world -- I got cards, notes, flowers, gift cards and gift baskets from countless people. I'm grateful for the people at church & neighbors who fixed food for me.

During that first year I relied on my commitment to be wife, friend and companion to my husband who was medicated and usually in another world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tyronem

Presbyterian Baptist with Pentecostal leanings
Jun 19, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟15,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would recommend you watch some of Paul Washers videos on Biblical courtship. From a Biblical perspective you should not be dating screeds of women because you do not enter into marriage a whole man when you eventually do.

As for being bored with my wife? She is many things but never boring. - 10 years this year and I love her more every year because I know her better and better as the years go by.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would recommend you watch some of Paul Washers videos on Biblical courtship. From a Biblical perspective you should not be dating screeds of women because you do not enter into marriage a whole man when you eventually do.

As for being bored with my wife? She is many things but never boring. - 10 years this year and I love her more every year because I know her better and better as the years go by.
Awesome!!!

:clap:

Upvote 0

peckaboo

Jul 11, 2011
England
✟15,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've only been married 15 months so I'm probably not as "qualified" to answer this question as some of the other posters, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway! Your dating life sounds pretty similar to how mine used to be - I usually lasted about 8 months in a relationship, and for the last couple of those I'd be casting my eye about for my next "target" :/ Firstly, I'd mention that that's a pretty unhealthy habit to get into because the more you cultivate that "love 'em and leave 'em" mindset, the harder it is to really honour your commitment to your spouse when the hard or boring times hit your marriage. Secondly, yeah, marriage can be boring sometimes. It's not thrilling for me to spend Sunday evenings ironing all my husband's shirts for the next week, or hanging out with his architect friends whose conversations I can barely follow. And it's probably pretty boring for him to listen to my shoe-shopping anecdotes or to play squash with me (a beginner) when he could be playing with someone who's more of a challenge! But that's life; whether you're married or single life has some interesting and some boring elements. It's kind of selfish to check out on someone because they're not constantly entertaining you - you also have to look out for their needs and desires and keep things fun for them.

Upvote 0