• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I suppose some will say yes they do and some not, i dont know. My question is with Personality disorder...... Do you black out or lose time? Do you remember what was said or done and do you have any control over it while it is happening? I truly do not know much about this disorder and am asking for your stories of what truly happens during those times. I have heard some say they do not remember anything at all. Could you help me understand this please? And does something trigger you and if so, what are your triggers if any?

Thank you, God Bless

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I space out whenever my mom tells me a long story. Her stories are really long. She can't just say "I went to the store and bought milk", to tell me that much is a 750 word story.

And yeah, when I space out, I do not remember anything at all.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I space out whenever my mom tells me a long story. Her stories are really long. She can't just say "I went to the store and bought milk", to tell me that much is a 750 word story.

And yeah, when I space out, I do not remember anything at all.
Ok so you are describing it as "spacing out", is that by choice such as you are bored with whats being said.....or it happens uncontrollably?

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ok so you are describing it as "spacing out", is that by choice such as you are bored with whats being said.....or it happens uncontrollably?

To open a can of worms, both:

1. I am bored with what's being said.

2. I don't really care that much what she has to say because I'm a bit passive-agressive over the love/hate relationship I have with her, so it happens uncontrollably.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To open a can of worms, both:

1. I am bored with what's being said.

2. I don't really care that much what she has to say because I'm a bit passive-agressive over the love/hate relationship I have with her, so it happens uncontrollably.
Ok so you can "make it happen" and at the same time it happens "without control".....so I take it each case is always different?

Sorry Im asking so much. When you "space out" is the an amount of time that you stay that way? Or again each situation is different?

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ok so you can "make it happen" and at the same time it happens "without control".....so I take it each case is always different?

Sorry Im asking so much. When you "space out" is the an amount of time that you stay that way? Or again each situation is different?

Hmm, each case might always be different.

Yes there is an amount of time I stay that way. Usually seconds after my mom stops talking to me, and she says "Hello?" to make sure I'm alright.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, each case might always be different.

Yes there is an amount of time I stay that way. Usually seconds after my mom stops talking to me, and she says "Hello?" to make sure I'm alright.
Im not sure how to word this next question because I dont want you to think Im being mean, or rude. Does this give you a feeling of "power" and "control" to be able to escape the situation?? does that make sense, if not I will try and reword it?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I suppose some will say yes they do and some not, i dont know. My question is with Personality disorder...... Do you black out or lose time? Do you remember what was said or done and do you have any control over it while it is happening? I truly do not know much about this disorder and am asking for your stories of what truly happens during those times. I have heard some say they do not remember anything at all. Could you help me understand this please? And does something trigger you and if so, what are your triggers if any?
Thank you, God Bless

A pint of so of whiskey is a good experiment.
Don't overdo it.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Im not sure how to word this next question because I dont want you to think Im being mean, or rude. Does this give you a feeling of "power" and "control" to be able to escape the situation?? does that make sense, if not I will try and reword it?

I don't know really. The question is too psychological for someone of my intellect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I disappear and have no idea where I went, for usually a couple of hours at a time. I have C-PTSD. I guess it's called a blackout.
Thank you May.....
I apologize I havent heard of C-PTSD, what exactly is the C ??

Upvote 0

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
Thank you May.....
I apologize I havent heard of C-PTSD, what exactly is the C ??

Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It basically involves Dissociative Identity Disorder, so is classified as more complex than just regular PTSD. When I was at my worst I was a baby in an adult body and my family had to care for me, feed me, bathe me, dress me, ect... that lasted a few months. Thankfully my doctor was understanding and said she'd encountered it before.

I'm not sure actually if the 'blackouts' are an effect of the medication because I read someone said something similar recently. What happens is I usually get into bed after an activity (I have CFS too so get tired very easily), and then I have no idea what happens to me. I don't fall asleep, but I'm not conscious either. It's hard to explain. Then I stir as if my soul is transitioning from being in another universe... it's odd.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It basically involves Dissociative Identity Disorder, so is classified as more complex than just regular PTSD. When I was at my worst I was a baby in an adult body and my family had to care for me, feed me, bathe me, dress me, ect... that lasted a few months. Thankfully my doctor was understanding and said she'd encountered it before.

I'm not sure actually if the 'blackouts' are an effect of the medication because I read someone said something similar recently. What happens is I usually get into bed after an activity (I have CFS too so get tired very easily), and then I have no idea what happens to me. I don't fall asleep, but I'm not conscious either. It's hard to explain. Then I stir as if my soul is transitioning from being in another universe... it's odd.
Wow thats interesting.....May I ask how long you have been this way and do you know and or remember when this disorder began. Im sorry if I offend I am not trying to , I am trying to understand "the person" in which it happens to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
Wow thats interesting.....May I ask how long you have been this way and do you know and or remember when this disorder began. Im sorry if I offend I am not trying to , I am trying to understand "the person" in which it happens to.

I've had PTSD since my step-father left our family (he was abusive in so many different ways, and had been part of my life since I was three, he left when I was eighteen, and now I am twenty three).

Then I developed psychosis at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016, for about half a year, with multiple different personalities of all different ages at that time. That's when my mum took me to the doctor because I was in such an awful state. I was put on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants and referred to therapy (which I am diligently carrying out), and gradually my 'alternate personalities' have mostly disappeared.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had PTSD since my step-father left our family (he was abusive in so many different ways, and had been part of my life since I was three, he left when I was eighteen, and now I am twenty three).

Then I developed psychosis at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016, for about half a year, with multiple different personalities of all different ages at that time. That's when my mum took me to the doctor because I was in such an awful state. I was put on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants and referred to therapy (which I am diligently carrying out), and gradually my 'alternate personalities' have mostly disappeared.
I like to "mirror" what people say so that I make sure I get it right.....So the disorder and issues you are having showed up when you were 18 and now you are 23?

And none of these disorders showed up until he left at the age of 18?
Is that right? You had no previous incidents of this before him leaving?

Upvote 0

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
Well... I was extremely depressed and suicidal when he was living with us, but I had general PTSD after he left(flashbacks, bad dreams, feeling emotionally numb, ect), and then it became Complex in 2015. I went to the doctor when he left with my mum but we didn't follow it up. I wish I had otherwise it may not have become Complex. But it's happened now. I am recovering gradually.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well... I was extremely depressed and suicidal when he was living with us, but I had general PTSD after he left(flashbacks, bad dreams, feeling emotionally numb, ect), and then it became Complex in 2015. I went to the doctor when he left with my mum but we didn't follow it up. I wish I had otherwise it may not have become Complex. But it's happened now. I am recovering gradually.
May I ask do you feel "he" was the cause of this?? By the horrible things you were put through??

Upvote 0

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
May I ask do you feel "he" was the cause of this?? By the horrible things you were put through??

Yeah, that's what PTSD is... My mum said I was a happy bubbly energetic girl before she married him.

Upvote 0