Do you believe the Bible is the infallible word of God?

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? Or do you consider it more of an inspiring and holy mix of history and fiction, or something else entirely? Do you think that the Bible should be placed on such a high pedestal?

the bible is perfect when divided correctly...many do not divide it correctly and teach others....blind teachers trying to teach people to see.

There are translations of translations of translations...but today, we have copies of the manuscripts and the ability to translate what they actually said...which is different than the english translations...and I like the KJV...but it is not translated perfect by any means...an honest attempt, but as the letter in the beginning of the 1611 KJV points out, it is a work of man, with error...but they did their best...and they knew that their translation was not directly inspired...realize that first there was the Hebrew manuscripts, which were translated into various greek texts and then into latin, and then into many english translations...and into many other languages...

but it was an honest attempt..and we today have the ability to go back to those manuscripts and see what they actually said in the original language that it was written in, be it Hebrew or Aramaic/Chaldea(OT) or Greek(NT)

My reason for asking this question is this; my parents have brought me up to be a Christian. They are zealous, Evangelical and quite credulous when it comes to the scriptures. They believe that the Bible is in fact the infallible word of God. Any attempt to besmirch any single thing their beloved Bible claims is considered a sin worse then any other, and they will proceed to take their weight KJV and proverbially ram it into any orifice you leave unguarded.
And so - before I cast aside Christianity altogether, with considerable bitterness and resentment, I'd like to hear how you define the Bible. This is not an attack, but a genuine question. I do not want to debate my beliefs, or question yours, I just want to know what you think.
well, give it another shot...when we use a Concordance (I recommend Strong's) the Word of God opens up and believe me...I looked and cannot see contradiction at all...in the English, yes, but in the original languages, no.

I hope that has helped a little...

pm me if you would like to discuss the so called contradictions. Perhaps you could help to educate your parents!!!

in His service
c

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? ...
yes, now go re-read the the 5th commandment and do it this time.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? Or do you consider it more of an inspiring and holy mix of history and fiction, or something else entirely?...
I can do no better than to quote the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt2.htm
ARTICLE 3
SACRED SCRIPTURE

I. Christ—The Unique Word of Sacred Scripture
In order to reveal himself to men, in the condescension of his goodness God speaks to them in human words: "Indeed the words of God, expressed in the words of men, are in every way like human language, just as the Word of the eternal Father, when he took on himself the flesh of human weakness, became like men."

Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely:
You recall that one and the same Word of God extends throughout Scripture, that it is one and the same Utterance that resounds in the mouths of all the sacred writers, since he who was in the beginning God with God has no need of separate syllables; for he is not subject to time.​

For this reason, the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord's Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God's Word and Christ's Body.

In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, "but as what it really is, the word of God." "In the sacred books, the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet his children, and talks with them."

II. Inspiration and Truth of Sacred Scripture
God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

"For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author and have been handed on as such to the Church herself."

God inspired the human authors of the sacred books. "To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them and by them, it was as true authors that they consigned to writing whatever he wanted written, and no more."

The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures."

Still, the Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living." If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, "open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures."

III. The Holy Spirit, Interpreter of Scripture
In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way. To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words.

In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking, and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."

But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. "Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

The Second Vatican Council indicates three criteria for interpreting Scripture in accordance with the Spirit who inspired it.

1. Be especially attentive "to the content and unity of the whole Scripture." Different as the books which comprise it may be, Scripture is a unity by reason of the unity of God's plan, of which Christ Jesus is the center and heart, open since his Passover.
The phrase "heart of Christ" can refer to Sacred Scripture, which makes known his heart, closed before the Passion, as the Scripture was obscure. But the Scripture has been opened since the Passion; since those who from then on have understood it, consider and discern in what way the prophecies must be interpreted.​

2. Read the Scripture within "the living Tradition of the whole Church." According to a saying of the Fathers, Sacred Scripture is written principally in the Church's heart rather than in documents and records, for the Church carries in her Tradition the living memorial of God's Word, and it is the Holy Spirit who gives her the spiritual interpretation of the Scripture ("according to the spiritual meaning which the Spirit grants to the Church").

3. Be attentive to the analogy of faith. By "analogy of faith" we mean the coherence of the truths of faith among themselves and within the whole plan of Revelation.

The senses of Scripture

According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral, and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church.

The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: "All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal."

The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God's plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs.
1. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ's victory and also of Christian Baptism.

2. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written "for our instruction."

3. The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, "leading"). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem.

A medieval couplet summarizes the significance of the four senses:

The Letter speaks of deeds; Allegory to faith;
The Moral how to act; Anagogy our destiny.​

"It is the task of exegetes to work, according to these rules, toward a better understanding and explanation of the meaning of Sacred Scripture in order that their research may help the Church to form a firmer judgment. For, of course, all that has been said about the manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgment of the Church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God."

But I would not believe in the Gospel, had not the authority of the Catholic Church already moved me.

Upvote 0

Jersey

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,140.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? Or do you consider it more of an inspiring and holy mix of history and fiction, or something else entirely? Do you think that the Bible should be placed on such a high pedestal?

Don't you think warning labels should be placed on all bibles? At least giving some kind of warning that the majority of it shouldn't be taken literally?

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Ehrenkreuz. I believe the Bible is God talking to Man, written by God-inspired men and women. Those parts we do not understand, we need to pray over first and then discuss them with other brothers and sisters in Bible-Study groups: which can be found in many Cities and Villages. The Bible has given Hope and has also changed many lives by pointing out evils and wrongs, and then shown us the way to overcome them. I say this humbly and kindly, Ehrenkreuz. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
yes, now go re-read the the 5th commandment and do it this time.

It is not dishonouring our parents if we question their values, but rather it is honouring their parenting.

Infants are meant to do as they are told. Young adults are meant to question, to discuss and to decide matters for themselves.

And good enough parents aim ultimately to have children who become adults, not perpetual infants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Im now confused as to what the bible is a product of....As i have always understood the bible was in fact other peoples experiences with god.....have i been barking completely up the wrong tree?

The Bible contains God's gradual revelation of himself to mankind, made perfect in Christ. It was written by men, about their personal understanding of who God is. In some cases their understanding is very close to God in Christ, and in some cases very far off the mark.

Christ is the perfect revelation, and he is the benchmark for the rest of Scripture, not the other way round. :)

Upvote 0

Maranatha27

Nov 1, 2007
Massachusetts
✟16,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, your font is hard to read for me as is very tiny but I was able to read it.

I'm sorry that your parents have possibly led to disappointment about God and the bible.

Parents are sinful people like all, and we are all weak, and have failings and so it's good to keep that in mind as you are seeking.

If they are what is commonly called bible bashers, that's like the quickest way to turn many off to whatever is said.

Also, if one questions someone's beliefs or asks for understanding of something and get the riot act read is also not good.

I believe that what is in the bible is true. I also take literally as do many, but not all, such as what occured in creation, the fall, Noah and the Ark, and other as well.

When one comes to Christ by faith, it is awesome; and is also a freedom never ever had before. Some people who are Christians however do not know anything but legalism. They prevent the Holy Spirit from working in someone's life, by dictating what one must do, etc.

God does indeed give commands, and we are commanded not to sin, but we do. Our heart alone is full of much sin, self righteousness, pride, etc., and will creep up here and there.

Real change comes from the desire of the heart, also the renewing of the mind through scripture.

Jesus said:

He spoke such as many were doing as what sounds like your parents may be doing, is trying to force in a sense you to change on the outside.

The above scripture refutes such.

I would dare say they may also be adding to scripture restrictions that are not in the bible.
It is you alone, no one else, and with God's help and guidance into truth that your heart will change.

I was under legalism at one point and it was horrible. I couldn't even read scripture for almost a year as it yelled at me, instead of as normal; teaching, helping, and treasuring all read.

So this sounds like what's occuring, and I would suggest friend, that you not walk away from God due to what others impose on you.

This happens to many people (who are being bible bashed and bashed with legalism), and is not the way of God. He talks of this much in the gospels.

Jesus loves you very much and your relationship with Him is personal and He will guide you into all truths.

It does take time to recover from being under legalism, but one does recover.

We are free in Christ. One comes to Christ and we change; some slowly, some faster; we are all different and have different things to deal with. God knows that, knows our heart; so don't let yourself be judged by another (in your thoughts); judge yourself, by this I mean; look inside your heart to see where you are at.

A good Christian friend is a big help. Someone who will not judge you and will also help you; and you in turn also helping them. As when questions come to us, it helps us grow, since we need think about things and study the bible as well.

God bless you in your journey,
tapero

Nice post tapero

Upvote 0

HumbleServant94

Miami Disciple
Sep 25, 2008
my house
✟8,347.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

My reason for asking this question is this; my parents have brought me up to be a Christian. They are zealous, Evangelical and quite credulous when it comes to the scriptures. They believe that the Bible is in fact the infallible word of God. Any attempt to besmirch any single thing their beloved Bible claims is considered a sin worse then any other, and they will proceed to take their weight KJV and proverbially ram it into any orifice you leave unguarded.

And so - before I cast aside Christianity altogether, with considerable bitterness and resentment, I'd like to hear how you define the Bible. This is not an attack, but a genuine question. I do not want to debate my beliefs, or question yours, I just want to know what you think.

I believe the Bible is infallible in all things except science.

Upvote 0

Angeloffire

Son of God
Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
✟8,325.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just as the Bible was given and written through Divine Inspiration of the Holy Spirit...it is also only understood by and through the Holy Spirit.

People who claim 'literal' translation usually/often don't have the Holy Spirit and also seem to love to argue because they come from their own mind and not His.

This is also why there are over 4,000 bible thumping religions in the world at this moment.

There are alot of differing translations of the Word as well, and many are not even close to accurate.

I believe in the infallible God only and in His ablility to be my Teacher and He uses His inspired Word as one means of revealing Himself to my heart and understanding.

Blessings,

AOF

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm baffled how anyone claiming to be of God could not recognize His own words to man - God's children know the voice of their master and He knows them as His sheep;
we don't follow others and especially ourselves as if WE know what is spiritually true or who our God is aside from scripture. Even the bereans checked what they heard with the scripture they had - the OT.

Do we know more than those who physically walked with Christ or were physically led by God in the OT as prophets?
Doubtful.

Removing scripture as truth is to basically claim we know more about God without it and don't need it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally believe the Bible is what it says it is, no more and no less.

Timothy says the Scriptures (ie the OT) are inspired by God and useful to faith. Nowhere does it say that the Bible is perfect, or infallible, or that it is essential to our faith to believe either of these.

This means that although many Christians do choose to take this point of view, it is not sanctioned in Scripture, and is therefore an unBiblical position to take. I do not suggest you put this to your parents, but you can certainly ask a minister about it. Why do Christians call the Bible perfect, when the Bible itself does not make this claim for itself?

Furthermore, in the Gospel of John and in Revelation, the title 'Word of God' is given to Christ. Now, either Christ is both a book and a man, or else calling the Bible the 'Word of God' is a misnomer; actually worse than this - giving a title which belongs only to God to that which is not God equates, imho, to idolatry.

Therefore, not only is it not justified in Scripture to treat the Bible as infallible, it also breaks the first commandment. So it is quite safe to decide not to go down this road, and to allow the Bible to be what it is, and not more. :wave:
wow

Upvote 0