Do you believe the Bible is the infallible word of God?

Ehrenkreuz

Jul 24, 2007
✟7,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? Or do you consider it more of an inspiring and holy mix of history and fiction, or something else entirely? Do you think that the Bible should be placed on such a high pedestal?

My reason for asking this question is this; my parents have brought me up to be a Christian. They are zealous, Evangelical and quite credulous when it comes to the scriptures. They believe that the Bible is in fact the infallible word of God. Any attempt to besmirch any single thing their beloved Bible claims is considered a sin worse then any other, and they will proceed to take their weight KJV and proverbially ram it into any orifice you leave unguarded.

And so - before I cast aside Christianity altogether, with considerable bitterness and resentment, I'd like to hear how you define the Bible. This is not an attack, but a genuine question. I do not want to debate my beliefs, or question yours, I just want to know what you think.

Reactions: rocklife

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? Or do you consider it more of an inspiring and holy mix of history and fiction, or something else entirely?[/quote
The bible is a unique part of God's revelation, but it's delivered by inspiring human authors, not dictated by God, so it bears the stamp of those authors. Each book is delivered through a particular person at a particular time, culture, and place in the story. It's not God's purpose to transmit mundane facts through the bible, but to reveal his working in creation, so mundane facts are, at all times, secondary to the story.

Do you think that the Bible should be placed on such a high pedestal?
Depends which high pedestal it is being placed upon.

And so - before I cast aside Christianity altogether, with considerable bitterness and resentment, I'd like to hear how you define the Bible. This is not an attack, but a genuine question. I do not want to debate my beliefs, or question yours, I just want to know what you think.
The view of the bible you describe is not a particularly historic one - it reflects all sorts of post-enlightenment viewpoints and attitudes being read back into an ancient text. There are plenty of Christians in the world with a more historically balanced approach, and who are more comfortable coping with the paradox of a perfect God working through imperfect people without overriding their imperfections.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
I believe the Bible needs to be read and understood in the context. I have seen that a lot of preachers and people twist bible verses to say things they want it to say, which is a wrong use of the Bible.

And many scholars and Bible teachers say there are problems with some of the translations, it is not easy to translate and they say some verses have not been translated well in one version or another, and some Bibles are not actual Bibles, they are paraphrased bibles, which means another person went ahead and is restating the Bible (supposed to be for children or maybe English-as-second-language people).

I love the bible and encourage to read and study the Bible every day, I also love listening to it on walkmen tapes, but we need to learn and understand contexts and things like that

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
no amount of argument will convince you of anything. But if you want a rational appraoch to the validity and authenticity of the scriptures, warts and all. I suggest you pop down to your local library and see if they have a book called

evidence that demands a verdict: by Josh McDowell

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My reason for asking this question is this; my parents have brought me up to be a Christian. They are zealous, Evangelical and quite credulous when it comes to the scriptures. They believe that the Bible is in fact the infallible word of God. Any attempt to besmirch any single thing their beloved Bible claims is considered a sin worse then any other, and they will proceed to take their weight KJV and proverbially ram it into any orifice you leave unguarded.

What I'm wondering is -- what do you believe the Bible is? Do you believe that the Bible is unquestionably correct, as if it were direct dictations from God? Or do you consider it more of an inspiring and holy mix of history and fiction, or something else entirely? Do you think that the Bible should be placed on such a high pedestal?

Ok, well I take the Bible, as the Word of God, as spoken to man, and then recorded as best they could, within the language and knowledge confines they had at the time.

There are other issues with the Bible as well, but, I would not entertain that it was fantasy, or exaggeration. But there were confines, and limitations placed upon it.

Things like paper was a scarce thing, language was limited, there is some play for "lost in translation" when it comes to the bible.

But the Bible is still a multi-author book about God.

Sure, some people are a little over the top, but then again, why would you feel the need to challenge it? Because it has been pressed upon you, I assume.

Even Jesus says.. There will be those that accept, and those that reject.. but I do not recall him saying "Force people to believe" so, if you reject... then that is your choice, and you would bring this up with your parents.

If you really want to annoy your parents, become a liberal Christian, study the bible, and tell them how wrong they are in their interpretation. That's more annoying then being an Atheist or pagan.

Just some ideas.. however, I would like to thank you for your honesty regarding this, as many people say that it is Gods fault, or turn their anger to "Christians" as opposed to realizing that it is not "Christians" but one specific group, or even in your case, 2 people, that are truly poisoning the word of God to those around them.

Just don't loose that truth you have... and know where your anger stems from.. This has nothing to do with God, and everything to do with your parents.

God Bless

Key

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I personally believe the Bible is what it says it is, no more and no less.

Timothy says the Scriptures (ie the OT) are inspired by God and useful to faith. Nowhere does it say that the Bible is perfect, or infallible, or that it is essential to our faith to believe either of these.

This means that although many Christians do choose to take this point of view, it is not sanctioned in Scripture, and is therefore an unBiblical position to take. I do not suggest you put this to your parents, but you can certainly ask a minister about it. Why do Christians call the Bible perfect, when the Bible itself does not make this claim for itself?

Furthermore, in the Gospel of John and in Revelation, the title 'Word of God' is given to Christ. Now, either Christ is both a book and a man, or else calling the Bible the 'Word of God' is a misnomer; actually worse than this - giving a title which belongs only to God to that which is not God equates, imho, to idolatry.

Therefore, not only is it not justified in Scripture to treat the Bible as infallible, it also breaks the first commandment. So it is quite safe to decide not to go down this road, and to allow the Bible to be what it is, and not more. :wave:

Upvote 0

OldChurchGuy

Feb 19, 2007
✟15,752.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Personally, I like Key's response since I am seen as a "liberal Christian" by some.

I am reading a book now entitled "Leaving the Fold" by Edward Babinski. It is a collection of tetimonies by various Fundamentalists who left Fundamentalism. Some became "liberal Christians", others found other faiths, and still others abandoned theism altogether. It might be of help to you in carving out a Christian faith you can live with even if your parents have trouble accepting it. If nothing else, you will understand that you are not alone.

Getting on to your question, for me the Bible is a collection of stories written by many people over centuries all trying to explain what it is like to know God. Do I believe it is inspired? Yes. Do I believe it is Divinely inspired? Probably. Do I believe it is inerrant? No.

Good luck on your quest. May you find that peace which passes understanding.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi, your font is hard to read for me as is very tiny but I was able to read it.

I'm sorry that your parents have possibly led to disappointment about God and the bible.

Parents are sinful people like all, and we are all weak, and have failings and so it's good to keep that in mind as you are seeking.

If they are what is commonly called bible bashers, that's like the quickest way to turn many off to whatever is said.

Also, if one questions someone's beliefs or asks for understanding of something and get the riot act read is also not good.

I believe that what is in the bible is true. I also take literally as do many, but not all, such as what occured in creation, the fall, Noah and the Ark, and other as well.

When one comes to Christ by faith, it is awesome; and is also a freedom never ever had before. Some people who are Christians however do not know anything but legalism. They prevent the Holy Spirit from working in someone's life, by dictating what one must do, etc.

God does indeed give commands, and we are commanded not to sin, but we do. Our heart alone is full of much sin, self righteousness, pride, etc., and will creep up here and there.

Real change comes from the desire of the heart, also the renewing of the mind through scripture.

Jesus said:
clean the inside of the cup first, then the outside will be clean.

He spoke such as many were doing as what sounds like your parents may be doing, is trying to force in a sense you to change on the outside.

The above scripture refutes such.

I would dare say they may also be adding to scripture restrictions that are not in the bible.
It is you alone, no one else, and with God's help and guidance into truth that your heart will change.

I was under legalism at one point and it was horrible. I couldn't even read scripture for almost a year as it yelled at me, instead of as normal; teaching, helping, and treasuring all read.

So this sounds like what's occuring, and I would suggest friend, that you not walk away from God due to what others impose on you.

This happens to many people (who are being bible bashed and bashed with legalism), and is not the way of God. He talks of this much in the gospels.

Jesus loves you very much and your relationship with Him is personal and He will guide you into all truths.

It does take time to recover from being under legalism, but one does recover.

We are free in Christ. One comes to Christ and we change; some slowly, some faster; we are all different and have different things to deal with. God knows that, knows our heart; so don't let yourself be judged by another (in your thoughts); judge yourself, by this I mean; look inside your heart to see where you are at.

A good Christian friend is a big help. Someone who will not judge you and will also help you; and you in turn also helping them. As when questions come to us, it helps us grow, since we need think about things and study the bible as well.

God bless you in your journey,
tapero

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Merlin

Paradigm Buster
Sep 29, 2005
Avalon Island
✟17,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is the inspired inerrant word of God.
It was translated into English as well as could be done, but that allows for errors to creep into our English understanding.
Some words have opposite meanings today, as compared to when the translation was made.
Newer translations often follow older translations.
Then, some words are translated to accomodate 'western' style, rather than Hebrew literal.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, the Bible is absolutely correct. Its the most true book in the world. Why? Because the evidence speaks for itself just like the law of gravity.

I'm a christian spiritually first and intellectually second. Also, read Evidence Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell (it would stand up in a court of law) and Examine the Evidence by Muncaster (a former athiest).

And go to www.reasons.org - belief and science. I'm a scientist and science validates it also in the bible and outside of it.

Biblical Evidence (Scratching the Surface Only)

Internal Evidences
Prophesies that are confirmed within Bible

- Life of Christ
The Tribe of Judah, Gen 49:10 - Luke 3:23-28
(Genesis was written 4004 BC to 1689 BC)
(Luke's time period is 60-70 AD)

Royal Line of David, Jer 23:5 -Matt 1:1
(Jeremiah 760 to 698 BC)/(Matthew 60-70 AD)

Born of a Virgin, Isaiah 7:14/Matt 1:18-23
(Isaiah 760 to 698 BC)/(60-70 AD)

**I can list at least 20 more of these.
-Rise of Empires
In the book of Daniel, Chapter 2 - four kingdoms are described in the interpretation of the dream of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek - Daniel 8:21, 10:20) and a fourth great kingdom to follow - part iron and clay - which is the Roman Empire - during this empire Christ came and the church was established - Daniel 2:44.

-Historical Accuracy
The Bible is loaded with historical statements concerning events hundreds of years ago, yet has not been proven incorrect on any.
(Bible compared to other ancient documents):
New Testament - starts at 25 years - between original and first surviving copies
Homer - starts at 500 years
Demosthenes - at 1400 years
Plato - at 1200 years
Caesar - at 1000 years

Number of Manuscript Copies
New Testament - 5,686
Homer - 643
Demosthenes - 200
Plato - 7
Caesar - 10

Consistency
Written by at least 40 men over a period of time exceeding 1400 years, and has no internal inconsistencies.

Claim of Inspiration
It claims to be spoken by God, 2 Tim 3:16-17). No other religious book makes such claims.

External Evidences
(Prophesies Outside the Bible)
These cities were prophesied to be destroyed and never be built again.
Nineveh - Nahum 1:10, 3:7,15, Zephaniah 2:13-14
Babylon - Isaiah 13:1-22)
Tyre (Ezekiel 26:1-28)

Bible before Science
He hangs the earth on nothing - Job 26:7
(Job was written at least 1000 years ago - some scholars think it could be even 3000 years ago)
Note: Man only knew this for 350 years
Earth is a sphere, Isaiah 40:22
Air has weight, Job 28:25
Gravity - Job 26:7, Job 38:31-33
Winds blow in cyclones, Eccl 1:6

Documents that Prove Bible is True
Gilgamesh Epic, The Sumerian King List, Mari Tablets, Babylonian Chronicles

Archealogoical Finds
Excavations of Ur, Location of Zoar, Ziggurats and the foundation of Tower of Babel

Reactions: GreenMunchkin
Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never understood how the bible can be "lost in translation". Funny how god can create the entire universe as intricately as he supposedly did, but he cannot speak perfectly clearly with his creation.

God can create all the small, perfectly executed functions of the human eyeball, but he cannot say something clearly to his creation so that it will not be misconstrued....i see.

Well, allow me to explain, you will notice in our previous discussions, where you have twisted what I said, put words in my mouth that I have not said, and drew all kinds of conclusions that were not there to begin with. Now, if you can do that, with a simple exchange between you and I, how much easier would it be to do that with the words of over a 100 authors, that were from a different language, and they had limited space to write, so they could not expound on every detail.

You have your own example, by the example you have provided, with our little exchange. Life provides you answers, if you do not learn form them, that is your choice.

I hope this answers your questions regarding that.

God Bless

Key

Reactions: Digit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

While not all Christians would say it exactly like this, here's what I believe:

The 66 Books of the biblical canon (39 OT, 27 NT) are the verbally, plenaricly inspired and inerrant Word of God as originally given.

"Verbally" means the actual words of the autographs were breathed out by God. "Plenary" means every word of the autographs was breathed out by God.

However, I believe God did not ignore the languages, cultures and even personalities of the 40ish human authors whom He used to pen His Bible. Rather, I believe God used these characteristics in formulating His work, but nevertheless supervened the process such that the end product turned out just the way He wanted it to.

That said, it sounds like your Mom and Dad believe the King James Version is perfect. If this is so, I must strongly disagree. While subsequent copies and translations of the Bible might do a pretty good job of preserving God's ideas, only the original documents can be considered letter perfect. As a consequence, I usually advise people to study from a variety of English translations. This collection may or may not include the King James; it really doesn't matter.

I am just so very sorry that you have had such an unpleasant experience with your parents' religious convictions. While I am strongly committed to sharing my faith as the Bible commands [Matthew 28:18-20; 1 Peter 3:15], I believe this must be done with gentleness and respect. Bible bashing is uncalled for, and generally ineffective.

Before you walk away from Jesus forever, why not try walking away from your parents' church? Find a conservative evangelical church like ours where questions are warmly welcomed and people are allowed to grow at their own pace. God loves you and He still has a wonderful plan for your life...if you're willing.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, it is inspired and it is self evident that it is. For example, if one just takes 5 prophesies alone concerning the birth of Christ and have them all come to past by human effort (alone); its a one in a billion chance of this happening. The Bible has hundreds of detailed prophesies that has come true and more to be fulfilled. Also, a great book is Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell (it would stand up in court concerning biblical evidence).

Biblical Evidence (Scratching the Surface Only)

Internal Evidences
Prophesies that are confirmed within Bible

- Life of Christ
The Tribe of Judah, Gen 49:10 - Luke 3:23-28
(Genesis was written 4004 BC to 1689 BC)
(Luke's time period is 60-70 AD)

Royal Line of David, Jer 23:5 -Matt 1:1
(Jeremiah 760 to 698 BC)/(Matthew 60-70 AD)

Born of a Virgin, Isaiah 7:14/Matt 1:18-23
(Isaiah 760 to 698 BC)/(60-70 AD)

**I can list at least 20 more of these.
-Rise of Empires
In the book of Daniel, Chapter 2 - four kingdoms are described in the interpretation of the dream of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek - Daniel 8:21, 10:20) and a fourth great kingdom to follow - part iron and clay - which is the Roman Empire - during this empire Christ came and the church was established - Daniel 2:44.

-Historical Accuracy
The Bible is loaded with historical statements concerning events hundreds of years ago, yet has not been proven incorrect on any.
(Bible compared to other ancient documents):
New Testament - starts at 25 years - between original and first surviving copies
Homer - starts at 500 years
Demosthenes - at 1400 years
Plato - at 1200 years
Caesar - at 1000 years

Number of Manuscript Copies
New Testament - 5,686
Homer - 643
Demosthenes - 200
Plato - 7
Caesar - 10

Consistency
Written by at least 40 men over a period of time exceeding 1400 years, and has no internal inconsistencies.

Claim of Inspiration
It claims to be spoken by God, 2 Tim 3:16-17). No other religious book makes such claims.

External Evidences
(Prophesies Outside the Bible)
These cities were prophesied to be destroyed and never be built again.
Nineveh - Nahum 1:10, 3:7,15, Zephaniah 2:13-14
Babylon - Isaiah 13:1-22)
Tyre (Ezekiel 26:1-28)

Bible before Science
He hangs the earth on nothing - Job 26:7
(Job was written at least 1000 years ago - some scholars think it could be even 3000 years ago)
Note: Man only knew this for 350 years
Earth is a sphere, Isaiah 40:22
Air has weight, Job 28:25
Gravity - Job 26:7, Job 38:31-33
Winds blow in cyclones, Eccl 1:6

Documents that Prove Bible is True
Gilgamesh Epic, The Sumerian King List, Mari Tablets, Babylonian Chronicles

Archealogoical Finds
Excavations of Ur, Location of Zoar, Ziggurats and the foundation of Tower of Babel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi Ehrenkreuz,

I think the Bible is a collection of works from man, that was inspired by God. Whether inspired means the same as being inspired by a sunset to write a poem, or whether it means God used men to place the exact words He saw fit, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm tempted to say the latter. My reason being that all Christians believe that our world is acting out God's plan, and that God is (more or less) holding the knowledge of everything that has past and everything that is to come, so it would make more sense to me to believe that God worked through man to create a collection of books that represented what He wanted. Including any subtle differences in the accounts that talk about the same thing.

I think in anyones life, there will come a stage where you begin to question what is presented to you. In addition, it's very hard for a family to accept their child growing up into an adult, and/or not sharing their beliefs. Don't be too hard on your parents, and I hope they aren't too hard on you. I think what you are doing is absolutely, and comprehensively the correct thing to do, in questioning what you believe, as it's the most important thing in this world really and I hope it leads you to truth, it will most likely be quite a journey, I know I've changed my views often enough.

I would say, don't worry about what I think. I mean, if you are questioning what your parents think, why would you care what I or anyone else here thinks? ;) I went through a similar stage as you though, where I had to seperate the faith from the people, because ultimately I didn't like many of the people in the faith, and they happened to be the ones who were most vocal about getting me in the faith, which meant that for most of my life I wasn't a Christian. Since then, I've found time to do as you are doing, and find out what I believe. As it turns out, I believe in God, and as it also turns out, for completely different reasons than my parents or family, not that I think they are wrong though (they weren't the people I didn't like that I mentioned earlier btw - just in case you think I hate my family ;)).

Anyhow, I have drafted three rules that I apply to my Christian faith, maybe they will help you:

1) Ultimately, it's not about other people. It's about me, and God, and how we relate to each other. It's about our relationship, or lack thereof. The guy on the corner is not important, my family is not important, the president is not important, only I am and in this decision and it's about God, so He is too.
2) There are questions whose answers escape me. Sometimes I need faith to take God on His word, in this respect I always remember what Hebrews 11 says about faith, and I try not to let the unattainable get in my way of my life with God.

Lastly.

3) As you know, having radically differing beliefs than those of your parents, I test things. Christianity is not about ignorance, it's about truth.

1 Thessalonians 5:21
"Test everything. Hold on to the good."

It's really important that you don't accept what other people say, that you search for answers and that it's about what you you think, not what other people do, or what other people want you to think under duress.

So yeah, they have helped me a great deal, because now I ultimately follow God, instead of following other people's belief and views in God.

Also, second-lastly, Ebia mentioned there are many Chrisitans who can look at the Bible as a historical record and read it like that, this is what I think you should do, because some of the obvious things escape us sometimes, like the word "Testiment." I never realised until recently, that it's called that, because the people within who wrote these events are giving their testimony of what they saw, heard and researched in that time. :)

Cheers!
Digit

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I believe the Bible is the infallable Word of God.

Where things sometimes fall down is in interpretation.

So do you have an example of something in the bible that you deem to be fallable?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I was raised in a Baptist household and rebelled HEAVILY for about 13 years until God got hold of me with heavy conviction and I returned to Him.

But even during my wild escapades those years I always knew & believed the Bible was 100% true in what it taught.
In what I understand of what I studied about how our bible came to be, I come to this basic conclusion: the teachings and intents are 100% infallible and true - what contains 'error' are some translative discrepancies of certain Greek/Hebrew words - and I believe there were some transpositions along the way, some numerolical issues, etc.
But nothing has harmed the intent or teaching so as to change a doctrine. In other words, none of the translative errors or discrepancies that came to exist change any essential / central doctrines that affect our salvation or change God.
Much of it IS in tact and completely reliable.

You can get into a slippery slope of using "bible error" to start dismantling the bible teachings to cherry pick out what you dislike & keep what you like - many have fallen into that pit are even denying essential truth's that salvation hinges on over time.
That's where it can easily lead and it's becoming more and more prevalent today.

Upvote 0