do you believe that there is that one person out there for everyone? (marriage)

cplsamcorion

Jul 20, 2007
✟15,185.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess this has kind of popped into my head recently because I was talking to someone about how I would rather not have kids and was wondering.. do you think that there is one specific person you are supposed to be with or is it that there are many different people out there that you could have a successful marriage with?
Marriage is mostly just loving the other person beyond the annoying things they do and past differing opinions (as far as I see it), so why couldn't it work with more than one person.

waywardone

Oct 22, 2006
Edgerton, Kansas
✟7,696.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I have to disagree. Marriage is embracing all the things that annoy you about that person, and seeing well beyond the simply human needs. To me, I am amazingly crazy for my wife. She calms my nerves, makes me smile, supports all of my stupid ventures, and even encourages me when I am ready to walk out the door. Anyways, when you need that person more than air, that is when you know you have the one. As for children, truly they are a blessing from God, nothing is more fulfilling than t watch a child grow in God under your care.

Upvote 0

Fed

Veteran
Dec 24, 2004
CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think, by definition, there is one person out there that is more ideal than everyone else. What I don't believe is that you're destined to meet that person. People grow to love each other and you can be satisfied with someone who's not the most ideal person in the world.

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I feel that if there were only one person, then most people wouldn't be able to marry at all. I mean, everyone sins and goes against God's life plan for us. And our sin effects not only ourselves, but others. What if one destined partner dies, or marries the wrong person?

I think that for most individuals, there are a few people that would make an ideal match. Obviously there are some people that are meant to remain single and maybe there are even a few that do have to be paired up with a specific partner for some reason, but for the most part I think God is merciful enough to give us some backup plans.

Upvote 0

Ainuhina

Lord, send Revival - start with me!
Nov 7, 2004
Graz, Austria
Visit site
✟35,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't know what I think...really...I just know that I believe that there is ONE man out there for me and that I'm gonna wait for him even if it takes the rest of my life....though I have no clue how I will know when I met him :angel:

about a year ago I commited the whole issue to God - before that the first thought when meeting a boy was "is he the ONE?" and I was sick of that....so I just prayed to God that if I stopp thinking that He will tell me when it's the right one...I stopped worrying and started waiting :) and so far it works pretty well for me....

There might be more than one person out there with whom a marriage would work for me - but I'm not gonna settle with less than the perfect match God planed for me :angel:

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2004
Mount Airy, NC
Visit site
✟1,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just my 2 cents.

I think that there is one person out there, that we could have the greatest marriage in the world with, if we pursue that relationship instead of giving up. These kinds of deep relationships arent' made in just a few minutes, hours or months, this relationship grows as people continue to grow. It's a test of your patience as well as your comittment to a person (probably also a test of self-control as you decide to "wait" for marriage).

However, sometimes people "settle" for something instead of looking for the "one". These "settlements" can be just as good or just as sucessful.

Upvote 0

emilina22

Jun 10, 2007
chicago
Visit site
✟15,538.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
my opnion is that God know what he has set for you, he knows whats going to happen to you and your life, and whether that be to get married, start a family and then God forbid something were to happen to your spouse (other than divorce) there may be another person out there that you are compatible with. to say that there is one person out there for the rest of your life is ideal becasue when you are in love and you are getting married to that ONE person thats what it is, and thats what gods plan is, but if something were to happen to your spouse i do think that there are other people that God may have set out for you, NOTE that i do not condone cheating and i would never see myself marrying any one other than my boyfriend. But who am i to say what Gods will is...its up to him and not me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

Lead

I guess this has kind of popped into my head recently because I was talking to someone about how I would rather not have kids and was wondering.. do you think that there is one specific person you are supposed to be with or is it that there are many different people out there that you could have a successful marriage with?
Marriage is mostly just loving the other person beyond the annoying things they do and past differing opinions (as far as I see it), so why couldn't it work with more than one person.
I think that God has appointed a specific person for each of us. I get that from the story of Isaac and Rebeca. The servant, when he was praying, said something along the lines of "let her be the one you have appointed for my master's son." You can look it up. I think it is around Genesis 17.

What happens if you marry the wrong person? I believe that once you are married to a the "wrong" person, that person automatically becomes the "right" person. In other words, it may not have been God's best, but you have made a vow and you must absolutely keep it. The reason for that is, that God no longer wants you to marry that first person He had in mind, he wants you to stay with the person to whom you have made a commitment. Furthermore, God will be faithful and provide grace enough grace to deal with the situation.

God has said "I hate divorce." That right there tells us that God wants people to stay together once married and He will provide enough grace to do so.

On the issue of "love." I believe love is a choice to a certain extent. If it wasn't why would men be commanded to "love their wives as Christ loved the church." However, just because love is a choice, it does not negate the fact that God has a specific person picked out for us. The reason for this is that the two are seperate and distinct. You may love one person but God may have another picked out for you. Then choose to love the person that God has picked out for you. I hope I am making sense.

Upvote 0

Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think that God has appointed a specific person for each of us. I get that from the story of Isaac and Rebeca. The servant, when he was praying, said something along the lines of "let her be the one you have appointed for my master's son." You can look it up. I think it is around Genesis 17.

What happens if you marry the wrong person? I believe that once you are married to a the "wrong" person, that person automatically becomes the "right" person. In other words, it may not have been God's best, but you have made a vow and you must absolutely keep it. The reason for that is, that God no longer wants you to marry that first person He had in mind, he wants you to stay with the person to whom you have made a commitment. Furthermore, God will be faithful and provide grace enough grace to deal with the situation.

God has said "I hate divorce." That right there tells us that God wants people to stay together once married and He will provide enough grace to do so.
Interesting. In a way it is like saying there is more than one, its just some are better than others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.