Do you believe priests/pastors are closer to God?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Just curious about what you believe.
Depends on the requirements to become one.

In some situations novices straight outta seminary become pastors.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Depends on the requirements to become one.

In some situations novices straight outta seminary become pastors.
Yes, that's problematic.
One should first become a deacon or something like that.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious about what you believe.
No they are just a bit more knowledgeable. And with that knowledge they must be correct which that in its self can disqualify many from even being teachers. God judges those in this position more harshly than the rest of us. We should pray for them.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pastor/priests are certainly held to high expectations but history has shown that they are just as fallible as any other human being.
I don't believe closeness to God has to do with infallibility.

No human being is infallible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that the office confers special spirituality upon the holder, but I do notice that clergy seem to be both closer to and much farther from God than the average layman. To commit to a position of teaching others is an increased responsibility and an increased privilege, which tends to drive a person further in one direction or another.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe that the office confers special spirituality upon the holder, but I do notice that clergy seem to be both closer to and much farther from God than the average layman. To commit to a position of teaching others is an increased responsibility and an increased privilege, which tends to drive a person further in one direction or another.

You know, that is true!

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't believe that ordained clergy are necessarily closer to God than lay Christians. The life of a priest is one that keeps one close to God, and I respect the difficult work that priests do. But I also respect the life and ministry of the laity. The life of a lay Christian, well lived, in prayer and ministry, can also bring one close to God. The clergy and the laity have different ministries, but both paths can lead to theosis/santification.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Nope, I believe in the concept of the "priesthood of all believers" in which all have direct access to God without any mediators besides Jesus Christ who is our high priest. It would do us all well...clergy and laypeople alike...to practice the presence of God every moment of every day.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nope, I believe in the concept of the "priesthood of all believers"

1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have has a shift in many modern churches from "father led" to "teacher led" congregations.

This relates to a shift from Wisdom to Knowledge...

This leads to a lack of Pastoral care... Remember how the Vicar used to visit every family?

Good management skills are sought after and cultivating family is less of a priority

Leaders can enter the occupation as a career choice.

Godliness is not high on the agenda - credentials and charisma would seem to be the order of the day.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This leads to a lack of Pastoral care... Remember how the Vicar used to visit every family?

Ugh, I hate this kind of argument.

Yes, there was a time - perhaps - when clergy spent four days a week visiting, one writing a sermon, and one taking services (with one day off). That was also a time when what was expected of clergy was very different, and the tools available to do it were very different.

I can't administrate the parish, manage compliance with a raft of different legal obligations, deliver in-depth teaching programs to people of every age from newborn to 90-something, lead creative and vibrant worship midweek and on Sundays and in nursing homes, spearhead all sorts of community building and outreach activities, and manage more than a couple of pastoral visits a week, who are likely to be folks in particular crisis. (In fact, I can't manage all of that anyway, but that's a separate issue).

Also, technology has changed. Today pastoral care might mean that I scroll through my FB feed, notice that a parishioner has posted about having skin cancer, pick up the phone and ring and ask how they are. I'm not visiting, but that doesn't mean I'm out of touch.

More on topic: no, I don't believe that clergy are, by default, closer to God than laity. There are many incredibly faithful, prayerful, profoundly holy people who are not called to ordained ministry. I would hope, at least, that indifference to God is not really an option for the clergy.

Upvote 0