Do you believe in Creationism or Evolutionism?

Are you a Creationist as per the OP definition.. a literal 7 day week of creation. Gen 1?

• yes

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • yes but I think that the entire galaxy as well as Earth, Sun and moon were created in those 7 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I think the entire universe was created in in those 7 literal days

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • yes - but the Bible is wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes - but I mix evolution with it in some way

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No - but since I believe the Bible I think of this as a kind of creationism

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No - creationism is wrong, the Bible is wrong, I believe evolution is the real truth

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but it is a serious matter or subject to consider if you know your acquaintance to be an evolutionist.
Repentance and belief in Jesus/God are the starting point...some of the conversion accounts found in Acts show a turning from the sinner's former way of thinking and acting to accepting the Truth/Jesus and His Word.
If I were to testify to someone perhaps it would be due to a conversation revealing they leaned evolutionist in their thinking. In such cases there is usually a denial of the Creator. That poses an obstacle to faith in God and would need to be carefully and patiently explained away and shown it is in contradiction to the Scriptures.
I love these passages along with the Genesis account for Scripture references:

For the word of the Lord is right and true;
he is faithful in all he does.
5 The Lord loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of his unfailing love.

6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
7 He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
he puts the deep into storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
let all the people of the world revere him.
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.
(Psalm 33:4-9; NIV 2011)

and...

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. (Hebrews 11:1-3; NIV 2011)

So the matter of time to present these truths would depend on the situation and how the topic came up and was broached.

Preaching the gospel is what will save a person, and it is what grounds them in the truth. It is not winning cleverly devised arguments on Young Earth Creationism vs. Evolution. While some folks have stated that they have been helped by the resources in Young Earth Creationism, if they turn out to focus on that like AIG, then they miss the point of the faith.

I have studied Young Earth Creationism a lot when I rededicated my life to Christ in serving Him a long while back. For me: This kind of study is sort of like kindergarten basics of the Bible. So yes, while it is important, there comes a point where Christians need to move beyond these basics and focus on the more important matters like the love of God and Soteriology in Christ Jesus. It does not mean we neglect Young Earth Creationism altogether, but it simply is not our primary message or focus as Christians. Jesus is the focus of our ministry. AIG (Answers in Genesis) while a helpful resource, is making the main focus of their ministry as being the defense of Young Earth Creationism. I remember watching the Creation Today Show (Another Young Creation Ministry) a lot back in the day, and while they had some nice videos that backed up the Bible, they did not always talk about Jesus. For me: If there is no mention of Jesus as the focus of one's ministry, it misses the point about what the Bible is really about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well remember that they are called to defend a portion of the faith and they are doing so faithfully!

someone who is focused on evangelism will probably not be a strong teacher of doctrine! God spread teh gifts out so that He can hone us in the specific gift ministries so we can effectively serve the Body in teh ministries He calls us all to.

I believe there are diversities of gifts in the body of Christ, but preaching Young Earth Creationism as the main focus of your ministry is not really one of them in my opinion. If I am wrong, then you need to show me where in the Bible where some NT believers preached Young Earth Creationism as their main message? For when I read the Scriptures, the focus has always been on Jesus Christ and salvation in Him, and it is not God creating everything. While the Word who is God and who was made flesh created all things, this knowledge alone is not what will save us. Just knowing Jesus is the Creator will not save me if that is all I know. The gospel is what saves.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God only came once in human flesh (another unprecedented event) -- but we can eisegete wildly into the gospels simply because it is a singular one-time event.

The exodus only happened once and was very unique and unprecedented event with 10 plagues -- but we can not eisegete wildly into the exodus account

Exegesis is best.

we may already agree on this point.
of course, each event has its own uniqueness and we need to be wise with how we look at these uniquenesses to help us understand the accounts. In matters of creation, it is describing pre-history, before anything was written down. When we look at the Hebrews their written history doesn't start until Moses so there is a gap of 2500 years of written history (oral history would have started at Abraham). Since this seems to be about matters of how we interpret time, it would seem a 2500 year gap has a reasonable bearing on how the account should be understood. This would be like the gospels being written 500 years from now.

A critical explanation of the text (exegesis) doesn't look at the text in isolation but also factors all aspects of the text that is available to us and 2500 years is certainly on the table as a part of that exegesis as well as cultural and sociological systems of that time (the time of Moses when the text was presented).

A good exegesis is akin to an archaeological excavation of the accounts that factors in all the surrounding information as well. Otherwise, we dig up a clay pot and all we see is a clay pot and nothing more but have no knowledge as to the purpose or function of the clay pot because we refuse to go beyond what's in front of us. Looking at the accounts "as is" and in isolation forces a literal vacuum because it doesn't have enough information to make responsible interpretations and it also is not good exegesis (all you see is a clay pot and nothing more).

To me, this account has nothing to do with its literalness and I am perfectly happy for you to view it as literal and another to view it as non-literal. There are of course some caveats to these approaches in that our goal is not to remove God from creation, which is non-negotiable, nor glorify the literalness of the account above its role and purpose. The deeper meanings of the account are the most important and the ones we should be discussing right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No creation or evolution text claims that "evening" used to last 500 years on Earth and "morning" lasted another 500 years. It does not help us to try and insert that idea in because it does not make it "fit better" into anything known or proposed for the history of life on Earth.

Peter was quoting Psalms 90:4 that says, For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, And as a watch in the night.

We think a thousand years is a long time but for God it is as yesterday.

Now move on to 2 Peter 3:5-8
For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Now watch the video and be amazed at how the continents have shifted over millions of years and are still moving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Preaching the gospel is what will save a person, and it is what grounds them in the truth. It is not winning cleverly devised arguments on Young Earth Creationism vs. Evolution. While some folks have stated that they have been helped by the resources in Young Earth Creationism, if they turn out to focus on that like AIG, then they miss the point of the faith.

I have studied Young Earth Creationism a lot when I rededicated my life to Christ in serving Him a long while back. For me: This kind of study is sort of like kindergarten basics of the Bible. So yes, while it is important, there comes a point where Christians need to move beyond these basics and focus on the more important matters like the love of God and Soteriology in Christ Jesus. It does not mean we neglect Young Earth Creationism altogether, but it simply is not our primary message or focus as Christians. Jesus is the focus of our ministry. AIG (Answers in Genesis) while a helpful resource, is making the main focus of their ministry as being the defense of Young Earth Creationism. I remember watching the Creation Today Show (Another Young Creation Ministry) a lot back in the day, and while they had some nice videos that backed up the Bible, they did not always talk about Jesus. For me: If there is no mention of Jesus as the focus of one's ministry, it misses the point about what the Bible is really about.
“If they believe not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one raises from the dead” Luke 16:31

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Peter was quoting Psalms 90:4 that says, For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, And as a watch in the night.

We think a thousand years is a long time but for God it is as yesterday.

No doubt and when God the Father is writing / communicating to God the Son he may use references to time and events that are not the same as it would be for non-God beings that live inside God's framework
of time.

Still God is "aware" of that framework of time that He created and as the time prophecies and historic facts recorded in the Bible show us - He can state time-based facts accurately. He is also "the great communicator".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
of course, each event has its own uniqueness and we need to be wise with how we look at these uniquenesses to help us understand the accounts.

No doubt the many many recorded examples in the Bible of unique events - do not provide us with any open doors for eisegesis ... the terms and meaning clearly set by the text and the context -- Moses was no darwinist and neither were his contemporary readers. His text is structured as a historic account.

In matters of creation, it is describing pre-history, before anything was written down.

The entire life of Moses prior to Sinai occurred before any Bible text had been written down. All timelines it described ... still accurate. When God communicates a time sequence like 7 days, and using time terms like evening-and-morning He does so with perfect accuracy for the intended audience.

Since this seems to be about matters of how we interpret time, it would seem a 2500 year gap has a reasonable bearing on how the account should be understood.

Nothing in the Bible says that evening-and-morning is 2500 years or that 7 day sequences sometimes have 2500 year gaps or that the plants on Earth had 2500 years of night followed by 2500 years of day, or that plants existed 2500 years before the sun "was made"

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No doubt and when God the Father is writing / communicating to God the Son he may use references to time and events that are not the same as it would be for non-God beings that live inside God's framework
of time.

Still God is "aware" of that framework of time that He created and as the time prophecies and historic facts recorded in the Bible show us - He can state time-based facts accurately. He is also "the great communicator".
In which case we should all believe God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning and not just ten thousand years ago.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In which case we should all believe God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning and not just ten thousand years ago.

Both are true for the Earth. The Universe was created sometime before that I just don't know how long ago, since only "two lights" are made on day 4 of Genesis 1.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As I stated in my post I agreed with your statement that the Gospel is the focus of outreach. No one starts out any other direction I would assume although this may be the door the Lord opens for a discussion of the Gospel. It was not my intention to say or imply that young earth vs old earth is to be our focus nor become our focus in outreach. I was aiming my statement at those who believe NOT in God because their belief in evolution excludes Him...thus negating the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Both are true for the Earth. The Universe was created sometime before that I just don't know how long ago, since only "two lights" are made on day 4 of Genesis 1.
It takes millions of years for the light of stars to reach earth. The sun and moon are nearest to earth so we see their light first. I am constantly amazed by the accuracy of the Biblical account, it can only have happened by divine inspiration. Nobody was there to see it.

So, after the sun and the moon we are talking millions of years for the stars to appear. Read below:-

"The life cycle of a star spans billions of years. As a general rule, the more massive the star, the shorter its life span.

Birth takes place inside hydrogen-based dust clouds called nebulae. Over the course of thousands of years, gravity causes pockets of dense matter inside the nebula to collapse under their own weight. One of these contracting masses of gas, known as a protostar, represents a star’s nascent phase. Because the dust in the nebulae obscures them, protostars can be difficult for astronomers to detect.

As a protostar gets smaller, it spins faster because of the conservation of angular momentum—the same principle that causes a spinning ice skater to accelerate when she pulls in her arms. Increasing pressure creates rising temperatures, and during this time, a star enters what is known as the relatively brief T Tauri phase.

Millions of years later, when the core temperature climbs to about 27 million degrees Fahrenheit (15 million degrees Celsius), nuclear fusion begins, igniting the core and setting off the next—and longest—stage of a star’s life, known as its main sequence.

Everything you wanted to know about stars"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The number "two" is conspicuous in that quote as being the number of lights made on day 4.

As creationists we would agree that God "made the stars also" but when?

In vs 16 "He made" is inserted... so in the text it is just "the stars also" as ruling the night.

They were not made on day 4. Only two lights made on day four in that chapter.

So what does God do with those two lights?

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Well the greater light is the sun during the day and the lesser light is the moon which is a reflected light to rule the night!

Gen 1 the birds fly in the "midst of the heavens"

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Well open literally means face, and firmament is an expanse.

It is quite possible that there was a physical barrier in heaven that was translucent and held back the waters that poured out on the flood of Noahs day! that face of the expanse would be gone now of course, but it is possible and even probable!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe there are diversities of gifts in the body of Christ, but preaching Young Earth Creationism as the main focus of your ministry is not really one of them in my opinion. If I am wrong, then you need to show me where in the Bible where some NT believers preached Young Earth Creationism as their main message? For when I read the Scriptures, the focus has always been on Jesus Christ and salvation in Him, and it is not God creating everything. While the Word who is God and who was made flesh created all things, this knowledge alone is not what will save us. Just knowing Jesus is the Creator will not save me if that is all I know. The gospel is what saves.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well you won't find it! Why? Because evolution was not a lie back then being promulgated by science and "preachers" .

But when a philosophy attacks the sovereignty of God and it is being believed by sincere Christians, we must arise and defend the truth!

Jude
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied. Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. ...

1 Timothy 6:20
O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

Science is supposed to be a search for knowledge, fact andtruth. when Science falsely so called rejects the reality of God, calling Him irrelavent- we must stand and fight.

We don't get to pick our battlefields, but when a philosophy attacks the faith delivered to us- we must contend against it wherever it attacks.

Maybe you should write to ICR or AIG and see that Jesus is the focus of their life and their websites are Biblical and scientific studies on Creation to counter the lies of evolution. I know several of the folks and their love os for the Lord, but as scientists they are researching and reporting in their fields and exposing falsehoods

Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well you won't find it! Why? Because evolution was not a lie back then being promulgated by science and "preachers" .

But when a philosophy attacks the sovereignty of God and it is being believed by sincere Christians, we must arise and defend the truth!

Jude
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied. Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. ...

1 Timothy 6:20
O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

Science is supposed to be a search for knowledge, fact andtruth. when Science falsely so called rejects the reality of God, calling Him irrelavent- we must stand and fight.

We don't get to pick our battlefields, but when a philosophy attacks the faith delivered to us- we must contend against it wherever it attacks.

Maybe you should write to ICR or AIG and see that Jesus is the focus of their life and their websites are Biblical and scientific studies on Creation to counter the lies of evolution. I know several of the folks and their love os for the Lord, but as scientists they are researching and reporting in their fields and exposing falsehoods

There were men who denied the existence of God back then.

Psalms 14:1 says,
“The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.”

I am sure they tried to rationalize that it was all naturalistic and or by science, too.

The way we fight back is by preaching the gospel, and praying and loving our enemies. It is staying focused on our mission of loving God and loving others.

“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God” (1 Corinthians 1:18).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I stated in my post I agreed with your statement that the Gospel is the focus of outreach. No one starts out any other direction I would assume although this may be the door the Lord opens for a discussion of the Gospel. It was not my intention to say or imply that young earth vs old earth is to be our focus nor become our focus in outreach. I was aiming my statement at those who believe NOT in God because their belief in evolution excludes Him...thus negating the Gospel.

The gospel is never negated. God's Word does not return void. It is God who convicts men of their sin. I used to be an atheist for a time, and it was not by cleverly devised arguments that won me over to God. It was love. God softened my heart with love over the years before the Lord opened my heart to see the truth. So when I was presented of the gospel, and the Spirit convicted me of my sin, I sought forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ and believed that Christ died for my sins. I asked Christ to come into my life, and I was changed.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The gospel is never negated. God's Word does not return void.

God's word is invalidated by the teaching of man according to Christ.

Mark 7
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother, is certainly to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’ 12 you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Not that God sees His Word as useless but it is made of non-effect by those swallowing that error.

It is God who convicts men of their sin. I used to be an atheist for a time, and it was not by cleverly devised arguments that won me over to God. It was love.

in any case while you were atheist you received no benefit from the gospel... first you had to be convinced you even had a problem to be solved.

God softened my heart with love over the years before the Lord opened my heart to see the truth. So when I was presented of the gospel, and the Spirit convicted me of my sin, I sought forgiveness

The doctrine of atheism holds that there is no god and therefore you could not sin against him or his Word. As you point out the Holy Spirit convicted you regardless of the doctrines you were holding as fact that worked directly against the entire message of the gospel.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God's word is invalidated by the teaching of man according to Christ.

Mark 7
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother, is certainly to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’ 12 you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Not that God sees His Word as useless but it is made of non-effect by those swallowing that error.

This does not invalidate the truth that God's Word does not return void.
While men can invalidate the Bible, and even attempt to destroy the faith, God's Word will always go out and not return void. I tend to look at the glass half full and not half empty, don't you?

You said:
in any case while you were atheist you received no benefit from the gospel... first you had to be convinced you even had a problem to be solved.

The doctrine of atheism holds that there is no god and therefore you could not sin against him or his Word. As you point out the Holy Spirit convicted you regardless of the doctrines you were holding as fact that worked directly against the entire message of the gospel.

Not sure you know the whole story in what was going on in my life. What I said is the truth. I believe God used love to soften my heart to hear the truth of God's Word and to convict me of sin. When I say love, I had experienced what love was like growing up as a kid in highschool like many kids do when they are teenagers. When you know there is love, things in life have more meaning and purpose to things. Also, there was a close friend of mine whereby we both experienced unexplained coincidental occurences between each other. So things in life did not seem so meaningless like in the world of Evolution had taught. I believe these two things, and the Spirit convicting me of sin is what opened my perspective up more to the things of God.

• Agree
Reactions: 1an
Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,718.00
Faith
Baptist
While Macro-Evolutionism (Darwinism) is clearly false, there is a thing called Micro-Evolution which are changes within a species own kind. These are adaptations within a creature's own DNA so as to adapt to their environment. It's not an animal turning into a completely different kind or another animal altogether. Macro-Evolutionists confuse Micro-Evolution with Macro-Evolution. Macro-Evolution is clearly false because we do not have any proof for it.

Good grief, man! This is the 21st century! Micro-Evolution and Macro-Evolution are nothing but absurd, illiterate expressions dreamed up by radicalized Christian Fundamentalist to explain away the fact that the process of evolution has been observed and recorded both in the laboratory and in the field. However, microevolution and macroevolution are real and distinct processes.

The word microevolution was coined in 1911 to express the concept of changes in allele frequencies. These changes are due to four distinct processes:

1. mutation
2. selection, both natural and artificial
3. gene flow
4. genetic drift

Because these changes occur over time, as the time increases, the changes increase and speciation occurs. In 1939, the word macroevolution was coined to express the concept of changes at this and higher levels. Example of macroevolution have been extensively studied in both plants and animals.

Of particular interest to me are the very many studies of macroevolution in cats and the relevance of these studies to the story of Noah and the ark in Genesis 6-8. Creation Ministries International “defends” the story of the flood by calling to the witness stand a man named Tas Walker who has earned only a bachelor’s degree in a field of science—earth science, and not so much as a certificate of completion in any field of life science. He has also earned a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering and he flaunts that degree to deceive people into believing that he is an expert regarding young earth creationism just as Henry Morris did with his Ph.D. in hydraulic engineering even though neither man’s education in engineering was relevant to young earth creationism. Henry Morris was considered by his peers to be an ignorant fool, and Walker appears me to be ridiculously ignorant of science, and even more ignorant of the Bible.

In his booklet, The Genesis Flood, Fact or Fiction?, Tas Walker agrees with John Woodmorappe’s teaching that the word “kind” in Genesis (Hebrew, מִין) refers to what we now call a genus, as in “the cat kind, the horse kind, and the cow kind.” But, of course, this is nothing but young earth creationist mumbo jumbo because, for example, the “cat kind” is not a genus, but a family (Felidae) comprised of 14 genera. Furthermore, Woodmorappe and Walker claim that all modern animals in the cat kind “descended” from one “parent kind.” But—what do they mean by the word, “descended”? They mean a biological process known by everyone else as “maroevolution”!

About 10.8 million years ago, the cat family began to split off into 8 Lineages consisting of 2 subfamilies, 14 genera, and 41 species. (Kitchener et al. 2017. A revised taxonomy of the Felidae. The final report of the Cat Classification Task Force of the IUCN / SSC Cat Specialist Group.) The relationship of these groups to each other and the relative time of their splitting off has been learned and very well documented by comparing DNA sequences of all 41 species of cats. The actual time of the splitting off is learned from fossil records which young earth creationist believe to be radically misinterpreted.

Leopards (Panthera pardus) and ocelots (Leopardus pardalis) are phenotypically similar to each other, but genotypically dissimilar to each other. This is called convergent evolution and is due to the two genetically very different species having adapted to similar environments. Leopards belong to the Panthera Lineage that includes the leopards and six other species, but ocelots belong to the Leopardus lineage that includes the ocelots and seven other species. Both of these lineages descended (evolved) from the same Felid ancestor rather than one of them from the other. Therefore, it would have been absolutely necessary for one pair of cats (cats are ‘unclean animals—Leviticus 11)) from both lineages to have been aboard the ark. Moreover, as has been proven from DNA sequences, all seven of the species in the Panthera Lineage descended (evolved) independently from each other, and therefore, it would have been absolutely necessary for a pair of cats from all seven of the species in the Panthera Lineage to have been aboard the ark. Furthermore, the same would have been true of the other seven lineages and all of their species—for a total of not just 2, but 82 cats!

All 41 species of cats are carnivores, and none of them hibernate. All 40 species of cats spray their very caustic urine all over everything that they wish to claim as their own. A male lion in captivity requires 8 pounds of food per day—that is 2,920 pounds of food that a male lion on board the ark would have needed to eat during its stay on board the ark—and its mate would have required 2,190 pounds of food. The total food requirement for the 82 cats would have been approximately 90,000 pounds of meat—90,000 pounds of meat that would have to have been fed to the cats by Noah and his family. And we are still talking about just the cats! And we have not yet gotten to the source of that 90,000 pounds of meat or the cats’ excrement!

We have today several hundred thousands of genetically discreet populations of animals that would necessarily have been aboard the ark 4,368 years ago, and during that time, thousands of genetically discreet populations of animals have become extinct, but would necessarily have been aboard the ark. DNA sequences do not lie, but Tas Walker and John Woodmorappe make a habit of it!

The purpose of the research was not to prove the theory of evolution or disprove the Bible; the purpose of the research was to get accurate data that will assist biologists in the protection of the biodiversity of the cat family and the other populations of wild animals—the very purpose of the ark!

Upvote 0