• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Do what your priest tells you?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by JasonV, Jul 17, 2019.

1. JasonV

JasonV Member

+74
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Someone joked on another thread that this is the typical TAW response to many things. Where does this teaching come from, to just ask your priest/confessor/spiritual father?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+11,204
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    It's common sense surely.

My priest is my teacher , my confessor , my supporter in my struggles, my Spiritual Father, in many respects he knows me better than I myself do.

You are a priest - do you not advise your flock as to how they should live , practice their faith etc ?

3. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+662
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Often a question may be regarding a personal situation, such as fasting with medical condition. Your priest or spiritual father will be able to customize a response to your situation. I am diabetic and I can no longer follow a strict Lenten fast for more than a day or two as it simply becomes too carb heavy. So we customized a fast that works for my health.

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,249
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hebrews 13 has the Scriptural reasons for it. but it's also all over the place in monastic literature (most recently that I read in the biography of Elder Joseph the hesychast).

5. JasonV

JasonV Member

+74
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I guess what I'm concerned about is following the advice of a priest who may not be the best person to consult. What if your priest is teaching something heretical? Would you still follow his advice?

Just thinking out loud if you will.

6. ArmyMatt

+11,249
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    no, if your priest advocates heresy you should not follow him.

7. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,218
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Scripture states that we should submit to the leadership of the Church (Hebrews 13); it also has the caveat that we should submit to God above all else. If a priest teaches something heretical, then I think it falls into the latter category.

8. JasonV

JasonV Member

+74
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yes I agree with what you are all saying here. It has just occurred to me that there have been, are, and will always be priests who do not have the love of God in them, and to constantly say "ask your priest" could in fact be detrimental in some cases.

9. ArmyMatt

+11,249
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    of course. Arius was somebody's priest.

10. The Faceless

The Faceless Has A Face

+370
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    You shouldn't attend a church led by a heretic whom you don't trust to begin with.

11. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+473
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    It seems like the unofficial first step to asking one's priest is to find a good priest to trust and follow first.