Do we still sin? Do we never sin again?

If you are saved, have salvation Do you still sin?

• Never and I don't need to ask for forgiveness anymore

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Only non Willful sins, while continuing to work toward not sinning. I ask for forgiveness.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I sin, wilful and unwillful Sins while continuing to work toward not sinning. I ask for forgiveness.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Orthodox believe that salvation is a lifelong process and we are not saved at a certain moment during our lives. We constantly struggle to overcome our sinful nature and we constantly pray for forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The premise is a bit off so I can't participate in the poll. (apologies) The bible doesn't instruct to ask for forgiveness, but to confess and God is faithful to forgive (1 John 1:9).
As far as sin goes, I tend to resonate with how it is described in Romans 7 and deal with it by confessing.

• Agree
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The premise is a bit off so I can't participate in the poll. (apologies) The bible doesn't instruct to ask for forgiveness, but to confess and God is faithful to forgive (1 John 1:9).
As far as sin goes, I tend to resonate with how it is described in Romans 7 and deal with it by confessing.

Matthew 6:9-13

Jesus teaches us how to pray and the instructions include asking God for forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 6:9-13

Jesus teaches us how to pray and the instructions include asking God for forgiveness.
It's there, I agree. However, If I confess my sins trusting that God will forgive them, this is an upgrade from the other activity that gets the biological elements of my body all worked up.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Michael Collum that the premise is off for me, so I could not participate in the poll either.
I was part of a thread recently where I posted Scripture to the belief to which I hold about this.
Since then I have realized more items supporting my belief that believers have no more sin:

The infamous 1 John 1:9 used out of context (he is obviously witnessing to the lost and doesn't begin to write to the believer until chapter two).... anyway, 1:9 is the ONLY place John writes about confessing sin.

And Paul NEVER writes about confessing sin.
If confessing sin after being forgiven for all sin was necessary I would think they would be writing a great deal about it, right?

And I present this verse to add to the others:

1 Corinthians 6:19 (NASB)
19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

The Holy Spirit of GOD lives within the believer, the believer IS NOT HIS OWN, but GOD'S. The Spirit does not sin.
Praise God!

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In a recent thread there was a discussion on the continuation, or ceasing, of sin after being saved and granted salvation.

I just want to get an idea of what people on this site believe fits their life and views on this subject.

I was born naturally in sin. I committed sin. However I underwent a change, effected by my belief in God, my repentance to God, my submitting my life to God.

I was Forgiven all my sins, against God, my trespasses against men, and was born supernaturally, by the Seed of God, by His Power.

Now, I sin no more. My standing WITH God, is forever sealed and my life, kept with Christ, because of the changes God has supernaturally effected within me, I am now a son of God.

I could not answer your pole; Because I still give and ask for forgiveness, between myself and other men, FOR Trespasses, intentional or unintentional.

Do we STILL sin? A man born of God? No.
Do we ever SIN again? A man born of God? No.

Trespass AGAINST men? Yes.
Sin AGAINST God? No.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a recent thread there was a discussion on the continuation, or ceasing, of sin after being saved and granted salvation.

I just want to get an idea of what people on this site believe fits their life and views on this subject.

Even our mistakes are correct. It just can be difficult to understand. Hence, why Paul said, "I do not even judge myself".

Unless you have transfigured or seen Jesus transfigured, like Paul, you should not consider your self perfect, however. As even Paul did.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what is born of God does not sin. so those who are growing in the Lord become divided into the objects of wrath and the objects of his mercy. the objects of wrath are those elements within us that are labeled by God as made for destruction. we correctly not sin in those things by dying to them and rejecting them or by denying yourself aka the flesh or old adam. the objects of mercy in us, which is the new man and spiritual life and communion with God, is correctly lived in by rejoicing therein and not denying the power of God.

Jesus said that the persecuted are blessed. he was talking about those that are persecuted by the inward evils in us due to we rejecting them and they keep trying to rule and reign in us. if we do not accept those things in us then it is manifest that it is not I that sin, but sin in me. therefore the spiritual man does not sin and the son of perdition is going to be destroyed by God, and the more we steadfastly only cling to and love God with all we are, the less power the son of perdition has upon us.

the church has found that it was good for people to remain in a humble state due to the times when the Lord appears to draw away from them and they feel left in their own darkness. this is why faith is such an important element in God and why humans should orient their lives not by the conditions and ways of the world but rather by always clinging to God by the spiritual life that God always desires to give freely to us, aka the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Even our mistakes are correct. It just can be difficult to understand. Hence, why Paul said, "I do not even judge myself".

Unless you have transfigured or seen Jesus transfigured, like Paul, you should not consider your self perfect, however. As even Paul did.

I don't believe it is about what I consider, or what other men consider, BUT rather what God considers.

I simply Trust what the Lord reveals.

Matt 28
[20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo,
I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Deut 18 [13] Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe it is about what I consider, or what other men consider, BUT rather what God considers.

I simply Trust what the Lord reveals.

Matt 28
[20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo,
I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Deut 18 [13] Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

God Bless,
SBC

That is in line with the verse I quoted:

1 Corinthians 4
1 This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. 2 Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

One of the verses, anyway.

Regardless, Paul states, and I certainly agree with him, that he does not even judge his own self.

That is the opposite of what many take as a view, which is that they view themselves in a terrible, self-destructive fashion, even when they have done nothing wrong. This is my greatest concern, because though I say "many" I might also say "few". For the most prone to this are those who were stuck in an ultimately unbelieving group or church, and those who are pure at heart but have lost their moorings because of negativity against them from the world.

Not judging your own self is typically a difficult task to accomplish.

Though, the Helper Spirit can guide any and all into how that works.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is in line with the verse I quoted:

1 Corinthians 4
1 This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. 2 Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

One of the verses, anyway.

Regardless, Paul states, and I certainly agree with him, that he does not even judge his own self.

That is the opposite of what many take as a view, which is that they view themselves in a terrible, self-destructive fashion, even when they have done nothing wrong. This is my greatest concern, because though I say "many" I might also say "few". For the most prone to this are those who were stuck in an ultimately unbelieving group or church, and those who are pure at heart but have lost their moorings because of negativity against them from the world.

Not judging your own self is typically a difficult task to accomplish.

Though, the Helper Spirit can guide any and all into how that works.

Agree.

Judging is an odd concept. Judging is a pronouncement, of a predetermined "sentence".

Meaning; A sentence, is simply pre-known, revealed by consequence of an action, per-known.

Thus- Acts of men are given - do this or do that.
Do this - your sentence shall be this
Do that - your sentence shall be that

Do this - and on a certain day the Judge shall announce your sentence.
Do that - and on a certain day the Judge shall announce your sentence.

After the announcing of your sentence, By the Judge,
Your this or that - shall commence (ie carried out)

The sentencing, and pronouncement by the Judge -
is based on Records.
The records are the evidence, of what applies to this or that which one has done.

Regarding spiritual things;
Gods books, are his evidence.
Mans "defense" or otherwise, opportunity to speak, is via his soul.
Mans "mind", is deceptive, can lie.
Mans "soul" is impartial, meaning it is BOTH, Gods, and the mans.
The mans "soul" will speak in agreement to believing.
The books will reveal the man was not saved.
Thus -
Prophecy shall be fulfilled -
1) All will confess belief.
2) All will not be saved.
3) Some souls shall retain life forever.
4) Some shall have life departed from their souls, and their souls destroyed.

Effect of the sentencing, accomplished.

The Judging - is simply the pronouncement.
We can Judge ourselves, Judge others - yet it has no effect without the power to sentence.

Or, we can simply, listen to Christ's pronouncement - His word - and know by what we do, this or that, THAT, we trust what He says is TRUE, and agree with it.

The is not us Judging, but rather, agreeing with Christ. :)
( Which appears to be your own view )

That is not to say - for a man to not be "discriminatory". Ya, I know, that has been impressed as politically incorrect and a dirty word.

However Scripture teaches to discriminate. Which simply means to choose this thing and not that thing. Choosing this, results in, agreement with Christ. Choosing that, results in, disagreement with Christ.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is impossible to controvert the clear words of 1 John 1:

True spiritually born again from above Christ-followers continue to sin, fall short of the perfect glory of God.
They do not lose their salvation when they sin, to whatever degree. They are FORGIVEN because of the Holy Blood of Jesus the God-Man shed FOR them.

1 John 1...God Is Light
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light,
and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have FELLOWSHIP (no sin barrier!) with Him and yet walk in the darkness,
we lie and do not PRACTICE the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light (FOLLOW Jesus' example) as He Himself is in the Light,
we have fellowship with "one another" (BELIEVERS),
and the blood of Jesus His Son CLEANSES us from ALL sin.
8 If we (Believers after salvation) say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we CONFESS (agree with God about) our sins,
He is faithful and righteous to FORGIVE us our sins and to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned,
we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 John 2:2
and He (Jesus) Himself is the propitiation (satisfaction before God) FOR our((BELIEVERS) sins;
and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.(WHO ACCEPTS HIM)

1 John 4:10
In this is love, not that we loved God,
but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation FOR our sins.

Revelation 1:5
and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
To Him who loves us and released us from our sins BY His blood—

Upvote 0