Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We don't have a will that can bring salvation about, no. It's not in your capacity, and it's an incapacity of will, not an incapacity to decide.

As you've pointed out, so you must realize, the dialogue is limited, and the comment is limited.

The question of freedom has been tripartite for centuries, and so the question and its answers are ambiguous until the concept of free will is better defined.

For those who view free will as the ability to do what you want, Calvin has already agreed with that view. And our wills are all sinful, so herein is the highway to Hell.
Of course ..and I agree we cannot "will" salvation and get it... cause it is God who grants it not us... The synergy part is what is needed (for us) like a consent so that God can act in our lives. The gift is all God's... He is the one who bestowes it to us. Our part is though that of "remaining in Him" as "He remains in us" as it says in the parable of the vine:

4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
This is the perfect example of how we need to sustain a relationship with Christ in order to "bear fruit" ...

John 15 1-14

1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
11These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

As we can see there is always a "synergy" if you "keep my commands" then you shall abide in my love...etc. That proves that man has to consent to the command of Christ to be "in the vine" with Chrsit and not be cut of.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, that would be represented by the idea of "agreeing in one" with God in Presbyterian theology. That's a cross-cutting concept present in faith (reliance necessary for agreement), repentance (change indicating awareness), and confession (homologomen, coming to the same conclusion, not simply penance).

But they're brought about in the person through regeneration. So the concept is compatibilistic. New birth by the Spirit is monergistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
As we can see there is always a "synergy" if you "keep my commands" then you shall abide in my love...etc. That proves that man has to consent to the command of Christ to be "in the vine" with Chrsit and not be cut of.

Responding just because i love synergy! tee hee!

I find in the synergy if love is the focus then good things come out of it

if control of fear is the focus .. then it just falls apart and quite often falls short of the glory .. that the synergy is imitating.

love that synergy .

Upvote 0