Do we feel the Holy Spirit or else?

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have heard countless Christians and pastors leading services say, they 'felt' the presence of the Holy spirit while worshiping. I have searched scriptures tirelessly to find any evidence pointing to a 'feeling' of the presence of the spirit of God outside of the visible manifestations in Acts 2. Some have told me they have been to churches where they didn't 'feel' God's presence. Is the Holy Spirit a person we can feel?
Do we seek for sensationalism when dealing with the Holy Spirit or else?
Please help!

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is the Holy Spirit a person we can feel?
Yes.
That feeling isn't required and we need not seek it out, but it's great when it happens. It is hard not to feel Him when you are slain in the Spirit, for example.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes.

That feeling isn't required and we need not seek it out, but it's great when it happens. It is hard not to feel Him when you are slain in the Spirit, for example.
What is the feeling like? If it's there, how does one discern it is of God and not something else?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the feeling like?
His Spirit feels like different things at different times: peaceful, exciting, purifying, joy; like the fruit of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have heard countless Christians and pastors leading services say, they 'felt' the presence of the Holy spirit while worshiping. I have searched scriptures tirelessly to find any evidence pointing to a 'feeling' of the presence of the spirit of God outside of the visible manifestations in Acts 2. Some have told me they have been to churches where they didn't 'feel' God's presence. Is the Holy Spirit a person we can feel?
Please help!

I asked God about that once, and He said that if we go looking for sensory experiences, the devil is always there to give us one! From then on, I mistrusted feelings in connection with the Holy Spirit.

But when the Holy Spirit is around, I sense peace and joy. Those are okay, because they are fruit of the Spirit.
But we don't "feel" the Holy Spirit because He is in our spirit, and that is below our emotions. But when He speaks to our spirit, then our mind is enlightened with new insights into our faith, and in God's word, and our reaction can be "wow!".

The Holy Spirit has a way of letting us know that He is around and in us. He increases our faith and love. He brings the reality of God to us, so that we are free to talk to Him as our best buddy. He gives us insight and understanding in His Word. He uses the prophetic word to encourage us. He speaks to our spirit and we recognise His voice because it has a quality all of its own.

But George Harrison sang, "I want to know you Lord. I want to feel you Lord", but he wasn't singing about the Lord of the Bible. He was addressing his song to some god who came out of the Eastern mysticism he was dabbling with at the time.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,933.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Joy has also been likened to strength....

9 And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the Lord your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.
10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the Lord is your strength. - Nehemiah 8

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Please help!

In any relationship we feel joy and love being in the presence of someone we love and are encouraged by.

Expressing this joy and love gives us great emotional release. Being in the presence of others doing the same is equally a great experience.

It is hard then to say, was the Holy Spirit present or not. Because for believers wherever they go the Holy Spirit is present.

What we can express is when in a church there is no open display of joy or faith, and everyone appears to be expressing their belief, but not experiencing much in their hearts. People often describe such situations as dead. This is unfortunately harsh and judgemental as people express their faith in different ways.

I tend to focus on praising the Lord wherever I go and in whatever circumstance. We are called to be light, so let us be Gods light in all that we do, Amen.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the feeling like? If it's there, how does one discern it is of God and not something else?
It is different for each person. It may be different over time for the same person.

The last verse of Hebrews 5 talks about mature believers having their senses exercised to discern between good and evil. Our Lord said that His sheep would know His voice.

Over time as you grow in HIM you will start to recognize His presence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luk 24:32 And they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"

kaiō: a primary verb; to set on fire, that is, kindle or (by implication) consume: - burn, light.

This accurately describes the sensation of His Risen presence. And remember the Holy Spirit is Jesus' spirit...or God's spirit.

Rom 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ is in you,

Certainly the Spirit of Christ Jesus is a Person and He certainly is felt. But we don't make a big thing out of the feeling. To me it is like if I met you sister...suppose you wear a beautiful perfume...and all I am interested in is that aroma...but not interested in you as a Person....it is silly,immature...and maybe a bit rude or shallow.

Kaio appears 12 times in KJV
burning, 6
Joh 5:35 (2), Rev 4:5, Rev 8:8, Rev 8:10, Rev 19:20
burned, 3
Joh 15:6, 1Co 13:3, Heb 12:18
burn, 1
Luk 24:32
burneth, 1
Rev 21:8
light, 1
Mat 5:15

I just looked at the last reference...remember kaio is a primary verb.

Mat 5:15 Nor do they light(kaio) a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.

What comes to mind is Proverbs

Pro 20:27 The spirit of a man is the lamp of the LORD, Searching all the inner depths of his heart.

So when the two disciples were with the risen Lord Jesus their hearts burned within them....they felt His burning presence in their LAMP---THEIR SPIRIT!! And when filled with Him our SPIRIT shines light for all around us.

Wonder what the other references point to??!!
Thanks sister!
By the way I stayed with Pastor Henry Zaake in Namasuba for 3 weeks years ago...A wonderful brother in Christ.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
FC Barnes and Janice Brown singing how the Lord put joy in their soul...

Yes, joy, peace are fruit of the Holy Spirit. The feelings i asked about are those tingly ones people say they sense while in worship and can tell when the Holy spirit is absent or present in an atmosphere of worship. It sounds as is the presence is tangible.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Luk 24:32 And they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"

kaiō: a primary verb; to set on fire, that is, kindle or (by implication) consume: - burn, light.

This accurately describes the sensation of His Risen presence. And remember the Holy Spirit is Jesus' spirit...or God's spirit.

Rom 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ is in you,

Certainly the Spirit of Christ Jesus is a Person and He certainly is felt. But we don't make a big thing out of the feeling. To me it is like if I met you sister...suppose you wear a beautiful perfume...and all I am interested in is that aroma...but not interested in you as a Person....it is silly,immature...and maybe a bit rude or shallow.

Kaio appears 12 times in KJV
burning, 6
Joh 5:35 (2), Rev 4:5, Rev 8:8, Rev 8:10, Rev 19:20
burned, 3
Joh 15:6, 1Co 13:3, Heb 12:18
burn, 1
Luk 24:32
burneth, 1
Rev 21:8
light, 1
Mat 5:15

I just looked at the last reference...remember kaio is a primary verb.

Mat 5:15 Nor do they light(kaio) a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.

What comes to mind is Proverbs

Pro 20:27 The spirit of a man is the lamp of the LORD, Searching all the inner depths of his heart.

So when the two disciples were with the risen Lord Jesus their hearts burned within them....they felt His burning presence in their LAMP---THEIR SPIRIT!! And when filled with Him our SPIRIT shines light for all around us.

Wonder what the other references point to??!!
Thanks sister!
By the way I stayed with Pastor Henry Zaake in Namasuba for 3 weeks years ago...A wonderful brother in Christ.

That sheds more light even though the referenced example was about Jesus in the flesh. The spirit dwells within us so we have joy, peace etc. The issue is, i have heard people express that they felt the presence of the Holy spirit in an atmosphere during worship and sometimes not(like a sensational experience). Does the Holy spirit manifest like that or these are extreme expectations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the Holy Spirit manifest like that or these are extreme expectations?
That happens, but He moves however He wants to or feels He needs to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, joy, peace are fruit of the Holy Spirit. The feelings i asked about are those tingly ones people say they sense while in worship and can tell when the Holy spirit is absent or present in an atmosphere of worship. It sounds as is the presence is tangible.

Loyce, That kind of thing you speak of is not a reliable thing to do.
We walk by faith. He said He is with us.
He said where 2 or more are gathered together in My name there I am in the midst.
We believe it. May not feel it...but our confession , our faith, says He is with us.
When we give heed to "no feelings" we are easy prey for the enemy to bring us down into a pit of depression and hopelessness....all because we refuse to believe the word, and are demanding feelings instead.

Also....it is a favourite tactic by many preachers to get you to believe that they are great men of God....by saying things like..."I feel His presence in this place"...."I feel the anointing people..." Yeajh yeah...so what!
And on the other side worship leaders do the same thing...only they will say that they do not feel His presence YET....so everybody needs to worship harder and praise harder until we break through...
break through to what?
Feelings of course.
I know because I used to do both things!

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It is different for each person. It may be different over time for the same person.

The last verse of Hebrews 5 talks about mature believers having their senses exercised to discern between good and evil. Our Lord said that His sheep would know His voice.

Over time as you grow in HIM you will start to recognize His presence.
Thank You. Personally as i have matured, i learn to discern the voice of God in my spirit. Sometimes the Spirit expressly reminds me of a scripture while am in a given situation. Discernment is exercised by being filled with the Holy spirit or yielding to Him and the word of God. The 'feelings' experience is one thing am not personally conscious of especially during worship. I just know in my spirit that God is with me while i worship and connect to Him. Once, while still young in Christ, i went to a false church and just heard a voice tell me to leave. I stayed for a while until an usher scolded me for sitting down during worship and the Holyspirit reminded me of the warning earlier. My departure wasn't based on feelings but on hearing God's voice.
The word 'senses' in Hebrews 5 is aistheterion in greek which means faculty of the mind for judgement,perception or understanding. This would be far from 'feelings' which are not a mind issue.
I don't know how some people tell the presence/absence of the Holy spirit via feelings in a congregation?

Last edited:
Reactions: WESTOZZIE
Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how some people tell the presence/absence of the Holy spirit via feelings in a congregation?

Perhaps they discern via their born again spirit.
For instance I know when I or my family are being attacked as I feel a prickly pressure type feeling on my head. It is witchcraft aimed at us....usually manifests as headaches. I simply take authority and resist the evil one, and pray blessing over those attacking us...and over my family..and it recedes away to nothing.
But when it comes to whether the Spirit is present or absent in a congregation ---that is not true as the Word says He is present.
But the people may have closed spirits...and thus no one there will feel anything.
Not that we seek to feel anything.
They may approach God through their intellect and not have grown their spirit man much yet.
Main thing is God is with us, and loves us all wherever we are at, and however we worship Him.

Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It sounds as is the presence is tangible.

There are times when His presence is very tangible, outpourings of the Spirit upon human flesh.
But it is the heart..the inner man that is feeling Him.

2Ch 5:13 indeed it came to pass, when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying: "For He is good, For His mercy endures forever," that the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud,
2Ch 5:14 so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud; for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God.

Study the words in this verse sister.
The house of the Lord? That is your Body/soul and spirit...the Temple of God.
God fills your temple--you. with a cloud(His Spirit).
The effects of being filled with His glory sometimes can be overpowering for the flesh....and you cannot stand under the weightiness of His presence. A FELT WEIGHTY GLORY.

This is what God is..and does at times....and because He has done it before in times past...we tend to seek it.
But they were not seeking "it" but Him.
And notice the glory came in response to their focus on His mercy and goodness.

This speaks of churches that focus on the grace of God...they shall experience the glory.
While churches that tend to be legalistic do not sense His glory.

Upvote 0