Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know many christians who believe that we do, but the only single verse I can find to support this is:

Psalm 34:7
The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him,
And delivers them.

Which to my mind suggests more of an omnipresent Holy Spirit kind of role, unless there is more than one angel of the Lord, which I have been told there isn't more than one, he is the only one.

What do you think? And please just try to answer the question instead of devolving the discussion into another bitter argument. We all see darkly through a mirror, so let's just get over ourselves, shall we?

I mean: thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter :D

Reactions: Hmm

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟166,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I know many christians who believe that we do, but the only single verse I can find to support this is:

And delivers them.

Which to my mind suggests more of an omnipresent Holy Spirit kind of role, unless there is more than one angel of the Lord, which I have been told there isn't more than one, he is the only one.

What do you think? And please just try to answer the question instead of devolving the discussion into another bitter argument. We all see darkly through a mirror, so let's just get over ourselves, shall we?

Yes.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We all see darkly through a mirror, so let's just get over ourselves, shall we?

I love that!

I don't know whether we have a guardian angel or not but when we are given help when we're really in need it often feels like it comes from an angel, or from God working through others.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's believed by many that the angel of the Lord is a reference to the Messiah. Pre-incarnate Jesus.

"The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, And delivers them". Certainly sounds like a description of Jesus to me.

Upvote 0

mndgn.j

not a holier than thou
May 9, 2022
utah
✟11,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe we do. Angel simply means messenger.
However, Once, when I was a non believer, I prayed and asked God to show me somehow that he was real. Two days later I was walking back from school and I seen a homeless man sitting on the side of the road. Back then, I was a lot more judgmental and so I would avoid homeless people because I thought their being desperate meant unpredictability. Anyways, this time as I approached the man, I thought instead of crossing the road purposely going out of my way to avoid him I would continue walking and just pass the man. As soon as I passed the man I felt a hand on my shoulder, as I turned around it was the man but something was off about him. What struck me as odd was this wasn't your typical homeless man he wasn't tired looking, or drunk ,etc. he looked normal. Without any hesitation the man said "God wants to see you in his kingdom of heaven." and he turned and walked away. Another thing that was odd to me was how he spoke perfect English with no accent. Now of course, I don't believe every homeless person has an accent although I suppose you can argue we all have one. nonetheless to clarify: At the time I lived in a rough city on the east coast of the US. 90% of people spoke with a very decerning dialect, tone, vocab etc. so this man was out of the ordinary in that sense too. It is my thought that this man was no man at all but an angel sent by God to do as angels are meant to do, deliver a message. I could be wrong in this thought, but regardless, to me it wouldn't make sense for us to have a guardian angel when we have something better. The Holy Spirit of God.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Believer000

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Feb 23, 2018
Coventry
✟25,222.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The devil has his demons around unbelievers so I believe God has His angels around believers. There is evidence in the Bible of angels taking the form of man - and there is even accounts that I've heard of in modern times of angels who appear in human form in times of emergencies/time of need.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And delivers them.

There is no verse that says we all have a guardian angel. About that verse some say that could have been Christ. Like the " And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries? So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant? Then the Commander of the LORD’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy.” And Joshua did so."

That "angel" said nothing when Joshua worshiped him. We know from the word you never worship them they always tell you to not do it. But why would we need a guardian angel? Well think. We are one in Christ we in Him Him in us and in the Father. Christ is always with us.. never will leave us nor forsake us :) But could there be? Sure! Unwise for ME to say YES when it is not written.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rwb

Jun 19, 2020
Branson
✟40,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heb 1:14 Are not all the angels ministering spirits sent out [by God] to serve (accompany, protect) those who will inherit salvation? [Of course they are!]
Bible Gateway passage: Hebrews 1 - Amplified Bible

This is the verse that came to my mind as well. If I have rightly understood, I see where it is necessary for God's elect to be protected by the angels until we are indwelt with the Holy Spirit through new birth. Once we have the Holy Spirit believers are still watched over, and guarded so that even death cannot separate us from the love of God that is through Christ Jesus our Lord. So I guess my answer is yes, believers do have spirits from God watching over them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inasmuch as God is sure to have angels wherever they ought to be, I don't see a point in wondering whether each person has nor needs to have a personal "guardian" angel.

I do know that even if one is totally encircled by angels, but is not operating in the will of God, all those angels will be standing with their hands folded.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's believed by many that the angel of the Lord is a reference to the Messiah. Pre-incarnate Jesus.

"The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, And delivers them". Certainly sounds like a description of Jesus to me.
Jesus is not an angel, per Hebrews 1.

Angels are ministering spirits and are under Jesus’ authority.

I used to make that argument, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is not an angel, per Hebrews 1.

Angels are ministering spirits and are under Jesus’ authority.

I used to make that argument, though.

It's not meant to be taken literally, any more than "son of man" or "lamb of God"

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

And delivers them.

Scripture doesn't exactly come right out and say that we each have a guardian angel. But it's abundantly clear in Scripture that the angels are assigned to watch out over us, and Jesus straight up says that children have assigned angels in heaven (Matthew 18:10).

That is enough, in my mind, to say that yes we do have guardian angels.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BravoM

Jun 18, 2022
TN
✟2,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Scripture doesn't exactly come right out and say that we each have a guardian angel. But it's abundantly clear in Scripture that the angels are assigned to watch out over us, and Jesus straight up says that children have assigned angels in heaven (Matthew 18:10).

That is enough, in my mind, to say that yes we do have guardian angels.

-CryptoLutheran
That's no such indication. Opinions are subjective no facts.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's no such indication. Opinions are subjective no facts.

"Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" - Hebrews 1:14

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven." - Matthew 18:10

Those two passages alone seem well enough sufficient that God's angels watch over us.

Why do you disagree?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0